A few thoughts about the recent dev diary responses

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you for these well-put words!

For me, you have hit the nail in expressing the sentiments that the seeming - and astounding in itself - change in game development philosophy of the HoI series has incited in my very self.

If i had wanted CK3 or any other fantasy meme stuff, i would have bought it. If HoI - blessed with a wealthy and well-respected tradition as well as a dedicated fan base- is about to turn into "CK3 in a nutshell" and / or some odd fantasy meme stuff it may be due time to move along and look out for something else for some people, including myself.

To me, this admittedly would be sad after more than 15 years of being a stark fan of this specific kind of game and the series in particular.

Please devs, reconsider what you are actually about to do to this game series.
Don't insult CK 3 :( It's a great game. Different than HoI IV, but no doubt great :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
I myself apologize if I sounded rude both this and previous diary, to me HOI4 is the game that I go to to turn off and relax and with +1000 hours in it, naturally I do really care about it.

However, not justifying any behavior but Meka to me seemed to joke at times with our opinions a little too much instead of addressing them.

For example when asking him why Poles get a 15 percent bonus in industry as a soon to be killed off minor, why does Germany's MEFO in return give em only 5. instead of addressing this clear imballance (at least from my POV) he proceeded to say "if you lose to Poland as Germany, that's your problem."
Because quite frankly the extra -10% for 2 yrs over MEFO will matter far less since the Polish economy in nowhere near the scale of Germany.

I'm pretty sure a fair few people tried to explain to you how consumer goods work and that Poland maybe having 1 or 2 extra available CIVs for 2 years isn't suddenly gonna make their economy rival Germany.

Not to mention Germany can be on war economy almost immediately unlike Poland which I'm pretty sure reduces Germany's consumer goods use far more compared to Poland being stuck in partial mob at best once they have enough war support

• 3Like
Reactions:
Don't insult CK 3 :( It's a great game. Different than HoI IV, but no doubt great :)
Not my intention - sry if you got that wrong.

I am glad to read that we both consider CK series and HoI series being different cups of tea.

I think that meddling those different game types does no good and won't end in a good manner.

Reactions:
Because quite frankly the extra -10% for 2 yrs over MEFO will matter far less since the Polish economy in nowhere near the scale of Germany.

I'm pretty sure a fair few people tried to explain to you how consumer goods work and that Poland maybe having 1 or 2 extra available CIVs for 2 years isn't suddenly gonna make their economy rival Germany
I very well know how the consumer goods works, thank you for re-educating everyone.

It's the question of simple more buffs for the minor that's supposed to die and more debuff for the one country that's almost the center of any action taking place in Europe.

Reactions:
I very well know how the consumer goods works, thank you for re-educating everyone.

It's the question of simple more buffs for the minor that's supposed to die and more debuff for the one country that's almost the center of any action taking place in Europe.
What do you mean by debuffs? If its accurate for a country to have debuffs in the game, then they should have it, HoI4 is all about taking countries that were or were not completely broken and do your best with them, that being said Polish National Defense Fund is never going to affect your usual Germany game to a point where it's completely impossible to play, Poland is going to get a few extta factories but that's literally all.

• 8Like
Reactions:

You are comparing apples and oranges. :)

The Polish buff runs out and is supposed to help Poland in a race to defend its borders. MEFO bills gives other bonuses than just consumer goods reduction and is supposed to help Germany ratchet up its military industry. If you as a player are playing Poland I am pretty sure that you "are not just supposed to die".

You cant just take spirit in isolation and compare it to another spirit in isolation. Its like how a 10% recruitable population works very differently depending on a country's manpower pool. You wouldn't say that if the US got a 10% recruitable manpower spirit and Sweden got a 20% recruitable manpower spirit and now suddenly Sweden is OP because of it would you?

• 10Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
You are comparing apples and oranges. :)

The Polish buff runs out and is supposed to help Poland in a race to defend its borders. MEFO bills gives other bonuses than just consumer goods reduction and is supposed to help Germany ratchet up its military industry. If you as a player are playing Poland I am pretty sure that you "are not just supposed to die".

You cant just take spirit in isolation and compare it to another spirit in isolation. Its like how a 10% recruitable population works very differently depending on a country's manpower pool. You wouldn't say that if the US got a 10% recruitable manpower spirit and Sweden got a 20% recruitable manpower spirit and now suddenly Sweden is OP because of it would you?
I never claimed the two to be identical in effect if memory serves me correctly.

My problem is on the strategic level of thinking of it all, in a WW2 game, Germany is the centerpiece of everything, you don't purposelly nerf it because Poland, a victim in WW2 get to stand a chance.

I used to like your original was it 20 or 25 percent? Implementation of MEFO bills, but then the usual suspects all complained about how historically inaccurate that buff was for Germany industrialy, yet the same people want ahistorical buffs for their minors.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah people are way too emotional and nationalistic about how their country is represented in HOI 4 lol... I remember with the last DLC an army of turks going crazy about the soldier having a beard in the trailer...

That's not to say I don't agree with the Habsburg Polish King and the off-map nuclear reactor though. Especially with the Habsburg path it could add some very interesting interactions if Austria-Hungary also gets restored.

• 11Like
Reactions:
Hmmmm, I understand that some people can be very blunt and rude but there are some serious problems with this tree. I am confused about what the hoi4 community wants. There are some really weird "fantasy" paths we see in this tree that doesn't sit well with a lot of people because they have very little Historical basis. Especially the Bermontian Cossack King and the Romanian Polish Union. They are just so strange.

But I think the divide falls into what people want from Hoi4. Some prefer memey paths (Byzantium, Polish Lithuania Commonwealth) to gain giant man pools and conquer the world and others want some grounded politics to guide the alt-history. There isn't anything wrong with those 2 ideas per se, and Pdx clearly caters towards the former. Not to mention giving the Poles Nuclear weapons which takes precedent over the Warsaw uprising. is also such a weird design decision.

I myself have little interest in this tree as it is very strange. I have never been the one to want to conquer the world in hoi4. But I digress. I and many others would love to see alt history be more than click this focus to get this wacky outcome.

• 11Like
Reactions:
All I'm going to say here is that I think the crazy stuff should be left to the crazy trees. Yes, that means I don't think Poland should get free nukes concocted out of thin air in a shadow realm. The government-in-exile tree is supposed to be the historical tree, right? Then it should be kept historical.

• 25Like
Reactions:
Hey podcat would you consider unpinning the malta dev diary? April is almost over and it might confuse some people since it's up there with the supply diary.

• 2Like
Reactions: