• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Things get worse? Can't be that bad. Even with the HRE title I doubt the Austrians can have as many soldiers as the french did. Of course you must be out of manpower now, or at least nearly.

The Austrians have the same tech level the French didn't....

Excellent update. You're very good at depicting battles, it really feels like reading a history book ;) Also, you're not idealizing the peridod, so the cities get sacked, villages burned to the ground and the mercenaries are little more that thieves with a licence. Very good :)

Poor France :(

Still nicely done and even nicerly (a new word?) written.
Also a very impressive description of the battle!

What an excellent result againsty France!

Just how bad is your Austrian problem?

The Austrians have the same tech level the French didn't....

Oh, right, forgot that when i was writing the comment. Actually had forgotten totally. In that case yes, it might become very difficult for you.

austrianadvancecopyan8.jpg

Next – Things Get Worse
Pfft, that picture is hugely exaggerated, surely things can't be that bad, can they? :eek:

Pfft, that picture is hugely exaggerated, surely things can't be that bad, can they? :eek:

Austria is a monster.

Before you know it, Amsterdam will be sacked.

oh, and Go Netherlands! Woohoo! :D

Great Read !

I've been reading this with great interest. I tried this in EU2 with Brabant and made the mistake in the end to conquer all of France's colonies giving me no chips on the table when they invaded with 400.000 men. The greater Netherlands was duly annexed with 50 years to go in the Grand Campaign.
Still, most fun I ever had with EU :D

So, a (belated) gameplay update:

France has been defeated, hurrah! The early battles had me worried, especially after getting two sound beatings at Paris and Verdun. However, after a few months of recuperating morale I went back on the offensive, and this time tore through their armies with relative ease. I think I was getting up to 4 to 1 kill ratios against the northern armies, so I doubt the French will be doing much of anything for a while. I managed to get a small land bridge to Lorraine, something I didn't really expect to accomplish, so the war with France was a success.

Now for Austria. With the unexpected collapse of France's armies I decided to help Austria out a little - I wanted a challenge, right?

The Austrians had spent the last year slowly steamrolling through my German vassals, and by this time had conquered most of their territories. To my benefit though, at least some of my vassal's armies had escaped and were continuing to harass the enemy, which was a major help. An Austrian probe managed to take Koln and Limburg, but turned back to deal with the German raids to their rear. By the French peace they were returning with at least three major armies, all crossing the border into my territory.

Despite not fighting a single major battle (much less losing), the Austrians had accumulated about 9.0 war exhaustion simply through my blockade on their half-dozen ports. I'd only gotten 4.5 after a year of heavy fighting, so I lowered theirs to just 1.0 - the Austrians were never known for their nautical prowess and I doubt they'd notice that no ships were arriving at their harbors. I also gave them 50,000 additional manpower to rebuild some of their armies, since they had something like 40,000 men trapped in Krakow with no right-of-passage from the Polish. Finally, I figured that a big reason the French had lost badly was due to my Armee Blanche cavalry going up against the AI's Latin Knights, so I downgraded to Gallop to "even the playing field" a little.

It was a mistake to get complacent.

Middelkerke - The Dutch are scattered all over the place after blitkrieging across France, so it'll be a while until they can counterattack the Austrians. There are lots of Austrians. Lots.

Qorten - This may be the only time its ever happened in EU3, but France isn't the blue behemoth that everyone always complains about. Which is weird, because this is the first major war I've ever fought against them. I guess the Huguenots and British really did a number on them. In any case, the Austrians have a bit more manpower than the French, a bigger army, and higher Land Tech. They thankfully haven't reached the Austrian Hussars or whatever their 18th century cavalry is, but they've got Grenzers, and saw fit to build a bunch of them.

Winner - Thanks, fighting certainly wasn't pretty back then.

Enewald - If I had the troops, I would. Also, if there weren't Austrians a few dozen miles from my capital - I think they'd get to Breda or Amsterdam before I got to Wien :D

Milites - Thank you. I do feel somewhat sorry for France in my game, since they've been the punching bag of most of Europe unlike most games. They've only ever been able to control about 4/5th of "real" France, despite their best efforts. Unfortunately they wouldn't convert to a more acceptable faith and decide to team up with me, we could have taken half the world together.

Prawnstar - How bad is the Austrian problem? I feel like I'm back in EU2 with the Great White Blob...:wacko: (Probably not quite as bad as that)

balkanite - Well, at least half a victory.

asd - Well, Brandt and his generals will give it their best shot. Don't count them out quite yet.

Slinky - Yep, that's pretty much the situation in the East, complete with the lines of advance. And my nearest army is in Normandy.

EUR007 - Brandt made one campaign promise when he wasn't elected - defend the heartland. My goal right now is to defend the capital and all points west, including Amsterdam. In fact, its my current ingame Mission, so its doubly important!

Igonggr - Ugh, I can imagine. As bad as France and Austria can get in EU3, in some ways they could be even more of a headache in EU2.

I'm thinking that if you can hold them off long enough (building up their war score, if you can control theirs of course) that they will come up with a white peace offer, or at least for a erasonable cash settlement.

So your going to reorganize your army just outside the front and then attack all 3 Austrians armies 1 at a time? Hoping the Fortresses hold until then?

Sorry for having disappeared off the face of the Earth! Getting my senior design project together has left me with no time to even think of anything else. But finally the end is in sight, only six weeks to graduation, God willing. It'll still be a while until I have any time to start writing again, but in the mean time check this out:

selectedenceladusmappin.jpg
lakelandertargetscopy.jpg

metisballoonsmall.jpg

Last edited:
When will it be ready? :cool: