• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

InvisibleSandwi

Customization Advocate
85 Badges
Aug 20, 2012
invisiblesandwichtm.wordpress.com
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Divine Wind
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
A History of Haiti Through The Eyes of a Horse

k2g.png

Note - the "title card" is a screenshot from an old Commodore Amiga CDTV game called "The Town With No Name". It wasn't very good. This AAR, on the other hand, and along with all the others that I may create - my goal is for it to be as good as possible.

I decided, for my first attempts at a Victoria II AAR, to try something unconventional and short. Compared to my last AAR (Nostalgia Freaks, for modded EU3), here's what you can expect from this one:

- More serious in tone - probably more history book elements than Nostalgia Freaks had, even in its beginning.
- More realistic (no sci-fi shenanigans here!)
- A relatively short game. When the horse dies, the story is over.
- Varying amounts of roleplay. My willingness to play in a manner reminiscent of a real person during this period varies with time.
- Plenty of historical divergence. Most of what I know about Haiti is from its revolution during the Napoleonic wars, and I learned a few things about that by reading "You Are All Free" by Jeremy Popkin.

If anyone asks, this is a mini-AAR. I chose Haiti because it began with the letter H, and I didn't feel like trying my hand at one of the "H" grade German minors. A game with Hesse-Kassel, for instance might've been over faster than I could say "Mostly circus animals, some filler", or at the very least turned into a glorified NGF/Germany game. I am playing with HoD 3.03, so with any luck things should be quite stable, and the world I play in should develop in interesting, yet plausible ways.

Table of Contents
Episode 1 is this post.
Episode 2
Episode 3
Finale

This AAR is now complete!

"You can spread the revolution, but you can't put it on bread."

It was October 12th, 1834. In a quiet, unassuming little stable just outside Port au Prince, a human was in the process of helping a mare extract a foal from its body. The foal, if were coherent enough to form an opinion, might've expressed discontent with this - after all, the birth process involved a great deal of pressure, and oddly shaped, dark appendages grasping at the foal, and suddenly light and dirt and that wasn't so bad, was it?

"Well, that's over with. What should we call this little guy?" said a voice that the horse couldn't quite comprehend, more due to the fact it was a horse than its infancy. The question would have to wait, as the foal's mother whinnied in desperation and pain.

"Its name can wait. First, you need to take care of the afterbirth."

The foal was beginning to comprehend that he might be a separate being from his mother, as the same hands that had torn him from the womb were now lifting him and carrying him to a bucket of water.

"I think it's only fair that I name you after the greatest city in the world," said this apparent caretaker, whom the foal was assuming to be its father.

"Paris?" responded the other voice.

"No! I'm not naming anything after that cesspool of 'constitutional' monarchism! The horse's name shall be Dominic."

It would be accurate (if not particularly helpful) to say that Dominic was born into a situation of political turmoil. So far, Jean-Pierre Boyer had not done very much to make Haiti a viable nation. Its economy was based almost entirely on tobacco cultivation - not particularly skilled tobacco cultivation at that. Slavery had been abolished, but the citizens it had freed were in about the same situation they had been prior to such. Meanwhile, the free blacks complained about their loss of prestige and their degraded state - similar to that of former slaves.

Naturally, since Dominic was a horse, he was not very good at comprehending this. After his birth, he and his mother were bought by a clergyman and relocated to a plantation on the northwestern section of Hispanola. Since the clergy in Haiti were not given much respect or money (revolutionary fallout), Dominic would eventually start plowing fields on his farm, which the reverend desperately hoped would only be a secondary source of income for his family. Until then, his life consisted mostly of trotting around, occasionally eating hay once he'd been weaned, and occasionally getting a 'lesson' from his owner.

2r5p.jpg

"You know, if the government were to lower the tariffs, we'd be able to afford more food!" the reverend told Dominic one day.

1kke.jpg

Dominic didn't (couldn't) care, just as long as there was hay to munch on. To be fair, he had a hard time following the reverend's ideas, given his complete lack of human language fluency. At this point, he considered his mother a better influence, as she occasionally offered him such pearls of wisdom as "Neigh" and "Snort". Good advice to live by.

8e55.jpg

Dominic belonged to an evangelically oriented Spaniard named Eduard Cabello. When not preaching, Eduard served as his congregation's conduit of European liberalism; in addition, he occasionally wrote stern letters to the government under assumed identities. In recent years, he had managed to convince Boyer that allowing the citizens to take a greater role in Haiti's politics might not've been a bad idea in general. Boyer had responded by enfranchising the richest landowners in his country - a role that Cabello was in absolutely no position to achieve.

9u92.jpg

As it was, it was not until early 1837 that Dominic was strong enough to do productive work. Perhaps if he'd been given more food and exercise, he would've come online earlier, but in Haiti, nobody could really rely on such luck. Once Dominic began plowing fields, though, Eduard was able to improve his farm's productivity slightly, and improving his financial situation.

ryc0.jpg

If anything, Haiti was at least not affected by foreign wars - if anyone had taken an interest in Haiti's (still fairly unproductive) plantations, they would've crumpled almost instantly, tractors would have been introduced, and Dominic would've been glue faster than he could blink.

One day, someone threw a rock through the only window in Eduardo's house. Dominic was, as usual, performing basic field work, and the noise briefly startled him, causing him to tear off like he was possessed and ruin several lines worth of plowing before he calmed down.

k76v.jpg

The reverend ended up shouting obscenities at his horse for a few minutes, although he eventually ended up wandering off to look for a replacement windowpane.

o7ww.jpg

Unfortunately, Haiti was suffering from a significant glass shortage. (Make that a significant everything shortage. Haiti only produces tobacco and whatever the few artisans can scrounge up at the beginning of the game.

When Dominic went to his mother again, all she could offer him was a dejected "Neigh", which didn't help much.

On October 14th, 1838, Eduardo entertained some American visitors who shared stories of their country's prosperity, making sure to carefully gloss over the issue of slavery. Eduardo zeroed in on their discussion of steam powered carriages that could move under their own power.

egk.jpg

Haiti, being as rugged as it was, could benefit substantially from anything that reduced travel times, according to his visitors. Meanwhile, Dominic stared blankly in a corner, completely unable to comprehend that one day, he might become obsolete. Given the inefficiency of the Haitian government, as well as its severe paucity of capital, it was unlikely that this railroad project would pay off any time soon.

Dominic thought his first chance to sire offspring had come in 1839, when he saw a mare with a particularly seductive mane lazily strolling down the road. Unfortunately, she ignored him, but he hoped it was under the pressure of her driver's whip. Little did he know that this was an American tourist, who had come with intent to scout out the land for business opportunities and maybe buy a few cigars. Because of this life remained rather equine at best, with little chance for improvement in the coming years - at best, he was representative of Haiti as a whole.

mhnl.jpg

Since Dominic was a horse, he did not know that president Boyer had undertaken a substantial project in order to expand the bureaucracy of Haiti, a project that was already increasing the economic viability of the nation ever so slightly. Luckily, Dominic's owner approved, which meant the occasional break and more food.

mggr.jpg

"If everything goes to plan, I should be able to migrate to the USA within a year!" Eduard told his horse, who continued to walk forwards towards the local market.

In fact, Eduard got lucky and suffered no major misfortunes, so on March 11th, 1841, Dominic woke up to a strange, corpulent, well dressed man whacking him with a riding crop.

"Get up, horse. I am your new owner," he said. When Dominic was slightly slow to respond to this, the stranger whacked him a few times; Dominic had half a mind to kick him in response. Unfortunately, the stranger was too savvy for him, and had already positioned himself off to his side. At this, the stranger whistled and brought over a more plainly dressed servant.

"You see this, Mr. Penn? I wish to travel in style, so I have obtained for myself a steed," explained the first stranger to the second. The second didn't respond, but merely affixed unidentifiable objects to Dominic's back. Before the horse could really comprehend what was going on, a sudden pressure on its back, and an inexplicable urge to move forwards...

It took Dominic at least an hour to wonder what his mother would think.

"Look, Mr. Penn! This is going to be the source of our powers!" said Dominic's rider at one point, demonstrating the location of a sign to his servant.

"Are you sure we want to put it there? The land is awfully hilly, " Mr. Penn responded.

"We'll flatten it out if such becomes necessary."

zv21.jpg

It would be a long time before Dominic ever saw the land that would become the "1st Cap Haitien Construction Firm" again.

This is looking to be something of a quiet, industrialization oriented game. I'm gradually getting sucked into the sphere of the USA, which will probably utterly destroy my tariff walls, but potentially allow me to operate factories capable of buying their inputs, at the very least.

Last edited:
I'm playing Haiti as well, thought with PDM. I managed to puppet El Salvador and Honduras when they broke away from the USCA. After that, it got boring and really sucked. Try to nab Cuba if it goes independent or there's a weak Spain because you have accepted POPs there.

As promised, I'm following this. Although it's ... a startlingly unconventional viewpoint, to say the least. I'm really pondering where the story will head.

If you intend this to be a mini-AAR, I figure you'd have to actually quit the game on your own initiative as really Haiti is one of the safest countries in the whole game. The AI certainly isn't going to set out to invade you, will only attempt to annex if you're at war with them and they seriously have no infamy at all, and apart from that probably the worst thing that could ever happen is that half of you breaks away to form the Dominican Republic.

I'm also wondering about your strategy for development - such early factory construction is likely to turn out to be unprofitable and need heavy subsidies, and it'll get worse if you are sphered, since being sphered forces you to buy your spheremaster's goods in preference to your own. The only case where being sphered could possibly help domestic industry might be in cases where a high-tech nation gets sphered by a country that produces large amounts of raw materials and can't use them all/doesn't have the necessary tech, but they end up getting bought by higher-prestige buyers e.g. a westernised China.

I'm sure you've got a plan around this, so I shall watch and learn. Looking forward to more!

also inb4 pony fans

As I write this, I get the feeling I'm not portraying Dominic very sympathetically. Then again, he is just a horse, and I'm not really big on most animals.

In addition, given the heavy narrative focus, I should probably clarify some things about how I'm playing during this session. Suffice it to say, it's significantly different from how I usually play Victoria II - more realistic, and therefore less competent. For reference's sake, here's a few things I would to shock-modernize Haiti more effectively:

1. I'd make a bigger push for immigration, perhaps even using gamey methods like intentionally losing a war to drive militancy through the roof and ram my way to universal suffrage. This would probably also give me some high literacy POPs to speed up further reforms and research.

2. I wouldn't take railroads for quite a while, given the awful terrain of Haiti, unless I managed to win an early war and expand my territory.

3. If I were feeling gamey, I'd probably have disbanded the irregular army much earlier in favor of something with at least one unit of cavalry, and tried to hit up one of the South American independents for a province before the USA sphered them (it usually takes them a few years to notice). Colombia seems like it'd be the best target - the state of Antioquia has great RGOs, and the people there begin ever so slightly more literate than in Haiti.

In response to commentary I've received...

I'm playing Haiti as well, thought with PDM. I managed to puppet El Salvador and Honduras when they broke away from the USCA. After that, it got boring and really sucked. Try to nab Cuba if it goes independent or there's a weak Spain because you have accepted POPs there.

Cuba would be nice. It's about on the same level RGO-wise as Haiti, if I remember correctly, but still.

I haven't had a chance to properly read this yet, but I like the concept. Subbed.

Thanks for considering the AAR! Hopefully, the installment I'm going to post today retains your interest.

As promised, I'm following this. Although it's ... a startlingly unconventional viewpoint, to say the least. I'm really pondering where the story will head.

If you intend this to be a mini-AAR, I figure you'd have to actually quit the game on your own initiative as really Haiti is one of the safest countries in the whole game. The AI certainly isn't going to set out to invade you, will only attempt to annex if you're at war with them and they seriously have no infamy at all, and apart from that probably the worst thing that could ever happen is that half of you breaks away to form the Dominican Republic.

I'm also wondering about your strategy for development - such early factory construction is likely to turn out to be unprofitable and need heavy subsidies, and it'll get worse if you are sphered, since being sphered forces you to buy your spheremaster's goods in preference to your own. The only case where being sphered could possibly help domestic industry might be in cases where a high-tech nation gets sphered by a country that produces large amounts of raw materials and can't use them all/doesn't have the necessary tech, but they end up getting bought by higher-prestige buyers e.g. a westernised China.

I'm sure you've got a plan around this, so I shall watch and learn. Looking forward to more!

also inb4 pony fans

In the last week, my overall plan for this AAR has diverged from my initial concept - less gameplay, more roleplay. I don't know how far I'm planning to take this trend, but since as an AAR writer my overall philosophy for narrative is that it can take precedence over the gameplay, I'm not really opposed to doing weird things like mis-industrializing and bizarre wars if I think the characters would. As a result, my 'optimum strategy' for Haiti bears minimal resemblance to what I've done in-game, with a few exceptions, like focusing on research point gain.

If you guys have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask - I'm trying to improve communication with my fans and peers, amongst other things. The next update should be up within an hour or so, probably less.

Last edited:
A History of Haiti Through The Eyes of a Horse, Part 2

"I'm gonna find me a horse, just about this big, and ride him all along the border line."

Perhaps the most agonizing moment of Dominic's life was when he was branded the property of Nathaniel Staunton, an American banker who had taken a particular interest in Haiti after his father had left him some shares in a major Haitian tobacco plantation in his will. After that, any pain in his immediate life reduced to dull aches and muscle pains from carrying Staunton's rather corpulent figure.

Dominic's life wasn't all toil and suffering, though - he was getting a chance to see all sorts of new scenery, although most of it was dirt roads. More interesting were the people who traversed the road, and the occasional horse that towed them along. Dominic once got into a protracted argument with one about who could bray louder-

"You accursed steed! Keep your eyes on the road!" Staunton shouted, breaking Dominic's misapplied concentration. Unfortunately, Dominic was not quick to redirect his thoughts, and he nearly walked off the road and fell off a precipice, traumatizing Staunton and permanently harming equine-hominid relations. The way I see it, Dominic was not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Thusly, under the loving care of American capitalism, Haiti decided it had to industrialize, somehow. Staunton would've insisted (at least while Dominic traveled over properly paved roads) that Hispanola was an island of stability in an unpleasant corner of the world, and it was with that in mind that he convinced the Boyer government to support his construction firm.

2rbe.jpg

They immediately regretted it, as they were unable to procure the actual machinery required for manufacturing cement for over a month, and Staunton had to speak with some loan sharks, much to his chagrin.

Dominic continued his duties as consumer transportation, which soon expanded to include friends of Nathaniel Staunton, business partners of Nathaniel Staunton, and basically every flavor of humanity that interacted with Dominic's owner. Eventually, the passenger count became too much for Dominic to handle, and Staunton's carriage was modified to take an extra horse.

It didn't take this new horse very long to decide it particularly disliked Dominic, as Dominic woke up one day to find it tugging on his tail; which was particularly painful since it wasn't designed for such purposes. Dominic wasn't sure how to fight back, so it was perhaps a good thing that something tried to pull the strange new horse off Dominic. Several painful seconds later, including the odor of a fresh carrot, Dominic realized it was Mr. Penn, and the limited relationship hardware of his brain began to trace out approval.

Unfortunately, Dominic soon forgot that he'd ever cared for the fellow, but something jogged his memory the next time Penn and Staunton were in the same carriage.

"I'm just having a great deal of trouble finding affordable food for two horses. One was difficult enough. We might have to sell the other," Penn pleaded with his employer.

dd49.jpg

"I assure you things will get better! I have just finished paying back our debts incurred by our industrial machinery purchases," responded Staunton.

"I hope that helps."

From this, Dominic could at best extract hints of empathy from Penn, and remember that he'd felt the same way in the past.

f2sf.jpg

"You see, Mr. Penn," Staunton continued, "I've spent enough time in New England to realize that a good factory is the best education a man will ever get! It teaches him not only to work with his hands, but it also reminds him of his place in the grand scheme of things."

snlm.jpg

auy5.jpg

Dominic was beginning to get a headache from trying to comprehend Staunton. Couldn't he just neigh when he wanted to get something across?

After what seemed like an eternity, Staunton's factory in Cap Haitien finally was ready to start producing, and Dominic was assigned to walk around in circles in order to provide extra power for some of the machinery, at least for a few days.

8rt.jpg

It quickly became apparent that there simply wasn't enough fuel to operate the factory's machinery for more than a few hours every week. To say the least, Staunton was not very happy.

2jek.jpg

If it weren't for the fact Dominic could not negotiate stairs, he might've found the industrialist poring over imported books of philosophy.

Despite the needless strain of subsidized factories, Haiti's economy continued to turn a small profit, and Dominic continued to walk in circles for a long time.

President Boyer died on April 2nd, 1843 without much incident. A man named Adolphe Valois was named his successor, and Staunton had Dominic and his 'rival' carry him to see the new president's inaugural address. About 500 people, mostly wealthy landowners had come out to see this, but all Dominic got from it was a faint buzzing, lightly accented with hints of Cajun in a French language substrate. Apparently, in Haiti, an immigrant could become president, and at least some of the crowd thought this was a good thing, at least judging from their noise levels. Dominic was beginning to feel quite uneasy from the tumult, but then it suddenly died down and the crowds began to dissipate.

Once the address was over, along with its associated festivities, Staunton brought his horses back home, managing to seem even more irritated than before.

"He said he was going to make the tariffs even higher! Free trade is the lifeblood of the world, and Haiti is being strangled from within!" he shouted at Penn, who merely took it in stride, probably because he wasn't particularly opposed to protectionism. Penn managed to procure enough food for two horses through Herculean effort, so Dominic continued to remain oblivious to the situation.

In 1844, President Valois expressed a desire to reform the Haitian army, and ordered that his 'new model' army incorporate cavalry - in an attempt to procure additional horses he promised that the government would purchase such from citizens at a fair (read: fairly high) price. Staunton's eyes glazed over with greed when he read this, but as usual, Dominic was several hundred feet away, lazily chewing some convenient grass.

When Staunton visited the mayor of Cap Haitien and expressed his desire to sell Dominic to for military purposes, though, his hopes of earning more money were dashed.

"I'm sorry, but the government of Haiti simply does not have enough money at the moment to purchase your steed. If you want, we can put your name on the waiting list," the mayor began to inform him, but Staunton had stormed out of the mayor's office before he could get much further. After about a minute, he shuffled back in, muttering obscenities under his breath and 'reluctantly' agreeing to put Dominic on the waiting list.

As it was, Nathaniel Staunton soon forgot that he had done this, as months passed without anyone coming to collect on Dominic. Not even when the first division of 'modern' (read: Napoleonic tier) infantry was first assembled was Staunton's attention piqued; his attention remained on his struggling factory, and the Haitians wondered how the government could afford any sort of armed forces while they barely could afford to feed themselves.

i33j.jpg

On the other hand, governments around the world saw Haiti's improved ability to maintain a standing army as worthy of praise. Adolphe Valois appreciated any notice his small country got, but in secret, he questioned his ability to balance the country's budget.

eq5g.jpg

Eventually, he found solace where his predecessors did - in cheap American goods. He decided to lower the massive tariffs the Boyer government had enacted, and otherwise allow relatively unmolested trade in Haiti. At this point, the trickle of American plutocrats became a flood, and amongst other things, an entire cottage industry's worth of horses came into Haiti. Therefore, it was in May of 1845 that the Haitian government came to collect on Staunton's business transaction.

"What do you mean Dominic is being taken away? I won't stand for this!" he shouted at them as strong men attached a muzzle and ropes to the horse with intent to lead it out of the stable. One stopped to inform Staunton of the salient points of what had happened so many months ago, and pressed a large amount of money into Staunton's right hand. Suddenly, Nathaniel was all for selling his horse.

Dominic still didn't really understand what was going on around him, but then one of the men loosened the muzzle and offered him a carrot, thus sealing his obedience for the rest of his natural lifespan.

Taken into the military ... hopefully a little bit of conflict is on the horizon? The truth being that if you actually 'roleplayed' Haiti they would probably not do very much at all, nevermind industrialise, but a little bit of idealism is always a good start =)

And the natural lifespan of a horse is something like 30 years at most. I wonder what Dominic will accomplish in that time ... perhaps something incredible enough to have a country named after him.

This is a rather strange but interesting concept for an AAR. I'll follow along and hope that the newly conscripted Dominic doesn't die in his first military engagement.

Obligatory feedback post. This time, I don't have as much "behind the scenes" to speak about, although the upcoming chapter should build things up for the finale. With any luck, I'll be making it a thrilling adventure for all involved.

Excellent update! I'm really enjoying this one.

Good to see you had the chance to read it, and that you're finding it entertaining!

Taken into the military ... hopefully a little bit of conflict is on the horizon? The truth being that if you actually 'roleplayed' Haiti they would probably not do very much at all, nevermind industrialise, but a little bit of idealism is always a good start =)

And the natural lifespan of a horse is something like 30 years at most. I wonder what Dominic will accomplish in that time ... perhaps something incredible enough to have a country named after him.

As the upcoming update should show, Haiti's new president is a bit more petty than "not do very much at all", although it will take a while for this to really affect Dominic.

Hopefully being in the American sphere means easy access to American coal. Who knows, given time Haiti could become a giant in the world of cement production!

Being sphered by America did give me some access to coal, but I think this just means they aren't industrializing fast enough to consume their own. It also means my artisans are suddenly capable of producing more than they were before, to the point that some can even afford luxury goods. Industrializing via being added to a sphere of influence is more likely to work for huge, backwards countries like Austria and Russia that have trouble building industrial capacity, although I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone.

This is a rather strange but interesting concept for an AAR. I'll follow along and hope that the newly conscripted Dominic doesn't die in his first military engagement.

Thanks for following! I'm not planning to kill Dominic off quite yet, but if you were to ask him what he thought I was going to do... he'd probably stare blankly at you (Another reason this is a mini-AAR is that I want to wrap things up before that 'joke' gets too old).

A History of Haiti Through The Eyes of a Horse, Part 3

"You can't take me to the glue factory! We haven't industrialized enough yet!"

Note: This episode is significantly more time compressed than the other two so far. The last two covered about 4/5 years each, but this one covers, at best, a year of game time.

One of Dominic's better aspects was that he was very stoic, and hard to truly agitate. After a few weeks of military drills, this began to translate into an inability to startle at musket fire.

Unfortunately, President Valois was already having trouble justifying what the people of Haiti saw as an irrational military buildup. Given their limited numbers, the army was a substantial drain on Haiti's treasury. Therefore, after the vague triumph of the first infantry division's formal introduction, the Haitian "army" (which was still under significant reorganization pressure) went rather under-supplied.

f074.jpg

7d2e.jpg

In the long run, this wasn't particularly important, because the American government was more than willing to protect its investment in the Haitian tobacco plantations... despite being significantly better at producing tobacco at home. Nathaniel Staunton might've claimed the northerners were in the process of increasing their political power. In the short run, though, Haiti was running a deficit. The problem with a large standing army was that its soldiers were rarely interested in doing more than the most basic subsistence agriculture, so outside of times of war or at least some sort of national emergency, the army was essentially a useless burden on the state. This included the horses, so Dominic spent the time between his training sessions doing what he did best - chewing cud and staring blankly at the sky.

Valois's eventual decision was to force testosterone-laden blood to flow through the veins of the Haitian populace, as he began giving speeches glorifying their little island nation and demanding its benefits be spread throughout the world. Of course, since Haiti was not a particularly prosperous nation, these were not very persuasive speeches, but they did alarm Haiti's neighbors.

t37a.jpg

After the first round of military buildup, Valois commissioned a small fleet of clippers, supposedly with the intent to project power through the Caribbean. Dominic, as a result of the occasional military parade, had a chance to see their construction in action, as a few harried shipbuilders desperately negotiated for timber, cloth, and other basic naval supplies. It helped that Americans were particularly willing to sell such to the country, albeit at prices the Haitians had trouble managing. Haiti clearly was not ready for a military buildup, no matter how desperately it scrabbled for one.

On the other hand, the country might've had more time to prepare for the burdens of being a militant state had Dominic not, one day, stopped paying attention to where he was going and walked into Juan Leticias, the Colombian ambassador to Haiti. To be fair, Juan Leticias wasn't very attentive either, as he had walked straight into the path of a marching drill. Dominic had long since learned not to stop walking unless his passenger or commanding officer explicitly told him to, and Leticias was neither. As a result, the diplomat found himself rolling out of the way, tumbling into a small drainage ditch, spluttering in rage and trying to prevent the mud from accumulating too heavily on his clothes. Once he had recovered slightly, he decided the most diplomatic option was to shout Spanish obscenities at the local Haitians. Unfortunately for him, a few of them spoke Spanish.

"I'll make you eat your words, you unpatriotic scumhead!" shouted one of the soldiers, who charged into the ditch with intent to bludgeon Leticias. By then, however, Dominic was too busy not breaking formation and walking forwards to notice; as the captain in charge of the parade decided to ignore the scuffle and discipline those who got involved later.

One week later, the situation in Port-au-Prince grew tense, as further Colombian diplomats made increasingly antagonistic remarks towards Haitians. Colombia was not much better off than Haiti at this point (although it certainly could boast a more diversified economy), so much of this shaded into unpleasant racism.

1jil.jpg

To this, President Valois overreacted.

nv3z.jpg

The military was to be placed in an emergency state, with corresponding budget cuts in Haiti's limited social services. It was a bold move on Adolphe's part, but also a very stupid one, given the limits of the Haitian economy, as the new model army was already substantially more expensive than the old, even before its funding was raised.

nsar.jpg

The limited press of Haiti was much more effective, as the three or four journalists in the country immediately began producing a stream of militant sounding French gibberish that, at the least, sounded good to the peoples of the Caribbean. Over the next few months, a semi-coherent concept of "states' rights" began to develop in Haitian propaganda. Still, the fact anyone was listening to the Haitians was a miracle at best.

Meanwhile, Dominic's military training intensified, as he was now expected to gallop under simulated musket fire, and generally never fall down, lest his riders be thrown from him. The endless military marches often took him past the construction firm in Cap Haitien...

uvz4.jpg

...which surprisingly was (occasionally) producing cement now that access to American coal was assured, although without a clear market to sell to.

tmel.jpg

As a sign of the times, Dominic also began receiving semi-regular checkups from a man who claimed to be a doctor, probably because he was beginning to get rather old and the military wanted to keep its horses alive for as long as physically possible. If Dominic had been smart enough to form such a thought, he might've come to believe the military of Haiti was more competent than the rest of the country.

Regardless, Valois could not be talked out of calling off his military buildup, and the people he ruled over wanted Colombia to drown in its own blood. The alternative was being thrown into prison for trying to subvert the will of the president, or being screamed at by Haitian diplomats. Again, Dominic was lucky, because he was unwilling to speak his mind against the government... on the grounds of not really having one. As actual danger loomed ever closer on the horizon, though, there was no guarantee his luck would hold out.

I hope the war goes well for Dominic. And Haiti too I suppose. Will the army be enough to take on Colombia or is American assistance vital to the plan?
One minor nitpick: This episode would be less time compressed than the others because it only fits one year into an update rather than four or five.

I hope the war goes well for Dominic. And Haiti too I suppose. Will the army be enough to take on Colombia or is American assistance vital to the plan?
One minor nitpick: This episode would be less time compressed than the others because it only fits one year into an update rather than four or five.

I don't know if American assistance is actually vital to Valois's plan - it depends on how well I decide to play the war - but it would definitely be helpful; Colombia does start off in a better position than Haiti for sure... then again, most civilized nations (and quite a few uncivs) do. At this point, I'm kind of surprised that I decided to take the story in this direction, since in the second update, I described invading Colombia for RGOs as "gamey". Probably not as bad as going for the East Asian trio (Atjeh, Johore, Brunei), though.

Anyways, I decided to actually go through with one of my other writing projects, and I decided I wanted to blitz through that and get a good foundation going, so I ended up not having the time to work on this AAR this week! Silly me. In the interest of tantalizing, but not actually providing that much information, I will say that this other project could serve as the basis for a Hearts of Iron III alt-history scenario.

Did someone say Hearts of Iron?
The AAR looks great, Sandwich, although it is kind of obvious from the beginning of the story that Dominic will become president ;)

A horse for president? That'd be the most contrarian thing ever! Painfully silly joke aside, the final episode of this AAR essentially seals any hope the Dominician Republic has of existing in this timeline. Maybe if Dominic was a human, instead of a horse, but narrative justifications aside, I ended up taking the finale in a different direction than initially planned (less jingoistic).

Since you also expressed interest in the vaguely HoI-relevant writing project, I figure I might as well leak another detail - The work begins in 1936, which shrewd players will note to be the starting date of at least the latest title in the series. I should stress that this new project is not going to be an AAR. But I digress...

A History of Haiti Through The Eyes of a Horse, Finale

"Four legs good, two legs better!"

Haitians were good at believing conquest would solve their problems. Their military training grew ever more vigorous and enthusiastic, even as their farmers struggled to grow enough tobacco to finance them.

Dominic was now practicing the art of the cavalry charge, which, to be fair, wasn't particularly hard. Mostly, it entailed doing exactly as his rider told him, and never stopping until a harsh pull on the reins convinced him otherwise. Given the repetitive nature of the task at hand, and Dominic's limited ability to understand the flow of time, days continued to bleed into each other, even after the simulated charges stopped and were replaced with marching.

taqc.jpg

Then, one day, Dominic found himself boarding a boat.

At this point in his life, Dominic had occasionally seen the sea, if only as something he was required to stay away from for reasons he didn't quite understand. His limited cognizance allowed him to understand the transport he was being loaded on as a device for avoiding the water, and not much else. It also, for reasons he didn't yet know, reduced the amount of horses he had regular contact with. Constant training had allowed Dominic to tolerate and even accept some humans, but he still found them overly complicated in comparison to his own species.

7r42.jpg

What he didn't know was that very soon, enraged Colombians would be firing volleys of bullets at him... and unlike the simulated fire he'd received from the Haitian military, they were aiming to kill. Furthermore, the Colombians had a variety of allies they could rely on in order to bolster themselves defensively if necessary.

None of this dissuaded Adolphe Valois, and the people of Haiti wanted justice more than they wanted to listen to reason.

The first sign that something was off was that Colombia did not call its Latin-American allies for assistance against Haitian aggression. Needless to say, they probably thought they could handle the Haitian rabble, and 9 out of 10 military professionals would've agreed with them. The 10th, when asked why he disagreed, simply chewed on his hay.

v2sc.jpg

Dominic was considered a military expert on his transport of choice. The Granville was named after the commanding officer of the Haitian transport flotilla, who had taken a liking to Dominic for some unknown reason, perhaps due to his good performance in military training. As a result, Dominic had slightly better lodgings than most of the horses on his ship.

6gbe.jpg

It wouldn't matter for long, though - the Haitian "army" was ordered to land in the hills of Barranquilla, with limited supplies and not much more than mosquito repellent to protect them.

wf6g.jpg

The few militiamen defending the province literally scattered when the Haitians landed.

After that, the long process of subduing resistance in the province began - Colombian officials were gradually replaced with Spanish-speaking Haitians, and a few unfortunate civilians were shot.

6gu1.jpg

Colombian resistance, even if it was potentially capable of succeeding, was rather limited at first, as the country's fleet was on the wrong side of Panama, and other military resources were simply put... mislocated.

Dominic had not gotten much out of the first battle except a few slight thrills and explosions, but as his rider assured him, he had to continue obeying orders, so he did.

p6v1.jpg

A few months into the lengthy siege, word arrived of the main Colombian army desperately scrambling to drive back the Haitians - a few men were scrambled from a motley group of Haiti sympathizers in the province, and a few homelanders who were overcome by the call to adventure once the war had begun in earnest. All the Haitians could really do was wait and see if their army could defend itself.

On August 29th, 1846, the decisive battle took place. Thousands of irritated Colombians appeared in the hills and began taking pot-shots at a complacent Haitian division. Once they figured out what was going on, the Haitians met the Colombian attack in full force, and the battle was joined.

Before Dominic could understand what was going on, he was gallantly charging into a cluster of enemy infantry, who were too startled by the horse rushing at them to shoot or stab him. This meant he had succeeded, at least initially, in his goal. The situation was at best a blur, as Dominic repeated this maneuver, thus allowing his rider to take a shot at infantryman after infantryman...

Other Haitians were less successful by far. The average Haitian horse was less disciplined than Dominic, making it harder for their riders to use them as a gun platform.

wd47.jpg

Furthermore, they were also substantially less armored than the Colombian cavalry. It wasn't particularly good armor, due to the limited military capability of Colombia, but there was enough steel in the country to bang out a few horse cuirasses. Despite this, casualties were approximately even for some time...

Then, the Colombian general made a major breakthrough.
9f8h.jpg

He managed to encircle the Haitian soldiers, utterly destroying their mobility, utterly destroying their ability to fight, their ability to not surrender, their ability to ever win the war.

Dominic was lucky to get out of the battle unscathed (although covered in the blood of his enemies), but his rider wasn't. As the Colombians closed in, a sudden, odd weight on his back suggested to Dominic that his rider was taking a quick nap, but after a few minutes of not receiving further orders, Dominic had what would be his most profound thought ever - realizing that his rider might've, in fact, died. At this, Dominic wasn't quite sure what to do, so he reverted to his normal pattern of staring into the distance and occasionally grazing.

A few minutes later, someone said something incomprehensible to Dominic, pushed the dead mass out of the saddle, offered the horse a carrot, and any loyalty Dominic could've had to Haiti disappeared. After brief internment and reeducation for a distinctively Spanish style of command, he spent the rest of his life working at an orchard in Panama, before dying of natural causes in 1856 - a fitting end to not all that much of a legacy, I suppose. If he had ever fought another battle, Dominic might've earned more praise and perhaps a ribbon.

Epilogue

News of the dramatic defeat reached Haiti on September 23rd, 1846.

d7em.jpg

Needless to say, riots broke out, but anyone capable of suppressing these riots was either dead or in a Colombian prison camp. After a few days, they coalesced around a charismatic bureaucrat who claimed Haiti's only hope was to revert back to colonial status under one of the nations of Europe. His followers swelled in number for some time, but then they splintered as they could not decide whether to accept French or Spanish rule.

9ofl.jpg

One of the Haitian generals had managed to escape imprisonment at the hands of Colombians; at the sight of what had happened to his country, he immediately began guerrilla counter-revolutionary activity from the mountains of Hispaniola.

Tandredé Alexis was not, however, able to pose a credible threat to the 'recolonization' movement, as each 'half' of it was able to put down its differences for long enough to put down his little army. He fled again, this time to the United States, begging the country in question to intervene and save Haiti. Perhaps it was a good thing that Haiti was a republic; Tandredé was able to reach an audience with President Henry Clay, who promised to shield the Haitians from Colombia if they joined the USA as a new state.

Clay's motivation for expanding the United States into the Caribbean were initially heavily criticized by contemporary politicians. Clay defended his offer as a chance to give a territory outside the 'desired' boundaries of the USA some degree of self-determination. Northerners feared slavery would be extended to a newly incorporated Hispaniolan state; Southerns highly doubted it would occur and therefore worried it would weaken their political position.

In the end, Clay misinterpreted some stern words from the president of Colombia as an attempt to justify the annexation of Haiti (or at least the Spanish-speaking eastern half) to their own country.

7y7q.jpg

He dispatched a force to Haiti in order to put down the 'recolonist' rebellion, simultaneously pledging to defend the island from Colombian aggression. It took them some time to arrive, but they had no trouble putting down the rebellion.

Whether or not anyone on Hispaniola wanted this is up for debate, but militant activity ground to a halt on the island as the Americans brought their own order. President Valois called the landowners of the nation to vote on whether they would accept American annexation - 68% of them ended up voting yes, and Hispaniola was formally granted statehood on the 1st of March, 1847; another vote was then held to determine whether slavery would be allowed.

qzgq.jpg

The population voted overwhelmingly against the reinstatement of slavery, predictably irritating Southerners, but spurring further business investment. In the next few years, Haitian citizens had to balance the violation of their independence with the clear economic advantages integration into the States had brought.

Dominic, of course, due to having long since forgotten about Nathaniel Staunton or anyone else from the North, would never know if he'd have been better off as an American or not.

And so it ends. I do not plan to start a new AAR for some time - given how little of a break I gave myself between this one and the last, I want to take a proper break from writing in AARland before starting any new projects. What I do next, when the time comes, I have not decided yet.

Dominic had a happy ending and I suppose that's all that really matters. I did not expect that conclusion though.

That was ... over too quickly. I didn't expect an abrupt end of this sort, especially since you mentioned that the story would end with the horse's death ... and yet he got a happy end of sorts all the same. Although the beginning of the end was probably the defeat to Colombia - it was a gutsy war against a superior enemy but I'd have expected you to win seeing how you were bold enough to try it. Under such circumstances, it would probably have made more sense to start a new game, especially for a country with relatively few opportunities for expansion like Haiti. Maybe those Haitian Reactionaries wanted to institute a monarchy in your country ... a kingdom for a horse, perhaps?

It was an entertaining and cute little story of the life of an individual in Vicky-land, and perhaps a microcosm of the ordeals faced by those little POPs all over the fictitious world. Don't worry about starting a new AAR, take a break, rest, and enjoy yourself ... and do more pressing real-life things, of course. Don't worry, we'll be here when you return.