• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I mean, it's better than in the old Stellaris where some empires could spawn out of range of any systems (Can that still happen?)

YEAR 2035

2031, Wum Jiam System

"For the last time, can all delegates please take their seats and remain silent!"

Shrill, high-pitched cries of debate rang around the Trade Union Congress board of the Jaazijans, an avian race that had only just heralded the discovery of FTL travel a few months ago, towards the end of 2030. The Jaazijans had long shared their homeworld of Kitrel in peace and harmony, but it had been only recently that their nations came together as one for the good of peace and trade.

For years the standard of living skyrocketed and the economy was booming, and before long the first united efforts to explore their surrounding space began, to exploit the surrounding systems of their minerals and, if possible, to find worthy trade partners. They had been hopeful to find friends in a previously dark and empty galaxy.

What they found instead sowed fear into every society and Jaazijan on the planet.

The first interstellar probe they sent travelled to the Veit system, to their galactic-north, in order to investigate several radio patterns that could potentially come as a result of sentient life. Hundreds of scientists huddled in expectation as the probe drew near to it's target, but as soon as it entered the system's space a loud ring sparked through the transmitter, followed by radio silence. Either the probe had been struck by an asteroid or a solar flare, or something... someone had destroyed it on purpose.

The question was answered only two days later. Every radio station on Kitrel tuned in to a mysterious, extraterrestrial signal, strong enough to reach the entire planet, played the same repeated message over and over:

"Pay attention, sinister aliens; we are the Orassian Shard, a grand culture alive millions of years before you learned how to bang rocks together. You've made your homeworld within our rightful buffer-zone, an area maintained thusly for millenia. Know you are now a threat to the Orassians. Know that we shall deal with you accordingly."

A9309AB1A98F8F51D7626F2D455CBB98185874FE

Naturally, panic ensued. For a month society crumbled as reports of the vast strength of this 'Orassian Shard' was truly put into perspective; they had ships that were millions of years ahead of theirs, armed with technology forever beyond their reach. The age-old Jaazijan rhetoric of 'peace before anything else' was thrown into doubt as many TUC leaders (correctly) assumed that peace with the Jaazijans would be completely impossible, and that they would either have to fight them, somehow, or manage to relocate to a planet outside of their 'buffer-zone'.

"Mr Speaker," shouted one unruly delegate, "These... things are impossible to defend against. Pacifism won't work against an enemy that refuses to negotiate whatsoever!"

"Mr Cruji, your concerns are noted," replied a weary First Speaker Triik, an aged and experienced politician, yet utterly clueless as to how to deal with this existential threat. "But I must ask you - and EVERYBODY HERE - to calm down so that-"

"-Mr Speaker, now is not the time to-"

"-we need to stay coordinated here-"

"-Order, everbody, order!" Triik screamed, turning to each of the delegates arguing amongst themselves. He opened his beak to speak, but checked himself when he saw what was in each delegates eyes; pure, abject terror. He could feel the sense of dread from each one that nothing at all could be done to spare them from the onslaught. Not a soul in the room held hope of weathering the coming storm.

"Men of Kitrel, we've overcome our differences each time we've disintegrated into chaos. We pulled peace from the jaws of nuclear destruction, and equality from prejudice and inequality. A finer species than ours I have yet to find in the galaxy - no matter what they may believe. Although some of you may be encouraged to believe that war and retribution is our only option, in doing so we give these precursors reason to annihilate us entirely; peace is truly our only option-"

"-But Mr Sp-"

"I will not hear any more of this talk. War has never worked for us. We must attempt whatever communications we can with this empire and hope that their terms allow our species to continue it's great existence, in whatever form they permit. Perhaps by cooperating they will be lenient. Certainly if we are combative they will not!"

The shrieking of the delegates picked up to new levels, but First Speaker Triik was not able to shut them up a second time. The raucous debate continued until a beleaguered Triik meekly called an end to the summit, prematurely.

---

21st of May was the day when the whole of Jaazijian society stood still. The Orassian ships touched down on Kitrel, their ancient design unlike anything the Jaazijians had ever seen before. The Jaazijian dignitaries, delegates and diplomats formed a queue to 'welcome' their extraterrestrial neighbours. Funny, thought Triik, I thought our first welcome of an alien species on our planet would be to discuss an alliance, not our unconditional surrender.

The Orassians were creatures somewhat smaller than Jaazijans and somewhat rodent-like, but the biggest difference was where there would be a joyful smile on the face of a Jaazijan there was a sneer of cold command on the precursors.

One obviously high-ranking Orassian turned to his lieutenant to whisper a few commands before addressing the leaders before him.

"Us Orassians have decided to spare your species from destruction this time, Jaazijans. However, now that you have the means to expand across the stars we expect you to do so; away from us. Colonise another planet, and once you do you must vacate Kitrel forever. You may kneel."

As one the defeated Jaazijans knelt before the aliens, humiliated and humbled. The old Triik was at the front of them all as First Speaker, and once the Orassian's speech was finished he pulled him in, adopted a tone wholly more hostile.

"We've listened to your abominable pleas, Triik, and we listened, only because you did not defy us willingly. However, if you pigeons step out of line we can obliterate you instantly and without remorse, understood?"

Triik could only nod to show he understood the gravity of the situation. "Good bird. As your superior I command you that your first and overriding purpose is to build a colony ship and to leave Kitrel. We shall return here every few years, and each time we find you have not left the planet we shall use the surface of Kitrel as target practice - our admirals have not seen war in millenia, and I fear their aim needs improvement if a larger threat were to present itself."

Triik gulped as the Orassians departed the alien world, almost as quickly and menacingly as they had arrived.

---

Elsewhere in the galaxy, a young Yv'Zorak of the Alliance of Poqats asked his mother a question in a shrill voice.

"Mother, are the aliens we found going to hurt us?"

"No, silly thing. They're amazing - they've built a wonderfully rich and powerful nation and they've sworn to protect us from any evil monsters there may be in outer space!"

"But what if they had been evil themselves?"

"That would never have happened!" The mother laughed to herself, "Any self-respecting empire that lasted that long would've ditched xenophobia millions of years ago!"

---

The years from 2030-3035 did not see as large of an explosion of pre-FTL species gaining enlightenment, but it did see our first technical war. The newly formed Jaazijian Assembly of Planets found itself right on the border of the Xenophobic fallen empire, the Orassian Shard. By 2035 they've already been defeated in one war against the Orassians, and assumedly the precursors re-declared war as soon as the peace treaty ran out. I wouldn't really put money on them to be imperialistic contenders (sorry to spoil it for you).

8EFB0B68C97C0BD96BEF54DB23DB6BD8BE7A37EF

Only two other races entered the space age in this period; The authoritarian yet rational Gulk-Furki Empire, and the spiritualist Covenant of Maddfiv Vvada who use cyber brainwashing to enforce their doctrines upon everyone in the empire. No one has yet begun to expand out of their borders, although they certainly will once enough time has passed.

6F9116870153D26E13F0D7B067EF19C5813CA562

I want to keep the exposition section of today's instalment short because I don't have much time at the moment, but I certainly am expecting things to heat up in the galaxy over the coming weeks as nations start to explore outside their borders - will they find rich, beautiful planets or menacing aliens? Evidently the Jaazijans have already answered that question today.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed today's episode. If you haven't yet you may wish to choose an empire to support over this series (not the Anarcho-Communists though, they've stolen my heart). With that said, see you next time in 2040!

CB68A612FD9BE0A0824A9D2756012BC6DEEC912C

State of the galaxy in 2035
if you ever decide to do another primitives only I could send you my mod list. I have a couple race mods that I have I thought were cool

if you ever decide to do another primitives only I could send you my mod list. I have a couple race mods that I have I thought were cool

I'll be sure to do that, one of the few problems is that the sheer number of primitives means that there are some repeating species, and I'd definitely love to do a second run of this so that I can iron out any issues.

2240: Hythean Alliance
YEAR 2240

2039, Ulm System

Dussel was lazily flicking through a Science! magazine when the roll call siren wailed out yet again. In truth he had no interest in his magazine - the self-proclaimed 'scientists' who wrote it evidently had little knowledge about what they were talking about - but anything was better than attending yet another one of Captain Comodar's morning drill.

He allowed a few minutes to pass before picking himself up and stumble his way to the ship's bridge. He saw some of the younger members of the crew rushing ahead, full of the naivety from the inexperience of space travel. Of course, the Hytheans had been capable of space travel for little over a decade now, but as one of the leading geologists Dussel had been part of the early crew to survey the Ulm system and uncover every last scrap of information they could.

There was reason for excitement though. This would be the first voyage of any Hythean ship outside of the Ulm System, manned or otherwise. Dussel was naturally keen on the idea of being amongst the first to explore beyond Ulm, but he'd been on this ship for 7 months now and the crew had been driving him insane.

"Good morning everyone, and welcome to what will be your final day in Ulm for a long while!" Captain Comodar began. A eruption of excited chattering came from the novices, thrilled by the idea that they were soon to go interstellar.

Despite his usual cynicism, Dussel couldn't help but let out a smirk - to think that, in a matter of hours, they would see there own sun as a star in the night sky. What ancestors had spent millions of years gazing upon in wonder, Dussel would master in less than a day.

"Before we start today's drill, I cannot overstate how incredible you've all been as a crew. From the scientists who are now used to the regime of space research, down to those of you who have barely been out of the military academy, this achievement cannot have been done without any one of you." Dussel rolled his eyes at that; he could think of several useless cretins who this expedition would've been better without.

The morning continued on in this manner - the captain regaling in how wonderful they all were and how they would go down in history, followed by a strict training regime to keep with Hythean militaristic traditions. Then Dussel would go to his dorm and spend however much time he could by himself, since as a geologist he had little work to do during the travel. This meant that, while everyone else was frantically working to make sure everything was ready for interstellar travel, Dussel went back to lazily flipping through magazines.

Several hours went by until Dussel heard the intercom crackle with the news that the jump was imminent, followed by a pulsating boom as the ship began to get pulled along the hyperlane to the nearby Sehuetum System. Finally it truly dawned on Dussel the magnitude of what was occurring, and a weird feeling of boyish excitement overcame him.

He wasn't becoming one of those damned novices, was he?

The journey along the hyperlane, which spanned 6 light years, lasted little less than an hour. Soon the crew were informed that, at last, they had arrived at Sehuetum, the first alien sun they had ever seen. It glowed a bright blue, typical of a Class A star, but beautiful to see up close. Finally, the Hytheans could begin to unravel the secrets of the galaxy. As soon as that thought came into Dussel's head, one of the pilots approached the captain with a rather horrified expression.

"Sir, we've done our preliminary scans, and we've found... something that didn't come up previously-"

"What is it, Jikal?" Came the nervous reply of the usually joyful captain.

The pilot coughed. "Well, we don't know because it's refracting all our scans away from it, but since it's doing this there must be something."

"It must be some sort of rock that has this sort of property." Captain Comodar turned to Dussel. "Are there any such rocks that could do this sort of thing?"

"Yeah, if it's glass or crystal-"

"But sir!" The anxious pilot almost wailed. "It can't be! According to the scans, the thing is moving!"

The ship's bridge descended into a deathly silence as the pilot's map indicated that some sort of anomaly was leaving a large gap in their data, and that this gap was moving.

And that it was moving towards them.

863F5FB2EEECA96F919A2CDE24B17426C9DF3AE7

---

The years 2235-40 marked the first time that the various alien empires explored the space around them. Although many have yet to dispatch science ships to discover the galaxy, those that have are giving themselves a massive advantage over the competition.

The most successful empire in this regard are the Hahn-Mar State, launching their first science expeditions early in 2236 and have since expanded there authority onto the systems they have explored, since no-one else nearby seemingly wanted to. Although their authority on this region is weak, they are definitely the strongest of the bunch so far.

CEEEF0BCE6B5ABC7F9CE18CF69A793AD999B7BC0

The only other two to have expanded out of their home system in this period were the neighbouring Tuxkan Divine Foundation and the Menjeti Theocracy. Although there are no hyperlanes that connect them right now, it must surely be a matter of time before these two religious foundations discover each other.

In this shot is also the Commonwealth of Patraggor, the newly formed jingoistic regime that touts authoritarianism, xenophobia, militarism and elitism as it's main principles.

B7D750EF2661196311F33F95F4EBB142187CCC64

And so 2240 in our humble galaxy draws to a close, with the advent of new powers promising for an exciting future. Today's focus on the Hythean Alliance was because I noticed while I was running the game that they're entirely cut off from the galaxy, with their only route out of their home system being occupied by thousands of crystalline entities. So, RIP to their chances of becoming relevant.

Thanks for reading today's episode, and I'll see you next time in 2245!

A30CFE0348B8D68E953E681F960AB99D60576677

The state of the galaxy in 2240

Today's focus on the Hythean Alliance was because I noticed while I was running the game that they're entirely cut off from the galaxy, with their only route out of their home system being occupied by thousands of crystalline entities. So, RIP to their chances of becoming relevant.
Ouch! Well that must suck. For them. :D Poor Dussel, poor captain Comodar. But that's space for you.

Another unfortunate race.

That's another unfortunate start.

That must be so disappointing.

Firstly, thanks for all the kind words everyone, it's really appreciated!

A new part will be up this weekend, but before that I'd like to ask around to see if anyone's got a solution to a little problem I have with the save. As you might have noticed, after the first few primitives rose to the space age every nation afterwards have had a black filler with a white border. Of course, this won't effect how the game runs, but it seems as if every single nation will now be fully black-and-white :confused:.

Hopefully this won't be too much of a problem for anyone, but since the gameplay isn't effected really I'm able to carry on with the AAR. If anyone knows a potential solution to this I'd be forever grateful!

This is a really interesting concept! How did you set this up, in game? Did you use any mods? I'd love to try this out. I look forward to reading the rest of this! Great job

Thanks a lot! I used a mod called 'Primitives Everywhere' which means that the primitives slider on x5 will make almost every system have a pre-FTL society, which helps give the effect of a pretty decentralised galaxy with only a few major powers. When you start the game with whatever species you are you need to use the 'kill_country' command (I believe) with no other AI empires in the game, and just let the game run along for a while. Any other mods I do use, such as the More Civics and Ethics one I use purely to make the civilisations that spring up more interesting.

2245: Hahn-Mur State
YEAR 2245

2240, Bunda System

Pubgluurh stared out onto the alien world, taking in the rich beauty of the landscapes and colossal cities that sprawled across the surface. Of course, the designs and constructions here were not nearly at the same level as the mammoth monuments and acropolis back home on Jurg-Shondaar, but peeking into an entirely different culture - a different species, in fact - with so many wonderful designs was something that took Pubgluurh's breath away.

The primitive civilisation had been the reason the Bunda Observation Post had been built, to more closely study the 'Yax'Kalock' that ruled the grassy plains below. Due to the fact that the Yax'Kalock had already begun to experiment with Space Age technology, having had already launched a primitive form of space station orbiting their homeworld before the Hahn-Mur could arrive here, it had been an arduous and highly elegant task in order to build it without the Yax'Kalock noticing. First they built it remotely back in the space of Jurg-Shondaar, before applying state-of-the-art invisibility rays that warped light beams around it, allowing the scientists to get a close up of alien culture without risk of being found.

Pubgluurh had been among the first of the scientists to apply for a job on BOP, but by the time he was on it he found out that there was a significant catch - due to the fact that invisibility drives cannot be safely installed onto large moving ships, the scientists on BOP could not leave the station without running the risk of being spotted. The only outside contact they would receive were small drones carrying supplies in return for the information the scientists found out.

This had been going on for 7 years now, and although Pubgluurh often thought of his parents back at home, he never once regretted his decision. Being on the forefront of such discoveries into this foreign society was worth giving his life up for in Pubgluurh's eyes, and besides, it paid well. The scientists on the Observation Post lived a relatively comfortable life.

Which is why, late on in 2240, you can imagine how shocked Pubgluurh was when a massive Hahn-Mur ship had docked onto BOP, not even trying to hide itself from curious eyes on the surface below.

In panic Pubgluurh rushed to the Bridge of BOP, fearing that some outcast or interloper was interfering with their project, but what he found there instead was even stranger - a conglomerate of scientists and Priests of Natura, headed by none other than Chief Precentor Huuregdhe, leader and champion of the Hahn-Mur State.

Pubgluurh instantly dropped to his knees as he strained to listen to what he was talking about to the head of the Observation project. "-Well, at any rate, the higher-ups on Jurg-Shondaar have made it clear to me what the people want."

"But it would put the project at risk!" Whispered the scientist profusely, "It could put our entire civilisation at risk! You know from the reports we've sent home how warlike these beings are!"

"That can be dealt with in due time." The Chief Precentor waved away his protests. "But the High Priests of Natura have made it abundantly clear to us all how shameful it would be if we allowed the planet's life to succumb thanks to some pitiful war, a war that could only occur thanks to our isolationism."

"They're doing fine by themselves-" Squeaked the scientist.

"Enough!" Hushed Huuregdhe authoritatively, "Besides, the motion has already been passed on Jurg-Shondaar - this feat will go ahead." Hurregdhe cast his eye across to the prostrated Pubgluurh, who was still flat on the floor. "And can someone tell that man he needn't stay on the floor any longer?"

Awkwardly, Pubgluurh picked himself up and flittered by the door, as nervous as anyone who was suddenly thrown into the presence of his leader would be. In cold, commanding steps Huuregdhe made his way towards the fledgling scientist.

"And who might you be?" He asked, in a half-friendly, half-firm voice.

"P-Pubgluurh, sir!" The scientist stuttered.

"Well, Pubgluurh, it wouldn't be befitting of your service to the state if you weren't informed on the current change in plan for your project" Pubgluurh's heart raced. What could he mean by 'change in plan'?

"The findings your crew have made on the Bunda Observation Post, along with the many subsequent posts built across our space-realm, have caused the populace on Jurg-Shondaar to form one majority viewpoint - if there are so many of these relatively advanced alien species, as there appears to be by our findings, then it makes sense that we will soon come across those at the same level as us technologically, does it not?"

"Yes, sir!" Squeaked Pubgluurh.

"In that case, many thought it would be best to prepare ourselves for when that does happen, which involves getting all the help we can." The Chief Precentor drew close to Pubgluurh, breaking into a small, wrinkled smile. "Already the Yax'Kalock on the surface are standing stunned by the appearance of our ship. Imagine their appearance when you and all the rest of us descend down to officially greet them once and for all?"

"You mean, we're going to-"

"Enlighten them, yes!" Huuregdhe grinned. "Soon our nation shall be rich with the ideas and technologies of species across Tawlor's Nebula, and if some evil comes knocking on our door, we shall be fully prepared to defend ourselves!"

"A foolish idea", muttered the head scientist from before.

"Silence!" Spat Huuregdhe, showing a rare side of himself, before turning himself once more to Pubgluurh. "So, what do you think?"

Pubgluurh thought about all the things he saw in the past 7 years - the construction projects, the children running along streets and in fields, laughing and cheering, all the wonderful things the Yax'Kalock have done. There was no doubt in his mind for what should occur.

"I think it's a great idea, sir." He beamed, before turning his attention back to the Chief Precentor, "Let's do it".

FA0AD336E00CF2363BBC4E7831D6943F58025002

---

The years 2240-2245 marked a time of renewed expansion for many civilisations, as well as a plethora of new species rising up to the challenge that is FTL travel. Not only do we have the Hahn-Mur state enlightening multiple primitive species, but the Kingdom of Jurg-Sahuul are officially the first nation to colonise an alien planet as well, founding the colony of Jurg-Wuudhal on a savanna world right next to their homeworld, and it's coming together pretty nicely.

94FCD3B259CFDF2B81FC0BCA4E7C292479D45C97

We also have many new empires popping up throughout the galaxy, which I will try to go through quickly now:

• The UNITED EKWYNIAN POLITY are fanatic xenophobe, fanatic militarist and individualist - yeah, they're basically that kind of species. They will look to spread their doctrine across the entire galaxy whilst simultaneously subjugating or exterminating all alien life. So the Jaazijans are now between two xenophobic nations who are stronger than them.
  • The VOOL AUTHORITY are fanatic authoritarian, individualist, and fanatic ecologist - although led by a dictator his powers now are largely constitutional, and the Vool will likely follow a doctrine of peaceful trading whereby they offload their vast power reserves for many rare goods across the galaxy.
  • The MULTYX UNITED REALMS are fanatic militarist, fanatic ecologist and egalitarian. Lead by a militaristic commissariat and traditional values, the Multyx also seek to expand across the galaxy, but will likely do so with far more honour and respect than the aforementioned Ekwynians.

1507CF086137BBEF7E2E73371B7557F6CD6B5B9C

Another interesting development is the rise of both the Obbha Imperial Domains and the Vat'na-Ka Civilization, whose home-systems are connected by a hyperlane. The Obbha is lead by a Communist Dictatorship, which is xenophile, fanatic pacifist and fanatic collectivist, while the people's republic of the Vat'na-Ka are authoritarian, fanatic collectivist and fanatic industrialist.

Seemingly these two empires could potentially get along, although with such little space in between them and with the much older and aristocratic Endurga Civilization likely hell-bent on eradicating their communist societies, will they band together to defend against the larger threat, or will the proximity between them be too much for either to bear?

1D4B91505F697F34B7B78D80D006F980B5A83E27

There were a few other smaller empires that rose up as well, but for the sake of not overloading you with information I'll refrain from developing them until they become relevant to the story. Things are certainly spicing up in the galaxy with the empires set to come to contact with their galactic neighbours, and those who were first to rise up already setting themselves apart from the chasing pack. Already it appears that nations such as the Hahn-Mur State, the Kingdom of Jurg-Sahuul and several others are setting themselves up to be the frontrunners for galactic superpowers, but you never now - one of the newer nations could get lucky and overtake them in the race for supremacy.

With that said, the stage is set for the oncoming years. Thanks for reading, and I'll see you soon in 2250!

BC86BA820EAE313F17DA354C3D900BCE4058BEB7

The state of the galaxy in 2245

Last edited:
Quite fun how some parts of the galaxy remain relatively unpopulated, whilst others have quite a few nations.

Quite fun how some parts of the galaxy remain relatively unpopulated, whilst others have quite a few nations.

That was one thing that I love as well; it means you get points early on with lots of conflict while other empires are able to ominously build up their power, gobbling up the lesser primitives who didn't manage to enlighten themselves.

Seems that Pubgluurh has a bright future in front of him.