• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Best of luck with the issues you face, my friend! It hurts to read you are suffering. :(

As for future AARs, I'll any you make, but I have a preference for Stellaris and KR stories. :)

A fitting retrospective on an excellent and enthralling AAR :) As you put it yourself, it makes for a superb showcase of how one need not play "wide" to become a world power, nor play "peaceful" to play "tall." Watching Belgium become a force to be reckoned with, and able to go toe-to-toe with other Great Powers and win, has been a genuine joy.

With regards to "The Future":

First, while I obviously can't fully understand the particulars of your situation, know that I sympathize, want to see you do well and be well, and wish you all the best. I won't claim to speak for anyone else, but I'm sure I'm not alone in this regard, either. Whenever you feel the darkness closing in, know that you are appreciated, that you are valued, that you are wanted -- that there are people in this world whose own personal crosses may have been made that little bit lighter by your own work or even just your presence. It may be but a small flame, but I hope it is bright enough to serve as a beacon on your path to joy and wellness.

As for future AAR plans specifically, I've gone ahead and edited the list to reflect my own preferences, given the options you've provided:

Naturally, of course, the decision is ultimately in your hands :)

-----

And with all that said and done, there is one more thing that I feel is long overdue:

@stnylan: For your tireless work and dedication in completing an excellent AAR, and in recognition of a long and (literally) storied trend of particular excellence from works past and as a guiding light of AARland generally, it is my honor and privilege to present you with a Red Special Cookie ●.

At your discretion, if you wish to display this award in your signature or anywhere else on these forums, you may copy and paste the string displayed below into the text:

Code:
[B][COLOR=#ff0000]Red Special Cookie [url=https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-game-for-lisan-belgium.1105729/page-9#post-24688949 ]●[/url][/COLOR][/B]
Thank you my friend. I am going to try and insert the cookie somewhere when I next alter my sig.

I liked the retrospective, and eagerly await your next AAR.
Thank you

You’ve been very busy of late! Am progressively catching up again - have just got through that Great War with the Mamluks: victory to be sure, but at what cost and benefit? I guess it’s part of gradually bringing them down, Punic War style, which can’t be done all at once.
Oh the Mamluks were a very tough nut to crack, as you'll see. As to being busy, I had a surfeit of time. Given how restless I have been since finishing this AAR I have to say the AAR has clearly used up lots of time I would have otherwise spent worrying about a whole bunch of stuff. Which means I should probably start a new one soonish.

Best of luck with the issues you face, my friend! It hurts to read you are suffering. :(

As for future AARs, I'll any you make, but I have a preference for Stellaris and KR stories. :)
Thank you.

All

I am starting to lean towards the idea of a vanilla HoI4 British India AAR. That said, with 1.27 coming our way on Monday I might change my mind.

Well, I just read through to the end. That was a major Great War to finish with. You ended up as a Belgian Napoleon - but with a desert victory rather than a bitter Russian winter! :cool:

Again, as others have said (and I have before) my heartfelt best wishes with that ‘black dog’. Just remember, we all think world of you, so you should think so of yourself! I hope you get the therapy you need (it’s so important) soon and the support. And what support we can provide ‘remotely’ via these forums, please know you have it.

Thank you for a very rare (for me) diversion into EU4 and best of luck with that next project. And everything else, my friend. :)

subbed

@stnylan Let me just say this was impressively done, and a great read. I don't comment here much (21 posts in 14 years? Uhh, understatement of the year right there!), but as someone who has similar struggles (depression and divorce), I wanted to let you know there was someone else out there appreciating what you did. I give serious credit to anyone who writes an AAR, since I can only imagine how much work it is but know how much it is appreciated. Well done sir!

Well, I just read through to the end. That was a major Great War to finish with. You ended up as a Belgian Napoleon - but with a desert victory rather than a bitter Russian winter! :cool:

Again, as others have said (and I have before) my heartfelt best wishes with that ‘black dog’. Just remember, we all think world of you, so you should think so of yourself! I hope you get the therapy you need (it’s so important) soon and the support. And what support we can provide ‘remotely’ via these forums, please know you have it.

Thank you for a very rare (for me) diversion into EU4 and best of luck with that next project. And everything else, my friend. :)
Yes. It was a grand victory.

And thank you.

'Tis done

@stnylan Let me just say this was impressively done, and a great read. I don't comment here much (21 posts in 14 years? Uhh, understatement of the year right there!), but as someone who has similar struggles (depression and divorce), I wanted to let you know there was someone else out there appreciating what you did. I give serious credit to anyone who writes an AAR, since I can only imagine how much work it is but know how much it is appreciated. Well done sir!
Hah. You appear to have posting habits diametrically opposite to my own! :D

But thank you - it means a lot.

Hah. You appear to have posting habits diametrically opposite to my own! :D

But thank you - it means a lot.
Yes, it certainly would appear to be so. :D I read frequently, and marvel at how good people are at these games even when they claim to be merely average players. I've had a couple of good games (Milan -> Italy was fun, Poland -> PLC with some colonization, Ayutthaya becoming a colonizer and the major power in East Asia was a great time), but then struggle trying to do some of the more minor starts. Do not ask me about how terrible I am with Scotland, for some reason. :)

Glad that I could provide some positive feedback, and thank you for the fantastic stories you've shared with all of us. Needless to say, my (now) 23 posts do not indicate how much time I've spent reading on this forum, and your AARs in particular have been great. I learned a ton from the Vicky 2 AAR you did, for example.

Congrats on making it through, I really enjoyed reading this, especially the last big war of the campaign. Also good luck in getting back on your feet, know that there are always people willing to listen when you feel the need to talk or just a listening ear, be it in real life or on this forum. It requires courage to openly speak about the things you're facing right now, you have my respect for that.

Also, about those ideas you have:

Hearts of Iron IV:
(a) Many Paths of Germany. Play down the different German alt-history paths (and the historical one) and compare where things stand every [insert relevant time point here]. Minimum interval being one month.
If I had any say in it, I would definitely want to read something like this, especially the alt-history German path(s), but that's probably just my interest for Imperial Germany speaking here. Whatever you come up with at whatever given time, I'll be there reading and enjoying it :)!

Just a note to say I have started my next AAR The Future of the Red Lion. It will be a Stellaris AAR starting properly once Megacorp is released, but I am writing the backstory now.