• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Terrifying Effigies

Temperance Society President
21 Badges
Sep 17, 2005
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
A Greater Netherlands
An In Nomine Brabant/Dutch AAR

lowcountries1xk6.jpg

Updated Dec 18, 2008

Tied Best EU III History Book AAR - Q2 2008
AAR Weekly Showcase - June 10, 2008 - Thanks, asd
Glorified July 2008

Hello, and welcome to my first AAR. I’ve always enjoyed forming the Netherlands out of Gelre and Friesland, so I wanted to see how the new features and earlier start date in IN affect the process. This will be a history-book AAR, but I'll try branching out into other styles in later chapters. We’ll be following the Duchy of Brabant as it struggles to unite the Low Countries against the expansion of Burgundy and build a United Kingdom of the Netherlands. Later, the United Kingdom will make a name for itself in the world, building an overseas trading empire and promoting the Protestant (Justifier) faith.

EDIT - I'm making a minor mod to the game, removing the ability for religious rebels to defect to another nation, because I got tired of Nova Scotia defecting to Hainault and Brazil to The Knights :p

Part I: The Duchy of Lothier

Intermission

Part II: The Grand Duchy

Intermission

Part III: The United Kingdom

Intermission

Part IV: Building an Empire

Part V: A Merchant Empire

Intermission

Part VI: The Dutch Republic

Resumption - A Brief Recap

Part VII: The Dutch Directorate

Last edited:
Part I – The Duchy of Lothier

Chapter 1: A Common Cause (1400-1405)

jeanne1or0.jpg

From the start, Brabant is ruled by Jeanne, Duchess of Brabant and Limburg, an average ruler. She also holds the title of Duchess of Lothier, which used to hold authority over the whole of Lower Lorraine (Belgium, Flanders, Holland, and the lower German Rhine principalities), but is now an honorific title only.

In 1400 Jeanne was already 78 years old and nearing the end of her life, but while attending Mass at the ducal chapel in Breda she experienced a vision of a restored Lothier bringing power and prestige to Brabant. By uniting the squabbling duchies and city-states of the Low Countries, the House of Brabant could become a major player in European politics.

brabantstart1yu6.jpg

With the help of her ambassador Guillaume Albers, she began negotiations with Gelre and Friesland for a joint union, with Brabant as the major partner. In 1405 the rulers of Gelre and Friesland swore an oath of loyalty to the House of Brabant, sealing the pact. A key goal was to secure a port on the North Sea to facilitate trade, which Gelre and Friesland could provide.

The rising status of Brabant brought it to the attention of its neighbors. Hesse and Trier, two German principalities, signed military alliances with the rising power. Others, however, were viewing the rising power with suspicion. Hainault refused to become subservient to Brabant like its neighbors had. Instead, it formed its own coalition with Lorraine, Cologne and Münster and began to build up its military. Unfortunately, fate would not be kind to Hainault.

Chapter 2: The Hainault War (1406)

Hainault’s decision to ally with Lorraine would prove to be its undoing. In 1406 Duke Philip the Bold of Burgundy decided to take the duchy by force, dragging Hainault into a war it could not win. As Burgundy marched on the Hainault capital of Mons, Jeanne saw an opportunity to cement her hold on the Dutch provinces. From her deathbed she issued the order to attack Hainault.

hainaultwar1ba9.jpg

Under the combined forces of Burgundy and Brabant, Hainault fell within months. The province of Hainault went to Burgundy, while Brabant claimed Zeeland. A puppet government was installed in Holland under Brabant’s administration. Lorraine fell to Burgundy and was annexed, while the German states settled for an indecisive peace.

zeeland1mv9.jpg

Unfortunately Jeanne did not live to see her victory, as she died a month after the war began. In her place her son, Jean IV, rose to the throne. An able administrator and diplomat, he set his sights on consolidating his mother's gains.

jeanivsg2.jpg

Next - Storm clouds on the horizon

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments! Things will get quite a bit more interesting, as you can see below:

Chapter 3: Consolidation and the Gathering Storm (1406-1426)

Duke Jean quickly set about strengthening his new realm. Due to its new access to the sea, Brabant’s economy began to grow. Jean adopted a policy of Shrewd Commerce Practices to promote trade, and merchants from the duchy began to establish toeholds in Antwerpen and Mecklenburg.

gelre1gq7.jpg

holland1qr8.jpg

As he continued to centralize his control in s’ Hertogenbosch, first Gelre and later Holland were officially declared part of the royal patrimony and incorporated into Brabant. Outside of the Archbishopric of Utrecht, Jean’s dominion over the Netherlands was nearly complete. In order to protect his new holdings, he began an expansion program for the Royal Army and instituted a Royal Navy of nine ships, headed by the carrack Zenne. The title of Duke of Lothier was finally carrying some weight once again.

At the same time, a storm was gathering to the south. After the crushing defeat and annexation of Lorraine, Burgundy had conducted a ruthless campaign of expansion. The new duke, Louis I, had great ambitions for the House of Valois. Luxembourg, until recently tied to the Holy Roman Emperor and the thrones of Bohemia and Hungary, fell to his armies, as did Liege and Savoy. He forged an alliance with the Kingdom of Aragon, as well as the principalities of Baden, Münster and the Palatinate. There were whispered rumors that he would challenge King Charles VI for the throne of France, or claim the title of Holy Roman Emperor. However, first his eye fell to the Netherlands and the growing threat of Brabant.

missionhg6.jpg

Duke Jean’s claim to Lower Lorraine threatened Louis’ hold on the crucial provinces of Antwerpen and Vlaadernen. Taking Brabant would end the threat, as well as add its rich Dutch provinces to Burgundy’s wealth. Capturing the duchy would place his armies on the Rhine, able to pressure the Electors of Cologne and Trier into voting him Holy Roman Emperor in the upcoming elections. This was a prize too good to resist.

Jean was well aware of the growing menace, and tried to use his diplomatic acumen to diffuse the situation. He opened a new embassy in Brussels to help foster good relations between the two nations, and sent a new alterpiece to Louis in celebration of his marriage to Margaret of Bourbon.

embassy1vh8.jpg

However, relations continued to sour, until in 1426 the situation came to a head. Louis used his title of Duke of Lorraine to claim precedence over the territories of Lotharingia, and thus the title of Duke of Lothier. Jean, seeing the writing on the wall, began calling up regiments for the defense of Brabant. War was now inevitable.

claim1bb4.jpg

kingdombrabant1pf0.jpg

Brabant on the eve of war...

Next - The Storm Breaks...War With Burgundy!

Last edited:
War with Burgundy could pose a serious threat to the future Netherlands

Great AAR!! :)

Very interesting so far, I hope the war will bring you some fortune... How are your allies?

No, don't leave us hanging here!

Excellent start! Good luck!

This is the make or break war - spare no expense and hordes of cavalry are FTW :D (I think its good to put in some infantry as well, not sure why but just in case)