A Letter concerning upgrade paths in Tyranny on GOG.com

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

JoJo7887

Recruit
Oct 14, 2016
To whom it may concern,

I'm writing you this letter due to some concerning issues regarding 2 of your GOG releases, namely Pillars of Eternity and the soon to be released Tyranny.

First and foremost a recurring problem is the lack of upgrade paths in the GOG version of these games. A year and a half ago when Pillars of Eternity was released on GOG it came in the 3 versions: Hero Edition, Champion Edition and Royal Edition. Some time later GOG stated that upgrade paths (Original Statement found here: https://www.gog.com/news/release_pillars_of_eternity) would be available to buyers of the Hero and Champion editions. A year and a half have passed since the game's release and I'm sorry to say that these upgrade paths never came.

Due to the nature of this problem, if someone (for example) buys the Champion Edition of Pillars of Eternity on GOG which is currently priced at 54.99 Euro and then later chooses to unlock the extras (DLC) from the Royal Edition, he's unable to simply pay for the extra content and be on his way, Instead he would have to pay the full price of 82.99 Euro.

In contrast to the above example, I would like to add that the same game on Steam features upgrade paths and you only have to pay for the missing DLC which is a lot more fair than GOG's. To sum this part up – on GOG you're literally paying almost double than what you would on Steam.

Onto the second concerning part of this letter: Tyranny is set to be released in less than a month from now, it's made by the same developers of Pillars of Eternity and also published by Paradox Interactive. So my question to everyone involved is this – Are there going to be upgrade paths on GOG this time or not? Please do note that I still wish to see upgrade paths for Pillars of Eternity on GOG.

Thank you for reading.

Reactions:
Would like to upgrade paths on gog as well.

Have you asked GoG? From what you say it seems like this is a choice they have made. not Paradox ....

This is actually something GoG would need to answer as we don't have anything to do with their sales strategy / policy. As GoG wanted to do this upgrade path thing they probably had a plan and I'm guessing something happened that put them offtrack though I can't say for sure.

Reactions: