• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Of course you did. ;)
Hardraade do something on accident? No, it's just like Spain. It was for a more dramatic victory later on. :D
Low blow?

Of course you did. ;)
Hardraade do something on accident? No, it's just like Spain. It was for a more dramatic victory later on. :D
Low blow?

Not a low blow at all because that is exactly what happened. I knew that I would need something to write abut for the fall of 1940 and so let myself be defeated by Spain. Yeah...... that's what happened.

An excellent first chapter ! 19th century love triangles are always so fun to deal with especially when it's a soldier having to go off to war to worry about XD

We'll see how this one pans out !

Haha. Sorry Hardraade, even I the (mostly) loyal fan enjoys to be a bit of a pain in the ass every once and a while.
So who are the Austrians going up against first? Italians? Russia? Some Balkan country that doesn't realise how warm the busum of the Emperor is? :D

canonized: Thanks. I know that most people want to read blood and guts style updates more than home front type ones, but I actually enjoying writing the "home" type updates more. I just hope that everyone is willing to go along until we get back to the battlefield.

Kampf_Machen: I'm going to keep my opponent or opponents in the war that we saw Artur fighting to myself for now. I will only say that it is no small-scale conflict that I am involved in.

The next chapter will be up tomorrow

Last edited:
Chapter II

The sun was a red ball sinking off to the west by the time that Johann returned to the farm. The farmhouse in which he had lived all his life was a simple home that had been occupied by generations of his family, though the additions that had been made to it over the years likely caused it to little resemble the original structure.

All around the farmhouse stretched the plot of land he and his father worked all week long with the exception of Sunday. His family's holdings were not large, but they were not trifling either. Plenty of families in the area made do with less. Then, of course, there were those who had far more- the Huber family coming to mind. The Hubers, like many rich peasant families throughout the empire had risen to their present state thanks to Emperor Joseph II and his agricultural reforms. He had freed the empire's peasant class from a state a serfdom, but had at the same time protected their right to the land by decreeing that the land that they owned could only be transferred among their own class. In short, the nobility could not own peasant land and if a farmer wanted to sell out, he had to sell to another farmer. The Huber family, already very successful at that time, had quickly bought up the land of their poorer neighbors and the family was now as rich or richer than some nobles. Johann often wondered if he could ever work hard enough and save enough to be as rich as they were. The answer he usually came up with was: probably not.

As Johann approached the front door to the farmhouse he found his sister sitting on the edge of the porch with her legs extended down the few stairs leading up. He stopped in front of her, put his hands on his hips and said, "Don't let Mother catch you doing that. If you dirty your Sunday dress she'll have a fit."

Alise gave him and annoyed look, but climbed to her feet and anxiously checked her dress for stains. Satisfied that there were none, she turned her attention to her brother and asked, "Catch any fish today?"

Johann held empty hands out to either side of him and replied, "Does it look like I caught any fish?"

Alise sniffed, folded her arms across her chest and said, "I was just asking. If I had known that you were going to be so irritable about it, I wouldn't have bothered."

"Me? Irritable?", asked Johann. At her nod to the affirmative he said, "This from the person who threw a tantrum at church."

Anger flashed in her eyes for a moment before she put her head down as if embarrassed and said, "I'm sorry. I must have made such a fool of myself. I'm sure that you and Artur had a big laugh about it later."

"No, Alise, we didn't.", said Johann in what he hoped was a reassuring voice. "In fact, Artur didn't even mention it. All he really talked about was-"

Alise interrupted him by saying in a voice dripping with venom, "Let me guess: Elsa Huber."

Johann nodded and asked, "What is your problem with her anyway?"

"I don't have a problem with Elsa.", replied Alise. "I just don't like her."

Johann snickered and shook his head. Alise and Elsa had very little interaction with one another and he couldn't imagine what could have caused such dislike, especially on the part of his sister who usually seemed to like everybody. Slowly, though, some things began coming together. No one had ever accused Johann Bauer of being a genius, but no one had ever accused him of being slow either. He locked his eyes onto his sister's and asked, "You not liking her and that little fit at the church wouldn't have something to do with Artur, would it?"

Alise's mouth dropped open and she looked as if she couldn't have been more surprised if he had slapped her. With a visible effort she collected herself and replied, "I don't know. Maybe. I...I spend all week thinking about talking to him after church on Sunday and when I do all I hear about is Elsa Huber. It makes me feel so angry."

Hearing his sister say that she spent her week thinking about his best friend made Johann feel a bit uncomfortable to say the least and he coughed nervously into his hand. His sister seemed to be waiting for him to say something and he finally advised, "Maybe you should talk to Mother about this."

"She'll just tell me that I'm acting childish. Her and Father treat me like I'm still a little kid."

"You are a little kid, Alise."

Anger twisted up her features and she leaned in close so that she could shout without being heard inside, "I'm not a kid anymore, Johann! I'm more than sixteen years old now. Mother was my age when she got married."

"Married?", Johann cried out in shock. "Are you telling me that you've thought of marrying Artur?"

Alise took a step back and began stammering, "I...well... Maybe I have. So what?"

Johann could think of no way to reply to that. He looked at her closely and perhaps really saw her for the first time. Like he did, she had their father's brown hair and eyes, though both were of a softer shade in her case. That was, however, the extent of her resemblance to him. Her features she got from their mother, and though he found it very hard to admit, she was an attractive young woman. For the first time he asked himself how long it would be before boys from town came sniffing around the farm after his sister, and how he would feel if one of them was Artur. The only answers he could come up with were all too soon to the first one, and that he wasn't sure to the second.

Alise was looking at him as if expecting some kind of reply, but he was saved from having to make further comment by his father who opened the front door and said, "Come on inside you two. Your Mother says that dinner is ready."

Alise quickly turned to obey and followed their father inside. Johann remained outside, still wrestling with some of the things that his conversation with Alise had dredged up. He knew that this was going to bother him for some time and he didn't know what to do about it. Normally, when he had a problem, he would just talk to Artur about it, but how could he do that now that Artur was part of the problem? Finally, not wanted to earn a scolding for failing to come to the table promptly, he climbed the steps and went inside. He would have to resolve this some other time.

Great work! If only Kaiser Joseph II reigned longer than he did. He was the most enlightened of the Habsburg monarchs, and in my personal opinion could have done great good for the many minorities in the empire as he was already trying to do. It would've been interesting to see him around during the rise of Napoleon, just to see what he would've done. Anyways, fantastic work.

I think Johann is going to grow jealous of Artur now that Alise seems to like him more than himself. :p

Poor Alise - Artur doesn't seem interested in her and even if he was, I doubt that his family would let him get involved with a girl below hisr own standing...

I wonder what will happen to lead to the scenes from the prologue. With everything we're learning about Artur and his social background, he doesn't look like an obvious candidate for the army. Especially not to be a soldier (officer, maybe - but he clearly isn't). And from his actions in the prologue, he also doesn't seem to be the natural type for the army. So what chain of events will lead a well-off son from a well-off burgher family to end up in the midst of a battlefield? I fear there will be sad developments before we (and Artur) end up on that field again.

Aye, I agree with Enewald. War first, marriage second! No point in leaving a newly-wed widow to mourn back at home.

longlee: You could be right. We know Artur at least goes off to war. His motivations will be revealed later.

volksmarschall: It would indeed have been interesting to see what Joseph II would have been able to do with the empire had he reigned a bit longer. He had a lot of ideas that were progressive at the time and may have helped alleviate the internal strife that plagued the empire.

Stuyvesant: Given everything about the situation, Alise should probably try to focus her attentions elsewhere. At this stage in the game Artur is certainly giving no consideration to joining the army. How and why does he end up doing so? Stay tuned.

Enewald: Indeed! I don't know how much I'll be trying everyone's patience by staying away from the battlefield and I'll try to get back there. There's still some more background to go over though.

Kampf_Machen: Why is everybody being such warmongers?

Last edited:
Oh incidents like that are so awkward... poor old Johann doesn't know what trouble he is getting into. Still interested to see how this takes Artur, and possibly Johann, into war. To get away from Alise? :D

Hmm , somehow I have this feeling that this kind of awkwardness between the two men will have consequences in the war to come . Just a hunch . Great chapter XD

Hardraade: ...I actually enjoying writing the "home" type updates more.

bravo ! ! not only are they very good, i like to read them ! ! :cool:

Hardraade:
..."...I spend all week thinking about talking to him after church on Sunday..."

it seems to me that Alise might be wise to take up fishing ! ! :D

Hardraade:
... "I'm not a kid anymore, Johann!"

and at 16 she definitely is NOT a kid, anymore ! ! ;)

Hardraade: ...The only answers he could come up with were all too soon to the first one, and that he wasn't sure to the second.

interesting. i can remember when i wanted my best friend to marry my little sister. naturally, it did not happen... :rolleyes:

magnificent update ! !
:cool:

robou: Awkward indeed. Johann might not necessarily be getting into any trouble. As far as we know, Artur is the only one dodging bullets.

canonized: Thanks. The relationship between the two men will probably undergo some kind of change given the new information that Johann has acquired.

GhostWriter: Good to hear that someone doesn't mind the slower paced updates. Maybe she should take up fishing. She'd get to hang out with at least.

Enewald: Ah... good point.:D I can certainly understand why everyone would be interested in a return to the battlefield, and I will be moving things back in that direction eventually. First we have a few more looks at life in Liezen to go as well as a trip or two to the halls of power in Vienna.

Hardraade, we're all war-mongerers because we all enjoy a wee bit o' combat. Why else play a game that spans an era of some vicious war and superb feats of diplomacy?

Hardraade, we're all war-mongerers because we all enjoy a wee bit o' combat. Why else play a game that spans an era of some vicious war and superb feats of diplomacy?

Believe me, I understand perfectly why everyone is anxious for some combat. I just hope that you all can wait a bit longer.

Can dooooo. :)