• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Edit: A friend of me told me that dates are all wrong in Multiplayer too? That one person is for example February 2, and the other Januari 16?
Pure nonsense.
Date and time are only different if the game get's asynchron. Reduced speed and some pauses initiated by the host let's the other player catch up and re-synchronize.

I've tried everything and simply cannot get it to work. I've forwarded all of my ports on my router, disabled Avast! and Windows Firewalls, and a direct connection would not work. Hamachi would not work either, so I instead went ahead and tried it with Gamesranger, and whenever the game launches via gamesranger, it simply dumps me at the main menu rather than taking me to the lobby (though it does take my friend straight to the lobby, and I wind up not even being able to find the lobby via LAN as I should be able to). Could it be because I have purchased the game via steam?

I have it on steam too, as does my friend, and it is horrid we aren't getting as much help as we should.

I second this. I am not one-hundred percent sure if it is because of STEAM, but I have been repeatedly told that Multiplayer is inaccessible to STEAM users essentially.

I mean in no way to be rude to the Devs or anything, but someone seriously needs to look into reworking or fixing multiplayer accessibility in general. Everyone on STEAM I have met is telling other people to just torrent the game, as apparently it works on MP. Overall, it's downright frustrating personally.

If anyone could give us a clear cut, simple, or just working, method for setting up a multiplayer game, a thousand blessings upon them.

Last edited:
2. Be sure that all firewalls in the way are turned off or let pass the following TCP Ports ( port forwarding, NOT port triggering ): 47624, 2300 - 2310. I am aware that HoI 2 manuals ask for way more open ports, but this settings run fine on my system since ages. As Host and as client !

For safety for all paradox games i open 2300-2400 (it was written for eu2), 28000-29000 (hoi2 manual), 47400-47700. Yes, it works good with any pdox games.

7. Games via UMTS, HSDPA, HSPA:
Users whit this kind of internet connection who want to take part in an MP game can't configure port forwarding. They have to use a LAN emulation software like Hamachi or Gameranger. This software needs to run on the host computer too.
Users whith this internet connection have typically IP Adresses starting with 10.x.x.x
In this case the firewall issue is still valid, so check your local firewall settings to allow incoming connections.

You can order external IP from your provider, and then if you receive directly, it should work (if through router, you need to set port forwarding at router). I never tried, but it should work to connect, though the ping is never stable.
New LTE provides really stable ping (tested in World of Tanks), so should be playable.

So to play pdox games you have to have:
1. External IP
2. Port forwarding at your router
3. All firewalls off or definetely made proper exceptions

If you don't have, use hamachi (www.hamachi.cc)
Gameranger was not stable much, when we tried it - comparing hamachi
We tried one more client- tangle - it was unstable as well - connection was dropped out after some time.

With hamachi you should have green lights to server and to all (no blue, yellow or orange), and best if to all players. If your connection is under many routers or weird routers or HSDPA etc sometimes you have only blue - limitted connection, and you will drop the game after several minutes for sure.

If any player is using hamachi in game, all should use hamachi, even if connection by external ip to server - that avoid to have misconfiguration between players (in eu2 it meant like i see zero armies, while there can be several thousands troops). Also at Hamachi they recently limitted (free?) group to 7-8 users instead of 17 before - that makes problems for mp game to have several hamachi groups for intercrossing of users.

But the best solution is still same as written before - buy external ip, configure your router, firewall offs. Sometimes you can think the problem is not your end, but after all the problems are only these three rules.

Last edited:
For safety for all paradox games i open 2300-2400 (it was written for eu2), 28000-29000 (hoi2 manual), 47400-47700. Yes, it works good with any pdox games.

You can order external IP from your provider, and then if you receive directly, it should work (if through router, you need to set port forwarding at router). I never tried, but it should work to connect, though the ping is never stable.
New LTE provides really stable ping (tested in World of Tanks), so should be playable.

So to play pdox games you have to have:
1. External IP
2. Port forwarding at your router
3. All firewalls off or definetely made proper exceptions

If you don't have, use hamachi (www.hamachi.cc)
Gameranger was not stable much, when we tried it - comparing hamachi
We tried one more client- tangle - it was unstable as well - connection was dropped out after some time.

With hamachi you should have green lights to server and to all (no blue, yellow or orange), and best if to all players. If your connection is under many routers or weird routers or HSDPA etc sometimes you have only blue - limitted connection, and you will drop the game after several minutes for sure.

If any player is using hamachi in game, all should use hamachi, even if connection by external ip to server - that avoid to have misconfiguration between players (in eu2 it meant like i see zero armies, while there can be several thousands troops). Also at Hamachi they recently limitted (free?) group to 7-8 users instead of 17 before - that makes problems for mp game to have several hamachi groups for intercrossing of users.

But the best solution is still same as written before - buy external ip, configure your router, firewall offs. Sometimes you can think the problem is not your end, but after all the problems are only these three rules.

..I'm sorry? Buy external IP just because the devs flat out refuse to work on making this easier? No, I'm not spending more money. I'm inclined to agree with a few posts above, people are more likely to torrent it then buy it on steam or so as it works alot easier apparantly, which in the long run will cost Paradox money.

Seriously, can nobody explain how to /EASILY/ do the ports for your router instead of demanding we buy External IP? We already bought the game, not gonna buy something extra for the multiplayer. Devs.. Kindly DO SOMETHING with this.

as far as i know, all pdox games are done this way. I prefer to pay for external ip and enjoy playing eu2 and dh (before hoi2) mp.
If you don't have external ip, use hamachi, it is free. But then all players in MP game should use it.

After struggling for hours with this, trying out different settings and all that we finally got it to work reliably. There seems to be something wrong with the multiplayer game room, if the game has been hosted too long you won't be able to join, so the host needs to host the game and the client needs to join very soon after or the game goes into an inactive state where it hangs for like a minute if you try to join. So basically host a game but the client needs to join soon after or it won't work. You can go back a step and rehost though, you dont have to restart the game.
Ps: We did it with admin right on game, all firewalls off and the ports specified enabled ( I do not know if it it had an impact) Also it worked with hamachi and normal ip.

EDIT: We had some problems again shortly after I posted, where we could manage to join eachothers game but after like a minute or so we would disconnect from eachother, my friend could see me typing but i couldn't see him, the chance of joining eachothers games also seemed to be completely random, even with the exact same configuration you had to get lucky to manage to join. We DISABLED UPNP on our router(both of us) and we haven't had that problem again, this has been the case of previous hoi2 games also where disabling upnp fixed connection problems, after disabling upnp we have had no problems with connection and we haven't had to rehost once even. So if have tried everything else including ports, firewall, etc you may as well try disabling upnp on your router. Though it may be up to indivdual router and setups of course, but it has worked for me, so i advise anyone who are having problems to try that option.
@Hessler
All my firewalls are on now yes, I disabled everything to try and troubleshoot what was wrong, and it seems to have been UPNP.. (I have no idea why it is that, it just is) :p
I must say disabling UPnP on all routers made the difference for me as well. I'm using Hamachi, and had also forwarded the three port ranges Tonioz recommended (2300-2400, 28000-29000, 47400-47700), but that alone wouldn't cut it. Both my friend and I are playing the Steam version, which dispels the baseless rumour Darkest Hour on Steam is somehow incompatible with multiplayer. And even if that were true, torrenting the game (a nonsense suggestion I've heard) wouldn't make any difference, as DH can be run outside Steam just fine. But I digress.

We've played two hours straight so far, with no problems nor noticeable lag (we live in the same city).

As for help with port forwarding, given the myriad of routers out there it's impossible to give an easy, universal guide. So I recommend finding out your router's brand and model, and then finding a specific guide here. I don't think there's a particular set of instructions for Darkest Hour on that side, but the port information on this thread and PortForward's default guide for your router model should suffice. They're step-by-step walkthroughs, so tech savvy isn't critical.

Good luck! ;)

Hi guys,

I try to Play a multiplayer-Party DH (with my own mod) with a friend. We used hamachi, but It don't work. I didn't see his game, there is always *no game found*. Both if he host a game.
Both of us launched the game with administartor-rights and both us us deactivated our Firewall. Both of us use Win 8.

What could be the Problem?

Greez

Stahl-Opa

Me and my Friend are currently having the same problems.

We tried everything, we used Hamachi, Evolve, Tunngle (Gameranger does work, but the other player stucks on the timeline after a while).

We started the Game with Admin rights and deactivated Firewall. We use Win. 8 too, any solutions on this ?

A short guide how to set up a proper Multiplayergame.

1. all players need to have the same checksum. It does not matter if the version is from steam, impulse, boxed version etc. The checksum ( on game start upper right corner, 4 digits long ) has to match.

2. Be sure that all firewalls in the way are turned off or let pass the following TCP Ports ( port forwarding, NOT port triggering ): 47624, 2300 - 2310. I am aware that HoI 2 manuals ask for way more open ports, but this settings run fine on my system since ages. As Host and as client !

3. By aware that some versions of Windows deal with a feature called "virtual store", which can lead to troubles with write permissions. Please install your game NOT under c:\programs, but on a different drive ( D: ) or in a different folder ( i.e. C:\games\ )

4. Start your game with Administrator rights.

5. LAN only game:
Check firewall settings. Firewalls need to be turned off or forward the above mentioned ports

6. Direct IP games:
Be sure that your local firewall is turned off or forwards the above mentioned ports. Be sure, that your router's firewall is turned off and allow port forwarding of the above mentioned ports to your computer. In a typical environment the computers IP Adress starts with 192.168.x.x. The router needs an entry in his configuration to forward the above mentioned ports to this IP Adress ( 47624 -> 192.168.x.x ). To get the IP Adress of your computer click "Start", "run" "cmd" and type "ipconfig" in the small black box which opens. This command returns your IP adress.

7. Games via UMTS, HSDPA, HSPA:
Users whit this kind of internet connection who want to take part in an MP game can't configure port forwarding. They have to use a LAN emulation software like Hamachi or Gameranger. This software needs to run on the host computer too.
Users whith this internet connection have typically IP Adresses starting with 10.x.x.x
In this case the firewall issue is still valid, so check your local firewall settings to allow incoming connections.

Do you know how to restart a savegame in multiplayer?

Hi guys,

I try to Play a multiplayer-Party DH (with my own mod) with a friend. We used hamachi, but It don't work. I didn't see his game, there is always *no game found*. Both if he host a game.
Both of us launched the game with administartor-rights and both us us deactivated our Firewall. Both of us use Win 8.

What could be the Problem?

Greez

Stahl-Opa

Me and my Friend are currently having the same problems.

We tried everything, we used Hamachi, Evolve, Tunngle (Gameranger does work, but the other player stucks on the timeline after a while).

We started the Game with Admin rights and deactivated Firewall. We use Win. 8 too, any solutions on this ?

btw, totally forgot about this:
Solution was to install/activate DirectPlay: