• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Almost a whole week without an update...it feels a lot longer too :p . Man I'm getting slow. So back to updating tomorrow (really today for me), with the next installment.

From the jungles of the Philippines to the deserts of Mexico; from the rocky shores of Africa to the white cliffs of Dover - it's the First World War. Let's see if the economic might of the Netherlands and Portugal can best the endless armies of Great Britain and Castille. As a preview, here's the worldwide theater:

EDIT - see chapter below

Military Goals:

-Seize Calais for the Dutch
-Scour Asia of Brits and Spaniards
-Ruin as much of the enemies' overseas empires as possible

Ultimate Goal:

-Humiliate the British King enough to force a new Holy Roman Emperor

Further goals as the military situation progresses.

Last edited:
Yes! It's back!

WOW!!! That is truly a world war!

I like your ultimate goal. I did the same with France in my AAR. Defeat them utterly, and the Imperial Crown will never return to their hands! :D

Vicky map?

EEEEEEEEEEK!

Make a deal with Castille; they get all of america north of mejico, you get all asian provinces from GB and castille, portugal gets south america, and the brits lose everything? :p

Great map, gives an excellent overview of the approaching war. Just one little observation, maybe irrelevant, but one I must make as the Mexican I am, from what I can see in the map, the part you own from Mexico doesn't have that much of desert, just in the far north of your possesions, aside from that, excellent update!

@ Enewald: Mexico, Mexico :p

Wow! This is going to be a tough war for the Dutch and Portuguese. I like your goals though, you're not being too greedy. Good luck!

I have a question.

How are Castille and Portugal internally?

In all of my In Nomine games so far, they are usually at negative stability and with massive inflation. With those colonial empires, one would expect them to be at least somewhat stable, but no.

So how are they in your game?

Chapter 32 – The First World War (1671-1674)

Anglo-Dutch Relations and the Calicut Incident

As the Dutch Empire rose in prominence, it was inevitable that it would come into conflict with the older European powers. Since the middle of the 16th Century, the premier superpower was unquestionably Great Britain. With the title of Holy Roman Emperor and control of the Canterbury Papacy, the British kings maintained hegemony over Catholic Europe. The Justifier states maintained their independence through good relations with the British and the unity of the League of Darmstadt. The Dutch and Swedish trading houses of the League brought wealth to the Holy Roman Empire, which helped increase the Emperor’s tax revenues.

The breakup of the League in 1618 upset the balance of power within the Empire. The loss of Sweden and Norway left the remaining Justifiers weakened, emboldening the Catholic Emperor to capitalize on the situation. In 1658 the newly crowned King George V imposed the Compensation Act on the Empire, increasing the amount of Imperial taxes paid by Justifier- and Adelerist-owned businesses. The Act was largely ignored within the United Provinces, leading to the Imperial seizure of Dutch properties in England. The Reichskammergericht refused to hear Dutch appeals, claiming that the seizures were well within the Emperor’s rights.

expulsionts5.jpg

Dutch relations with Great Britain deteriorated even further as the British Parliament adopted increasingly protectionist stances against trade with the Netherlands. Starting with the Staple Act of 1642 banning Dutch fish and seafood, Parliament went on to ban Dutch coffee, barley, fruits, salt and metal goods. The government also attempted to assert fishing rights over the contested Dogger Bank and Iceland Sea, using the British navy to threaten Dutch fishing vessels. The States-General were able to force the British Parliament to back down by threatening similar embargos on British goods, which allowed Dutch goods back into Great Britain. However, the situation remained tense, with Dutch and British warships often coming into conflict in the North Sea.

conscriptske2.jpg
commissionnl3.jpg
blockadeco1.jpg
espionageuy3.jpg

The increasingly hostile climate of the mid-17th Century forced the Dutch government to undertake a massive reform of the military. A program of national conscription was put into place, increasing the army to 76 regular regiments. A new state military academy was built in Breda to train a professional officer corps, while exceptional service in the field was rewarded by battlefield commissions. The navy was expanded to 80 ships-of-the-line, and the experiences in the shallow waterways of Asia was put to use to develop new naval fighting techniques for coastal waters. The State-General also secretly approved a new espionage bureau under Maarten Hogarth, reporting directly to the Stadtholder and authorized to conduct covert activities both at home and abroad.

calicutincidentez6.jpg

Maldivian pirates attack Dutch ships off Calicut

The turning point came with the Calicut Incident of 1669. Three merchant ships of the Ceylon-Frisia Tea Company were attacked by Maldivian pirates outside the British port of Calicut, in full view of two British frigates. Despite repeatedly signaling to the British for help the Dutch vessels were ignored, leading to the capture and enslavement of their crews. A few crewmen managed to escape in a longboat, delivering word of the attack to the Dutch embassy in Jaffa. As the Maldive Islands were British protectorates, the inaction of the British warships was seen as highly suspicious. Newsletters began circulating throughout the Netherlands, claiming that the British were using Muslim privateers to attack Dutch shipping in the Indian Ocean. The British government claimed that the frigates simply didn’t see the Dutch signals, but the excuse was widely disbelieved.

calicut2yn7.jpg

Crewmen escape Maldivian pirate attack

In retaliation for the attack, the Governor of the Dutch East Indies launched a raid on the Maldivian island of Malé. During a night attack on the island city, Dutch warships “accidentally” shelled the British consulate and East India Company offices. The Korps Mariniers gained control of the island and installed a military governor to prevent further pirate attacks. The Dutch actions infuriated King George, who demanded immediate reparations from the States-General. In response, the Seventeen Provinces unanimously voted to leave the Holy Roman Empire, throwing the European community into chaos. Seeing an opportunity to further humiliate the British Emperor, the French followed suit and renounced Imperial claims on its German territories.

leaveempireju9.jpg

As the situation quickly spiraled out of control, the Dutch and British embassies were removed from London and Breda, while both sides mobilized their militaries. Portugal and Castille began preparations to assist their allies, turning the approaching conflict into a potential world war, unparalleled in history. On the eve of war, Hogarth managed to obtain deployment plans from the British and Castillian governments, allowing Stadtholder Schouten to see the distribution of his enemies’ forces.

worldwarmap1ss9.jpg

Distribution of Forces, 1671

Great Britain

Britain – 62 regiments, 22 warships
Ireland – 14 regiments
Continent – 44 regiments
Africa – 25 regiments, 8 warships
North America – 44 regiments
South America – 23 regiments
Asia – 4 regiments

Castille

Continent – 59 regiments, 11 warships
Africa – 14 regiments
North America – 30 regiments, 8 warships
South America – 10 regiments, 4 warships
Asia – 3 regiments, 3 warships

The Netherlands

Continent – 50 regiments, 45 warships
Africa – 4 regiments, 3 warships
North America – 16 regiments, 18 warships
Asia – 6 regiments, 15 warships

Portugal

Continent – 16 regiments, 29 warships
Africa – 28 regiments, 11 warships
North America – 30 regiments, 11 warships
South America – 17 regiments, 4 warships​

Last edited:
This war promises to be interesting, although GB and Castille outnumber the Netherlands and Portugal, you'll need an excellent strategy and naval aid to defeat them.

So as you can see, GB and Castille have something like a 3 to 1 advantage in troops and manpower, but the Dutch and Portuguese have the same advantage in naval power. The current military plan is:

1) Defeat the British fleet and trap their armies in England
2) Help Portugal stabilize a defense in Iberia
3) Let my Asian minions burn down the British and Castilian colonies
4) Gain control of Africa with reinforcements from Asia
5) Continue the sweep into North and South America if necessary
6) OPERATION SEALION, Gustav Adolph style

Although everything past step 2 is probably wishful thinking.

Monnikje said:
I'm curious about the first world war :).

O, and for your Vicky map, I've made an EU3 map: Click here. I hope it can be usefull.

Thanks a lot, I was only able to find a Vicky world map in the forums, and its very annoying to use. I'll have to make a new one using yours.

Capibara said:
Great map, gives an excellent overview of the approaching war. Just one little observation, maybe irrelevant, but one I must make as the Mexican I am, from what I can see in the map, the part you own from Mexico doesn't have that much of desert, just in the far north of your possesions, aside from that, excellent update!

@ Enewald: Mexico, Mexico :p

I wasn't going to let them get into my part of Mexico, so all the fighting will be in (their) deserts :D

EUROO7 said:
I have a question.

How are Castille and Portugal internally?

In all of my In Nomine games so far, they are usually at negative stability and with massive inflation. With those colonial empires, one would expect them to be at least somewhat stable, but no.

So how are they in your game?

Portugal has managed to pull themselves out of their early troubles, and are a pretty efficient global empire. They've got a large fleet (about 2/3rds light ships), so they're actually getting their tariffs, and their inflation is holding steady at 20%.

Castille is a paper tiger though. Their inflation is well over 100%, which means that their massive military is dragging along with outdated technology. They're still very dangerous, however, because I can't let them take over all the Portuguese home territories.

Iwanow said:
It look like you want to do something very hard. I think it will be long and bloody war. it may even last untill end of the game.

It'll be a long war, but not nearly that long :p