• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Warpimp

Captain
63 Badges
Mar 4, 2007
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
Florence of the North - A Hainaut AAR

Chapter I-1399

albert.png

It was another cold morning day in the low countries as Count Albert of Hainaut held court. The day before, he had issued an order to his advisors to begin a planning to unite the germanic peoples of the low countries. He had tired of either bowing to the Holy Roman Emperor or the blasted King of France. A United Flemish people could maybe hold thier independence a prosper. Albert was not a great warrior, but he was a very competent administrator and diplomat.

His best advisor, Corneilius von Lynden a brilliant young Captain spoke first.
"My lord, we currently have 2000 footmen under our command. I suggest that we begin the training of a Cavalry regiment immediatly."

Next his head diplomat spoke. "I propose that we make it our nations mission to Ally ourselves with the King of Burgundy bec-"

"NEVER!" Albert yelled. "That bastard has half the Flemish people under his thumb. I will never allow it!"
"But your-"
"Gaurds! Send this nitwit to the dungeon"
Four burley gaurds siezed the diplomat and took him off, kicking and screaming"
Albert again spoke, "I think that it is more sensible to ally with our my our brothers in Gelre and Friesland. Make it so. Also, marry off some of my cousins or something to them to cement the deal."

Next the treasurer spoke "My lord we are not a rich nation I suggest that we send merchants to Antwerpen immediatly"
"A good plan, however, with our current mercantilist policies, I am forced to almost personally finace such ventures, for the time, no. Further more, I wish that we begin to look at the navy as a priority in the future. I believe that after we unite the low countries the sea will hold the key to our future."

von Lynden again spoke "very good sire, for the time being I suggest that we make it our mission to, I dare say god's will, is for us to build our land forces to the maximum we can support comfortable. Eight full regiments, three of our finest noble Knights and Five regiments of footmen."

Albert weighed this idea for a moment "make it so"

Finally he eyed the map before him showing the current politcal situation.

neth1.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to my first EU3 AAR. I was going to do Brabant but thier is already an AAR for them so I chose Hainaut. Hopefully my writing will get better. I am open to any suggestions, as I have played this scenario a couple of times before and it's pretty hard (or I suck).

Last edited:
Nice, another Netherlands AAR!!!

I'll be following! :D

And don't worry, you'll do fine!

Hainault :D :D :D

This will be interesting! Off the bat, I'd try to ally with Gelre and Friesland, with the goal of diplo-annexing them, and try to get some strong German countries on your side. Hesse, Cologne and the Palatinate are rich enough that they can support a nice army.

As long as the Holy Roman Emperor is a strong country, you don't have to worry about Burgundy, because the Emperor will support you if you're attacked. But there seems to be a window at the beginning where Cleves or another weak country gets the crown, and everyone is vulnerable.

Chapter 2- To Defy All Reason​

It was Christmas Eve, 1406. Count Albert rode out before his new army. Nine thousand men in all. He rode before them. Looking each of the men in the first few ranks in the eye. He know it was a mad gamble. But in order to make any gains he needed to prove his might before all other nations.

"Men of Hainout and Holland! I come to you today to ask that you may give your lives in service. But not to me..no..but to your brothers and sisters throught the Low countries. I ask you to today to march out and give your lives..FOR THE NETHERLANDS!!!"

EU3_1.jpg

That same day, they began thier march from Holland to Utrech, where the Archbishop's armies were massed. On that field the Armies put too the sword all 2000 men of the Archbishop's men. The Count, although not a great general, led his army personally.

That same day he met with the General of Gelre's contigent of two-thousand. They arrived before the close of the battle, ensuring absolute victory. Inside the Count's tent they discussed the plans for the war.

"How dare you drag us into open war with the Emperor!"
The Count was taken back by the demeanor of his ally, "The Emperor has more important things to worry about than Utrech. Namely the Polish Army laying siege to Prague at this time. I am sure he is at war with us in name only."

August 4th, 1408
It was balmy that morning when the Count was roused by an aid.

"Sire, there is a breach in the wall! And the defenders are deserting the Castle!"

After eight months of living in mud and filth. There was a chance to break the back of the Archbishop.
"Order all forces ready at once! That includes the contigent from Gelre."
"Yes, sire" Albert immediatly began to don his armor. They would storm the castle this very day"

EU3_2.jpg

The Count found his way into the Archbishop's quarters, he found the room empty. A soldier came to him, "Sire, the Archbishop was found trying to leave the Castle dressed as a beggar. What are your orders?

"Send him back to Rome, unharmed. But with a letter stating that all church land in my realm will belong to me and the people of the Low Countries."

Later that evening, reports came from Bohemia. Things were looking good for his alliance. The armies of Gelre and Munster and Friesland were laying siege to two major Bohemian castles. He sent out an order-"as soon as this months replacements arrive he march on the Emperor."

Defying the Emperor so soon!!! :eek:

I like it! :D

April 18th, 1408
The siege of Bohemia was going fine for Count Albert. There had been no sign of the Emperor's Armies since they had marched on Bohemia. The siege was going slowly. However, he had no real mind to actually sieze land in this land. But he needed a vicotory to bring the Emperor to the peace table.

On the 19th of April scouts began to bring in reports.
"Peace with Poland!" Captain von Lynden looked as if he had been struck by a hammer. "This is bad news indeed my Lord. It appears the whole of the Imperial force is marching on us. There seems to an army to the north numbering about 14000 and one to the west of at least 12000."
The count looked at the map. "It seems all of Freislands forces are concentrated at Sudety. We'll ride from here with our over eight thousand and meet with them there. When the Emperor faces us we'll just be slightly outnumbered."

The next day reports came from Sudety that another Imperial Army had come form the southwest, decimating Freisland's Army. The count ordered and Immediate halt and changed direction into Erz. After arriving, they set up defenses along the river. The Imperial Army came. Thier nubers appeared to be almost twice those of the Dutch alliance, but they looked war weary and ragged. Almost 5000 Dutch heroes died that day, including all but twenty of the young noble knights. But at the end of the day, the the Bohemian General withdrew from the field. Not wishing to see anymore slaughter that day. The next day the Count's diplomats were able to secure a Status Quo peace with the Emperor. And they marched back to rebuild thier shattered armies.

June 7th, as they parted ways, the Count of Hainaut and the Duke of Friesland met in Gelre before thier armies parted ways.
"Albert, was it worth it?"
"Of course. Why do you ask?"
"I have seven-thousand men's blood on my hands. Never again will i butcher for you."
EU3_6.jpg

Albert began to think of the reprecussions and opportunities this may bring.
==========================================================
Sorry for not having any battle pics. I will definatly rectify that in the next war. Hope every one is enjoying this!

The Duke of Friesland must be punished for his lack of faith in the dutch!

I say annex him. :D

Chapter 3 - Against the Giants​

Guillaume.png

Guillarme III

After the Bohemian War, it took several years for Hainaut to recover its manpower. However, the display of military might was enough to impress the Count of Gelre who swore fealty to all future counts of Hainaut. In 1412 the Count Albert Died. Leaving his son Guillarme to recieve his titles and land. Guillarme, however decided that to receive the fealty of the Count of Gelre a higher title was necissary and was grudgingly crowned by the Bishop of Utrech as Guillarme III Duke of Hainaut and Holland.

During these years the King of Bohemia was ill and it was sure that he would not be long for this world. Burgundy was looking Hungrily at Lorraine and the Lords of the Low Countries, namely Hainaut and Brabant, viewed this as an opportunity they both garaunteed the independece of Lorraine in hopes of containing Burgundy.

From the journals of Guillarme III

April 16th 1417 - Burgundy declared war on the Duchy of Lorraine. A year before I had instituted the Idea of a Grand Army amongst our nation and our army now numbers Fourteen thousand men.

EU3_1-1.jpg

Duke Guillarme deployed his forces to Antwerpen and Vlaandaren immediatley. Personally leading his cavalry to surround and besige Antwerpen. Unfortunatly this left the Capital city of Hainaut undefended. Luckily an Army from Brabant was able to lift the siege and by the end of the year Antwerpen and Vlandaren fell. Freeing up the Dukes Cavalry to deal with an large Aragonese force that had landed in Holland. For this action the Duke hired a force of crack Hessian Knights.

EU3_2-1.jpg

After months of skirmishes the Guillarme was able to force the Aragonese to face his horsemen at Zeeland. They never stood a chance. The thousand men at Utrech capitulated weeks later.

EU3_7.jpg

County of Utrech, 1418

Guillarme looked upon the destruction the Hessian mercenaries had caused. He had noticed that thier tactics favoured mobility and hitting the enemy hard. He decided that he would like to try to emulate these tactics in his own army.
EU3_4.jpg

That evening he met with an Aragnese emissary. Short swarthy diplomate made his way into the Duke's tent and bowed graciously.
"Sire, you have called for me?"
"Yes, as leader of the Alliance against your Lord and the King of Burgundy I have the right to speak for the whole of my coalition. I am willing to let you out of this destructive enterprise. I will allow you to keep your gains in Italy. On the condition that you no longer intervene in this war."
"I will bring this news to my master"

Several days later a pact was signed officially putting Aragon out of the war.

EU3_8.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------next update soon!!

After Aragon left the war, Burgundy stood alone against the Dutch Coalition. Soon all of the Low counrtries were secured by either Hainaut or Brabant and Duke Guillarme, after securing the permission of France and cementing it with his marraige of a French dependant. Moved his Armies into Lower Burgundy and into layed siege to the Castle of the King of Burgudy. Before the end of the siege Guillarme received an emissary from insided the castle. The king of Burgundy was offering terms!

EU3_9.jpg

However, these were not acceptable to Guillarme and he offered a seperate set.

EU3_10.jpg

After the war the Duke spent much time in Antwerpen, learning about trade from several of the local merchants. Seeing the error of current policies he set about bringing more free trade in his Kingdom.

EU3_11.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, i'm glad to have that nightmare wrapped up! I missed a lot of screenies while i was busy chasing around the Aragonese army. promise to get better at that. Also, tried a little diffrent style of writing for this one. What do you guys think? I'm very open to suggestions, anything that can make my first AAR great.

Feeling a little Machiavellian, eh?

As long as the state remains the most important thing, you will succeed! :D

Why not Vlaanderen and Antwerpen, wouldn't he accept that??

Good AAR though, will be following :)

That was a nice way of dealing with Aragon, meanwhile you are doing a good job with your neighbors, soon will have the Netherlands!