• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Walter Model said:
Maybe you can put in "Hussitenkrieg" ? :D

About the Baden thing, I think they are called a "Badener", because there are Würrttemburgers, Hamburgers ( :D ), Oldenburgers and so on...
So the correct grammer would be, "the Badener army assualted the french fortress."?

I am enjoying the detail of this battle. Nicely done. :cool:

As for views and comments, I can only counsel to give it time. The weekends have been slow recently which is partially why there was not much comment. And it also takes some folks time enough to get around to checking out the new AARs that have started. Other than that, simply get out and comment on other works as much as possible, and hopefully those people will do the same for you by commenting here.

And I am sorry to hear about your dog. And a young one too. Terrible thing. As has been mentioned, at least the suffering is over. But it remains difficult, I am sure. :(

Great little AAR you have going here Fulcrumvale. Some good use of maps, and some nice portraiture as well. Good choice of text font too. I think there is great potential here.

As for comments, give it time. I've noticed you are making a presence in other peoples' AARs as well, which is all to the good. Weekends are quiet, and just sometimes it seems everyone who reads is busy at the same time. Just one of those things ;)

Keep up the good work.

Duke of Wellington, Fiftypence, The-Great-Dane, Stnylan, coz1: Thanks :)

BTW: Does anyone here know how to make a link in a signature? Thanks.

Last edited:
WarWagons.jpg
One of the Wagon-Forts of the Baden-Sausenbergen army.​
A History of Baden​
From the Reign of Bernard I to the Present Day
Chapter 1-The acquisition of Baden-Sausenberg, Part 5​

The Battle of Denzlingen
Bernard had been somewhat overwhelmed by the outcome of the second day of the battle of Altdorf. He simply hadn’t expected the Baden-Sausenbergen army to disintegrate as quickly and totally as it had. Nonetheless, H knew an opportunity when he saw one, and immediately ordered his army to march south. Not knowing that the main Baden-Sausenbergen force had already arrived there, he clung to the idea that he could still seize Freiburg before encountering the bulk of his enemy’s army. It was a dangerous delusion.

Rudolf III’s army was already moving north to intercept the army of Baden-Baden. Rudolf knew full well that Freiburg’s stockpiles of food were already running low, and if it were besieged it would quickly surrender. If he lost this battle, he would lose both his capitol and his country.

4 ½ hors later, at 12:30 PM, the two armies squared off, in an open field to the west of the castle of Denzlingen. Rudolf had 5,000 Infantry deployed in 7 Wagon Forts, which were deployed in a blunt wedge. He also had 600 Cavalry in reserve. Bernard had 8,600 Infantry, and 1,860 Cavalry.

BattleofDenzlingen.jpg

Bernard spent the first 30 minutes of the battle testing Rudolf, and trying to figure out just how versatile the Wagon-forts were. The answer was very; they could fire and adequately defend themselves against an assault from any side. Bernard came to the conclusion that the only way to destroy a wagon fort was to frontally attack it with waves of troops. He prepared to do just that.

His first assault, at 1:00 PM, consisted of 2,000 infantry and 500 cavalry aimed at the two wagon forts on Rudolf’s left flank. Bernard’s Infantry marched up to the forts under withering missile fire, which greatly decreased their morale. By the time they reached the wagons, they were halfway broken, and were soon repulsed with heavy casualties: 400 infantry and 60 cavalry.

His next assault, half an hour later, resulted in similar casualties for no additional gain.

Finally, Bernard prepared for a third assault, around 3:00 PM. This time, the attack would be preceded by a short archer barrage (Bernard’s archers and crossbowmen had used up the vast majority of their arrows and bolts at Altdorf, earlier in the day). However, safe behind the walls of their forts, the Baden-Sausenbergen army suffered few casualties. Bernard then mounted his charger (he had found that being on horseback made commanding easier, as the height allowed him to see more) and set out for a third, doomed, frontal assault.

In fact, the attack was doomed before the lines even clashed, for, at the range of 75 yards, Bernard’s horse was shot out from under him. The horse collapsed, then crushed Bernard’s right leg under it’s tremendous weight. He was, of course, wearing armor, which meant that in the end he had only suffered a broken limb, rather than one which needed amputation.

Yet, seeing their lord apparently dead on the field, along with over a thousand of their comrades, the morale of the army of Baden-Baden simply shattered. When Bernard was finally dragged back to his own lines, he ordered a general retreat back to Baden-Baden, abandoning the conquests of his campaign.

Bernard had lost, and Rudolf was victorious.

Defeat1.jpg

There was a fairly massive debate in 'Resurrection' about the Baden adjective. We finally chose Badener, with Badenite/Badenese also getting support.

Defeat! Not good news at all.

Regarding links, in the Edit Signature tab of your User control panel so {url=????}blah{/url}, replacing the '{' and '}' with '[' and ']', and of course filling in the questionmarks with the url, and where I put blah putting the actual text you want to use.

Sorry, just comments, no updates.
First, personal questions:
Can anyone tell me how the signature system works? Yesterday, when I asked about making a link in it, it was because it finally said that I had permission to have a signature. Apparently, today I don’t again; going from 54 to 56 posts made me ineligible for having a signature.

Oh, and I’m still not allowed to post in the OT forums. Do you need a certain number of posts to do that?

And about the Baden possessive thing- I meant that as in describing organizations (eg the Austrian army, the English fleet etc.) not a single person (my mistake). If “Badener” still stands, then that’s great. If not…

Duke of Wellington, Cecasander: I really took my inspiration from an absolute beauty of a map in Director’s AAR, someplace around page 45. My maps are actually really crude; that’s basically inevitable when you only have MS Paint to work with.

Catknight, Stnylan, Walter Model: See the personal questions section.

Last edited:
That sounds rather weird. Looking at the FAQ I don't know why you could not edit a signature now. As I recall there is a post limit for posting in OT - my memory is rather hazy but I think it might be 200 posts. Anyone else know?

Very promising start. ATM, I'm only on the start of page 2, but you write very good. :)

Regarding signatures: It take a certain amount of time until you can get one. My guess is around two months, but I really don't remember.

And last, I want to say that I'm sorry about you puppy. It is very sad when such things happen. :(

Regarding sigs and OT rights: I don't know what the numbers are. They weren't in place when I joined, but Paradox has cracked down a bit since then. I THINK I heard someone say 2 or 3 weeks for the sig... This is the first I'm hearing of a delay joining OT. I'd contact one of the mods (coz1, mettermrck, stroph1) and ask them.

On the AAR: Your battle description was excellent! Well done description of a defeat! I especially like AARs that are not clear 'player romps' - those can be amusing too, but not for me in a serious work. You should get your butt handed to you once in awhile. :)

I wouldn't be too worried about 'only' having Paint to work with....yes, it's not perfect and has its moments you want to hurt it very badly - but you're not the only AAR writer to use it and be effective. I do, and people at least claim to like my maps :)

I wonder what happens now that you've been defeated.

CatKnight's right about paint - I use it all the time for screenies and I don't have too many complaints.

Nice battle once again, but too bad about the loss. I agree - it's nice to se a losing battle from time to time. Seems more honest.

And as for OT and sigs, I only know that each has a waiting period/post count rule. But I don't know the actual number. Best just to keep posting and checking. If nothing changes, then I would contact an Admin to see what is happening. Good luck. :)

Okay, I have the sad duty to inform you that this AAR will probably not see an update for about a week and a half. First I have to do all of the summer homework which I have spent the entire summer avoiding. This entail reading a book, writing 10 pages on it, reading a bunch of short stories and answering questions about them, and “reading” two “new” books and taking post-it notes. I then have to write an ungodly long essay about the ancient Greeks, citing at least once from all seven sources they gave me. After spending the next several days mired in this nightmare, I will be going on vacation to my grandparent’s house for a week (though you can probably expect an update or two then).

For anyone who cares, here is what has happened in purely game terms so far:
•Loaded as Baden.
•Built Tax Collector
•Centralization +1
•Spent most of 1419 building up an alliance of German minors (not discussed yet for the reason that alliances were illegal in the HRE. Their contributions will be rationalized next update)
•DOW Tyrol. Stiermark and a couple of other states are in this alliance (Saxony is one of them). This has been airbrushed out of the AAR.
•I moved my army from Baden to Breisgau. There, it fought a battle with 2K infantry. I was about to win, until the rest of the Tyrolian army marched into the province. Due to lack of morale from the previous engagement, I was forced to retreat.