• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hessler

Captain
2 Badges
Jun 24, 2004
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • 500k Club
A short guide how to set up a proper Multiplayergame.

1. all players need to have the same checksum. It does not matter if the version is from steam, impulse, boxed version etc. The checksum ( on game start upper right corner, 4 digits long ) has to match.

2. Be sure that all firewalls in the way are turned off or let pass the following TCP Ports ( port forwarding, NOT port triggering ): 47624, 2300 - 2310. I am aware that HoI 2 manuals ask for way more open ports, but this settings run fine on my system since ages. As Host and as client !

3. By aware that some versions of Windows deal with a feature called "virtual store", which can lead to troubles with write permissions. Please install your game NOT under c:\programs, but on a different drive ( D: ) or in a different folder ( i.e. C:\games\ )

4. Start your game with Administrator rights.

5. LAN only game:
Check firewall settings. Firewalls need to be turned off or forward the above mentioned ports

6. Direct IP games:
Be sure that your local firewall is turned off or forwards the above mentioned ports. Be sure, that your router's firewall is turned off and allow port forwarding of the above mentioned ports to your computer. In a typical environment the computers IP Adress starts with 192.168.x.x. The router needs an entry in his configuration to forward the above mentioned ports to this IP Adress ( 47624 -> 192.168.x.x ). To get the IP Adress of your computer click "Start", "run" "cmd" and type "ipconfig" in the small black box which opens. This command returns your IP adress.

7. Games via UMTS, HSDPA, HSPA:
Users whit this kind of internet connection who want to take part in an MP game can't configure port forwarding. They have to use a LAN emulation software like Hamachi or Gameranger. This software needs to run on the host computer too.
Users whith this internet connection have typically IP Adresses starting with 10.x.x.x
In this case the firewall issue is still valid, so check your local firewall settings to allow incoming connections.

for step 3 is it okay my friend and I have it installed on steam? also we use hamachi and we try to connect but sometimes it freezes but then you can move the mouse again so nothing happens and the game isnt found, do you have any tips?

so far I port forwarded the numbers on my firewall but he has not done so yet, and do we need anything because i have vista and he has windows 7

thanks in advance

Your mate needs to configure his personal firewall on his computer or he needs to switch it off for the game. I clearly recommend the first solution ( proper FW configuration ).
All the other points ( different OS and such ) are ok.

btw, you checked you have identical checksums ?

We should have the same checksum since we got it on steam on the same day but for FW configuration he doesnt know how to port forward through his firewall in windows 7, any tips? (by now we should have confirmed checksums)

Sorry,
i don't have or know Windows 7. But if you start the game and the windows firewall blocks a connection, a pop up window should appear asking you if you accept this connection or not.

The checksum does not depend on the the supplier of the game, but on the patches you installed.

we have the same patch 1.01 and he tried to connect with his firewall off but we still couldnt connect and for me it froze and just nothing happened but it didnt say that i couldnt find his game, just a question but since we try to use Hamachi should we host LAN then join by internet?

If the game "hangs" after choosing Multiplayer over a certain adress, then the connection from host to client is not ok ( check FW settings on client computer ).
If you use Hamachi, you should select a LAN game.

Obviously you have the same checksum like your mate ;-)

After struggling for hours with this, trying out different settings and all that we finally got it to work reliably. There seems to be something wrong with the multiplayer game room, if the game has been hosted too long you won't be able to join, so the host needs to host the game and the client needs to join very soon after or the game goes into an inactive state where it hangs for like a minute if you try to join. So basically host a game but the client needs to join soon after or it won't work. You can go back a step and rehost though, you dont have to restart the game.
Ps: We did it with admin right on game, all firewalls off and the ports specified enabled ( I do not know if it it had an impact) Also it worked with hamachi and normal ip.

EDIT: We had some problems again shortly after I posted, where we could manage to join eachothers game but after like a minute or so we would disconnect from eachother, my friend could see me typing but i couldn't see him, the chance of joining eachothers games also seemed to be completely random, even with the exact same configuration you had to get lucky to manage to join. We DISABLED UPNP on our router(both of us) and we haven't had that problem again, this has been the case of previous hoi2 games also where disabling upnp fixed connection problems, after disabling upnp we have had no problems with connection and we haven't had to rehost once even. So if have tried everything else including ports, firewall, etc you may as well try disabling upnp on your router. Though it may be up to indivdual router and setups of course, but it has worked for me, so i advise anyone who are having problems to try that option.
@Hessler
All my firewalls are on now yes, I disabled everything to try and troubleshoot what was wrong, and it seems to have been UPNP.. (I have no idea why it is that, it just is) :p

Last edited:
Under some circumstances it happens, that a connection times out. So if the host opens a game, it is only valid for some minutes if nothing happens. As long as the host receives and sends data, the connection remains and other users can join.
Up to now i have no clue if this is related to the game, the router or to the internet provider.

If you enabled the specified ports, you can ( and should ) switch on your firewall ;-)

Just making sure i port forwarded just for good measure :l what did you forward your ports with because i added ports on my windows firewall also Rizel how did you connect by hamachi or external ip address or what?

Last edited:
I can't figure out how to do my ports, anybody willing to die it for me in Teamviewer (I know I'm being.. trusting right now.) or give a REALLY detailed guide on how to?

Edit: A friend of me told me that dates are all wrong in Multiplayer too? That one person is for example February 2, and the other Januari 16?

Last edited: