• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, that's a pyrrhic victory for the Targaryen Loyalists.

What are the Targaryens doing about Tywin?

How should the Lannisters be punished if they are defeated? Could they lose the Westerlands? What's Tywin risking here?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, that's a pyrrhic victory for the Targaryen Loyalists.

What are the Targaryens doing about Tywin?

How should the Lannisters be punished if they are defeated? Could they lose the Westerlands? What's Tywin risking here?
From Tywin's POV, the realm has descended into a war in which both sides have taken massive losses, and the capital is destroyed. All sense of socialital norms are breaking down and power is there for the taking.

As for Targaryen's response? They are trying to secure the Crownlands as a base of operations for a larger, more grueling war. Its more out of desperation than any long term strategic planning.

Reactions:
This alternate rebellion certainly has taken into a wild ride with the Westernlands becoming a third party. I reckon this whole rebellion is gonna take a while to end too unlike canon given how things are taking a wild turn here.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 7 - Robert's Rebellion Part 7
Chapter 7 - Robert’s Rebellion Part 7
_23d3fdc5-adf5-4ffb-9b3e-36dbb864c690.jpg

After three days of relentless marching, the Targaryen host, brimming with confidence and high morale, arrived at Gladden's Hollow, a village located 7 miles north of King's Landing. Maester Gerold, chronicling his experiences 25 years later, painted a picture of a weary yet determined army, fuelled by recent victories and the promise of triumph over the rebel forces “all were tired, hungry, and battle worn but our spirits were as strong as ever. We had just defeated the rebels twice, our army was larger than the foe in front of us, and we had never had so much booty in our lives.” The leaders of the Targaryen army were buoyant, despite the physical toll of their relentless campaign. Lord Oberyn Martell revelled in the prospect of Dornish spears claiming countless Northmen, while Lord Mace Tyrell advocated for a head-on charge due to their numerical superiority. The Loyalists boasted 33,000 effective fighting troops against the rebels' 24,000. However, King Rhaegar, the voice of caution, acknowledged the rebels' advantage in holding higher ground.

_c935634f-76a4-45f4-90bc-8fecd93680d5.jpg

Lord Mace Tyrell of Highgarden, Lord Paramount of the Reach and Warden of the South

In the rebel camp, tension permeated the air as news arrived about Jon Arryn's defeat at Farring Cross. Lord Eldon Estermont, leading the Stormlords, considered retreating to Duskendale, citing the unfavourable odds against the approaching Targaryen forces. The Northern lords, however, advocated for standing their ground. In the midst of heated discussions, Lord Eddard Stark made a decisive declaration: they would make their stand at Gladden's Hollow. Lord Eddard Stark's decision to stand and face the oncoming Targaryen forces reverberated through the rebel camp. The Northern lords, recognizing their liege's resolve, rallied behind his decision. The Stormlords, though hesitant, yielded to the collective will of the rebel army. As the Targaryen host approached, Gladden's Hollow became the chosen battleground for a confrontation that would shape the course of Robert's Rebellion.

On the morning of the next day King Rhaegar was awoken by one his men. It was earlier than the King had been expecting to be waking, and he asked to know why on the night before a battle was he awoken early. The person who walked into his pavilion made it clear why he had been awoken. Ser Oswell Whent, bedecked in his Kingsguard Armour and a white cloak made dirty by dust entered on bended knee. When he arose the King welcomed him like a brother, embraced him, and then quickly asked why he was there. As the details of the revelation remained veiled, King Rhaegar, spurred by the weight of the newfound knowledge, swiftly departed his tent. Mounted on horseback, the king, accompanied by Ser Oswell Whent, rode towards the no man's land that separated the Loyalists from the Rebels. In a move that perplexed both Loyalists and Rebels alike, King Rhaegar commanded Ser Oswell Whent to fashion a rudimentary white flag using the king's cape attached to a spear. The symbol of peace, usually reserved for surrender or parley, stirred confusion among the Loyalist ranks as they witnessed their king ride out, seemingly unaccompanied, towards the centre of the no man's land.

_4c87b475-8615-4d1f-ad4c-058aa8aa9bed.jpg

Ser Oswell Whent, Knight of the Kingsguard

As the makeshift white flag waved in the wind, the rebel lords grappled with the unexpected turn of events. Debate arose among them about the appropriate response, with some advocating for immediate retaliation, while Lord Eddard Stark intervened, insisting on an honourable approach. A delegation of rebel lords, led by Lord Eddard Stark, set forth to meet with King Rhaegar Targaryen. The delegation included Lord Eldon Estermont, Lord Roose Bolton, Lord Selwyn of Tarth, and Maester Boremund. The air crackled with tension as they approached the Loyalist leader.

The parley commenced, and Lord Stark, with a steely gaze, pressed for answers. The rebels sought retribution for the deaths of Lord Rickard Stark and his eldest son, and above all, the whereabouts of Lyanna Stark. The atmosphere grew charged as Lord Stark's first question addressed the fate of his sister. King Rhaegar, sombre and serious, delivered a revelation that sent shockwaves through the rebel delegation. "Lyanna is dead," he declared. The Northern lords, brimming with a desire for revenge, instinctively reached for their weapons, halted only by Lord Stark's command. Questioning the veracity of Rhaegar's claim, Lord Stark suggested that it could be a ruse to unsettle him before the impending battle. To substantiate his words, Rhaegar presented a silver ring that had belonged to Lyanna since their grandmother's death. The rebels, shaken, grappled with the weight of the revelation. Lord Stark, his voice revealing a subtle tremor, inquired about the circumstances of Lyanna's death. A pregnant pause enveloped the parley before Rhaegar disclosed the tragic truth – Lyanna had died after giving birth to their son.

Silence hung heavy after the revelation of Lyanna's tragic fate. Lord Stark, his voice heavy with accusation, demanded answers “what now? Are we expected to make peace because you raped my sister and she had a son?”. The severe accusation angered the King “we loved each other! It was her idea just as much as it was mine.” This defence gained a curt response from Lord Selwyn of Tarth “she was just a girl! She knew nothing of the consequences of her actions. You, however, did.” Rhaegar's impassioned defence clashed with Lord Selwyn's stern rebuke. The tension escalated until the king, recognizing the weight of his actions, conceded the truth. "I loved her, and for that, I plunged the realm into war. And now she's gone..." The gravity of the moment settled upon the parley.

_680314ee-2839-4b77-8aee-8728b5abf953.jpg

In a moment of introspection, King Rhaegar reached for his crown, symbolizing the power and responsibility he bore. Examining it, he contemplated the toll of his decisions. "Over the last few weeks, I have come to the realization that a scion of House Targaryen may no longer be fit to wear this crown. The news I received today confirms that. It is time to end this war.” As the king prepared to hand over his crown, the sound of horns from both Loyalist and Rebel camps pierced the air. A messenger rode in with urgent news – an approaching army, 50,000 strong, revealed itself on the western horizon. The banners confirmed its identity: Tywin Lannister had arrived.

_e56b2471-6d48-47ab-9edd-aa7214103458.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you all for reading my AAR over the last few weeks. Having been away from the scene for a few years I was worried whether people would bother reading my work, so the responses have been really gratifying. Writing this AAR has reignited my creative spark that I had lost over the last few years, had has gotten me back into the ASOIAF books as well.

I hope everyone has a merry Christmas and a happy holiday!

AxolotlKnight

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
This alternate rebellion certainly has taken into a wild ride with the Westernlands becoming a third party. I reckon this whole rebellion is gonna take a while to end too unlike canon given how things are taking a wild turn here.

Honestly wait until you see what the Iron Isles did during this timeline. To say its weird is an understatement.

Reactions:
Chapter 8 -Robert’s Rebellion Part 8
Chapter 8: Robert’s Rebellion Part 8

The arrival of the Lannister Army threw the Loyalist and Rebel camps in disarray. Tywin Lannister’s motives had always been unclear, but now it seemed clear that intended to defeat both sides of the war. The Westermen had been slowly advancing towards the Crownlands for months, gathering more troops to their host as they marched along the Gold Road. Once inside enemy territory, Lord Tywin executed a ruthless strategy. Raiding parties, led by infamous figures such as Ser Gregor Clegane, the Mountain that Rides, and Ser Amory Lorch, were unleashed upon the land. Their mission: to plunder, burn, and sow terror in the wake of their advance. Those same warriors were now set on to the camps of the Loyalists and Rebels. They were quickly repelled, but they signalled that a wider battle was about to begin.

_c56c1a80-76e6-4ac2-b9b8-2d77afdd1927.jpg

As the Lannister Army began to form up into battle formation, the Loyalist and Rebel leadership began to discuss what to do. Though enemies, both sides could not hold out on their own against the Lannisters. After tense discussions, Lord Eddard proclaimed that for the duration of the battle the Rebels would side with the Targaryen Loyalists, in return he was named overall commander of the combined defenders. Now the 50,000 Westermen face a combined force of 52,000 defenders. Tywin’s gambit, and the hope that he could take the divided forces of the Loyalists and the Rebels, had failed. He would have to deal with them head on.

That battle started with a cavalry engagement between the Loyalists and the Lannisters on the battle’s left flank. The commander in charge of the Lannister Cavalry, Ser Armory Lorch, was killed in single combat by Lord Randyll Tarly, who beheaded the renegade knight with his Valyrian greatsword Heartsbane. After a grueling melee, the Lannister horse gave the ground to the Loyalists.

_33a8cd78-9cc6-47a8-ae36-ccf7c8834d21.jpg

Lord Randyll Tarly of Horn Hill and the Westmarch

On the right flank the Lannisters pushed back the Crannogmen skirmishers that had made their homes in the dense shrubbery. However, many had fallen to a hail of spears and arrows. It was the third hour of the battle when the main clash took place as both army’s centres clashed. Attacking uphill towards Gladden’s Hollow, the Westermen took serious losses as they carved through the front line of the allied forces. A notable clash occurred when Lord Jon Umber, known as the Greatjon, slew Lord Crakehall’s second son and captured Lord Plumm.

_7d59a8c4-2e24-497f-8a59-fc7ac0986d06.jpg

The Crannogmen ambush the Lannister Cavalry

The Lannister forces, despite heavy losses, were slowly beating back the combined Rebel and Loyalist forces as their superior arms and armor came into effect. In a last ditch attempt to swing the battle in their favour, Lord Stark sent most of the cavalry, led by King Rhaegar himself, on a massive flanking manoeuvre in an attempt to draw away some of the Lannister troops. In what was the largest cavalry engagement of the war, 10,000 rebel and loyalist cavalry engaged with 8,000 Lannister cavalry and 3,000 men-at-arms. King Rhaegar’s forces cleaved through the Lannisters, causing a mass rout on the left flank. Lord Oberyn Martell led 500 Dornish riders in an attempt to capture Lord Tywin, who turned and fled, causing the rest of his army to retreat. The combined army had won.

_67c55c37-51d3-4a2c-ad63-5545a48919c7.jpg

The Battle of the Lion's Roar (285 AC)

The aftermath of the Battle of the Lion's Roar left both sides grappling with the toll of war. The Lannisters suffered a devastating loss, with nearly 10,000 men lost, half of them dead. The Loyalists and Rebels, despite their victory, mourned the sacrifices of their own, totalling 3,000 and 5,000 respectively. Victory celebrations were tempered by the looming question of how the former enemies would treat each other in the wake of their shared triumph. Lingering animosities, especially among the rebels, cast a shadow over the newfound unity. Amidst the uncertainty, a night of quiet contemplation settled over the camp. Leaders from both sides grappled with the complexities of forging a path forward, torn between justice and the desire for a semblance of peace.

In a momentous decision, King Rhaegar Targaryen gathered the Loyalist commanders and announced his abdication from the Iron Throne. Expressing gratitude for their loyalty and service, he surrendered himself and the crown to Lord Stark. The symbolic act took place on the very ground where the battle had raged. On the 3rd of the First Moon, 285 AC, the reign of King Rhaegar Targaryen, First of His Name, came to an end. The abdication marked the conclusion of Robert's Rebellion, leaving Westeros to grapple with the aftermath and lay the foundation for a new era.

_313712ef-e49a-48c5-91d5-98056aa41bba.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Ned Stark is the king now? Let's hope he learns some pragmatism, or things might get very interesting...

What did Rhaegar do after advocating? For that matter, what happened to his child with Lyanna?

Is Ned married at the moment?

• 1Like
Reactions:
A whole bunch of interesting changes in this version of Robert's Rebellion.

The biggest change is that King's Landing was destroyed by the Mad King taking hundreds of thousands of lives and the physical Iron Throne with him. This act gravely tarnished the legitimacy and reputation of the Targaryens as the rulers of Westeros in the eyes of the nobility and commoners even worse than in the canon.

The monarchy of the Iron Throne was greatly weakened by the destruction of King's Landing and the actual Iron Throne. The monarchy of Westeros as a government institution was already relatively weak and decentralized even by real life medieval standards. The monarch had very few direct personal holdings (just King's Landing and sometimes Dragonstone) and fewer troops than their great house vassals. The monarchy's bureaucracy was almost nonexistent and run as the personal networks of small council members. The capital of King's Landing was militarily indefensible despite its walls and control of the city was often turned out to be an unsustainable rebellious liability during wartime instead of being a boon. King's Landing was no Constantinople despite the superficial resemblance.

Despite of the institutional weakness of the Westerosi monarchy especially after the Dance of Dragons, the Targaryens managed to continue ruling by relying on built up royal legitimacy, clever diplomacy, and the prestige of great symbols such as the Iron Throne and King's Landing. Whoever becomes the next monarch will not have the benefit of these things and will have to find a way to rule and run a monarchy that is weaker than ever before.

The Rebellion is over, but I fear the bloodshed is not.

Tywin's gambit has failed. I would certainly not have expected the Rebels and Loyalists to team up to fight the Lannisters. Fighting both the Loyalists and the Rebels was a clear overreach. If I had been in Tywin's place, I would have simply joined the Rebels and try to strongarm my way to leadership over the Rebellion or to extract concession from the Rebel leadership.

Like his ancestor Cregan after the Dance of Dragons, Lord Ned Stark is arguably the most powerful man in Westeros and in position to significantly shape the future of Westeros. However, he is not in a strong enough position to simply dictate terms to the Targaryen loyalists or to Tywin. A successful political settlement would require compromise to be successful. Knowing Ned's character, his top concern would resolving the issues surrounding his sister. Unlike the canon, the secret of Lyanna's son is out. Ned will go retrieve his sister's body and secure her son. The public knowledge of the true parentage of the boy would be called Jon Snow in the canon puts Ned in a difficult position. If a non-Targaryen is selected as the next monarch, the boy would be considered a potential threat to the new monarch regardless if he is considered Rhaegar's trueborn son or not and be at risk of being killed, imprisoned or exiled by the new dynasty sooner or later. If the boy is selected as the new king as part of a political compromise with the Targaryen loyalists, the boy would be exposed to the dangers of the Game of Thrones and be resented for the circumstances of his birth.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is Ned married at the moment?
Yeah, he is married to Catelyn Tully already
A whole bunch of interesting changes in this version of Robert's Rebellion.

The biggest change is that King's Landing was destroyed by the Mad King taking hundreds of thousands of lives and the physical Iron Throne with him. This act gravely tarnished the legitimacy and reputation of the Targaryens as the rulers of Westeros in the eyes of the nobility and commoners even worse than in the canon.

The monarchy of the Iron Throne was greatly weakened by the destruction of King's Landing and the actual Iron Throne. The monarchy of Westeros as a government institution was already relatively weak and decentralized even by real life medieval standards. The monarch had very few direct personal holdings (just King's Landing and sometimes Dragonstone) and fewer troops than their great house vassals. The monarchy's bureaucracy was almost nonexistent and run as the personal networks of small council members. The capital of King's Landing was militarily indefensible despite its walls and control of the city was often turned out to be an unsustainable rebellious liability during wartime instead of being a boon. King's Landing was no Constantinople despite the superficial resemblance.

Despite of the institutional weakness of the Westerosi monarchy especially after the Dance of Dragons, the Targaryens managed to continue ruling by relying on built up royal legitimacy, clever diplomacy, and the prestige of great symbols such as the Iron Throne and King's Landing. Whoever becomes the next monarch will not have the benefit of these things and will have to find a way to rule and run a monarchy that is weaker than ever before.

The Rebellion is over, but I fear the bloodshed is not.

Tywin's gambit has failed. I would certainly not have expected the Rebels and Loyalists to team up to fight the Lannisters. Fighting both the Loyalists and the Rebels was a clear overreach. If I had been in Tywin's place, I would have simply joined the Rebels and try to strongarm my way to leadership over the Rebellion or to extract concession from the Rebel leadership.

Like his ancestor Cregan after the Dance of Dragons, Lord Ned Stark is arguably the most powerful man in Westeros and in position to significantly shape the future of Westeros. However, he is not in a strong enough position to simply dictate terms to the Targaryen loyalists or to Tywin. A successful political settlement would require compromise to be successful. Knowing Ned's character, his top concern would resolving the issues surrounding his sister. Unlike the canon, the secret of Lyanna's son is out. Ned will go retrieve his sister's body and secure her son. The public knowledge of the true parentage of the boy would be called Jon Snow in the canon puts Ned in a difficult position. If a non-Targaryen is selected as the next monarch, the boy would be considered a potential threat to the new monarch regardless if he is considered Rhaegar's trueborn son or not and be at risk of being killed, imprisoned or exiled by the new dynasty sooner or later. If the boy is selected as the new king as part of a political compromise with the Targaryen loyalists, the boy would be exposed to the dangers of the Game of Thrones and be resented for the circumstances of his birth.
The reign of the Targaryens is over...for now. The start of the Interregnum will signal a drastic shift in the balance of power on the continent.

Reactions:
Chapter 9 - The Tower of Joy
Chapter 9 - The Tower of Joy

_bb83b51f-05c2-4363-bfbd-8e9f5f150588.jpg

One of the most enigmatic and legendary parts of the story that is Robert’s Rebellion is one of its final acts, the infamous events at the Tower of Joy. Much of what is commonly known about the event is myth, with the song writers and poets quickly using it as canvas for their own storytelling. One of the leading men of the story, Eddard Stark, cannot be relied on due to lack of information he revealed about the event. His retainers were also silent on this matter as well. However, there are two sources of information that maesters and historians can rely on to aid the creation of a more realistic view at what happened at the Tower of Joy in 285 AC. The first is a wetnurse by the name of Wylla, who was reportedly there that day. The other is Ser Oswell Whent, who accompanied Ned Stark to the Tower of Joy. The following information is based on their testimonies.

Following the Rebellion's conclusion, which will be extensively covered in the next chapter, Lord Eddard Stark led the victorious army back to Duskendale, the makeshift rebel capital. Amidst the aftermath of battle, Lord Stark sought answers from Rhaegar Targaryen regarding the whereabouts of his sister, Lyanna Stark, and the fate of their supposed bastard son. In discussions with Lord Stark, Rhaegar disclosed a clandestine love story with Lyanna Stark. The tale unfolded after Lord Whent's Tourney at Harrenhal, where love blossomed between Rhaegar and Lyanna. The two secretly wed, witnessed by trusted companions Ser Arthur Dayne, Lord Commander Gerold Hightower, and Ser Oswell Whent. Faced with the Rebellion's outbreak, Rhaegar left Lyanna at the Tower of Joy in Dorne, where she remained in seclusion. As Rhaegar delved into the events leading to the Rebellion, he revealed that the last time they met was after his retreat from the Crownlands following the Battle of Galemont. During that final encounter, Lyanna and Rhaegar conceived a child.

_5c97c1c7-a231-4dbe-acfb-62f8e1c7f771.jpg

Taking with him a retinue of his most trusted friends, Lord Stark made his way to the Tower of Joy. With them was Ser Oswell Whent, who carried a letter from Rhaegar commanding the knights to stand down and surrender the child Lord Stark. After over a month of traveling they arrived at the infamous tower in the Red Mountains. There they found Ser Arthur Dayne and Lord Commander Gerold Hightower, maintaining their guard of the Tower. Their eyes reportedly widened when they saw their white brother with Lord Stark. “You betrayed us, brother?” Lord Commander Hightower was reported to have asked Ser Oswell. “No” responded Ser Oswell “I have come because our king demanded it. You are to surrender yourselves and the babe to Lord Eddard Stark. The war is over brothers.” He then handed the letter to the Lord Commander who, together with Sword of the Morning, studied it. “It’s fake” announced Ser Arthur “we made a solemn vow, one which I plan to keep.” This angered Lord Stark, who ordered the knights to surrender themselves, noting that the war was over and they should not throw their lives away. The Kingsguard would not listen, and soon the infamous duel at the foot of the Tower of Joy began.

_8bd535c3-8957-4a30-b6c2-da7e2be1c89a.jpg

Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning

In the shadow of the Tower of Joy, seven warriors faced a crucial reckoning. Lord Eddard Stark and his six Northern companions confronted the formidable Kingsguard duo, Ser Arthur Dayne and Lord Commander Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, showcased his legendary skill, dispatching two of Ned Stark's friends in a testament to his formidable prowess. Meanwhile, Lord Commander Hightower faced off against Lord Stark in a prolonged duel that would leave the venerable Lord Commander dead. The Sword of the Morning's valiant defense against overwhelming odds ended with his defeat at the hands of Howland Reed and his trusty trident. As the two Kingsguard knights fell, Ser Oswell Whent, witnessing the demise of his brothers, could only stand aside in somber silence.

_c8ff3aca-416e-4e31-89ce-2dc257d4f138.jpg

With the white sentinels lying lifeless, Lord Stark ascended the Tower of Joy, where he encountered the wetnurse Wylla. In a small solar, he beheld Lyanna Stark's newborn son, a child with Stark eyes and complexion. Wylla revealed the tragic circumstances of Lyanna's death, and Lord Stark received a letter penned by his sister in her final days. The contents of Lyanna Stark's letter remained a closely guarded secret. Lord Stark, in a mix of grief and rage, never disclosed the words that passed between siblings in those final days. The letter became a private farewell, adding layers of complexity to the events at the Tower of Joy. As the entourage made its way back to Duskendale, one question lingered in the air: the name of the newborn. In a moment of solemnity, Lord Stark declared, "Jon." The revelation of the bastard's name hinted at a deeper connection and stirred curiosity about the child's future.

20230909193618_1.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Good writing, AxolotlKnight! It's an engaging tale of how things might have been different. Is the duel at the Tower of Joy hardcoded to happen, or could the Sword of the Morning have chosen to believe the letter?

Well, it seems like Jon's parentage is known here.

Why didn't the two Kingsguard knights believe the letter? Were they convinced that Rhaegar couldn't lose?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Good writing, AxolotlKnight! It's an engaging tale of how things might have been different. Is the duel at the Tower of Joy hardcoded to happen, or could the Sword of the Morning have chosen to believe the letter?
Thanks!
It seems to be certain to happen if the Targaryens lose the rebellion. Weirdly enough though Oswell Whent survived, which is why I had to write it as I did o_O
Well, it seems like Jon's parentage is known here.

Why didn't the two Kingsguard knights believe the letter? Were they convinced that Rhaegar couldn't lose?
With my lore hat on I imagine they didn't trust the provenance of the letter, guessing that the rebels had forged it to trick them into handing over the baby.
With my player hat on it was because the game decided the Tower of Joy duel must happen...

Reactions:
In the CK3 version of the AGOT mod, it is possible for the Kingsguard at the Tower to simply hand over Lyanna and/or her child to Ned but it does not seem possible in the CK2 version.

I guess that Jon "Sand" as he will be known as in this timeline will be known to be Rhaegar's son but he will be raised as a Northman under Ned's care and kept as far away from politics and King's Landing as possible. The situation for Jon in this timeline could be compared to what happened to Napoleon's son Napoleon II who was raised by his maternal Habsburg relatives after the defeat of Napoleon I as an Austrian duke under the name Franz, Duke of Reichstadt and kept firmly in Austria. Napoleon II/Franz, despite his intelligence and promise which concerned the monarchies of Europe, ultimately died young and childless due to tuberculosis at the age of 21. Time will tell what will become of Jon in this timeline.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Very impressed with the visual style of this AAR. Seems to be another good addition to your series.
Very curious about what graphics platform(s) you may be using, especially with the image of Ser Oswell Whent in Chapter 7. If using AI it is often difficult for such platforms to create wounds and scars. Would you be willing to share?
Thanks.

• 1Like
Reactions:
In the CK3 version of the AGOT mod, it is possible for the Kingsguard at the Tower to simply hand over Lyanna and/or her child to Ned but it does not seem possible in the CK2 version.

I guess that Jon "Sand" as he will be known as in this timeline will be known to be Rhaegar's son but he will be raised as a Northman under Ned's care and kept as far away from politics and King's Landing as possible. The situation for Jon in this timeline could be compared to what happened to Napoleon's son Napoleon II who was raised by his maternal Habsburg relatives after the defeat of Napoleon I as an Austrian duke under the name Franz, Duke of Reichstadt and kept firmly in Austria. Napoleon II/Franz, despite his intelligence and promise which concerned the monarchies of Europe, ultimately died young and childless due to tuberculosis at the age of 21. Time will tell what will become of Jon in this timeline.
You must have a crystal ball because that prediction is...well you'll find out ;)
Very impressed with the visual style of this AAR. Seems to be another good addition to your series.
Very curious about what graphics platform(s) you may be using, especially with the image of Ser Oswell Whent in Chapter 7. If using AI it is often difficult for such platforms to create wounds and scars. Would you be willing to share?
Thanks.
Thanks!
I use Bing AI Image Generator. It's not perfect but its the best free one around atm. As for the scar, it was simple dumb luck, for what ever reason, the AI generator created it but didn't censor it. It requires a lot of trial and error.

Reactions:
I use Bing AI Image Generator. It's not perfect but its the best free one around atm. As for the scar, it was simple dumb luck, for what ever reason, the AI generator created it but didn't censor it. It requires a lot of trial and error.
Thanks for the insights. Yes, you are right about Bing. It's on my list too. But a lot of hunting and pecking to get around the increasing censorship on anything connected to violence.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Seems a confrontation at the tower of Joy was going to be inevitable whenever Rhaegar ends up losing. Sadge but what can you do, I reckon Arthur and old Hightower probably had death wishes considering they did kinda commit treason too,and with Rhaegar abdicating, well, they probably thought they can't be granted amnesty by the new regime regardless of Oswell Whent being also pardoned.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 10 - The Interregnum
Chapter 10 - The Interregnum

20230909193359_1.jpg

The sudden abdication and surrender of Rhaegar Targaryen left the Loyalist leaders in turmoil. Though he had surrendered himself, Rhaegar had left the choice of the surrender of the Loyalist host to the remaining high lords. Discussions were had on whether they unconditionally surrender and bend the knee. It was clear to many that, with the last Targaryen now in rebel custody, there was little hope of victory. Lord Oberyn Martell and the Dornish were outliers, with the freeing of Princess Elia Martell from captivity being their primary concern. The discussions in the rebel camp were just as contentious. The acceptance of Rhaegar’s surrender meant that they could not simply execute without a public trial, the dishonour it would bring would possibly tarnish their cause. Then there was the discussion on what to do with the crown. Some Northern lords, the Greatjon chief among them, suggested that Eddard Stark take the crown and become king. The Stormlanders, led by Lord Eldon Estermont and Lord Selwyn of Tarth were highly opposed, stating that it broke the agreement the rebel lords had come to a year prior. Luckily for them, Ned Stark refused the crown, stating that it will be up to the lords of the realm to decide what to do next.

The next day, the Loyalists formally bent the knee to Lord Stark on the proviso that they would be spared any harsh retaliation after the war had fully ended. Part of it would be the guarantee that Elia Martell would be put under house arrest rather than imprisonment, and that the matter of her release would be utmost among the discussions of state. Together the new combined army marched back to the temporary Rebel Capital of Duskendale. Outriders were sent to deliver the news to other rebel armies, whilst ravens were released across Westeros announcing the capture of Rhaegar Targaryen.

Tywin Lannister received the news when his retreating army reached Byford, one of the Crownlander castles his forces had brutally stormed a month earlier. The news set him into a stupor and for days he refused to see any of his lords or advisors. Once he had recovered, Tywin announced that he planned to sue for peace with the Rebel leadership whilst he was still in a favourable position. Three weeks later, Tywin Lannister and the Rebel leaders met at Hayford, where they formally made peace and came to an accord. It was noted that at the meeting, Tywin submitted to Lords Stark, Arryn and Tully through gritted teeth. Still, he had now negotiated his way onto the newly established Regency Council.

Even as the last embers of the war burnt out, the future of the realm came into a sharp focus. At Duskendale, the Regency Council, in accordance with an agreement they had reached nearly three years earlier, named Renly Baratheon Lord Protector of the Realm, and Ser Harbert Baratheon the Regent. Through Ser Harbert, the Regency Council would rule the realm until the matter of succession was decided. The Regency Council was made up of main power brokers within Westeros. Lords Eddard Stark, Jon Arryn and Hoster Tully were there, alongside Lord Eldon Estermont and Lord Selwyn of Tarth. They were joined by Lord Tywin Lannister, Lord Mace Tyrell, Lord Randyll Tarly and representing his brother, Lord Oberyn Martell.

20230909193356_1.jpg

[Note: For some reason the game said Rhaegar is dead. He isn't]

Before the succession could be dealt with, the Lords of the Realm had pressing matters that needed to be dealt with. The death of the High Septon in the Green Inferno had meant that the Faith had lacked a spiritual leader for the last three years. The Regency Council declared that the High Septon’s seat would return to the Starry Sept in Oldtown and that elections could be held once again. The new High Septon, a well known Septon from the Reach and known associate of the Hightowers, won by a landslide. A pious, if malleable man, the new High Septon was given a ceremonial seat on the Regency Council, one which he never came to claim.

Roving bands of bandits, made up of former soldiers and freebooters, were next on the agenda. The Crownlands had practically collapsed into anarchy following the destruction of the capital, and outside the main settlements the roads were flush with highwaymen. Bands of soldiers were sent out to deal with them, often in bloody and brutal means. Whilst eventually the bandit menace was dealt with, it was said that just as many innocents fell to the sword than criminals. Amidst the fragile peace, the Regency Council faced another challenge — the civil war unfolding in the Iron Islands. The Ironborn, known for their tumultuous history, had erupted into conflict. [To be discussed in a future chapter.]

_ee47c7e8-59e3-4f52-94c7-416d544e02fc.jpg

Lord Tywin Lannister and Ser Harbert Baratheon

During the many meetings of the Regency Council, one matter was constantly discussed. How long could the Council cling on to the air of legitimacy before the Lords of people of Westeros begin to long for a monarch, whether on the Iron Throne or not. There were those, supported by Jon Arryn and Hoster Tully, who pushed for a decision on who would become the next monarch of Westeros. They were opposed by the Stormlander faction, led by Regent Ser Harbert Baratheon, who wished to extend the Council’s power until they were sure that there were no Targaryen loyalists left un dealt with. Then there was the matter of dealing with the former King who languished in Duskendale’s dungeons. Rhaegar Targaryen had been cooperative, and had made no demands relating to his safety or the future of his House. However, putting him on trial in front of a Regency Council and condemning him was seen as very risky as it was postulated that it could possibly turn him into a martyr.

_7ed484d3-19c6-42ab-891d-cdef79422f76.jpg

After much debate lasting for months, the deadlock was broken when Lord Eddard Stark, sick of the council’s indecision, threatened to march back north with his armies and leave the Council to do its own bidding. The removal of Northern forces would drastically tip the balance of power in favour of Tywin Lannister, who boasted the single largest army in Westeros. Ser Harbert Baratheon relented and put forth a plan to the Regency Council that they would decide the next monarch of Westeros by the end of the year 286 AC. They all tentatively agreed, pledging solemn oaths to the gods that they see this forward. Time would tell if they would keep this promise.

_1b87104a-879d-42cf-89ac-4b308264379f.jpg

• 2Love
Reactions:
This Regency Council strikes me as an organization that's going to have a hard time making decisions. Who is the legal monarch right now (who are you playing as in the game)? Jon? Aegon?

• 1Like
Reactions: