• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

sleepy lemon

Recruit
41 Badges
Apr 4, 2018
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
Why does it take so long for new HOI4 updates+dlc to come out, but for EU4 we (used to, when it was in it's prime) expect a dlc/update every few months. For example, during the 1yr+ time it took for Man the Guns to release, EU4 had 2 immersion packs and 1 expansion pack, along with the accompanying update.

My guess is that HOI4 just has a longer time for historical research for making focuses, decisions etc., cos EU4 isn't as precise in that sense.

IMHO, the NF system in HOI4 has created a spiders web that gets ever more complex with each new version...and that's just the content side. The development of the AI hasn't been able to keep up with the new naval mechanics in MtG. The battle planner is still a mess, with divisions shuffling every which way, but this didn't prevent them from adding field marshals. I'm not saying new foci, naval mechanics and chain of command were bad concepts to introduce...but damn, fix the foundation of your house before adding rooms.

I imagine all of this "development debt" is dragging down the productivity. I really hope, after they update SOV and ITA, that they will go back and "unify" all the trees, decisions, events, mechanics and AI to work better together.

That said, HOI4 is more annoying to play than unplayable. Some tweaks to the custom rules, a few console commands and tag switches can really improve the fun factor of a campaign.

Last edited:
EUIV is "cleaner" in its design and, frankly, much less detailed/complicated.

Different team sizes, different code bases and content focuses and design. Alot of factors that are hard to quantify without privileged information.

In my opinion it's because every big update to HOI has made sweeping mechanical changes. The EU4 updates recently (to put it charitably) haven't. That looks set to change with the next EU4 one though - and this one has more of a HOI esk dev cycle lenth.