A few things about changes to Mongolia with NSB

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EriktheFarmer

Recruit
66 Badges
Apr 28, 2021
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
With the NSB DLC, Mongolia received some minor additions. Although these were very much needed (at least for me); they have quite a few problems with them. For example, the new two VPs added to Mongolia with NSB have 2 major problems:
1. The locations are way off. It is for some reason located in Khovsgol province shown in pic instead of its correct location (shown in pic).
2. The two cities of Darkhan and Erdenet added didn't exist at the time: Darkhan was founded in 1961, and Erdenet was founded in 1974.
If Devs want to add VPs in Mongolia, they should add the cities circled in red in the pic; especially Khovd and Baruun-Urt, as these cities were important regional centers that existed since the 17th century.
provinces-of-mongolia-map.png
Also, I'd like to request a change to state borders. The new states are very much welcome, but their borders are nonsensical, ahistorical, and ugly. Modern provincial borders were drawn in the 1930s, so drawing the state borders around them would be more accurate. Here I show the borders which I believe would be more historical and less ugly.
provinces-of-mongolia-map - Copy.png
In addition, the leader of Mongolia, Anandyn Amar in 1936 was purged in 1939, and was replaced by Khorloogiin Choibalsan. Choibalsan was in fact the de facto leader of Mongolia in 1936 so he is better represented as the leader of Mongolia. Here's a period-accurate photo.

Choibalsan.jpg

Lastly, could you guys add lakes Khuvsgul, Buir (Hulunbuir), and Uvs please, or any of the lakes circled in the pic? These lakes are some of the larger lakes in Asia, bigger than lake Contanz and many other lakes in Europe, yet for some absurd reason are cut from both EU IV and HOI IV despite being in Vic II. Hopefully, these lakes are added in Vic III.
lakes.jpg

Last edited:
  • 25Like
Reactions:
You're leaving out the most egregious issue: Mongolia was not an independent state; its foreign and domestic policy and economy were controlled by the Soviet Union. Its existence was not even diplomatically recognized by the rest of the world until after WW2. In some cases, not until LONG afterwards. The United States, for example, did not recognize Mongolia until 1987.

It should be represented as a Soviet satellite state.

• 3Like
Reactions:
You're leaving out the most egregious issue: Mongolia was not an independent state; its foreign and domestic policy and economy were controlled by the Soviet Union. Its existence was not even diplomatically recognized by the rest of the world until after WW2. In some cases, not until LONG afterwards. The United States, for example, did not recognize Mongolia until 1987.

So should Tuva. I think its intentional though because there is no way the devs don't already know about this.

Reactions:
So should Tuva. I think its intentional though because there is no way the devs don't already know about this.

One thing HOI4 doesn't really represent at the moment is the tendency for powerful nations within a faction to effectively control the governments of everyone else in that faction, regardless of whether they were nominally independent. I guess because it would make playing smaller nations less fun. Joining the Axis or Comintern as smaller country and immediately having Germany or the Soviets send a bunch of political and military advisors who effectively end up running the place would be pretty annoying.

But regardless, in 1936 I think we can assume that any nation in or joining the Comintern (other than possibly the US and other majors who flip to communist) is effectively under some degree of Soviet influence. Similarly with Germany and the Axis.

• 6Like
Reactions:
We need Ghengis Khan II now! And we need to reanimate Roman von Ungern-Sternberg!
I can see it now.
New DLC: Hearts of Rust.
Play as reanimated versions of your favorite historical characters.
  • Destroy the steppes with the Mad Baron, Roman von Ungern-Sternberg.
  • Have Edward refuse to abdicate so the British Government will be forced to revive George V.
  • Bring the Kingfish, Huey Long, back to life and declare war on the Swiss to share the Swiss Gold.
  • New Soldier Designer. Spend "Biological Experience" to rapidly evolve your soldiers. You can remove a soldier's heart for reduced reliability. Replace it with Iron for a very easy achievement.
One thing HOI4 doesn't really represent at the moment is the tendency for powerful nations within a faction to effectively control the governments of everyone else in that faction, regardless of whether they were nominally independent. I guess because it would make playing smaller nations less fun. Joining the Axis or Comintern as smaller country and immediately having Germany or the Soviets send a bunch of political and military advisors who effectively end up running the place would be pretty annoying.
Less "Doesn't Really" and more "Does it very inconsistently."
Republican Spain if they sell their soul to Stalin, for example, becomes a puppet. Yet, Mongolia isn't a puppet?

• 5Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:

The situation was extremely complicated. In many ways we were, in many ways we weren't. Only in 1938-1939 when Mongolian political leaders were purged as an extension of the Great Purge did Mongolia could be truly called a satellite; even then, our leaders were awfully willful, with attempts to go against Stalin's wishes and unify Inner Mongolian People's Republic with Mongolia and whatnot.