• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lesson 31: Leading to the End of the Sultanate

So... as hinted things go badly from here on out. I'll discuss the 'reasons' in an afterwards :)

Vassals/Client States: Lithuania, Serbian Horde, SE Asian Horde, Ryzan, Ottomans, Hejaz, Mewet, Yie, Oriat. Did I mention setting up the client states before? If not, well, I did. The Serbian Horde was basically Serbia. The SE Asian Horde was just one province that I didn't want to core and was placed to take lands from both Orissa and Ayuth. in the future.
Allies: France (Austria just ended the alliance in the middle of the switch over)
Rivals: Portugal and Castile and Orissa. They weren't fond of me either. For the first time since 1470ish I broke 50 pp though by sending pirates after them. Briefly.

I'd been hit by the Revolutionary fevor from the Commonwealth and my lands were exploding with rebels... or at least it seemed like an explosion at the time. I detailed an army or two to putting them down and decided I had to declare on the Commonwealth to stop them. Not that I minded fighting the Commonwealth again. It wasn't 'in the plan' as it were, but heck, it was the Commonwealth and Austria and others were already laying into them. Unfortunately/fortunately, Castile was Defender of the Faith and would defend the crazy Revolutionary Commonwealth. It would give me a chance to pick off the last province I needed for uniting Islam... So, perfect, right?

What I didn't realize is that started/continued a chain of being unable to finish coring provinces - Castile had owned several Chinese provinces now in my possession, so my coring stopped. Gah - I still get shivers thinking about it.

Was taking out the Revolutionary Commonwealth necessary? I have no idea, but I went with the story that EU was telling me - having a neighbor with this form of government was bad and I could/should remove it.

Oh, currently at war with Naples and with a reborn Nogia.

Welcome back class. We will begin where we left off, the nascent birth of the nation you know and love today.

miNC5BV.jpg

The Sultan was rightly scared of continued rebellion feeding off the Commonwealth and declared war immediately upon them. They were joined by Castile who felt it was more important to protect Catholics then it was to preserve their own form of government. The army was increased to almost 600,000 men, well beyond the supply capabilities of the Horde. A good fourth of those men began hunting down and destroying rebellious armies that had arisen. The others moved on Castile's Chinese holdings near Wu, and began occupying the Commonwealth. The rest attempted to assemble in France for an assault on Castile itself.

29k3dOV.jpg

A quick overview of some important details regarding the government, the stability starting this era, tax flow, etc. Everything appeared strong, the Sultan wasn't worried at all about the small rebellions or any dismay his response was going to cause among the peasants and townfolk of the greater Golden Horde.

ZKiEU1O.jpg

The initial response was strong among the people - after all, fighting the Commonwealth was a national past-time.

38rl4b5.jpg

And the initial strike on the Commonwealth headed straight for the capital city and captured all of the leaders of the Revolution. They were executed. However, the war couldn't end - Castile was untouched and interested in fighting on.

Eo9j7UE.jpg

Stability within the state fell during this period of the war, but not severely - it all still seemed manageable. Of course, looking back it is easy to see the flaws. The Golden Horde held many territories gained in war that simply weren't being integrated. The process had stalled, the war was making things difficult and another coalition was building against the Sultan. Popular rumors began to question if the Sultan was really of the royal blood - although all indications we have indicate that they were just rumors. Rome however, was integrated into the realm and was strangely one of the few places that would never really rebel against its inclusion into the Golden Horde.

HQDxEzU.jpg

Both Nogia and Naples were defeated and several new provinces were added to a country already under strain.

uRVksXB.jpg

The Sultan thought his admirals had finally trapped the Castilian trade fleet - but the Horde's Galleys and warships were no match for the Castilian merchant marine. Another immediate build up of the fleet was ordered and vast funds were dropped on the coastal provinces. This ended the hope to force a military engagement on Castile's southern coast. The hope was now left to the assembling overland attack and troops funneled through and corridor of Austria, Milan and France.

rJgTtxa.jpg

The Sultan, his army at ends in China with little to do, declared a war upon Yue and Russia that broke the truce. This was the first time that a Sultan had ever broken his word. The nation's stability dropped like a rock, unrest rose in almost every province, the administrative integration of former Russian and Wu province slowed to a crawl as the local people's simply refused to aid any further in the Golden Horde's plans.

Most historians believe that if the Sultan had avoided this war, everything might have been repaired and held together for another century or so. Instead...well..

yyvOqOX.jpg

A lack of administrative strength was seen as a major problem for the Horde and the Sultan ordered programs to enhance the governments ability. They were not in time.

FGRcJbX.jpg

Croatia had fought on the side of the Commonwealth. A minor peace to the advantage of the Serbian Horde removed them from the war.

wutsa9P.jpg

A war was launched against France and the Golden Horde refused to honor its agreement to defend the territory of France. It seems sane - not wanting to fight Great Britain, Portugal, and Austria. But it was another example of the inability of Sultan Qasim to honor his agreements.

The Sultan responded to criticism by declaring war on Finland and using a special unit made up of people who'd questioned his decision to lead the assault. In the middle of winter. Using silverware.

There was a dark side to this - the troops who'd journeyed through France and were engaged in a defensive-assault on northern Castile were now cut off. Castilian forces used this to jump one of the divisions and cut it up before reinforcements could arrive. They then outnumbered the other and forced another victory. 200,000 men were sent to Castile, perhaps 13,000 returned.

Oirat proved even less resistant then the Golden Horde to the pressures building up - it erupted in rebellion, about 1,000,000 men in the first launch. More forces were detailed to try to bring the vassals land under control.

xFOltGC.jpg

The world of the Horde and its enemies at this time.

ceJXZDp.jpg

kBTVj62.jpg

Two more wars followed immediately with two goals, prepping for an invasion of Japan and once again jumping a coalition that had formed before it could get large.

Last edited:
Lesson 31: Downward Spiral Pose

So, the end begins :) It isn't obvious, but the most recent war against Russia stops my coring of Nogai and Bashkara provinces - because they used to be Russian. I'm still sitting on some Chinese provinces that can't core.. Theme? Yes. I think I noted last post that the new war against Yue and Russia was a coalition. I'm actually thinking it wasn't and was just a strike with a good way to pull in most of my targets, because I peace out with them separately.

The final wars of the Sultanate have started and I've given up being able to crack Castile during this war. He will declare but two more. I have been rebuilding my fleet and feel like I should be able to fight Venice effectively soon and challenge for a naval landing against Castile later. Later... Well, anyway, my Pacific fleet is more powerful then anything in the area and I begin to land troops in Ryuku. 3 Mountains my...

The Castile Pacific fleet has been blockading me in India, so I know I'm safe...

At this point, i actually think I have this game/achievement in the bag.

4cG8nKX.jpg

The Commonwealth War saw Austria free Kiev as a vassal, so the Horde took them for a separate peace to the benefit of the vassals.

dZeOVTw.jpg

The Castilian fleet, which was last seen in India managed to make it to the Pacific and stop the landing of Golden Horde forces in Ryuku and scuttled the Golden Horde Navy's Pacific fleet. Suddenly, the war on Ryuku was a problem.

m4qEboF.jpg

In a moment of good news for the Sultan, the new Mediterranean fleet proved able and sank about 50 Castilian ships near Sicily.

M8Y3Tkc.jpg

Peace with Russia added more burdens to the overtaxed administration. Although it is hard even now to argue against the wisdom of cutting Russia down again - and thus gaining a bit of control over finally putting administration into place on all those Russian provinces.

Yf35CBz.jpg

Rdsjerc.jpg

c4bSXeu.jpg

A quick series of peace treaties draw an end to the most of the Chinese wars.

This let the Sultan free up troops for another round of wars.

8AuCHUq.jpg

Another coalition had formed against the Golden Horde and the army forces in both Italy and the Far East were well placed to handle it.

aBKgcSf.jpg

The small tribal community of Chukchi goes down in history as the last war the Sultanate would ever declare. His next to final mistake. This also forced another Russian conflict - they were guaranteeing Chukchi's independence.

Within the next 6 months a Venetian fleet with less warships and galleys would sink the Golden Horde's rebuilt, 200 ship armada in the Med.

yQMpjYS.jpg

Furious, the Sultan ordered an immediate end to the war against the Revolutionary Commonwealth. They forced the old monarchy back into place, took some Polish land... and took all of Castile's Chinese holdings.

Ui6mNds.jpg

10 days later the Golden Horde revolted in mass.

We'll discuss the great rebellion in more detail next.

Lesson 32: Birth of the Golden Republic

So, we left off with a very foolish peace brought us to 168% overextension. And then everything went to hell. I thought I could ride out a brief period of oe. The rebels gained power so fast that I couldn't even respond. I moved to make peace as quickly as I could, only to find that Ryuku now felt they could defeat the Golden Horde - they literally refused any peace deal, be it territory to them or releasing Lithuania (or whatever). Since I couldn't have peace, I stayed in the other wars, hoping to give away the provinces that were killing me... only I couldn't because they were occupied by rebels.

All in all, it was bad and I knew it as soon as the first wave of revolts hit. My screen was literally covered with rebellion notices. That feeling that you've really screwed up hits you in the stomach...

And there wasn't anything I could do - couldn't get to peace, couldn't core because the rebels were there. Note I said 1st round. There were more. To top it off, a good third of my army was stuck in Europe (Italy). Venice had sunk my fleet, again, so I couldn't transport out and Austria and Venice weren't going to give me passage back to the mainland.

2bVLnjo.jpg

The Asian side of the 1st Great Revolt. This and the European wave noted above were just the 1st wave. There were additional revolts every month, until the various nationalistic, religious, and whatever else rebels numbered something like 6 million. That is outside of the rebellions in Oirat, which numbered another 2 or 3 million, records aren't as clear there.

8IuOinc.jpg

Just another pic of the western portions of the Golden Horde. Additional revolts were occurring throughout the African provinces, Australia, and the Spice Island territories. Only Rome didn't revolt, but since a 200,000 man army was standing around there, they probably felt it might be wiser to not complain.

3piPqbA.jpg

The Sultan finally reacted, making peace deals where he could.

bs4PBm3.jpg

Russia was reduced to a Siberian power. A bit too late to matter.

a1nCMbH.jpg

Despite the internal difficulties facing the Horde the rest of the world continued to form coalitions against them. The newest one included Austria and Orissa - a pair that the Horde definitely could not afford to fight at the time.

sJdKt0I.jpg

Manpower for the army dried up. There were two primary causes to this: 1) for the first time in a long time the Golden Army was taking significant losses, and 2) those losses came against those who could/should have been replenishing the ranks.

aRKkt6R.jpg

Qasim I passed away. It was not a natural death. As best can be told one of the revolutionary groups managed to smuggle a party inside with the help of a long time adviser close to the Sultan. The result was.. messy.

The new Sultan, Husayn I, only served for a short time. His body was never found.

kXcZIq4.jpg

The government collapsed and a small group of relatively unimportant rebels found themselves in control of the capital and surprisingly, the loyalty of the army. They promised, of all things, an election for a new leader in 4 years and began to rebuild the administration of the country. Let us not underestimate the courage of these first Republicans. There had never been a tradition of election-mandate among the people's of the Golden Horde.

As part of their new power, they began granting freedom to anyone who asked and seemed to have actual popular support. This avenue for independence was used, but not often - most settled for de facto independence, the Golden Army was a hollow shell by this point.

3peBP7Q.jpg

They also ended the war against Ryuku, promising the republics protection to the small country in the future.

Nc4k5OF.jpg

The rebellions were worse in China and they were beginning to break away - with or without the support of the actual Golden Republic's government.

rv4YC2h.jpg

Min nationalists were the first.. but not the last. We won't cover every breakaway now because, well, I'm sure you'd all like to attend other classes today. But the Mughals and a 2nd Wu state were next.

Lpz0xW3.jpg

Meanwhile, Oirat exploded into a thousand parts - maybe six provinces remained out of what was once the largest vassal in the Golden Horde.

HOBY4jo.jpg

Crimea, Persia, Khiva, Uzbek, Russian nationalists, Xi'ians, Langese - they all broke free.

However, Crimea and Khiva held popular elections and chose to rejoin the Golden Republic. Support from popular counter-revolutionaries spurred the Golden Republic to get involved and protect the people there. However, the Republic stayed otherwise true to its word to allow local autonomy to those choosing to break from the Golden Horde.

Of course, history doesn't end there, but that does end this class - the Golden Horde, a thriving power from the 1440's until the early 1800's, had collapsed and been replace with the Golden Republic, about half the size. The next class in this series is a History of the Republic, I hope to see you there.

Lesson 33: An Overview

So - painful. The final screens:

TCWmFh2.jpg

I think the stats they give here are wrong, unless they categorize it for over time or something. Breakdown screens reveal a different end of game picture.

va6ZXFS.jpg

My actual end of game control. Yes, that's a lot missing.

tUUMRP6.jpg

Religion

RmGJQGY.jpg

Political

eSGR3vS.jpg

Closer view

rIBRtKd.jpg

Asia became...messy

9iafVMc.jpg

My Italian holdings. Not mentioned specifically in the previous posts, but Siena did become my vassal.

dIj5ePU.jpg

Sweden had become rather powerful.

x4RT0WN.jpg

North America

X1MdmUa.jpg

South America - source of Portugal's power.

43DpVrb.jpg

A relatively undisturbed Africa. Well, west Africa anyway.

MyvgG6w.jpg

It's possible I lost some provinces...

2zbCGuP.jpg

If anyone cares.

7MCZId0.jpg

End of game vassals. No alliances. Was annexing Ryzan and Hejaz.

VgQmlfo.jpg

PtzIAkP.jpg

The Rulers of the Horde.

TUqZYvl.jpg

Final army count

kx52Vjg.jpg

Navy, such as it mattered. My navy always failed me this game.

PkHTSKM.jpg

Charts for those interested in such things.

1OPbMcI.jpg

The Horde had control on a lot of common goods and not much else at the end. We had been in control of several other items...

3flyU4Y.jpg

One more different look, because, why not.

ak2hDtC.jpg

Scores based on the "Swedish system" The Horde managed to pick up fourth. Would have been third if I hadn't blown it at the end I imagine.

So, that's it. A run that almost got there but failed. Failure makes for more fun right? ?

So, my thoughts in general - I actually enjoyed myself immensely. Even in the end when it had all collapsed, once I got past the 'what the hell did I just do?' moment. Okay, it was a long moment. Longer once I realized my stupid war against Ryuku wouldn't end so I couldn't save myself.

The reinforce without cost is an AWESOME ability. Given that I never had that much money (until the mid-late game), it was a life-saver.

The double looting is pretty slick, and especially important early game. Note - the new changes aren't good for the Horde, I've done a test start already and it's crap poor.

Not crushing out Muscovy/Russia and Lithuania/Commonwealth early was a big mistake. However, having them around later made for a great game with some tense moments. Not sure I had the opportunity to crush Lithuania with the Ottoman's collapse, but I should have just handled Muscovy.

The Ottomans turning on me I thought was a disaster at the time, but it turned out to be a big plus once I picked up all of those juicy Anatolian provinces.

I made some bad decisions - joining the League War for example. But mostly: thinking over-extension wasn't going to hurt me that much (I really had no idea). Even with Humanism and -3 unrest admin adviser I was going from no warning to revolt in multiple provinces every month. Crazy.

I did pick up several achievements, whever the names are officially, basically: Explore the World (...without Exploration...sure), Reformed to Western as a Horde, Long Haul (the whole game, my first time to the finish line), Army Tradition. I think that was it.

So, I don't know? Questions?

What's next - we'll try again, (using the same thread I guess?). In 10.x because why not. I did a test run last night - I can't start the same way or my vassals immediately stop fighting for me. So... um, I don't know. I didn't have enough diplomatic or admin points last time, so I'm not really sure how I'll control that much land, but I guess I'll start by building my nation a bit more earlier.

And attack Russia early.

If I can, we'll still use the Ottomans to hit the Commonwealth. But we'll try to ally Austria early on and use them in both the Commonwealth fights and then take it to the Ottomans... maybe? Shrug. :) I'm not sure this can be planned for too much.

I do know that I'm going to have serious issues with cash - without being able to loot until a province falls, well, it isn't pulling even a portion of the cash. It's basically not worth noticing - or at least in my test run it wasn't.

I was still holding out for a victory in the end. At least you went down in a blaze of glory. :)

I suppose all those recent changes in the latest patch will make the game a nightmare now. No more huge vassals without risking revolt and so on.

Wow, that's the first time I've ever seen an AAR end like that; specifically with destruction not being on purpose. Are you going to convert? I think this world would be awesome to play in Vicky 2! I think at the end, you caught the "sick man" disease from an alt-history Ottomans.

I was still holding out for a victory in the end. At least you went down in a blaze of glory. :)

I suppose all those recent changes in the latest patch will make the game a nightmare now. No more huge vassals without risking revolt and so on.

Blaze of something anyway!

The new way of handling vassals definitely means I can't start with four vassals and not take land for so long - even if I can hold on to them they won't fight for me, which makes them practically pointless. I'll have to annex the vassals quickly, rather then trying to grow them. At least until the Horde is a fairly large entity in and of itself.

Wow, that's the first time I've ever seen an AAR end like that; specifically with destruction not being on purpose. Are you going to convert? I think this world would be awesome to play in Vicky 2! I think at the end, you caught the "sick man" disease from an alt-history Ottomans.

Ah, ya, quite the destruction. So, I've learned, OE is not bad, it is really really bad!

I've never played Vicky II, although you're right, I think this would be perfect. Maybe I should pick up that package deal I just saw at GreenMan and see what would happen...

Ah, ya, quite the destruction. So, I've learned, OE is not bad, it is really really bad!

I've never played Vicky II, although you're right, I think this would be perfect. Maybe I should pick up that package deal I just saw at GreenMan and see what would happen...
The whole bundle of Vicky I and II as well as all expansions and DLC are being sold at bundlestars for 4.99 in one package. http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/victoria-complete-bundle/

Converting to V2 would be interesting, but you certainly won't be able to expand as easily as in EUIV. My experiences with V2 have always involved never being able to stay in the infamy limit because I want to conquer everything. It would make for an interesting story having the Golden Horde trying to bring its old territory back into the fold through influencing old vassals and slower conquest.

I may delay another try - there was a post in the other forum indicating they may play with Looting again - and I'd like to be a bit more solvent. We'll see, I have a couple of ideas to play with over the weekend, maybe I can do something really different with the opening.

Love this series! Can't wait to see what you've got going on next. I really like the sort of teaching spin on the AAR, and I have no doubt that with a second try, you could succeed. Personally, while I think the looting change in 1.11 makes sense, I don't necessarily like it for the game's purposes. The fact that there's basically a hard limit on the amount of money you can get from a country can really limit a player's options. I do think that Paradox can be a bit overzealous in their nerfs.

Love this series! Can't wait to see what you've got going on next. I really like the sort of teaching spin on the AAR, and I have no doubt that with a second try, you could succeed. Personally, while I think the looting change in 1.11 makes sense, I don't necessarily like it for the game's purposes. The fact that there's basically a hard limit on the amount of money you can get from a country can really limit a player's options. I do think that Paradox can be a bit overzealous in their nerfs.

I don't have a problem with changing the way looting works, they can leave it that way if they like (er, obviously), but I definitely see less coming in and sense one of the big pluses of being a horde is looting I'm really tempted to wait and see what they change. On the other hand, I'd like to just push forward, so who knows.

And thank you for the kind words. :) Not sure the teaching angle is good when doing it again but I may keep that pov.

Reactions:
So - we're back for another try. I actually started a couple of games to get a handle on the new looting and vassal issues (the vassal issue is pretty big) but in the end, well, this start was too good to pass up. I thought I'd try something different with it originally -- I wanted to annex Circassia, Georgia, and Ryzan, get rid of some core provinces, vassalize Genoa, and convert to Orthodox, maybe play around in the HRE or something different. That... didn't even come close to happening. But I think it would be really interesting to do.

As it happens, this start is pretty similar to the first one ... and then changes up given that the Ottomans don't go down in flames and I learned from my failure last time and worked to keep an eye on Muscovy and the Polish/Lith situation.

Do I succeed? I don't know yet. :) The forum shutting down and work has let me play way in advance of this post - I'm about halfway through the time line - 1628 as of last night.

Onwards brave Horde!

Lesson 0 - Opening Statements:

Hello class - I'll be your teacher for History 2002, Middle Golden Horde History. We'll cover the Horde from 1444 to 1821. If you think those dates are arbitrary, well, they are, but they are carefully thought out by someone who is paid to think about these things.

We'll make heavy use of the Swedish system of analysis for our comparatives. Please be sure to pick up the workbook at the bookstore that specifically outlines the necessary steps and procedures.

v5OtDSP.jpg

In 1444 Khan Kuchuk was still in control of the Horde and was full of desire to follow his honored father's footsteps and be known as a great conqueror. He instilled himself as the top general in charge of military affairs... You know the old adage about not being your own lawyer - you probably shouldn't be your own general. Not that he was bad at it, but it certainly distracts from leading a nation successfully.

My02Abu.jpg

He wasted little time - sending an insult to the Golden Horde's rival Khanite of Kazan.

uJH7qLM.jpg

And forming an alliance with the Uzbek Horde, located on the other side of Kazan and Nogai. The old enemy of my enemy diplomatic lure.

With these actions in place, Khan Kuchuk ordered all troops to close on the Crimean border and ordered mercenaries to meet them there using a small sum of coins that had been gathered for just such an occasion.

yssLokL.jpg

And then a revolt against his rule promptly broken out. Many have questioned why Khan Kuchuk didn't respond to this attempt to break his power. Most explanations suggest that there was a very elaborate attempt to keep such knowledge from him. Troop orders conspicuously moved around the rebel army when they could have sliced straight through the rebel forces while they were still disorganized and green.

MU6k4ue.jpg

There was no doubt that Jamaduq Bayer was a qualified leader. Reports indicate that many of the Golden Horde's clan leaders felt that Kuchuk was slightly insane and more then slightly incompetent. They were happy to follow him into war, but lead a nation? Not so much.

... And now you know why I kept this start. I only killed Kuchuk once in 4 starts early. This was much better.

I'll try to get a real entry in tomorrow.

Last edited:
Well it's too bad you had to start again, but surely this history class will be much more fascinating.

What are your starting king's stats? I imagine they're bad if you want to replace him with the 4/4/3 pretender.

If I remember correctly, the GH's starting king is a 0/0/2. Perfect stats for a "sacrifice for the benefit of the Horde."

That's correct - 0/0/2. The heir is... some combination that doesn't add up to more then 4 just to make is worse. Really, any pretender is a good thing. The increased points at start really sped up my game. .. Or I just knew what I was doing better this time.

Lesson 1: The Heydey of Khan Kuchuk: The Crimean Wars

We left off noting the rise of a rebellion that was - somehow - kept from the Khan. All unknowing the Khan continued with his plan - the invasion of Crimea to start re-uniting the fractured Khanites of the steppe.

44h266Q.jpg

This slide shows the known force distributions upon the declaration of war with Crimea. Some 6000 men made up the Crimean army and were known to be in the capital itself.

qFk8VIt.jpg

It took two battles to subdue the Crimean army - the first being far more famous for obvious reasons. Honestly, no real development of tactics here - this was a straight out class using historical steppe warrior tactics that was won by the numbers. Mercenaries were used to lock down the provinces and prevent a new Crimean army from being recruited while the main army began taking fortified positions.

MrAAdIk.jpg

Meanwhile, back in the home land, the first province fell to the rebellion. We have indications that Kuchuk did learn of the rebellion at that point and dispatched a sizable portion of his army to deal with it. Fortunately or unfortunately, those orders were apparently replaced and that army ended up setting up siege to Mansur instead.

al2IB6d.jpg

It's important to study not just the Horde but what was going on around it at the time. With the Horde surrounded by enemies their actions played a decisive role in the steps that the Horde would take next as it developed from a group of united clans into a real nation. Circassia's decision to take advantage of Crimea's weakness no doubt looked good on paper, but they committed a rash mistake as they moved their army out of their mountainous home and into the flatlands of south Crimea.

27xvBVY.jpg

Making the decisions of Khan Kuchuk even easier, the Horde's eastern neighboring Khanites of Nogai and Kazan went to war. Kazan was supported by the, at the time, imposing forces of the Timurids. Let's say it was unlikely things would go well for the Nogain Khan.

CTf5fiZ.jpg

Crimea bowed it's head in homage as one province after another fell. With favor in his heart the Khan elected to leave the entire leadership of the Crimean Khanite intact in exchange for their vow of service. In exchange, he agreed to take on the invading armies of Circassia.

F9hmcQB.jpg

One quick battle fought on Crimean territory was all that was needed.

PGQ9EBU.jpg

(Out of character: I inserted this picture simply because I didn't know that you could set up a trading post in Cafa... ?)

Svzo6L3.jpg

With his heart full of boasting, the Khan commissioned a storyteller. Unbeknownst to him, the 'Old Ruler' who would return was being named in the story when the people of the Golden Horde told it - Jumaduq.

fZPj9j2.jpg

Jumaduq's rebellion had, at this point, captured the capital. One by one he was calling the head's of the clans to him to swear fealty.

ViE9Kl2.jpg

Circassia lost the war quickly and the Khan demanded the complete annexation of the Orthodox nation.

PaTg3Qp.jpg

The increased power and prestige of the Golden Horde after these two successes led the Ottoman caliph to reach out to the Khan for an alliance.

aztyWEB.jpg

A claim was forged on the Georgia and the state of Circassia was reconstituted as a Sunni vassal state of the Golden Horde.

g2CtI1a.jpg

Khan Kuchuk moved north quickly and assaulted the tiny state of Ryzan. Somehow, once again, troops detailed to defeat the rebel army just... sidestepped the possible engagement.

cL4joRF.jpg

And joined with them. Knives rose and fell among those closest to Kuchuk and he was slain. His son disappeared - rumor has it he might have lead a charge on a Ryzan fortification without the benefit of armor or weapons.

A new Khan was appointed to lead the Golden Horde - Jumaduq. He'd done a good job bringing most of the clans into his fold before the overthrow, but one of the clans decided to put forth their own leader in challenge to the claim.

OXmpe5v.jpg

But that would-be-Khan died when accidentally engaging a newly raised mercenary company. Crimean forces helped eliminated the rebel clan's army shortly thereafter.

vTqkKCy.jpg

That army continued south and a quick invasion was planned and implemented against the state of Gazikumukh. Rumor has it that it was done simply to pass time while waiting to see what our various neighbors would continue to do to each other.

83a9dvi.jpg

The Kazan-Nogai war ended with Nogai on the losing end.

NN5hNQn.jpg

A traveler from Europe, cast out because he'd found the Sunni faith, ended up at our court. This had two effects - one, we learned that Europe had advanced in warfare in ways we hadn't yet begun to think of. Two, in began to increase our own knowledge of how to wage war.

k2hwvWI.jpg

Ryzan joined the states of Circassia and Crimea in bending knee to the Golden Horde Khan.

Xg2XUmP.jpg

This was followed by a peace treaty that did not advance the Horde's territory, but instead began the process of transforming some lands that the Horde was interested in into a more palatable faith.

TDaQbRg.jpg

With the Nogai weakened and left with just a handful of soldiers under arms, Khan Jumaduq felt he had to prove he was just as warlike as the previous administrations - the Horde attacked.

BI5LnKa.jpg

The many clans that had backed Khan Jumaduq attempted to strong arm him into accepting that the clans should be less tied to the Khan. His reply as reported to us through history; "Try me."

LWMs7FY.jpg

The Nogia War was ended with a minor territory gain and the addition of another vassal state to serve under the Golden Horde's banner.

5P7XCWL.jpg

For reference, if we use the Swedish "power projection" formula, we will find that this marked a high point in Horde expansion as it had crushed several rivals in a row.

The first war against the Georgians with the Ottomans as an ally will follow next week. Please be prepared to discuss how Golden Horde military goals evolved due to the influence of Ottoman forces and the way in which the vassal horde of the Golden Horde both helped implement and impede those goals.

Discussion - last time I didn't really talk too much about why I was doing things. So, we will try to give more insight this time. The immediate war against Crimea - a state that can be quickly vassalized, just makes too much sense for it not to be the first goal. This keeps also them from becoming Ottoman allies - in which case you'll never touch them (well, at the beginning). The Circassian attack on a weakened Crimea happened in three of my four test runs. About half the time you also get Genoa piling on - which is even better in my opinion. But not in this run.

The rest of the attacks were strictly opportunity runs - Ryzan because it sets up a northern Orthodox ally to absorb hopeful Russian and Lithuanian territory, Nogai because it was weak. Gazakawhatever because I was trying to set up another quick vassal and eat in the future that had already converted provinces for me.

Power projection - it's so easy to get early, so difficult later. The bonus for vassaling your rivals is a nice chunk. The thing about Power Projection that bothers me - besides being flipping impossible to build later, is that it all wears away at the same time. Sure, I had 60 some, but I was losing 5 points per month and every time I knocked off a rival I had to find peace again before I could start rebuilding the long-term rival number. I have to admit I really hope this gets redone.

The new looting.... It is hard initially to not constantly have new loot coming in and I often found I'd wait another month for peace just so I could knock over one more province. But that income isn't horrible. ? I don't know. I think I'm neutral - the next iteration should be much nicer, although the ability to get to all of the juicy ducets may be limited by good fort placement. But the Russian border is long and it just takes one break in the frontier... Er, or wherever.

The new vassals - ya, I'm already having difficulty managing them. But the big problem is Ryzan - very unhappy to have an Orthodox under a Sunni leader taken in war. Looking back I wonder if I should have done the same with Ryzan as with Circassia.

Let me know if I can illuminate my thinking elsewhere.

Thanks for reading.

Lesson 2: Birth of a Regional Power, Part I

Hello class, last week we spoke about the final years of Khan Kuchuk and the emergence of Khan Jumaduq as the new leader of the Golden Horde. He'd proven his keen eye for weakness and valor in the Nogai war. Now, he would move on to another small regional target.

OPCt7RP.jpg

The Georgian alliance of Theodora and Trebizond didn't stand a chance against the Golden Horde and when the Ottomans agreed to join, well. We don't need to dwell on this overly much.

ngVwAXc.jpg

The Georgian army was lured out of their home mountains.

Meanwhile, the Genoan province of Azov joined the Crimea after years of turmoil and rebellion. Genoa would have sent a message indicating their desire for us to return the province, but apparently could not find our capital on their maps.

2iFq8FB.jpg

As that conflict settled into a series of siegeworks, word came that Kazan, flush with its victory over the Nogai, had turned its attention to our ally Uzbek and was primed to invade them, again, with their ally the Timarids. The Horde, true to the treaties of a former Khan, rallied to the north. The plan was to allow the Timarids to chew on the Uzbekian south while Golden Horde forces assaulted the main territories of Kazan.

x8U7ZGq.jpg

Theodora was absorbed in a separate peace treaty. Apparently, giving the land to Crimea was considered but the Golden Horde was having difficulty keeping the vassals in line and it was thought that adding more land directly to the Horde would help with that effort.

n6cbPfJ.jpg

Our willingness to fight with the Ottomans resulted in them sending us a small package of coins every month. This allowed the Golden Horde's economy to finally show a profit after long years of deficit spending, broken only by brief periods of surplus when war gains brought coins in by the truckload - which also contributed to inflationary problems.

QXLI2M7.jpg

Trebizond was given to the Ottomans in recognition of their aid and as a way of extending our hand in friendship.

tdX9IZM.jpg

With Kazan now fighting on two fronts, Muscovy decided to test themselves against the Khans as well. The race was on to take territory before the Christians.

TziDdFQ.jpg

I'd mentioned inflation as a possible problem earlier, but wise economic policies by the administrators was actually keeping real inflation down to levels seldom seen in functioning nations with large gold influxes. This wouldn't always be the case, but these responsible activities benefited the Horde for many years in stretching a small budget of taxes much further then might have been the case.

BjiF2IR.jpg

When Georgia was brought to the table, it was carved up between the new state of Imereti, some territory for the Horde itself, and a couple of provinces for Circassia, stretching the Golden Horde's influence south.

p8sgc8M.jpg

The new Italian's ideas paid off as the Golden Horde began, for the first time, to implement large scale changes to the way it waged war. This bonus would pay off soon as an undermanned Golden Army would meet with Kazan and Timurid troops shortly.

3U58kNF.jpg

Constant war had however weakened the national spirit, even among a warrior people such as our ancestors. Some amount of governmental goodwill was spent to counteract that and keep the populace focused on the benefits of winning.

zRwHhM9.jpg

RuGP1jU.jpg

The Khan used small detachments of his forces to cover Kazan and head off Timurid reinforcements. Muscovite forces were shown how they could help the assaults on the fortresses there. . the results of which somehow always for the gain of the Golden Horde.

Lbwaa03.jpg

The battle of Yaik is well known as the Golden Horde, under the inspired leadership of a Crimean general, routed a Timurid army of equal ilk. With their ally driven away and provinces falling, Kazan was staring at defeat.

Ii2UAl4.jpg

A revolt against taxes was brewing in the province taken by the Horde from the Georgians. The response was to allow greater autonomy, which, the Khan supposedly said, was 'what he wanted to do anyway.'

EV5dZ4p.jpg

The pro-war policies of the Horde paid off and the citizenry rallied in response.

6bArL5l.jpg

The Kazan war ended when the Horde decided to peace out separately from Uzbek. Worried that he wouldn't get the gains his men had borne the bront of fighting and dying for, Khan Jumaduq agreed to leave Kazan to his original conflict, ah, and the Muscovites, in exchange for a pair of provinces.

PowUQlS.jpg

By now, Crimea had been a part of the Horde for long enough to be over any yearning for independence and the process of bringing all of Crimea directly under the rule of the Golden Horde was begun.

QIP2Oni.jpg

Technically, the Kazan invasion of Uzbek ended in a white peace, but somehow Kazakh managed to form as well, a minor Khanite power that would stay relevant for some time in Horde history.

wnefSHW.jpg

With Uzbek and the Golden Horde out of the way, Timurid forces made it all the way into Muscovy to defend its ally.

NvVGJqk.jpg

The first province to convert to the Sunni faith occurred shortly thereafter, continuing policies that Jumaduq had started upon ascending to Khan.

ciXjVor.jpg

Eventually, Kazan and Muscovy made peace with Kazan the loser. But really, their conflict had wounded both countries - and the Timurids, so much that they would be easy prey for more cautious neighbors.

SEwZRwJ.jpg

But that time was not yet, first the Ottomans had agreed to a joint invasion of Qura Qoyunlu and the time table could not be altered.

Had some extra time so dropped down a partial update.