• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kanitatlan

Field Marshal
85 Badges
Mar 13, 2003
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
To follow up on my recent Russian analytical AAR, I am going straight on into a German analytical AAR. The style will be very similar but I'll start by stating a few ground rules.

Firstly, after much thought I have decided it will be a world conquest with no allies.

Version 1.06c, very hard / furious.

However

I am going to 'cheat'. In a number of areas I am going look at and maybe use techniques that some players may consider cheating. I wont be doing anything very naughty but I will at least be revealing a range of ways of exploiting the game. It is very difficult to decide exactly where the line should really be drawn so I am going over step it as it takes my fancy. You have been warned.

First instalment with massive pre-war analysis - coming soon.

Timpino said:
OOOOH, I've been waiting on this one!
Me too; go for it :D
Kanitatlan said:
Firstly, after much thought I have decided it will be a world conquest with no allies.
No allies? This will be good... well, merge Manstein and a statistician/mathematician and you have the Ultimate Commander :) I have no doubt you will pull it off.

elbasto said:
YES! another priceless piece of mathematical-howtobeatthecrapoutoftheAI analysis.

Your last Russian strategy was priceless. Good luck
Let's hope you can do it without much oil.

you got that right! :cool:

subscribes

I learned much from your Soviet AAR, so I can't wait to see this one.

I'm hoping for more info about naval domination too. Obviously you are good with the maths.

Sindai said:
I'm waiting for "A Luxembourg Nuclear Strategy" myself. ;)

Or "A Bhutanese diplomatic strategy". Take over the world by making allies of everybody else! :D

Now calm down everyone. I've carried out the first two steps of preparing for this AAR, the detailed analysis and the test game to verify the figures. Unfortunately the analysis was a bit off and the test game demonstrated it. You will have to bear with me for a few days while I work out the exact details of the strategy. Just in case any of you want to join in with the analysis, the key question is how do I keep my economy running at full tilt. This is the age old german rubber problem.

The Rubber problem can be helped by:

1. Good pre-war stockpiles
2. Acquiring other peoples stockpiles
3. Having alternative resources and adequate conversion technology
4. Control sufficient natural rubber resources

My first try was along the "optimise it by leaving out what you don't need" strategy with the unfortunate complete failure to cope with rubber exhaustion.

My current thoughts are

do (1) because thats just good house keeping
do (2) because it happens but who has rubber stockpiles? As far as I can see there aren't any mounds of rubber lying about.
do (3) because I tried it without and it didn't work - the oil and coal evaporated far too quickly. Good conversions make all the difference and will allow your oil and coal stockpiles to give you full production for a period of about 300,000 rubber.
do (4) because you must.

Once Europe is taken the rubber issues are (note that the "no allies" bit means I'm going to have much higher IC than normal).

1. There are some very useful oil resources in the middle east but these are totally inadequate for standing in for Rubber.
2. There is an assortment of Rubber resources around central Africa. The best of them is the Congo AND the Belgians will have been stockpiling it in leopoldville. Again totally inadequate and only delays the inevitable.
3. Take the far east - no alternative - the important point here is when do I need to take it? The combination of Siam, Indochina and Malaya (especially Malaya) solves the rubber crisis.

There is an interesting question that I'm going to go away and think about. If your total production in the first X years of the war is going to be limited by resources then the ministers to use may be the ones who make most efficient use of ICs rather than the ones that make more ICs.

When does Siam turn fascist? Then attacking them won't make the Allies come after you but maybe Japan? You weren't supposed to have allies anyway... Maybe you could pack a few transports of the Malayan coast, and when the war begins, just seize them. One good question is how you are going to get your convoys home from there? Usually taking London and/or Paris helps your resource problem.

Jopi said:
When does Siam turn fascist? Then attacking them won't make the Allies come after you but maybe Japan? You weren't supposed to have allies anyway... Maybe you could pack a few transports of the Malayan coast, and when the war begins, just seize them. One good question is how you are going to get your convoys home from there? Usually taking London and/or Paris helps your resource problem.
Taking Amsterdam is even easier and solves the rubber problem too, at least for a while.

It feels like you need all conversion techs you can get as fast as possible, until then you need to capture capitals regularly to keep up with your needs.

First of all: Great work with your Russian AAR and I looking forward to this here too.
Altough I myself like to approach the game like a roleplay and not this gamewise-optimized as you, I am very intrigued by your approach and the loads of good information about game mechanics.
I have a question though:
In your Russian AAR you wrote (something like that): "In Brazil I had to reset the supply sources for my armies."
I didnt even now that was possible.
How do you do that?
And by the way, keep up the splendid work.

It's a good thing you're playing on VH, so your IC is lower. And Amona, you can reset the supply base by clicking the Create New Unit button, and then transferring all the divisions there.
Now, then, you have enough rubber to produce an update? How many Ids (IC*days) is that, anyway? :cool:

Jopi said:
It's a good thing you're playing on VH, so your IC is lower. And Amona, you can reset the supply base by clicking the Create New Unit button, and then transferring all the divisions there.
Now, then, you have enough rubber to produce an update? How many Ids (IC*days) is that, anyway? :cool:
Thanks for the info, Jopi :)