• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mal Fet

Recruit
1 Badges
Jun 21, 2018
  • BATTLETECH
So, I've been trying a few multiplayer games, and in one, my opponent used a strategy I found a little annoying.

Long story short, they have four light mechs, all with LRMs, and two (at least) pilots with sensor lock. My mechs were a pretty normal assortment, I think, but none of my pilots had sensor lock. Long story short, they simply kept at extreme range, and out of sight as much as possible, and kept using sensor lock to pummel me with LRMs.

After about 10 rounds of this, I got bored/annoyed and resigned. I might have been able to pull out a win once they ran out of ammo, but frankly wasn't interesting in seeing how many tons of ammo they had.

So, ok, they definitely weren't cheating, but it made the match long, boring, and annoying. Any thoughts on this strategy? Is it common? Is there anything to do to counter it?

I have never seen such a thing. I believe it happened cause given enough time anything can happen. I think if you had a single SL the game would have been a lot shorter. Also there are tricks of positioning that can cause an opponents spotters or SL mechs to move into spots where you can take shots at them. There is a valid kiting tactic which can make for long games, but the thing with the locusts is not it. Look on the hbs unofficial discord for players who will not run lances designed to annoy you into defeat. I would post a link but I an on my phone right now.

There are light Mechs with LRMs? Unless its all Locust, I guess you are playing non-stock. And if you play non-stock well... as you can see, anything goes and it can get quite silly. Most obvious answer, you also need LRMs and sensor lock, which you should always have at least one, if not more, of regardless. Because even without LRMs, it's fantastic evasion removal.

There are more complex strategies too, like Red Dawn.

There's a couple of strategies. Tbh, solely fielding LRM lances is not the wisest thing to do. However, if you do not know what's coming at you, I recommend a mixed Lance Loadout, including Pilots, to be better prepared ...