• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have been doing some thinking about keeping France weaker. Loosely my idea is to try and drag them into another war with Burgundy when this truce expires,
That is a very good idea. But make sure to check when France's truce with Burgundy expires. If theirs expires after yours, they will not join you. If you then wait, and are not careful, they may call you in against Burgundy first when their truce runs out.

EDIT: Obviously my post is late since you already went to war. Excellent progress and well managed war.
I would go for 3b (get Holland and Breda). I still think you want to control Holland as early as possible, in case Burgundian inheritance fires ( then Austria or Castile get it and it is so much harder to take it from them ) . And keep a buffer with France as long as possible.

If you can finagle LeCaux to England and still get Holland and Breda, go for it. This may distract France into an English war before they turn on you.

Last edited:
Of the available options, my personal preference would probably be for 3b, mainly because it should open up opportunities to the north should you want to eventually consolidate all the Low Countries (as well as for the other reasons you've listed).

I definitely would go for 3b, nothing more or less to say about. Do you get Holland as your own PU then or do you get it as a vassal? I don't have MoH so I don't know how these age objectives work, but they sound interesting.

That is a very good idea. But make sure to check when France's truce with Burgundy expires. If theirs expires after yours, they will not join you. If you then wait, and are not careful, they may call you in against Burgundy first when their truce runs out.

EDIT: Obviously my post is late since you already went to war. Excellent progress and well managed war.
I would go for 3b (get Holland and Breda). I still think you want to control Holland as early as possible, in case Burgundian inheritance fires ( then Austria or Castile get it and it is so much harder to take it from them ) . And keep a buffer with France as long as possible.

If you can finagle LeCaux to England and still get Holland and Breda, go for it. This may distract France into an English war before they turn on you.
Well England still own Cotentin and Maine - so the French will certainly be ready to go for them still before me.

Of the available options, my personal preference would probably be for 3b, mainly because it should open up opportunities to the north should you want to eventually consolidate all the Low Countries (as well as for the other reasons you've listed).

I definitely would go for 3b, nothing more or less to say about. Do you get Holland as your own PU then or do you get it as a vassal? I don't have MoH so I don't know how these age objectives work, but they sound interesting.

3b is definitely the preferred option all around, and so shall I choose. I don't actually know if I will get it as a PU or regular vassal. Will report back once I am done.

My thinking has evolved a bit regarding France as well. The French mission tree as it is already gives France claims to Flanders and Wallonia, so I cannot avoid French claims on me. Therefore taking the other Walloon-culture provinces can only make my situation better. That will be the next war. After that it will be a case of trying to find other ways of weaking France. I think I will try to keep the alliance up until after the next war with Burgundy at least, but then I will likely swap to ally England.

I think I might revert to my original idea though for getting Diplomatic for my second Idea group, to better be able to gather allies to contain France. Well, I will most likely make that decision soon.

Played some more. I will have another peace treaty question when I write this up. Let us just say something happened I had not thought about, but realistically I should have foreseen.

1476-1482
So I make my peace with Burgundy, as outlined. I take Breda, have Holland as a (regular) vassal, and humiliate.

XVRulAu.jpg

This does put me over the relation limit, but I decide to drop Provence as an ally and ditch my Royal Marriage with them in the near future. France also shows wanting to break my alliance has my Trust is now only 30 - but it ticks up to 31 before they do so and the alliance is safe, for now. I also come out of the war with 480 gold, which I use to build up to my new force limit and add some extra Workshops and Churches. I have a healthy balance, so I also build three more barques. This takes me up to my naval force limit too. In August England attacks Burgundy, also using the Excommunication casus Belli. This is the unanticipated event that dominates the next few years, but at the time I was quite relaxed. If the war was successful I imagined I could switch my alliance from France to England quite easily.

NYs4ru5.jpg

As an aside, I also saw this wonderful peace treaty where Odoyev took a bunch of land from the Great Horde. Go Odoyev!

sKdLd8F.jpg

I complete the mission for Trustworthy allies, thinking a higher Diplomatic Reputation might aid managing the impact of any future expansion. A 25 year bonus could conceivably cover several wars.

Xl00dib.jpg

In March 1477 I finally drop the alliance with Provence. Provence has Lorraine as a vassal, and two nations now support Lorraine’s independence. This is not a fight I want to be involved in. I also need to create a second parliamentary seat, and I choose Namen (Namur). News arrives that Sweden has lots its independence war with Denmark. In 1478 I end up unlocking Military 7, and I replace one infantry with a cannon. Also Aragon loses the Castilian Succession war. Castille is now in a Personal Union under Hungary, but is also restored to its original borders. I am curious as to how that will play out.

rHjZ578.jpg

I also realise I need to give another province to the Clergy, and choose Loon, on the logic it used to be owned by the Bishopric of Liége. Burgundy also diploannexes Nevers, though their war with England goes poorly. By the way I had an event whereby I choose to give the Burghers some money, which forced me to take a small loan. My monthly income though is between +8.5 and +10.5, and I repay it quickly enough. I drop my Royal Marriage with Provence and return my stability to +1. In retrospect I should have done that earlier.

1479 rolls around and I research both Administrative and Diplomatic 7. This unlocks the next Idea group, but as I don’t yet have enough DIP monarch power I hold off on the decision of which group to choose. Incidentally with the addition of Breda (now cored) I now have a Dutch Culture province, but it doesn’t have enough development for me to make an Accepted Culture. Either I will have to develop it, or wait until I acquire another Dutch province.

Nothing happens for the rest of the year, but in January 1480 England make peace with Burgundy, gaining Picardie, Artois, and Cambrésis; and forcing Burgundy to release Nevers. They follow this up by a month later declaring me a rival.

Mly8znk.jpg

Great. So long for my plan to switch from a French to an English alliance. And it will surely not be long before France takes one look at this English land on the Continent and attack, so I should do it for them to control the war. I still have an open rival slot, so I rival England and then get ready to declare war using my claim on Artois. One thing I notice when I rival England is that England apparently has no army.

Iqfc4B6.jpg

I can bring France in with just favours, which is excellent. The Papal States join in England, and actually have an army in the middle of France at war start. Well they begin making a nuisance of themselves, whilst I take Artois and Cambrésis, and then start sieging Picardie. I then concentrate my forces as the Papal army seeks to relieve the siege. This is a close-run thing as my morale hasn’t fully recovered from drilling, but a French stacks reinforces me and we pull off the victory.

CZkA7W8.jpg

I then get a small siege force on Calais before the French manage to do so, and proceed to siege down both forts whilst Holland and France end up chasing the Papal stack to eventual oblivion. Along the way we learn our Heir is going to be Kind-Hearted.

8IQcWgb.jpg

For a new debate I select Conducting a nationwide census, which would give me 1 Base Manpower in Lutzenbergh, and +5% national manpower for 10 years. Seems good to me. I have made poor use of my diplomats during this time. I should have had both working on Outraged countries to reduce the effects of AE, but either I had one generally free or used one boosting Holland, which wasn’t really necessary at this time. We finally take Picardie in February 1481. France has Maine and Cotentin, is well on its way to taking Avignon, and now also has an army in The Papal States.

WJlxNKu.jpg

Calais falls a few months later, and I notice that the English are about to make an invasion of Holland. I manage to march my army up there to be in place before they land. The result is pleasingly definitive.

SzCFKXn.jpg

I have been starting to play around with potential peace deals, and realise I need to be careful to avoid a coalition. So I decide to bite the bullet and choose the Diplomatic Idea Group as I can now do the first idea to get an extra Diplomat. I also get Dynamic Court, the fourth Innovative idea which gives me an extra advisor to choose from.

yy1jCwj.jpg

We move into 1482 and the English try to land another, slightly large army in Zeeland. I wait until movement is locked and move my own army to defend. A slightly tougher fight, but victory is assured. The English aren’t wiped on the first battle, but I follow them as they flee to Antwerpen and wipe them there instead.

aDY1LOd.jpg

I am starting to get the feeling of what a peace might look like. Artois and Cambray (Cambrésis) are the two provinces on which I have claims. As I called France in with favours I don’t have to grant them anything at all. The potential coalition is quite a bit smaller now as well. The thing is … I am not sure if I want to make England weak or not. Or rather, I don’t want to overly strengthen France. Rome falls to France, giving me a +67% warscore to play with, and Scotland has attacked England. I also can’t demand anymore than those two provinces because the potential coalition becomes unmanageable.

vQ3OvM7.jpg

The below screenshot shows the difference between taking Artois and Cambrésis versus taking Calais as well as those two. The dynamic remains very similar no matter which two of the three of take.

K5KywGr.jpg

So with that I am thinking of something like the following:

1) Take no gold. A lot of any gold I take will go to France, and France doesn’t need more gold. Truthfully neither do I, and in this I would rather France is not enriched.
2) Release some minor vassals. This is mostly to get a bit of extra prestige and also to extend the truce timer a little. There are lots of minors in Ireland that can go for minimal diplomatic cost.
3) War reparations - will benefit me and not France.
4) Take 2 provinces. The real question is which.

Artois + Cambrésis - These are the two I have claims to. It leaves England three contiguous provinces here (Le Caux, Picardie, and Calais) and guarantees in any future war I should be able to take Calais before the French. Also means England has no claims on me, as they haven’t cored these two provinces yet. Also means France won’t have a claim on me yet.

Calais + Artois - Marginally smaller AE of the two combinations. Means I won’t have to retake the Calais fort again. But it will mean England has a core on me, and France has a claim (they have a claim on Calais).

So any advice on this peace?

We move into 1482 and the English try to land another, slightly large army in Zeeland. I wait until movement is locked and move my own army to defend.
Apparently from what I have noticed is that once they start landing, they will do so regardless of there being a stack or not, even if they're still not landlocked. They are also too stupid to realise that even if they're landlocked they can simply move the fleet and the movement will be cancelled, but luckily a player is smart enough for that.

As for the peace deal, I'm not sure. They will get claims on the land if they want anyway, so I wouldn't really look at that. As long as relations with France are high enough they can have claims all over the please.

Apparently from what I have noticed is that once they start landing, they will do so regardless of there being a stack or not, even if they're still not landlocked. They are also too stupid to realise that even if they're landlocked they can simply move the fleet and the movement will be cancelled, but luckily a player is smart enough for that.

As for the peace deal, I'm not sure. They will get claims on the land if they want anyway, so I wouldn't really look at that. As long as relations with France are high enough they can have claims all over the please.
That is a good point about the claims ... I suppose I am going to have to bite that bullet sooner or later anyways.

The Hibernophile in me is naturally going to vote for any option that breaks English power over the Emerald Isle ;)
Well don't expect it to be more than temporary, but anything to slow them down.

Castille is now in a Personal Union under Hungary, but is also restored to its original borders. I am curious as to how that will play out.
I think long term this is not good for you. It weakens both of France's natural enemies ( Castile to the South, and Austria to the East). Time will tell.

And it will surely not be long before France takes one look at this English land on the Continent and attack, so I should do it for them to control the war.
Good move.
I still have an open rival slot, so I rival England and then get ready to declare war using my claim on Artois.
Great move ;).
One thing I notice when I rival England is that England apparently has no army.
DO you get notices for bankruptcy of other nations? I am wondering if that is what did it. Others can chime in, but the only times I see countries with zero troops is when they are in severe debt.

So any advice on this peace?

Even the "small" coalition is a bit scary. They may declare on you the moment France refuses to help you (example, if France gets in a war with Aragon or Provence and friends) .Sit on the war a bit longer so Switzerland does not join it, and improve relations with Oldenburg and Munster so they would also stay out.

I personally would not waste DIP points on releasing Irish minors. Especially if you are trying to fill a DIP idea group.

I would vote for Calais, if only for the ability to fabricate claims on Caux and Cotentin.

I think long term this is not good for you. It weakens both of France's natural enemies ( Castile to the South, and Austria to the East). Time will tell.
That is my sense as well, but aside from how it impacts my game I must admit to just being curious.

Good move.

Great move ;).
Thanks. I do try to learn from all my reading. Sometimes it even works!

DO you get notices for bankruptcy of other nations? I am wondering if that is what did it. Others can chime in, but the only times I see countries with zero troops is when they are in severe debt.
I have bankruptcies set to appear as a message rather than a pop-up, but I certainly didn't notice anything like that. My one guess - and it very much is a guess - is that England's army got stackwiped by Burgundy in their war before Papal States rode to their rescue, and this happened in the wee interval before they build more troops. Perhaps the AI forgot to do so or something.

Even the "small" coalition is a bit scary. They may declare on you the moment France refuses to help you (example, if France gets in a war with Aragon or Provence and friends) .Sit on the war a bit longer so Switzerland does not join it, and improve relations with Oldenburg and Munster so they would also stay out.

I personally would not waste DIP points on releasing Irish minors. Especially if you are trying to fill a DIP idea group.

I would vote for Calais, if only for the ability to fabricate claims on Caux and Cotentin.
Well, this is looking forward a bit into what I have now played, but my concern about waiting would be that France would go for a separate peace. I don't really care about Caux and Cotentin though as they are not Low Countries or Walloon. I will say though this game is giving me a desire to play Burgundy at some point with the express desire of doing in France.

Stnylan,

Just starting out on this one. I've often found I'm really lost in your others, having caught on well into the story and unable to catch up. Hoping I can keep up with this one.

Very sorry to hear of your turmoil of late. Hoping and praying that things will improve, or be manageable, or whatever you need.

I've tripped somewhat through your Stellaris and EU stories about Lisan, but only have a big-picture view of the whole idea. Looking forward to seeing more and picking up on what's going on.

I was excited to see you start a Victoria AAR as Belgium, and.... Wait a second. This is EU IV. <looks quickly back at the screenshot> Aha! Okay. Bearings gotten. And a random world, you say? Very interesting material from which to progress.

I'm still on the first page but hoping to catch up to where you are soon, as it's been less than a week since you started this.

Renss

Stnylan,

Just starting out on this one. I've often found I'm really lost in your others, having caught on well into the story and unable to catch up. Hoping I can keep up with this one.

Very sorry to hear of your turmoil of late. Hoping and praying that things will improve, or be manageable, or whatever you need.

I've tripped somewhat through your Stellaris and EU stories about Lisan, but only have a big-picture view of the whole idea. Looking forward to seeing more and picking up on what's going on.

I was excited to see you start a Victoria AAR as Belgium, and.... Wait a second. This is EU IV. <looks quickly back at the screenshot> Aha! Okay. Bearings gotten. And a random world, you say? Very interesting material from which to progress.

I'm still on the first page but hoping to catch up to where you are soon, as it's been less than a week since you started this.

Renss
Not too far to go, and very gameplay orientated.

One thinks about being peaceful and weather the wrath of the coalition until it breaks and in the meantime hindering France at getting those wallonian lands and then just grab it for Belgium because it was is and will ever be rightful part of Belgium.
France has been interestingly weak thus far. It is most gratifying.

1482-1494
I played these next few years through last night, before I had a chance to read most of your kind comments. As I said in my note to @mackwolfe I didn’t want to prolong the war for fear that France would peace out. Not only would that rather lower the warscore, it might mean they get provinces I hope they don’t - for a while longer at least. And I want to extend out the truce as well. By playing around a bit with which Irish minors to release I make the absolute best use of the warscore I can. As for provinces I go for Calais and Artois.

I have built up some cash during the war, so I splurge out on some buildings. Meanwhile the Pope (as Papal Controller) Excommunicates Provence. I am interested in what happens there, but have no intentions of otherwise getting involved. Parliament passes Nationwide census boosting Lutzenburgh by 1 manpower. Frederick III of Austria dies and is succeeded by Ladislaus Postumus, who is duly elected Emperor. I spend 50 Papal influence to boost my Diplomatic Reputation by 1, and unlock my next Age ability. I choose Adaptive Combat Tactics. We are now over a year since the peace and no coalition formed.

rhFOgY3.jpg

Into 1484. My general gets a fire pip from training, making him 5/2/2/1, and I unlock the Resilient State Idea from the Innovative Group. Not that useful in and of itself right now, but it does fire my second National Idea. England makes peace with Scotland, acquiring Lothian and Aberdeen. They have some rebels in the south-east, but I can’t imagine will have much trouble clearing those up now.

IkL4f1e.jpg

At this point I make a mistake. I had intended to transfer my National Focus from Admin to Diplomatic, but what I do instead is set myself to have no focus. Hardly the worst mistake to make, but annoying. The next month our monarch, Elisabeth, dies. She is succeeded by Willem of Brussels, who is 4/5/3, and is just 18. Long may he reign. Then from the East I hear news that Odoyev is at it again. They are not even a subject of Muscovy.

rYkGOSh.jpg

I don’t have to wait long for a new heir, as a Gwijde pops up later in the year. A bit more average, but certainly not a disaster.

ha8T2yJ.jpg

1484 is a busy year, however, because I am then France attacks Aragon for The Balearic Islands, and calls me in. I choose to accept - regarding this as an opportunity to gain some Favours.

UnZwTzB.jpg

However I intend for my involvement to be as little as possible. A Monopoly company forms, and I go for a long-term investment, and at the end of the year I turn Picardy into a State. This means the Clergy need another province, and after some thought I give them Calais. This also means I can now take a Naval Doctrine, and as @mackwolfe recommended I go for Merchant Navy.

My involvement in the war is essentially zero at this time. I get the second Diplomatic Idea - Cabinet (+1 Diplomatic Relation) and go looking for a vassal to complete the Subjects generic mission. That mission gives a reduction to diplo-annexation cost of -15%, and whilst Holland might be small there is quite a bit of development there. No harm in making it a bit easier.

The war isn’t going too well for France. It doesn’t help they are outmatched in naval matters, so the wargoal is actually beyond them, but Aragon has captured a fort and is being very effective at avoiding battles it will lose. I, however, have my next target - Nevers. Nevers of course has Rethélois - one of only two remaining Walloon provinces I do not own. Currently they are only allied to Meath and Milan. I would hope I can occupy both Nivernais provinces, and then through ticking warscore get enough to take the province and vassalise the remainder.

u3dprqV.jpg

Taking Rethélois isn’t a problem. I stackwipe the Nivernais army, and besiege their capital. As we move into January 1487 I hire my first +2 advisor in Admin. I also witness the first major defeat of the Aragonese army, as it is finally trapped with range of several French and allied stacks who all “march to the sound of guns” as it were. In the summer I actually decide to help out in a more directed fashion, but sending a few soldiers to start sieging another fort that had been taking by Aragon. It isn’t much, but it is something.

YUotWbp.jpg

August sees me finish off the siege of Nivernais, and as my desired peace is a bit much just now it is a matter of hunkering down and waiting. My army is now in two stacks, so I hire a second general, who is 4/1/1/1. Not too shabby. There are a number of battles across southern France I don’t get involved in, but despite victories and reclaiming territory (including the fort I retook) the warscore remains resolutely negative. I then march my army to Savoie. At this rate I am fully expecting France to White Peace at some point in what seems to be a failed venture.

faurbT2.jpg

In 1489 I research Military 8 reasonably ahead of time, but I definitely want to stay ahead of the curve. The fighting continues in southern France, as Aragon accepts a White Peace from Provence. You know, if this had been a straight fight between France and Aragon I am fairly sure France would have lost. Savoie falls to myself, and the warscore almost threatens to go positive. In my private war with Nevers I am the peace is 7 points more than they are yet willing to consider, but plenty of time to wait yet. Savoy now folds to France for reparations and money, but this has the effect of immediately plunging the warscore negative again. The AI doesn’t always seem to realise when a separate peace is actually a bad idea.

The consequence of that follows swiftly, Aragon gets peace with France, forcing the French to give them war reparations. Now I can’t actually say I am unhappy here - a weaker France is a weaker France, after all. But it was a very badly fought war by France. I am not quite sure what is going on.

8rT2a8l.jpg

We move into 1490, and it I am suddenly alerted to a small Mantuan force has finally to come to play and is trying to retake Nivernais. Trapping it is an easy matter, and it is wiped, in the process giving my general the “Inspirational Leader” trait. Nice. It also gives me the warscore I desire to impose the peace I want.

9mvyCP1.jpg

I have two plans for Nevers as a vassal. The first I do immediately - by completing the Acquire Subjects mission (I also trigger the Build Buildings mission). The second will be for the future - I will force them to convert for the Age of Reformation Objective (after which I may just let them go).

g05ut6L.jpg

This causes me to eclipse Burgundy as a rival. To the north of me Gelre acquires Utrecht as spoils of a war. I also get the Byzantine refugees event, which gives me a nice -10% Technology bonus for the next thirty years. No complaints about that. I am getting ready however to Annex Holland, which I begin in February 1491.

3z2pglE.jpg

I also choose to unlock Optimism (Innovative 6) and War Cabinet (Diplomatic 3) and thereby get my third National Idea which gives +5% to Discipline. Gelre calls me into a war against Friesland. I honour the call, and stackwipe two smaller armies. My involvement is pretty limited however. A little later in the year France attacks Burgundy.

There isn’t really anything I could have done about this. I didn’t have enough favours to call France into my own war. I suppose I will have to be content I have helped stall France as long as I have. I am not called in at the moment. Then in August 1491 the Reformation fires, the earliest I think I have seen it do so.

2vQJtRS.jpg

The turning of the year sees Gelre make a modest peace, through which I have earned a reasonable number of favours.

znFcJcn.jpg

I am pretty soon called into France’s war with Burgundy and allies. My own involvement is mostly limited to besieging Trier, who France duly forces from the war. The French do struggle though - losing Paris for a spell before numbers finally tell. At the of 1492 the Emperor passes the second Reform. Then in the spring of 1493 France takes a big bite out of Burgundy.

Z50fDVF.jpg

I spend ten of those Favours to boost France’s Trust of me back up to 40, but now have enough in hand to ask France to attack England. I will need to do that soon, but I admit to being a bit cautious. The Reformation has fired. I want a Centre of Reformation, so I need to convert soon, presumably. I also want to wait until Holland has finished integrating, which will be in February 1494.

Meanwhile I unlock my third Age ability, and choose Feudal De Jure law for -5 national unrest. I am thinking if I convert soon that may be useful whilst I convert my provinces. Nothing much happens until the annexation is complete. I accept Dutch culture, and save the game.

22i5wMN.jpg

I will need to tidy up the armies and navies a bit - I am now over force limit, but otherwise now I feel I have reached the real cross-roads of the game.

So I have done some further research on the differences between Protestant and Reformed, and I feel that Protestant is where I want to jump. So far so good. As of yet no other country has converted, but that will surely only be a matter of time. If I have understood matters correctly only the first couple of nations get a Centre of Reformation, so if I want to get one I need to act soon.

The wiki says converting will give me a -100 prestige penalty. My current prestige is 70, so that would end up as -30. Not brilliant, but not so bad. My thought is perhaps following this up immediately with a war with England. I have built up my cash to allow a certain amount of disruption.

I mean does that seem like a reasonable plan? Am I missing anything about conversion?

nsus boosting Lutzenburgh by 1
What is your main culture actually? Because that name for Luxembourg is neither Flemish/Dutch nor French, it sounds a bit German but that's weird unless you don't have automatic renaming on.

ut what I do instead is set myself to have no focus.
What, you can actually do that, how :eek:? I always thought once you set it you always had to choose one of the three.

only the first couple of nations get a Centre of Reformation, so if I want to get one I need to act soon.

The wiki says converting will give me a -100 prestige penalty. My current prestige is 70, so that would end up as -30. Not brilliant, but not so bad. My thought is perhaps following this up immediately with a war with England. I have built up my cash to allow a certain amount of disruption.

I mean does that seem like a reasonable plan? Am I missing anything about conversion?
There can only be 3 CoR for Protestantism and Reformed, so as you already have one now you need to be sure you get one before other nations convert. Honestly, I think you should convert immediately to ensure that CoR and immediately after declare on England while dragging France in it with you.

What is your main culture actually? Because that name for Luxembourg is neither Flemish/Dutch nor French, it sounds a bit German but that's weird unless you don't have automatic renaming on.
My primary is Flemish, with now both Walloon and Dutch Accepted. I have dynamic names on ... so my *guess* is that because Flemish is in the Germanic culture group it gets a Germanic name variant if there is not a specific Flemish one for it.

What, you can actually do that, how :eek:? I always thought once you set it you always had to choose one of the three.
To the best of my knowledge you have always been able to do that - what you do is click on the Power group you are already boosting and it resets it back to No Focus.

There can only be 3 CoR for Protestantism and Reformed, so as you already have one now you need to be sure you get one before other nations convert. Honestly, I think you should convert immediately to ensure that CoR and immediately after declare on England while dragging France in it with you.
That is certainly what I am leaning towards. But as I have said I have never converted in any EU game in my .... (checks date) .... sixteen years almost of playing these games. So this is all a big adventure.

1494-1502
Personal Note

I first picked up EU2 almost exactly sixteen years ago (first week of July 2002). I poured hundreds of hours into EU2, probably even a four figure sum. I even once started an EU2 AAR with the sole intention of turning Protestant, but left the work unfinished. Whilst events in my personal life ended up ensuring I played EU3 less than the preceding or succeeding game, I still did my time, and still avoided the Reformation. This has continued in EU4. I “only” stand at 579 hours according to Steam, as of writing. As an aside, I don’t really recommend trying to explain to most folk how 500+ hours in a single game isn’t that big a sign of commitment. Anyway, in all of those 575+ hours I had never, once, converted to a Protestant faith. I can’t quite say I have never converted, because in EU2 Catholics nations used to be able to “convert” to the Counter-Reformation Catholicism, but it is a mechanic I am glad they abandoned. Outside of that I don’t think I have converted. Last night was thus a significant first.

Now back onto the AAR.

AAR

The time has come. But first I have something else to do - I research Admin Tech 8, and then I click on the convert button, and then pass the Act of Uniformity and Dissolve the Monasteries.

Gfs2E7z.jpg

The Centre of Reformation spawns in Namen (Namur). I send a missionary to Brabant, to convert Brussels. The to my surprise Nevers converts by itself a couple of days later, before I get around to Force converting it for the Reformation Age objective. And spawns its own Centre of Reformation. Which means the three Protestant CoR are in Nuremberg, Namen, and Nivernais. I admit to not spending long at the time thinking about this as I almost immediately attack England, calling in France for favours.

iGHyppX.jpg

My initial strategy is simple: send two small 2k stacks to Cambray and Le Caux, and small siege stack (including now 4 artillery) to Picardie to take the fort. The remainder I send to my new lands in Holland to be prepared to stop any trouble from the East Friesians. I let France siege down Maine and Cotentin. The first stages of this war go very well, the four non-fort provinces fall, I get a breach in Picardie, and in the course of two battles I destroy the East Friesian army. I begin to siege their capital just about the time that Picardie falls.

ztmTncw.jpg

I then send my siege-stack to take over that siege, and move the rest of the army back home in case the English come a-calling. They do, but not in my territories, but in Normandy.

S9UpGTI.jpg

I move my army into Picardie, when I notice a smaller English force is trying to land in Le Caux. I move my army into position. The initial fight is, to be honest, an altogether closer affair than I wanted, and it possible I only attained victory through French intervention.

v2GM96j.jpg

In May the remainder of that army was wiped out in Cotentin, but another battle duly loomed with the first English army. This time I definitely needed French help for the first victory, but whilst the French stayed behind to retake Cotentin I followed the fleeing English and totally dispersed them.

pWE7bUs.jpg

Now I do realise probably no one else is as enthralled by Odoyev’s exploits as I am, but they are at it again, albeit on lesser scale given there is not that much left of the not-so Great Horde anymore.

JA7K9qS.jpg

After my two victories the war screen temporarily shows the enemy without any troops at all, but it is not long before they start building again. The East Friesland capital falls however, and so I Enforce Religion on them in the peace treaty. Otherwise just war reparations - there was far too much AE to do anything else.

rXBmVor.jpg

We move into 1496. Between my own missions and the CoR about half my provinces have now been converted. I also around now take my one naval ventre, where I spy an opportunity to attack and sink a lone English light ship. From now on the war turns into a waiting game. My ideal peace is Cambray, War Reparations, with an added Humiliate. That is a 57 warscore, but I hope with the wargoal mine and the effects of war exhaustion I will eventually be able to get there. 1496 finishes with me researching Diplomatic 8, and 1497 begins with me taking the final Innovative Idea. The summer sees Friesland massively defeated in a war with Cologne, and though Cologne, shortly releases Meppen they look like they will be a power in this corner of the Empire.

JSZrc0S.jpg

At the start of 1498 I research Military 9, and choose Landsknechten. I must admit I have never really understood the practical differences between the different unit types, in terms of which is “better” for a specific situation, so I tend to always rp those choices. I should also note that in these few years I had a sequence of negative prestige hits from events, keeping my prestige around -20 to -15 for quite some time. From looking at the peace I now there is a chance of a coalition forming, so I have my diplomats working furiously in improving relations of Outraged countries, but I have also made sure to keep opinion topped up with both France and Austria.

In May my debate in Parliament (Support the War Effort: +1 Stability and +10% Manpower Recovery Rate) is passed. A couple of months later I have fully converted Belgium to Protestantism. It took about 4½ years. Unfortunately I only converted 6 provinces manually, so that particular Age of Reformation objective will not (yet) be fulfilled.

tPyisgZ.jpg

The situation regarding the English peace continues to nudge in my direction. The positive-negative balance has gone from the -40s to being just -10. A little more patience…

I wait into 1499, when Lorraine finally tries to break free from Provence. I am very glad I am not involved, as a quite large war now breaks out in Western Europe. That said, Provence I think will win as two of Lorraine’s backers (Portugal and Scotland) are just too far away to be effective. Also my main current general dies, so I start to use my backup. My army is just lurking in case of an English landing, but it never comes. As of June in that year I am able to get the peace I desire.

fDfbO9t.jpg

Of note, this means I now control all the Walloon provinces, and thus I am now at the limit of my direct southern expansion.

Austria then immediately calls me into a war against Venice, Switzerland, and Bosnia. I accept, as I know I will definitely need to keep this alliance. I also add my first Aspect of Faith, which I set to be Individual Creeds (-5% Idea cost). Over the next few months a Coalition does indeed begin to form until the end of the play session.

5OBb3Qh.jpg

These are all to the West of me and my ally Gelre. I am adopting an attitude of cautious prudence - I keep my forts fully maintained, and indeed start to build a new fort on that border. As of the game session, however, they had yet to make a move.

Meanwhile my Heir had become an Obsessive Perfectionist. Increased construction costs are hardly fun, but at least it is just money. A small Venetian army manages to thread its way to Den Haag, where I annihilate it.

qo5ZRgU.jpg

I unlock the Benign Diplomatics Idea (Diplomatic 4), and then in September 1501 the Age of Reformation begins. Part of me wonders if I should not have triggered a Golden Age at the end of Exploration era, but too late now.

wWtT5vN.jpg

Provence snacks on Brittany, which I find interesting. Provence and France are allied, but so far Provence also remains independent. All in all France is not yet whole, which I take to be a sign of success.

FkcZVYr.jpg

The next month, however, seems some less than pleasant news - it appears Austria has lost the Emperor-ship. It appears because their Heir was underage. It has gone, for the time being, to Bohemia. How this will impact me, I don’t know, but I think to keep the Austrian alliance for the moment.

b1baAeI.jpg

Into 1502 and I get to choose my second Aspect of Faith. I choose Icons for the added prestige, to see if I can get out of this prestige trap I appear to be in. In May I research Admin Tech 9, and am able to unlock the next Diplomatic Idea. This triggers the fourth National Idea, which is +10% army morale. Finally at the end of May Austria successfully concludes its war with Venice. I realise I can actually add Venice as a rival, so I do. This is mostly just to get rid of the power projection malus, and because I think it will cement my relations with Austria, who also have Venice rivalled. I play a couple more months before saving.

As for the Reformation, a few more countries have no converted, but I remain the only sizeable nation thus far. A fair few French provinces have been converted though, so I do wonder if we might not see a Protestant France. I have decided to keep Nevers as a vassal for the time being as much for this reason as anything else. France will not attack them so long as we are allied. Even if they don’t eventually convert call it another way of weakening France slightly.

YANN4Sw.jpg

My plan with England is shortly to fabricate a claim on Picardie, and was that for a future war. I think I might be able to pull France into two more wars with England yet, putting off the day when France will take those provinces. I have to say, with a friend like me France does not really need enemies.

Otherwise my thoughts are simple: sit tight. I need to let that coalition fall apart, and AE more generally to dissipate. I may yet have to turn on my ally Gelre to acquire the whole of the Low Countries, but if so that will be for the future. I also currently have a free relation slot, but remain unsure where best to fill it. Another ally right now would be useful, but not if they are likely to draw me into wars. Will need to think about that.

I admit I'm a little fascinated by Odoyev's rise myself. It's always a little refreshing to see the unlikeliest of minors rise to some degree of prominence, especially outside the player's direct intervention -- keeps things fresh :)

So far Belgium has been moving from strength to strength. Let's hope that trend continues in the forseeable future.