• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great thanks for the replies all! Im already uploading loads of screens about the gameplay. With some luck I can start writing this evening. So it is settled, the AAR will be an England AAR. Once the first post is made I will make a link in this thread :).

I will contact Naggy and A_Dane when the time is right :).

It has begun!

[edit] Crap I created too many threads! The servers were unreachable for a small period in which I tried to post them. The mods of that section have been notified of this error. Damn, first AAR and immediately a stupid and avoidable error.

Last edited:
I'm a newbie, and went for Venice with my first game, normal difficulty... As long as you can survive early wars, you can end up with masses of cash to do with as you will... I'm playing my second game as The Hansa now (I know, very similar kind of nation), and it's going _very_ well (1470 or so, have about 10 core home, 4 non core, have taken tangiers and a few around it, one of which was a diplo core, so have colonised west Africa, and will soon colonise south america).

Neither of these nations involve any kind of RM mechanics - it's mainly just picking your fight... My next game will be a RM enabled country from the start.

I had actually started one of these before my HD let me down... It's nice to see someone has buckled down and got it going... :cool: And it's definitely a good thing to see someone take Yoshi's newbie sig line to the next level.

I'm kindof sad (no, I am sad...) I missed the country decision though. England is OK to play, but alot of the games intricate mechanics will be outside on the fringes if ever explored at all simply because England is isolated as she is.

My first games were with Burgundy and Austria, then Castille. I never played France, ever... (well OK, once in Nappy. But that one doesn't count...)

Dealing with the pressure of enemies, diplomacy, the HRE... Heck even the Ottomans make for much more compelling stuff than "this is your budget slider..." It would have been nice to see a little grace under pressure (or alot depending...) instead of a leisurely stroll through the colonies.

Just my two ducats, 1/2 a ducat after taxes...

And yeah, better late than never isn't always applicable...:p

T

I had actually started one of these before my HD let me down... It's nice to see someone has buckled down and got it going... :cool: And it's definitely a good thing to see someone take Yoshi's newbie sig line to the next level.

I'm kindof sad (no, I am sad...) I missed the country decision though. England is OK to play, but alot of the games intricate mechanics will be outside on the fringes if ever explored at all simply because England is isolated as she is.

My first games were with Burgundy and Austria, then Castille. I never played France, ever... (well OK, once in Nappy. But that one doesn't count...)

Dealing with the pressure of enemies, diplomacy, the HRE... Heck even the Ottomans make for much more compelling stuff than "this is your budget slider..." It would have been nice to see a little grace under pressure (or alot depending...) instead of a leisurely stroll through the colonies.

Just my two ducats, 1/2 a ducat after taxes...

And yeah, better late than never isn't always applicable...:p

T

Thanks for your two ducats. Ive heard similar objections against the choice of England. However to cope with them we've decided to split the AAR in two after some peaceful years. Dont worry, it will be exciting enough! :)

If you stick on to your mainland provinces, England will become very continental and in the middle of intrigue from the start, since French and Burgundy have their guns ready for you.

Absolutely! And thats why Im not planning on keeping those lands in the beginning. It will be a drain on any newcomer to defend against France/Burgundy. So in stead, the second part of the AAR will be more war like where the goal is to create a continental Europe.

You make Jesus cry. :(

(Well, okay, I don't actually know about the dude's thoughts on this ... but still, that's bad!)

Nah you make Jesus happy when you dont play with France :p. And about the latter, what do you mean?

France is perhaps the most boring country to play in the entire game. (ottos coming in close second.) I've tried it once, and abadoned it after less than 50 years as i had pretty much destroyed any opposition...

Now, while i agree England isn't ideal for explaining some of the more complex game mechanics, i think Rhadok made it quite clear, that it's not his idea with it. He makes it to explain the more basic parts of the game, with a nation that makes it easy to replicate for a newbie. Games as Castille/Burgundy/other continental powers turns out rather differently from 1 game to another. (Atleast in my experience). He also mentioned that EU3 pretty much a "learn as you go" kind of game (Which i agree with). Also, going in too much detail will turn people away from it/many will probably not read the whole thing anyway, as they just wanna get started :p

France is perhaps the most boring country to play in the entire game.

An African or New World Pagan is the most boring country until you see Europeans.

with emphasis on until. They become fun once the europeans appear. France and Ottomans stay boring, as there's basically no one to threaten you.

"Great, discussion in heating up! I do take note of the objections with a England tutorial AAR but I believe those can be circumcised by proposing the following..."

Does the Pope approve of Judaising? :rolleyes:

There's nothing more fun than crushing France or the Otts...

They just...

Deserve it.

Not the real places of course, just the game's versions.
France was so overpowered until HT³...
And the Otts always fought like fanatics. At least they were fun...

I've done alot of things that made Jesus cry...
Not playing Le Big Blue Blob didn't even make the list, there wasn't room.

I like the idea of the split AAR, and far be it from me to spread any anti-England sentiment.
If I really wanted it to be another country...
I suppose fixing my computer sooner and doing an AAR would have been the thing to do...
Instead of waiting and procrastinating (and saving the money... :p)

As it is, I'm actually kind of curious how you pull it off with the split.
I sincerely hope for the best of games, and an even better AAR...!
I do apologize if I gave the wrong impression...
I'm just a simple warmonger at heart. All those boats make me queasy...

Though I really really really want to see England on the mainland owning many French possessions...
Perhaps even a visit to the Otts just for homage to their IN tenacity...?

As for what I think Mr GregElSho...
I have no thoughts for the In Game BBB, save to crush them.
The real French? They're fine with me. We're all somebody somewhere... ;)
Hopefully this provides an answer to your query...?

T

Castille and Aragon are a little more fun at the beginning, but it is far too easy to take over Italy, which means the fun lasts for about 80 years at the MOST. Then it's just a matter of zooming up the tech tree and killing everyone around you.

At least France has England, Iberia, Bohemia, and, worst of all, BURGUNDY to fight. Castille is the richest nation in the world, and can become the strongest without the smallest of dents to its economy, while Aragon just has Big Brother to worry about... for three seconds.

Well, I don't know you sufficiently enough to refer to you as "the dude". :eek:o
(Actually I was refering to Jesus, as I'm much more confident with fictionnal characters, as it's hard to hurt their feelings.
And it wasn't a query at all, since no one could possibly answer that. I was just stating something like "okay, maybe saying that you make Jesus cry is a bit much, but still" ...)

So.
BBB isn't overpowered anymore. And it was fo a good reason : France owned them all at the time. :cool:
(Then the spaniards discovered riches over the ocean, then the brits got even better at shipbuilding and stealing colonies, then the dutch became first-class merchants ... and we were left out without a thing until Napoléon came by. :()

Anyway, now that the game's been balanced, playing France is more fun than Burgundy. ;)

(By the way, I'm half-roleplaying those posts!)

"Great, discussion in heating up! I do take note of the objections with a England tutorial AAR but I believe those can be circumcised by proposing the following..."

Does the Pope approve of Judaising? :rolleyes:

Haha, sorry. I meant circumvented. :D

There's nothing more fun than crushing France or the Otts...

They just...

Deserve it.

Not the real places of course, just the game's versions.
France was so overpowered until HT³...
And the Otts always fought like fanatics. At least they were fun...

I've done alot of things that made Jesus cry...
Not playing Le Big Blue Blob didn't even make the list, there wasn't room.

I like the idea of the split AAR, and far be it from me to spread any anti-England sentiment.
If I really wanted it to be another country...
I suppose fixing my computer sooner and doing an AAR would have been the thing to do...
Instead of waiting and procrastinating (and saving the money... :p)

As it is, I'm actually kind of curious how you pull it off with the split.
I sincerely hope for the best of games, and an even better AAR...!
I do apologize if I gave the wrong impression...
I'm just a simple warmonger at heart. All those boats make me queasy...

Though I really really really want to see England on the mainland owning many French possessions...
Perhaps even a visit to the Otts just for homage to their IN tenacity...?

I have no thoughts for the In Game BBB, save to crush them.
The real French? They're fine with me. We're all somebody somewhere... ;)
Hopefully this provides an answer to your query...?

T

Your support is much appreciated. There is nothing wrong with being a warmonger, but the whole idea is to set the game up. I believe England is a fantastic choice as it can go both ways, exactly what we want to do. Quality control is strict on this one, so I do hope that the AARs will be great :).

Please, stop with the [....] all the time. It makes your post very sad...:(.

Yes, i understand that and agree absolutely for the reason of this tutorial. I wasn't arguing for keeping the provinces, i was pointing out Englands flexibility of becoming isolationist to the other poster, that it isn't written in stone.

Ah then I misunderstood.

Please, stop with the [....] all the time. It makes your post very sad... :( .

Sorry there Mssr Rhadok... I use it as a pause...

When writing, it's hard to convey that hesitation before saying something to the reader...
That sense of rhythm and timing in a normal conversation that a comma is just too short for.
Sadly, as with most things... I overcompensate. :p

I never thought it made my posts look sad though...
I always thought it was more a case of making me look like I had palsy or something...

I just can't seem to stop pushing that danged "." key... :rofl:

T

( Not to mention how worn it is from the "over" use... )