• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Warpimp said:
I hope Nichollo will be proud!

Next update-
EU3_12.jpg

By the way, it's great to have a popular writAAR like Euro as a reader!
:D

I knew the duke of Friesland would not go unpunished!

Chapter 4- Fulfilling God's will!

In 1423 the the Duchy of Hainaut began feeling it's first growing pains. A massive uprising in Antwerpen began. The people were calling for an independent nation of Flanders. Duke Guillarme personally led the attack.

EU3_5.jpg

The battle was fierce, however the Duke brilliantly performed several flanking manuevers and was able to get his cavalry fighting on the wings and soon crushed the rebels. However before striking the death blow, the Dukes great mind began to work a plan.

Vlandarren, October 1423
Duke Guillarme had agreed to meet with the rebel commander, Floris van Petershem. In the middle of the battlefield the two men rose towards one another. The Dukes aide de'camp, his young nephew Jean a spoke first.

"Here are the Dukes terms. First you shall regroup your army and begin to march southwest, along the coast. Second, you shall renounce all claims to any of the Dukes lands. These are our terms."

On the Second of March, free of Burgundian interference the Count of Vlaanderen declared his independece. The Duke then met
Jean was not an exceptionally smart man, however he was a monster on the battlefield. He also made a good study of his uncle and granduncles methods of diplomacy.

The rebel commander, expecting to be hung, couldnt have ever imagined terms this generous. This was essentialy Ducal backing to beseige Flanders.

"I accept these terms. When the time comes, will I see you again?"

The Duke smiled broadly, "I will be there on the day of your independce. I will not allow Burgundy across my boarders and will accept brotherhood with your nation when it arises."

The two men shook hands and rode thier seperate directions.

After the seige of Vlaanderen, the rebels marched onto Brabant. They were summarily slaughtered there.

Days after the battle the Duke met with his treasurer. With Antwerpen safe he had decided to finance a full Merchant mission into the markets there.

EU3_6-2.jpg

On the Second of March, Floris van Petershem declared himself Count of Vlaandaren. Lord of the Nation of Flanders. The same day the Guillarme moved his army in to greet the new Leader.

EU3_7-1.jpg

Shortly thereafter the Fortress fell. The new "count" was brought out in chains before the Dukes nephew, Jean.

"Hang him for the traitor he is!"
EU3_8-1.jpg

After these displays of military might and the triumph of will. Luxembourg declared fealty, under no duress at all. To Duke Guillarme.

EU3_2-2.jpg

Days later, the Duke would die abruptly. Some say it was the pox, others said poison.

175px-Guillaume_II_de_Hainaut.jpg

EU3_11-1.jpg

Duke Jean the third quickly began to consolidate power in the wake of his Uncles death. He also immediatly began negotiating with bands of mercenaries from Norway. He began his plans to finish what his Uncle had started.

The declaration of war of Freisland brought several once allies against the Duke. As well as the Holy Roman Emperor in Thuringia. Freisland fell quickly, leaving Brabant, Munster, Brunswick and the Emperor left to be dealt with.

EU3_13.jpg

The battle of Breda was long and bloody. However, Duke Jean personally led the assault against Brabant's forces and was soon able to bring them under control.

However he realized that he could not fight this many nations at once and a white peace was soon made.

Jean the Third looked upon his updated maps. Now only Liege and Brabant remained independnt of his realm. He would need these realms to be able to truly name himself King of the Netherlands.

EU3_18.jpg

Last edited:
I just love the Machiavellian tactics of your kings! :D

And yes, Brabant and Liege must be brought into the realm.

Just a matter of time before the Netherlands are formed...

Interlude​

Shortly after 3rd War of Hainautian Agression there was a period of relative calm amongst the lowlands. A bit to the south however, Burgundy was being thouroughly pounded by France. And rebels were beseiging the porvince. The Ducal spymaster had arranged talks with thier leaders to secure thier loyatly as well as with the Burgundian garrison there to quickly capitulate.

EU3_2-3.jpg

France however, also has claims to Valenices, relations were good with them however. And relations were soon cemented with a full alliance. Effectivley securing the southwestern border.

To the west, the Duke received word that two of the Imperial Electors have thrown thier lot with him. His vassal in Luxembourg and the Count of Saxony who recently married his niece, Margaret. He never realized that he was so well like by the saxons and soon they had sworn thier fealty to them.

EU3_9-1.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Europe at a glance​

EU3_3.jpg
France inherited the Scots in 1410's

EU3_4-1.jpg

England was surprisingly resilient, however.

EU3_5-1.jpg
Italy is a mess with some wierd mutatant Aquilla dominating croatia and serbia.

EU3_7-2.jpg
And the Pope does a little crusading himself!!!

EU3_6-3.jpg
Germany is pretty normal. Luckily Bohemia lost the crown before it could blob too bad.

Tjena Med Laxen - He would only let me get two provinces and one of my missions was to get Artois. So I took that one. And as you can see, Vlaanderen was take care of.

Enewald - Good to have you aboard!

EUROO7 - I think I may have to find a moderator to change my AAR name to "Florence of the North - a Hainaut AAR"

Capibara - Unfortunatly i dont have the right culture. maybe it will change when i annex Brabant otherwise i'll have to mod the decision. But yes, i'm very close!!

comagoosie - I just inherited a 5000 man army with valenices, however. My current 18000 is more than I can afford really and funding is through the floor.

I am in need of some advice though. After Brabant I want to move into the colonial game. However, full mercantilism sucks and is taking forever to get down. So i have a major problem with funding at the moment. Any suggestions?

:p

"Florence of the North" I like it! :p

Do you lower army maintenance during peacetime?

If not you should.

And what great luck to have the southern front protected!

yeah i always drop army maintenance. I think I will be ok once cores hit for vlaandaren and antwerp. But i'm falling behind in tech. Think i may change out grand army for something that'll help bring in some cash. also, it seems whenever I try to get the emperor title i never can. now that it's not a goal, cologne just declared for me and it looks like i'll win it. I guess that will make taking out leige and brabant easier.

Whoah, a mutant Aquilla? I wonder if Leonardo, Raphael, Michaengelo and Donatello will come from there...
You're doing great! I'm enjoying this 'Florance of the north' :).

Chapter 5- With a Titan by my Side

For several years after the 3rd war Europe was at a relative peace. Burgundy fell from it's heights to become a minor power after revolts in the late 1430's led to the defection of many more provinces to the French crown.

In 1443 Philip of Brabant made announced that he would assume leadership of Cleves as well as his own realm. This greatly upset Duke Jean III of Hainaut.

EU3_8-2.jpg

"If anyone is to be doing the dominating here it is I!!" he yelled at his advisors.
"Upstaging me! ME! Soon to be Emperor!" the Duke was known to fly into rages from time to time, but this was the worst.
"This is it! Immediatly mobilize every last man we have. Well move to Breda from Utrech in the north and cross the river while the main army will move laterally from Zeeland. Send the orders immediatly!"

"But sire! They are allied with England? We have no navy, how shall we invade them?"
"What!?! you question me! Gaurds!! Take him away! does anyone else have 'questions'? France can worry about England!"

They next day war was declared.

The Grand Battle of Breda was undecisive. There were many other bloody battles as Dukes Jean and Philp battled over eastern Brabant.

EU3_10-1.jpg

Finally, with the help of French Armies Brabant was beaten. They were to end thier vasselization of Bruswick and release Cleves as an independent nation. However, the Duke was recieving reports that the Frech navy was being overrun and the war in scotland was going badly. As the primary belligerant he had the authority to end the war.

EU3_11-2.jpg

The war contiued a little longer. However, once Holland was threatened by an English Navy with a contignet of Men at Arms. The Duke decided peace was necissary at this time. He was able to convince the French King that the war in scotland was lost and they agreed to cede Lothian to England.

The scottish capital was a symbolic gesture to the English and hopefully would satiate them enough to not seek the rest later, the Duke said.

EU3_16.jpg

Monnikje - Good to have you along! I always love a good TMNT reference. By the way, I'm a huge fan of your Granda AAR.

Is that France in Limburg?

Too bad about the war in Scotland though.

Warpimp said:
It was, luckily it revolted rather quick and I managed to gobble it up. Forgot to take screenies of that though. I forgot to look who had possesion when I sued for peace. Not really a bad thing in Scotland. I want to keep France busy for the next 100 years or so...
And you surprise me again with your Florentine ways! :p :D

France should not have been given that province of Limburg... :eek:

Hainaut looks great! :rolleyes:

Good pope, when no one begun crusading when he told them to, he must have been the only one to join his crusades.... :p

piff133 said:
Just an FYI, Hainaut cannot form the Netherlands, but the Netherlands is just a name change and some cores, right? Otherwise, great progress so far.
Why can't it?

I thought it was dutch?

by the way, I have to close this AAR, the save got messed up when my laptop crashed. It can become netherlands but you have to switch your capital and culture shift first. i'm playing a game now with burgundy and just formed netherlands with them and then i'm going to try to form france.

I do have another AAR idea, though.