• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter V

Johann stepped outside and turned his face up to the sun, glad to be outside again. It was Sunday and that had meant church services. Johann took his faith seriously and did not view going to church as a burden as some did, but that did not mean that he wasn't sometimes very happy when services finally ended. He was especially not sorry to see them end on days when the temperature outside turned the atmosphere inside the church with it's crush of bodies into something just this side of unbearable. And there was, of course, the fact that the end of church meant the beginning of an afternoon of peace and quiet on the riverbank. When the world narrowed down to just him, the river, and his fishing pole.

He looked around through the crowd milling about until he spotted Artur and began moving toward him. As he walked over to where his friend stood he cast a look over his shoulder to where Alise walked behind him. For the first time he noticed the way she smoothed her dress and patted at her hair to make sure it was just right as she followed in his wake. The smile that had been on Johann's face since escaping the church slipped and was replaced by a thoughtful frown. Last week's conversation with Alise had been running through his mind again and again. Whenever he had found himself a free moment on the farm, which was not very often, he had gone back to it. Try as he might, though, he couldn't decide exactly how he felt about the whole thing.

He had hoped that today he would get some relief from it all. The one and only thing that he knew of that could completely clear a man's mind was fishing. However, the problem was coming along with him today. In a way it would have been already with Artur being there and all, but what was really making the whole damn thing come to the forefront was the fact that his sister was coming along too. She had asked him last night before the two of them had gone to bed if he would mind her coming along to the river with them, and had even offered to make a picnic lunch to sweeten the deal. He had thought hard about saying no, but had granted her request in the end and a picnic basket now sat next to his fishing pole in the wagon that had brought them into town. He wasn't sure yet if he approved of the idea of her and Artur, but who was he to tell her where she could and couldn't go? Suddenly his frown deepened as a disturbing thought slipped into his mind: Did the fact that he had allowed Alise to come along mean that he did approve of her and Artur in some way? He shook his head as if to clear it of the thought. He was almost to where Artur was standing now and he forced a smile back onto his face. If his smile wasn't quite so bright as it usually was... then so what?

Artur, for his part, was grinning from ear to ear as he reached out to shake Johann's hand. He was wearing a new suit, one that had obviously been tailor made for him. Artur always wore something different to church on Sundays in contrast to Johann and Alise who always wore the same outfits. Their "Sunday bests" they called them. Johann took the offered hand and nodded a greeting to Artur. Alise came to stand alongside him and said, "Hello, Artur."

Artur's grin somehow managed to widen as he turned in her direction and offered her a slight bow before replying, "Hello, Alise. You look lovely today."

Alise looked away so that Artur wouldn't see her blush and Johann's mouth twisted into in a grimace. He usually ignored it when Artur said things like that because he knew that Artur was just being nice. Knowing now what kind of effect those comments had on his sister, he wished that Artur would just say hello and leave the compliments out. He was about to broach the subject of Alise coming along on their fishing excursion when none other than Elsa Huber suddenly appeared at Artur's side, coming to stand as close to him as propriety would allow. She was wearing a blue dress which Johann noted was similar in color to her eyes and that looked impossibly expensive. He was sure that it probably came from some fancy shop in Vienna. It was complimented by a like colored hat perched atop her head. From under it long, golden hair cascaded down her neck. Johann had to admit one thing: Artur wasn't wrong about thinking her to be beautiful.

Artur, who seemed to have gained some color in his cheeks all of a sudden, gestured to them and said, "Elsa, these are my friends Johann and Alise Bauer."

Elsa smiled and extended her hand, palm down. Johann reached out and took it briefly before letting it drop. Elsa's smile slipped for a moment when he did so, but was soon back at full strength. Johann ignored that. If she had expected him to kiss her hand, then she was as stupid as she was pretty. Elsa then turned to his sister who said, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Elsa." Johann was impressed that she actually sounded like she meant it too.

The four stood looking at one another awkwardly after that. Seeking to break the silence, Alise pointed to Elsa's ensemble and said, "Your dress is very pretty."

Elsa preened for a moment and replied, "Thank you. It's from Vienna." She then eyed Alise's old and much used dress and said, "Your dress is very umm... nice. Very..." She trailed off then as if unable or unwilling to come up with some way of complimenting Alise and Johann suddenly found himself beginning to rather dislike this young woman. He decided to move things along by asking, "Artur, shall we make for the river?" Alise is..."

Artur interrupted him there by saying, "Actually, we're going to have to skip fishing this week, Johann."

"What? Why?"

Artur rubbed a hand at the back of his neck as if not sure how best to explain. Elsa gave him a strange look and then answered for him, "Artur and I are going for a walk and then having a picnic. I thought that it would be nice for us to spend the afternoon together."

Johann looked at Artur incredulously as Alise made an undecipherable sound next to him. He took his eyes from Artur and turned to his sister who had a look on her face as if she had been punched in the stomach. Her eyes seemed to begin to glisten and in a tight voice she said, "Excuse me, I believe I hear my mother calling me."

Johann watched her go for a moment before turning back to Artur and saying, "But we go fishing every Sunday. We have for years."

Elsa laughed at him then and said, "Really, Johann. It's not as if the river won't be there next week." She then tugged at Artur's elbow and said, "Come on, Artur. It's time to go."

Artur gave him an apologetic wave goodbye before turning to follow Elsa. He watched their retreating forms for awhile before turning and walking over to the wagon. Alise was leaning against it with her head down and her hands tightly gripping the sides of her dress. He moved next to her and leaned back against the side of the wagon. She didn't look up at him which made him assume that she was either crying, or working hard to make sure that she didn't. He said, "Forget about her. She's just a rich brat. Artur's a smart guy and he'll realize that before long."

She raised her head enough for him to see her face and gave him a weak smile. Johann was happy to see that she wasn't crying. He gestured toward the inside of the wagon and said, "Come on, let's the two of us go down to the river instead. We'll fish a little and enjoy that lunch you made."

She smiled again to show that she appreciated him trying to cheer her up but said, "You go ahead without me."

Johann shook his head and replied, "But that's too much food for me to eat by myself."

"Who are you kidding?", asked Alise. "I've seen you eat." Johann laughed and she went on, "Besides, you only have one pole and I don't know how to fish."

"So you learn how and we take turns.", offered Johann.

Still, Alise shook her head. Johann walked to the back of the wagon and grabbed the basket and his pole. Walking back over to Alise he held out the basket and said, "You know, Artur might like a girl who knows how to fish."

Alise bit her lower lip and thought that over a moment before reaching out to take the basket from her brother's outstretched hand. Johann reached back into the wagon and pulled out a small container filled with bait and the two set off for the river together.

An update!! In regards to Johann possibly liking a girl who knows how to fish, I would think Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn would absolutely love her! :D

You just had to do it, didn't you? :mad: No, no, you couldn't help it.. No way to avoid doing that, none what so ever.. :mad: I am disspointed in you, severely so...

Why on earth did you have to make a story that absolutely reeks of love and romance, drama, loss, sorrow and so on and so forth??
You know how much of a sentimental old fool I am... you.. you... damn you hardraade!!! That poor, poor girl...

t2309.gif

*snif, snif* Great AAR..*snif*

;)

Stuyvesant: Johann is a nice guy, isn't he? Not much going on in their little town, but that's not the case in the rest of the Empire as we will see in an update later today or tomorrow.

Enewald: On the horizon and coming fast.

volksmarschall: You are no doubt correct, sir.:)

Doge Robert: I'm sorry. I guess I'm just kind of a sappy guy.;)

Last edited:
Chapter VI

Klemens Wenzel von Metternich, Chancellor of the Austrian Empire, paced back and forth behind his desk. From his rigid poster, bright red face, and the way he held several papers in a tightly clenched fist, a blind man could have seen that the Chancellor was not a happy man this day. Suddenly he stopped his pacing and turned to face across the desk. In something that was between a shout and a snarl he said, "You have by far exceeded your authority! You had no right to issue any of these orders!"

The object of the Chancellor's anger, Count Franz Kolowrat, kept his face completely blank and showed no sign that he was either upset or intimidated by the other man's rage. "No right?", he asked in an even voice. "I issued those orders at the behest of the Emperor."

Metternich made a sound of disgust and sat himself down behind his desk. The papers in his hand, which bore copies of the very orders that had raised his ire, he crushed into a ball and vehemently threw into a nearby receptacle. While Kolowrat watched impassively, he calmed himself with some effort and then said, "The Emperor would have issued no such orders without your prompting and that of his brother as well, unless I miss my guess."

Kolowrat held his hands out to either side of him and said simply, "The Emperor did request advice from the Archduke and myself. We gave him our honest opinions-"

"Gave him an opinion you mean."

Kolowrat ignored the interruption and continued on, "And the Emperor acted accordingly. Once his mind was made up, what could we do but see his orders carried out?"

"You act as if this is some small thing you have done, Kolowrat. Let me tell you something, though; it isn't. You could well be leading the Empire down a ruinous path.", said Metternich through clenched teeth.

Kolowrat gave a small laugh and replied, "You do have a touch of the dramatic, don't you? Listen, all that we have done is begun moving some of the army garrisons southward to keep watch on a growing situation in the Balkans. What happens there is, as you know, of great interest to the Empire."

"Those troops are not moving into the area to keep watch and you know it!", exclaimed Metternich. "You have guaranteed support for an uprising in Serbia. It amounts to nothing less than fermenting rebellion within an Ottoman satellite. It will mean war!"

"So what?", asked Kolowrat. "The Ottomans are weak. All the reports we are receiving say that they are losing badly in Africa and that the Egyptians are driving up the Levant with ease. Their garrisons on our border are being called away to replace lost armies. There has never been a better time to challenge them for supremacy in the Balkans."

Kolowrat sat back and waited for an outburst of some kind. Instead of shouting him down, however, Metternich just sighed wearily and began shaking his head back and forth. After a moment he said, "The Ottomans are not the only ones interesting the Balkans. The French and the Russians will view any move by us in the region with suspicion if not outright hostility. Added to that is the fact that the British are allied with the Ottomans." He gestured to the waste basket into which he had tossed the copies of Kolowrat's orders to the armies and continued, "With one stroke of the pen you may well have undone the peace I have fought to maintain all these years and destroyed the Empire in the process."

For the first time during the meeting, emotion played across Kolowrat's face. It twisted up into disgust as he retorted, "It is your peace that may destroy the Empire. While you have us sit pat, the rest of Europe goes on without us. Our enemies grow stronger while we stare around at them like a frightened child. Even those upstarts in Berlin are starting to look down their noses at us. Austria needs to prove that it is still strong."

"What Austria needs to do is maintain the balance of power in Europe!", Metternich shot back. "Not to mention the fact that without the armies keeping watch, some of the peoples of the Empire may grow bold."

"Better then to give them all a common enemy to direct their attention to."

"It is more likely that we would be giving them an excuse to rebel. While we fight the Ottomans and God knows who else, the Empire could tear itself apart. I tell you now, Kolowrat, if this all goes wrong it will be the end of you. I will see to it personally. Now get out of my sight!"

Kolowrat stood and left the Chancellor's office without another word. Once out of Metternich's presence, a grim smile came to his face and he said in almost a whisper, "If you seek to challenge me, Chancellor, we shall see whom it will be the end of."

Last edited:
Ooh.. Intrigue, power struggle and a Europe filled with tension.. Very interesting indeed..

And pawing on the Ottomans, during the Egyptian war.. Bold move, but potentially very beneficial.. :)

Splendid update, as always.. :)

Why should Austria fear Britain or France?
Balkans are destined to be white. ;)

The Balkans aren't destined to be white, the Balkans are white!

The Balkans have been, and always will be Austrian! :p
Another fantastic update!

Doge Robert: With the Ottomans already being pressed hard by the Egyptians, I figured that a quick campaign against them was possible. My only worry is whether or not any other nations join in the fun on the wrong side.

Enewald: Indeed they are!

volksmarschall: Thanks. Yes, it is time to drive the Ottomans from Austrian "territory".

Even if Kolowrat is right and the Austrians can obtain extra lands in the Balkans at little cost, they will rue it later on - the Russians and Ottomans will hate them, the French and British will be hostile and the added populations will turn out to be a nice rebellious mix (undoubtedly aided by generous Russian subsidies).

Defensive and reactionary as Metternich's posture is, I think it is the correct one. But then, that wouldn't make for much of a fun story - cowering until the Italians/French and Prussians come kicking in the door. :) Oh, and I admit that there is the chance that you, as a god-like player with foreknowledge of the future, can do better than the historical Austrians. ;)

Even if Kolowrat is right and the Austrians can obtain extra lands in the Balkans at little cost, they will rue it later on - the Russians and Ottomans will hate them, the French and British will be hostile and the added populations will turn out to be a nice rebellious mix (undoubtedly aided by generous Russian subsidies).

Defensive and reactionary as Metternich's posture is, I think it is the correct one. But then, that wouldn't make for much of a fun story - cowering until the Italians/French and Prussians come kicking in the door. :) Oh, and I admit that there is the chance that you, as a god-like player with foreknowledge of the future, can do better than the historical Austrians. ;)

Well, I sure do hope that I do better than the historical Austrains!;)
Given the predicament that the Ottomans currently find themselves in, it's not a stretch to think that they can be beaten easily. However, Metternich's more cautious attitude could well be correct. It's not the Ottomans, but rather the other outside factors that Austria should be wary of. Of course, as you say, if I was concerned enough about those factors to sit on my hands and do nothing it wouldn't be as much fun! All in all, I suppose it's time to roll the dice.

Chapter VII

In a large, open square just on the outskirts of Belgrade a man stood on a makeshift podium and spoke to a gathering crowd. Armed men with hard faces surrounded the podium and grimly watched the crowd while the speaker's voice thundered over the square. On the outer edges of the crowd uniformed men looked on, their faces showing more and more alarm as the speaker attempted to whip the crowd into a frenzy. They decided to push through the crowd and put a stop to this and began to advance. They were too few, however, and the were unable to push through the mass of people in the square. Their commanding officer ordered them back away from the crowd and then spoke instructions into the ear of one of the men. The man nodded and raced off to carry the message.

A man stood in a building above the square watching the scene unfold. In his hands he held and old, weather beaten wide-brimmed hat that he turned round and round by sliding his fingers along the brim. His eyes followed the messenger running from the square for a moment before he let them drift back toward the wildly gesticulating speaker who was the center of attention. A small frown came to his lips. He turned away from the window and the scene below and faced the other man in the room with him. He was an unremarkable man save for the thick black mustache that drooped down on either side of his mouth. He had a habit of tugging on one end of it or another which appeared to be unconscious and was doing it now. He had told his partner more than once that he should shave it off in order to appear more anonymous, but the other man would hear nothing of it. It was an affectation from his army days and he would not give it up. He spoke to him a simple sentence, "It's time, Karl."

Karl nodded and picked up a small case at his feet. He walked over to a small table and the set the case on top of it. Opening it, he removed the contents and placed them on the table neatly. He let his eyes move over the items on the table and, satisfied that everything was in order, he set to work. As his expert hands went about their business he looked over his shoulder at the other man and saw that he was watching the square again. Karl knew him as Paul. He had heard him give many other names from time to time, but he had given his name as Paul when the two had met, so Karl assumed that it was his real name. He asked him, "Who is that down there anyway?"

Without bothering to turn his eyes from the square Paul answered, "Aleksandar Karađorđević." Karl grunted and turned back to his work. The name meant nothing to him. Sensing as much, Paul turned from the window with a slight smile on his face and said, "To his supporters he is the true Prince of Serbia." Karl's grunt was more appreciative this time and he asked, "Friend of ours?."

Paul shrugged and replied, "You could say that. Though he and his people have an unfortunate tendency not to do as they are told."

Paul turned back to the window in time to see soldiers spilling into the square. They fanned out in a thin semi-circle opposite the speaker and his supporters. And the crowd stuck in the middle , he thought. These soldiers were small in number, but they were surely only the beginning. Soon enough, Paul knew, they would surround the square. Aleksandar knew it too and he began exhorting the crowd to rally behind him. Paul could see at a glance that most would not. Already they were flinching away from the rifles of the soldiers despite their vast advantage in numbers. Only a small few seemed ready to join with Aleksandar's men against the soldiers. In an urgent tone he called out over his shoulder, "Hurry, Karl. There's not much time."

Karl slowly ambled over to the window, not at all impressed with his partner's sense of urgency. In his hands he held his finished project. Paul stepped away so that he could have all the room he needed. As Karl got ready to carry out his part in this, Paul crossed the room and sat heavily down into a chair. He was not much given to deep thought, but if he was he might have ruminated on the effects that he and his partner's actions would have on Europe. He might have marveled at how drastically one man can shape the history of the world. As it was, he was thinking about what to have for dinner when the rifle bucked against Karl's shoulder.

Paul jumped to his feet as Karl quickly moved from the window. He looked outside just as cries of "They've killed the Prince!" began rippling through the square. The crowd, now transformed into something more akin to a mob, surged against the line of soldiers. The terrified soldiers fired into the crowd and people fell. Shots came from the mob as well and soldiers toppled over. Within moments the soldiers were overwhelmed and the mob was spilling out of the square.

Paul turned to Karl and motioned that they should go. Karl gave the rifle a loving look before tossing it to the other side of the room and letting Paul usher him out. They burst outside into a scene of violence. The mob was growing and screaming for vengeance against the ruling family and their Ottoman masters. The two men began moving away from the mob as quickly as they could. They had to get out of the city. Tonight Belgrade would burn.

Last edited:
Nice hatchet job. :) So, the Austrians have set up the Serbs to tear themselves apart and take down the (already troubled) Ottomans with them. Very cunning and cynical, I approve of the calculating reasoning, even though I'm still concerned this war will not bring anything good for Austria.

Well, I've looked back at my earlier comment (three months ago!) about the illicit meeting on the Sava and I see now that I was utterly wrong. Ah, all the hypothesizing was fun while it lasted. I guess this means my worries about the outcome of the war will be similarly proven to be incorrect. ;)

I appreciate the little details about the shadowy operatives - the wide-brimmed hat, the droopy 'tache - that help tie them to the characters from the earlier post. Reading about those details didn't quite help me identify the characters immediately, but it jogged enough memories to check back on the earlier post and realize they were the same. Effective technique.

Now that the fire has jumped out of the frying pan, I'll look forward to see how the larger war that must now follow plays out.

Trouble in the Ottoman Serb state now, with the Crown Prince dead, and the mobs running wild in Belgrade, what are the Ottomans and Austrians planning next I wonder?

Perhaps a little bit of karma passed from the Austrians to the Serbs at this time being... and without doubt, an excellent update! I can't wait for more! ;)

Stuyvesant: Thanks. I'm glad you liked the post and the little details about the two operatives. Austria has created an incident in the Balkans. Will it play out the way that they want? Time will tell.

volksmarschall: Austria is definitely looking for a war with the Ottomans. Of course, you should always be careful what you wish for.

Enewald: All in good time.