• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Brandenburg III

A Smooth Operator
25 Badges
Jun 22, 2007
  • Lead and Gold
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • The Kings Crusade
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • East India Company Collection
  • Darkest Hour
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
Lately I’ve been playing a lot of Rome since I downloaded the Epigoni mod which finally makes the game playable for me. I have tried vanilla and Imperium in the past but I could never stick with Rome for more than one session. Now that I think I might actually like Rome more than CK and HOI (the bottom rung of Paradox games IMO) I thought I should learn to play it.

I should also add that I have no goals or aims for this AAR other than to survive, learn and see how I ought to take notes if I ever choose to do a proper AAR. So this is entirely a selfish adventure. ;) It’ll either end upon my nation’s demise, if I felt I’ve learned enough or if I become bored with it.

What I’m looking for are basically tips, ideas on what to do at certain points, etc. Keep in mind that sometimes I may play faster than I update so don’t become too annoyed if you don’t see your tactics in play. They may be seen in another AAR attempt... either that or I probably thought you were dead wrong. :cool:

What I definitely won’t do is become a republic or anything that’ll have the populist’s down my throat. I’ve only ever attempted one game that had them - not Rome - and I didn’t care for it much. Maybe after I learn the basics I’ll try the other governments. For now, its Monarchies and the like where I can maintain control over everything.

With that said, I always choose out of the way countries rather than the predictable Rome, Macedonia, etc. Here I chose Bosporan Kingdom. It’ll allow me plenty of chances to screw up, learn how to use a navy, my armies, colonization and war. So, I’ve already played the first update.

I already had a nice Bosporan game but decided to restart to create this AAR. I’ll do what I can to recreate these steps but chances are pretty high that I won’t. Anyway, day 1 I filled my idea slots. Military: Heavy Infantry Economy: Blockade Efficiency Civic: Defensive bonus I’m not sure what these are supposed to be called but I’ll get to it. Also, I declared war on the OPM Siraces, made my leader the general and passed the Discourage Piracy decision for the stability bump.

Months passed while I battled and sieged and while waiting I was able to secure alliances with both Pontus and Olbia. Olbia sent two or three offers till I finally accepted. I figured I’d be able to get them annexed by one of the barbarians or something.

9h59x4.jpg

16 December I annexed Siraces, who had iron which was one of my missions. Its going to be nice product for my armies. And in February I began to build 5 units of Pezhetairoi.

Late November I declared war on Rhoxalani who happened to be allied with Scythia and Colchis. All three of these tribes were allied with one another and I figured I had to do something sooner rather than later. Olbia rejected my call to arms but Pontus came along. Bosporus Kingdom* & Pontus v. Rhoxolani*, Scythia and Colchis.

With Pontus and I bordering Colchis, they were the first to fall. I took Coraxi in April and Pontus took their capital in early June. 5 June Colchis agreed to peace, ceding Coraxi (fish) and began paying .318 in tribute.

2w7lrg4.jpg

When Rhoxolani almost occupied one of my provinces, Pontus showed up just in time to scare them away. Run runaway.

21jpvsl.jpg

By October I had occupied Scythia’s Taurica and toward the end of November I decided to use my CB against Olbia to declare war. I lost only one stability point due to great relations. Its better than the two I would’ve received had I declared a week later.

8 June 477 Pontus occupied both Rhoxolani provinces which kept them busy, allowing me to occupy the Scythia capital later in the month. Their annexation followed.

While busy with this, Olbia occupied Taurica and I took their capital six months later. Battles were common but I was able to beat them back every time, using the terrain to my advantage.

Toward the end of 478 Pontus wasn’t making peace with Rhoxalani which meant I wasn’t going to be able to annex them and I decided to end it, forcing the region to pay 40 and .063 in tribute.

5l5o9c.jpg

Early November 479 I was able to retake Taurica and annexed Olbia (fish.) Which ends my first session. For now I’m going to rest up, replenish my manpower and station the bulk of my troops near Colchis. Now that they’re under my hand I’ll be able to war them without bringing in Pontus and without worrying about a massive alliance on all sides.

2d93ggh.jpg

- How often do you use mercenaries? I find manpower is always a problem since it crawls at such a slow pace. As of this moment I think I have three merc units.

I didn't use mercenaries until my first manpower shortage during a really awful war, and then I used them to save my bacon. As I rebuild, I phase them out and replace them with regulars.

Fleet building this early may not be worth doing, except to have a small anti-piracy fleet. It's so expensive and anyone dangerous will outnumber you ten to one anyway.

Nice opening moves. :)

About mercenaries, I do exactly what Phargle does.

phargle & JDMS: That’s what I figured. Guess I’ll have to do some waiting. As for building boats, I don’t yet have wood so that’s not an issue. I probably won’t begin building them until I get a larger army anyway.

Salt: Thanks.

16 May 480 Maeotae became Greek with more good news following in Olbia when barbarians were integrated bringing their power down to 1 in the province.

2rwvqs1.jpg

The next two years were silent with the exception of the rest of the barbarians disappearing in Olbia. However about six months later a bunch of barbarians from Moesi showed up at near full strength. It took nearly a year and a half to bring them down. And then I was finally able to lower military maintenance so I could begin building my reserves to replace my mercs.

Looking back on it I thought it pretty odd that a strong barbarian group from Moesi would wind their way around those other regions, smacking right into Olbia.

21jadd1.jpg

March 486 I built my first horse unit and had plans to build 4 more, which would place my army at max allowance after I’d disband the five merc units. But two years later the mercs decided they didn’t like not getting paid so I let them go. There were only about 1500 left out of those 5 units anyway.

a2x301.jpg

February 489 the Selucids annexed Armenia so with that news, and the barbarian threat no higher than three in the west, I moved my troops to the east in case Pontus DoW’d Iberia. August 4 my 5 horse troops were ready and integrated with my main army so I canceled Colchis’ tribute, declaring war one month later without the help of Pontus.

The declaration cost me -2 stab points but it was only a matter of time before Pontus declared war - I had more than enough cash to cover the stability cost.

25 November I destroyed the Colchis army and by 12 April had occupied both their provinces. Annexation followed one day later.

294nfa8.jpg

That same day I declared war on Iberia, not wanting Pontus or the Selucids to take them. With only three armies against me it wasn’t a match. I occupied Iberia’s Meskheti in February, obtained MA from the Selucids on 10 March and later that month, occupied the Iberian capital. This also resulted in annexation. I’m sensing a trend...

23mlfu8.jpg

Before declaring war against Iberia I checked my relations with the Selucids which was high or I would’ve used Iberia as a buffer tribute state. However, since relations were good and were pushed up to +194 after the MA agreement, I decided for annexation.

For now I’m going to rest, create an additional 7 military units for a second army I plan on building and go from there. My next target will likely be Rhoxolani.

New territory:
Phasis - Fish
Soani - Wood
Iberia - Grain
Meskheti - Iron

Regional Map
4v1uz4.jpg

Good work. After that, it'll probably be best to just rest and colonize the areas around your borders.

Keeping the Seleucids peaceful towards you is indeed paramount for now. Though if you ever get a chance to snatch some provinces when they are at war and/or having some rebellions, use it.

JDMS: Yeah, I plan to colonize a while. I’m also planning to bring a book ;)

phargle: I tried, it still read impossible. I’ll be checking every year or two but at least relations are still high.

Qorten: They’re going to have quite a rebellion for me to become involved at this stage. But I’m definitely keeping a lookout.

By the time the next session began I started taking it easy. 492 went by with Saoni converting and in 493 I declared citizenship for sale just before my long-standing members in government began dying off. As said before, they make reserves for a reason.

e01ki1.jpg

494 Pontus DoW’d Odrysae, which I helped them with. The following month Pontus annexed the OPM. Later that year Pontus and Macedonia allied. Its an alliance I’m not really liking because its an area I’d like to expand later on.

In 495 I disbanded all militia - and the two I couldn’t I sent to a neighboring barbarian province - to make way for new recruits. Later I encouraged small share holders and slaughtered another pig.

2vhyj9z.jpg

1 February 496 my militia finally got their chance to take on a barbarian tribe. Somebody ain’t gonna make it.

i4ojg3.jpg

Around August Pontus went to war again, this time against Tylus. Pontus*, Macedonia & Bosporus Kingdom v. Tylus & Scordisci. Two months later the disturbed barbarians joined with a neighboring tribe and began marching on my eastern provinces. Miraculously the province held out against the barbarian assault and I was able to beat them back due to their low moral in late December.

2njkepl.jpg

23 February 497 a white peace was signed with Tylus and I ended the war on my half. But by April Pontus would annex Tylus, expanding deeper into Europe. June the Parthian League declared independence from the Seleucids but the rebellion just wasn’t big enough for me to become involved. I’m still rebuilding my army and reserves.

ny8cuq.jpg

24 October 497 I finally took out the barbarians which left only 1 barbarian tribe with 5+ strength on my borders. I ought to be safe for a long while.

df9iet.jpg

By 498 the Seleucid war ended, leaving the Parthian League damaged but still alive. 499 was mostly uneventful but I did manage to lose 1 slave and canceled Rhox’s tribute so I could declare war on them at the start of 800.

f02nux.jpg

17 August of that year I had completely occupied Rhox, demanding their annexation which leaves us at the end of another ten year updatre.

Pic taken around the start of 800 before my war with Rhox
nq747n.jpg

Good work. A very traditional opening with the Bosporans, as there aren't that many easy alternatives.

Good job. As Qorten said, there aren't many different things you can do early as the Bosporans.

I agree with you about Rome; because of the game mechanics making really explosive growth more difficult compared to EU3 (fewer provinces to conquer, barbarians, slow colonisation, manpower actually means something) and the starting map having a handful of huge major powers and a bunch of minors, I think it's probably the most challenging of the EU3 engine games.

Anyway I'm a big fan of Rome gameplay AARs so I'll watch this :)

Qorten & JDMS: For the moment I’m just trying to batter my neighbors. Earlier I had considered a DoW on Rhodes since they weren’t guaranteed by anyone but thought the rebels too much of a risk.

Enewald:
They’re already at war with the Seleucids and Pontus is my only ally. I wouldn’t want to be without one now that I border Seleucids. Plus, Pontus would destroy me with my depleted manpower.

Rabid: Without MM, EUIII is just too easy... and with the latest versions of MM its unplayable due to how slow it is. Rome is the more challenging game but its limitations come in the variety of nations available rather than design. When CK2 is released, I hope its more like Rome than the current version of CK. Though I was never a huge fan of CK... I put it just above the HOI I/II. It makes me wonder why people love those games so much. I don’t get it.

Good to have you along.

I started out taking it slow... but I had taken a break from playing Rome and returned to the game wanting war. The best of intentions... So I declared war on Atmani on 15 March 501... four days later the Seleucids annexed that Azerbaijani country.

1z6fq5w.jpg

By July the small territory agreed to peace, paying me tribute of .333 every month. Tribute was my goal but I was hoping to extract more, like the .7 that was available after I conquered their capital. It took them a month before they conceded defeat.

On my way home I decided Dacia was next but they were allied with Illyria. I declared war 29 August. Illyria* & Dacia v. Bosporus Kingdom* and Pontus.

vht4ia.jpg

The fortifications in Dacia were strangely strong even though they were only level 1. It took until 10 May for me to bring down the capital. Battles broke out every now and then but Pontus was able to distract the Illyrians enough for me to move into Dacia’s other province. Unfortunately, that was also a tough nut to crack. I’d wait in vain for it to fall through the rest of the year.

1 January 503 Dacia was able to recover their capital with Illyrian help and due to this large force, I had to flee Dacia’s other province. However, while Illyria was busy chasing me around, Pontus sacked every single one of Illyria’s provinces by 11 April. And since I didn’t want Pontus to take anymore territory in the region and considered I could return to Dacia later, I decided to force Illyria into peace. Illyria was to pay .12 in tribute.

33kaz55.jpg

Since I was already bordering Scordisci and they were a stab-free DoW, I decided to go against them two days after the peace with Illyria. Bosporus Kingdom v. Scordisci* and Taurisci. By 7 October I occupied the Scordisci capital and in June of 504 I demanded their annexation, ending the war. I also executed one of my new prisoners for the gold... and because I like the execute/banish button.

30k7d4k.jpg

In 505 I colonized Zinchi (grain), absorbing the barbarian population just two years later, ending their status as a colony. Isn’t it nice when they all get along?

eta3io.jpg

In 508 Macedonia declared war on Illyria ending my hopes there’d be no expansion into Europe. Pontus decided to help Macedonia. But I was able to colonize Legae (game) and began construction on a small anti-piracy fleet numbering no more than 6 vessels. Of course the need for one was brought up after I discovered a pirate fleet on my shores.

In 509 Illyria was divided between Pontus and Macedonia. And they seemed so promising.

18duol.jpg

Rounding out the ten year update, my leader died in June of that year, making way making way for someone whose... good enough.

33jsdpc.jpg

And I was wondering, what value is there in the religious prestige of a province? Its probably in the pdf manual somewhere but I refuse to read while on my computer.

n62a2o.jpg

Looks like things are going well for the Bosporans. Maybe conquer the small country between you and Pontus next? If not for the fact that the Seleucids may decide to join in and take some provinces I would recommend conquering Pontus.

JDMS: I think its habit forming.

Lofman: I believe they’re allied with Daci and Gatae but I’m going to try to find a way around that.

Enewald:
Right now Pontus has a much larger army than me. The result of numerous wars but I am expanding.

At the start of 510 I began recruiting 5 additional units for a 3rd Army I’d station in Western Crimea for barbarian/rebel patrol and a future war I was planning. And just in time a refugee from Rhodes arrived - they weren’t annexed, just a banished character - and I placed him to be in charge of the unit. You’ll soon find I’m not role-playing this game at all.

hth8k8.jpg

21 March 511 I was able to finally take down the 5 pirate ships, capturing one in the process. Later I’d lose one of those ships to attrition because I’ve played too much Victoria lately and forgot about attrition at sea. Also in that year Macedonia annexed Sparta.

Late April 512 I declared war on Dacia which also brought Dalmatae into the war. Initially I thought I could handle them on my own but by early July decided to bring Pontus along for the ride.

207utts.jpg

September I was able to destroy the small Daci army, capturing their capital seven days later with the help of a massive Pontus army. The same thing happened on 2 December in Maosi.

15 January 513

aba85.jpg

The small unit in Western Dalmatae are mercs I bought specifically to use to incite barbarians which they did if you look at Dalmatae’s shore. Once they did their job I decided to use them as a diversion, occupying their westernmost province if given the chance.

Late January Pontus liberated my occupied land and five days after that I occupied Apulia, annexing Dacia soon after. Two days after that I executed their leader because... my finger slipped? Oops. How did this 11 gold get into my coffers?

4 March I was able to make peace with Dalmatae taking Maosi (grain) and 70 gold which is a very nice payoff considering the war lasted longer than their ability to spend their cash.

o0tcep.jpg

26 September the Seleucids offered an alliance. This is something I’m definitely going to hold onto as much as possible. Will I ever go against the Seleucids now? I’m not sure. With my technological levels dragging and manpower a problem considering all the desolate land I’ve conquered, it’ll be tough. When the time comes, I may just have to stay with Sel to war against Rome but we’ll see how that goes.

f7zwj.jpg

In October of 514 the Seleucids DoW’d Pontus but I wasn’t asked to join either side. I assume its because I’m allied with both. And for that moment I was relieved because I was in no shape to fight, not even a Pontus who would’ve been at war on three fronts. Seleucid Empire* & Ptolemaic Kingdom v. Pontus* & Macedonia.

By October of 517 Pontus had been split in two. This would’ve been great if the bulk of their troops weren’t in their capital where they could easily squash my smaller units. But this didn’t deter me as I declared war on Gatae in November. Bosporus Kingdom* & Pontus v. Gatae.

98r0hx.jpg

In 518 while I was still at war, Gatae and Pontus made peace with Gatae paying 31. But Pontus wasn’t vital to this war anyway. I only brought them in to sack the capital early on. In July 519 I was able to destroy the Gatae army, bringing them to peace 10 August. They were to cede Tyras, Iazyges and Buridavensi (2 grain, 1 wood.)

2eeyoox.jpg

Well, I seem to have blocked the northern passage. And that’ll end another 10 year update.

I’ve been playing a lot of Rome lately so there might be another update tomorrow depending if I can find the time.

Quite a long border to defend now, though if the alliance with the Seleucids holds then it's only in the west that you really need a significant military presence.