• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(37096)

Lt. General
18 Badges
Dec 21, 2004
  • Divine Wind
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Please allow me to start this AAR, with a little background information...

The game which has spawned this AAR, was not meant to be anything special. I had about 30 minutes before I needed to go to work, so I thought I would try an experiment. I was curious if Sweden rushed to Saint Petersburg and occupied it if it would give Sweden enough war score to claim Finland. So I ran my experiment. (For the record, you do not build up enough war score) Afterwards I thought this would make a great foundation for an AAR...

House Rules
-Vanilla
-1.03c (hopefully I will have the AAR finished before 1.04)
-normal/normal
-no cheats/F12
-no exploits (although I do reserve the right to reload occasionally)
-Limited View (although the first screenshot had full view because the game was originally just an experiment)
-Native troops may only be used for police duties, and only in their original (within reason) area
-Non-national cultured regular troops may never exceed 33% of my total regular army (this ones going to be hard to police, but essentially it means that if I go on an aggressive rampage it will be supported by my own pops, and not some conquered civilization)
-Updates will take about 3 days (sorry)
-My first update will only include one screen shot, again I wasn't planning an AAR.

I guess that about covers it, so here we go.

Last edited:
Things started pretty normal in 1836.
Finances
-Taxes set to 49%
-Education was maxed out
-Crime set to zero
-Social programs received full funding (which amounted to zero)
-Defense set to minimum
-Army and Navy to max
-Max Tariffs
Trade
-Max buy for Machine parts, Small Arms, Clipper Convoy, Wine, Canned Food
-Everything else will be sold off
Army

-With the newly acquired small arms, 33 cavalry divisions with hussars were recruited.
-The largest pop in the country was converted to officers, and enabled 4 generals to be recruited.

Sweden would wait until the cavalry was ready, and then the plan was to send the army straight for Saint Petersburg, and hopefully the peace would give Sweden most of Finland (it may not have been the best plan, but it was all I had).

Elsewhere the Netherlands choose not to recognize Belgian independence. The resulting war was: UK, Belgium vs. Netherlands, Prussia, Austria (France stayed neutral). Prussia sent numerous envoys requesting an alliance, but I have my own agenda.

When the cavalry was ready they were all placed in Stockholm, and war was declared. All 33 cavalry division struck at Mariehamn. This led to a curious thing. There were 3 divisions in Mariehamn so I placed my navy to cut off their retreat back into Finland, and they did the next best thing. They retreated into Stockholm??? They remained unorganized and continued a retreat all the way around Sweden and into Finland from the north. Because they were disorganized I was never able to attack them. Oh well I'll deal with them later.

The cavalry continued their drive and captured Saint Petersburg with relative ease. Other provinces were occupied to help drive up the war score, but not that many. Just for kicks I sent a peace proposal.
-All of Finland,
-Vipurri
-War indemnities

I had a war score of 30, and the peace deal was for 107, and you can guess what happened. THEY ACCEPTED IT...

0550cfb246.bmp

Now here is where the experimental phase of the AAR comes to an end...
I am in control of Norway, Sweden, and Finland. I have a good bit of debt and a fair sized Army. I am also going to be receiving a lot of cash from Russia over the next two years, so how I spend it will determine the fate of Sweden for Centuries to come. Or...
My army is two to three times the size of the Russian army. My cavalry has a speed of 9 compared to the Russian infantry that moves at a 4. With so few small arms on the world market, Russia will be hard pressed to raise that many new troops for several years. Perhaps I should take this opportunity to launch several wars against the Russian bear and cripple him for the rest of the game.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

Last edited:
Quirinus308 said:
...Perhaps I should take this opportunity to launch several wars against the Russian bear and cripple him for the rest of the game...
has my vote, and my attention! ! ! :cool:

Where did you get the MP for that? I am too much of a POP miser to get anywhere in Victoria. As Sweden I got most of of cores the sissy way by giving away techs.

Gihren Zabi said:
Where did you get the MP for that? I am too much of a POP miser to get anywhere in Victoria. As Sweden I got most of of cores the sissy way by giving away techs.

I used the ledger to find my largest pops and I converted about 5 or 6 to soldiers. They ranged in size from 90,000 to 30,000. (I wish I could do a screen shot from the ledger.) At this stage I'm not to concerned about pops dying as much as I want to set myself up for the future. Besides any pops I lost in that war I more than made up for by liberating Finland which is one of my national cultures.

Pop management will become a much bigger issue if I decide to go after Russia with everything like I am thinking of doing. Right now my population is 6 million compared to Russia's 53 million

Sell that annoying part of the Kola Penninsula, and let's go crush Denmark! Create a united Scandinavia!

That's really amazing. I would guarantee the independence of every country Russia seems likely to DoW (Ottomans, Georgia) so that you might have a chance to keep attacking them before they build up a military.

And Now a brief history lesson

The King of Norway & Sweden in 1836 was Carl XIV Johan. An interesting choice for king as that he was neither Norwegian nor Swedish. Born Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte he was a French Marshall under Napoleon. Under Napoleon he served with mixed results, achieving great victories, but also failing Napoleon (in the Emperor's eyes) on several occasions. In 1809 Bernadotte was stripped of his command. In 1810 he was offered the Swedish crown, but he did not officially become king until 1818.
7def709689.jpg

The first Baltic War was started by Swedish desires to reclaim Finland, but after that objective was met, it became evident that the aged King Carl XIV Johan had deeper motives. The King had watched as his former French countrymen were killed on the plains of Russia, and there was inside him a strong desire for revenge upon the Russians. This was coupled with the fact that he had an equally strong desire to vindicate his name which he felt was tarnished by his dismissal at the hands of Napoleon. What better way to vindicate himself than by crushing the country that had defeated his former Emperor. Napoleon died 15 years earlier, but yet he was still able to motivate even from the grave.

King Carl XIV Johan had a tattoo that read "Death to kings" presumably from his days during the French Revolution. Ironic, considering that this man would become known as the father of the modern Swedish Empire.

Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte now ruled as:
Carl XIV Johan King of Sweden
Carl III Johan King of Norway
Carl I Johan Grand Duke of Finland

Last edited:
The Second Baltic War

The Second Baltic war was started over some trumped up charge regarding the borders established in the treaty of Helsinki that had ended the previous war. The primary goals of the Swedish Army were to occupy St. Petersburg, and encircle and destroy the remaining Russian Armies.
0beeefd0bc.bmp

The destruction of the Russian army was achieved in basically two battles.
The Battle of Belozersk
742c1db165.bmp

and the Battle of Povenec
9d4cf845f2.bmp

Following these two battles the Swedes had 35 divisions in Russia, compared to only 1 regular Russian division, and a few partisans. Unfortunately Denmark chose to join the war at this time, and I had left my southern front completely ungarrisoned.
b0ef8cec95.bmp

I tried to transport troops by sea to the Danish front, but the Russian navy was to powerful. I knew it would take some time for a land army to march all the way around to Denmark, and in that time how much of Southern Sweden would be lost? I knew once I got there I could easily beat the small Danish Army, but it was just a question of how long would it take. So I had a choice to make when the Russian envoy came...
8ec0939a1b.bmp

Last edited:
A Quick Update

Peace was accepted and the Second Baltic War came to an end. Sweden had extended her domain to the White Sea.

Military:
Sweden has one of the most powerful armies in the world: 36 cavalry, 1 dragoon, 2 infantry.
Russia has 1 infantry
Denmark has 3 infantry

Technology:
Progressing nicely

Industry
Employment is about where it should be at this point
Several new factories are under construction
Still about 200 each of small arms, wine, and canned food should we need more troops

Diplomacy
I have treaties with my only two land borders (Denmark and Russia)
Prussia still like us
Bad Boy is not bad (Finland contains all core provinces, so no problem with claiming them)

Economy
#@!^@&@%*&@#
We are in bad shape. The maintenance of the army is sky high not to mention the debt we incurred building it. Interest on that debt is a killer. I am losing about 900 a day. How I wish I was still getting those Russian indemnities.

So where do we go from here...
1. We could disband most of the army, and consolidate our lands, building factories and railroads.
2. We could invade Russia one more time and get war indemnities, and then disband the army etc...
3. We could find a new target to prey upon, perhaps the German minors, or an unciv or two.
4. We could keep going after Russia, and just not care about rampant debt.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions
Actually it's not that hard of a decision.

Last edited:
Quirinus308 said:
...So where do we go from here...

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions
Actually it's not that hard of a decision.
it is a good thing that you know what your decision is. because anything i picked from that list would be wrong... :wacko:

excellent! ! ! :cool:

GhostWriter said:
it is a good thing that you know what your decision is. because anything i picked from that list would be wrong... :wacko:

excellent! ! ! :cool:

I think wrong choices are what this AAR is all about. That debt is killing me, and it's only going to get worse...

Oh well, like I said from the begining, this is just an experiment (first time to play Sweden), so I'm kinda making up my stratagey as we go.

The Third Baltic War and more

Following the end of the Second Baltic War, there remained a part of the Danish Army in Sweden. The Swedish king waited patiently for the Danes to return to Denmark, but they never did and reluctantly (if you can believe that) Sweden declared war on Denmark, and with it came war against Holstein, Russia and Greece.

At this time there was only one division in Russia, so needless to say the War in Russia was a cakewalk. In Denmark we quickly wiped out the Danish army and pushed on to Holstein
b8f3c597c4.bmp

Russia conceded another 5 provinces and Denmark was satallited (I want to save her for the Scandinavian unification). At the end of the war all units were returned to Sweden, and we proceeded to declare war on Russia again and again and again.

4a077d1545.bmp

23f6e5e349.bmp

and don't forget Greece

bb4d63fb9b.bmp

25982103eb.bmp

Everything was going wonderful until...

Last edited:
53801f5df0.bmp

Ok, I can deal with this...
Still more wars

13f53e8796.bmp

then

53801f5df0.bmp

!@#%^! 1%$!%$!

and then just for good measure

e4d4b1af10.bmp

Ok, now this is really getting out of hand. We are now at -2400 prestige (no, that's not a misprint). I was prepared to struggle with prestige because I was breaking peace deals, but this I wasn't prepared to do. Obviously there was only one thing left to do in this situation.

So I declared war on Russia and took my frustrations out on them.

A changing of the Guard

In March of 1843 the King died...
He strove so hard to eliminate Russia, but in the end it was just to great a task to accomplish in one lifetime. (Talk about your Napoleon complex)
On his deathbed he made his son promise to finish the work. And so with the coronation of Oscar I there came a new war, and then another new war, and then another new war (I think you get the idea).

In the end a total of 22 Baltic Wars were fought between Sweden and Russia, until...

46464666cd.bmp

Now Oscar I rules
Norway
Sweden
Finland
Holstein
Russia
Poland
Siberia
Ukraine
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
just to name a few

He inherited the third largest empire (population), a massive army and by them way...
6 million in debt (even after 3 bankruptcies)
We need two things, we need income and we need prestige, and we need them now.

Any suggestions

What the... You annexed Russia as Sweden? Haha, that has to be the funniest thing I've seen in a while. And the 6 million debt, and the -2400 prestige.

Now it's time for you to claim the throne of europe... Satellite Russia, keep the baltic states, satellite Poland and from there on you could do anything. Reconquer the new world or satellite Germany and get back the Hansa states. I suggest you do the sensible thing, which is to decrease military spending, cut down army and navy maintenance, increase tariffs, increase taxes, minimize education spending and minimize crime fighting spending.

Anyway, good AAR! An enjoyable read :)

The Wookiee said:
What the... You annexed Russia as Sweden? Haha, that has to be the funniest thing I've seen in a while. And the 6 million debt, and the -2400 prestige.

Now it's time for you to claim the throne of europe... Satellite Russia, keep the baltic states, satellite Poland and from there on you could do anything. Reconquer the new world or satellite Germany and get back the Hansa states. I suggest you do the sensible thing, which is to decrease military spending, cut down army and navy maintenance, increase tariffs, increase taxes, minimize education spending and minimize crime fighting spending.

Anyway, good AAR! An enjoyable read :)

I can't remember do you gain prestige or reduced bad boy from releasing a satallite?
How much prestige do you gain from releasing a satallite?

Last edited: