• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lithuanian2

First Lieutenant
10 Badges
Dec 27, 2007
  • Diplomacy
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • For The Glory
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
Hello, I have encountered a few problems and a few possible problems with the game. I have the latest beta patch of december 29 installed. Installed on GOG 1.2. Playing with AGCEEP mod.

First of all, flags and shields of provinces that I do not have field of view in sometimes appear blank OR they appear... just different from provinces that I do see of the same country.
So for example playing as Lithuania I see half of Polish provinces with one flag and the other half with a different (but also Polish!) flag. Dafuq.

Then another small thingy: For the Glory vanilla (without mods) has a huge number of small countries I could release as Lithuania: Polotsk, Volynia, Kiev, etc. It's a really great idea but with AGCEEP I cannot release a single country as Lithuania. Why was this removed in the mod? Perhaps i have installed something incorrectly?? Anyhow, it just seems like it'd be really useful to be able to release a couple Russian countries so they could hold those useless russian provinces for me.
Speaking of Russian countries however: whomever wrote those new countries (like polotsk, Kiev etc) to be released ( in the game without mods ) was lazy, because they made all these countries Russian culture. so we have Kiev country which was 4 out of 5 of their provinces Ruthenian, but the country itself is Russian..? Polotsk the same. Someone must have copy-pasted out of haste.

Another small issue but I guess up to debate: Livland has ugric culture... Just sounds wrong to me.

Reactions:
Hello, I have encountered a few problems and a few possible problems with the game. I have the latest beta patch of december 29 installed. Installed on GOG 1.2. Playing with AGCEEP mod.

Did you update AGCEEP to the last patch too?
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/version-1-59b4-is-up.509577/
I ask just in case as some people are unaware that updating FtG does not automatically update AGCEEP.

First of all, flags and shields of provinces that I do not have field of view in sometimes appear blank OR they appear... just different from provinces that I do see of the same country.
So for example playing as Lithuania I see half of Polish provinces with one flag and the other half with a different (but also Polish!) flag. Dafuq.

The game and the mods use several different sets of shields and flags (e.g. "enhanced", "glory", "classic"). While AGCEEP used to support several complete sets in the past when a lot of people were actively modding, the last versions only fully support the "enhanced" set. So if you play AGCEEP make sure at the start to select the enhanced shield set - or make the game automatically only use that set by changing the settings for AGCEEP in the file mod_AGCEEP.txt in the mods folder:
e.g. for AGCEEP
Code:
AGCEEP

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mod = {
   name = "AGCEEP"
   dir = "AGCEEP"
   language = { "english" }
   shields = { "enhanced" }
   remark = "AGCEEP 1.59b4"
}

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

while e.g. Plus Vltra uses "glory" shields:

Code:
Plvs Vltra

mod = {
   name = "Plvs Vltra"
   dir = "Plvs_Vltra"
   language = { "english" }
   shields = { "glory" }
   remark = "Version 1.3.1"
}

The problem has already been discuseed, e.g. here:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/issue-with-glory-shields.784836/

For future questions and remarks about mods you should use the mod subforum
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?forums/ftg-user-modifications.479/

Then another small thingy: For the Glory vanilla (without mods) has a huge number of small countries I could release as Lithuania: Polotsk, Volynia, Kiev, etc. It's a really great idea but with AGCEEP I cannot release a single country as Lithuania. Why was this removed in the mod? Perhaps i have installed something incorrectly??

AGCEEP does not try to be as the vanilla game. For example it has a lot (A LOT!) more events and it tries to steer the game to a historical course of events. Historically Lithuania did not splinter into tiny states but was absorbed into the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. So AGCEEP (trying to be historical) has no use of those minor countries that historically did not exist during the games timeframe.

Anyhow, it just seems like it'd be really useful to be able to release a couple Russian countries so they could hold those useless russian provinces for me.

Useless? That’s wrong for several reasons.
Historically Lithuania was in a huge competition with Muscovy in uniting all russian lands. And for the first part of the games timeframe Lithuania seemed to be winning and becoming the Grand Duke of Russia instead of Muscovy.
In gameterms Lithuania, if it manages to beat Muscovy in conquering the russian provinces, can become RUSSIA itself. AGCEEP has several events where countries can form other countries so that the historically important countries (e.g. Russia) do not simply vanish if some ahistorically successful country (e.g. Lithuania) manages to conquer their lands.

Speaking of Russian countries however: whomever wrote those new countries (like polotsk, Kiev etc) to be released ( in the game without mods ) was lazy, because they made all these countries Russian culture. so we have Kiev country which was 4 out of 5 of their provinces Ruthenian, but the country itself is Russian..? Polotsk the same. Someone must have copy-pasted out of haste.

Another small issue but I guess up to debate: Livland has ugric culture... Just sounds wrong to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livonians
The Livonians are closely related to the Estonians and the finnish. And with Sweden usually having swedish and ugric culture (to be able to rule Finland as they historically did) means that they can rule in baltics too (as they historically tried).

Reactions:
Thank you for the reply! The idea to update the mod did not cross my mind unfortunately, as it came with the game officially (GOG) I thought perhaps it's supported by patches as well. Though I admit I was surprised there was no "mods" folder in 1.3 update. It was hard for me to believe nothing in the mod itself were updated. Will update the mod then :)

About the splinter countries - I understand and respect the explanation, though what I meant by Russian provinces being useless is that they produce very low taxes + as Russian culture is not accepted by Lithuania, they are very inefficient + different religion. And as we know more provinces = harder stability and technology pursuing. So I would very much like to release a couple Russian states to manage those provinces for me and pay me taxes and support me in war. I agree it is most likely ahistorical and I don't know just how much flexibility this mod has, but in a way you could say that's exactly how Lithuania was back in those days (though it could be considered both ways) because Lithuania wasn't ruled by one grand duke alone, there were many local rules in every region as well. Some controlling small provinces, some vast lands competing with the grand duke himself. So releasing Russian subjects wouldn't be as ahistorical as it sounds, they would still be vassals of Lithuania - isn't that what those regions were? Oh and not interested in forming Russia, though I really like the thoughtful idea of allowing other countries to form it for historical reasons! I love small countries though and as Lithuania would seek not to rule Russia, but to keep it divided so they wouldn't be too much of a threat while I focus on the baltics.

I understand the logic behind Sweden and ugric culture in Livland, however why does Sweden deserve better conditions in ruling Livland? Were they really that accepted there when they were there? They didn't have welfare back then and in fact were quite medieval just like other countries :D
Also doesn't making Livland ugric completely eliminate baltic people, Latgalians/Latvians/curonians from their historical region? I mean, ugric is already represented in Estonia province in that region. Latvian/baltic cultures have simply vanished in this game.

Reactions:
Thank you for the reply! The idea to update the mod did not cross my mind unfortunately, as it came with the game officially (GOG) I thought perhaps it's supported by patches as well. Though I admit I was surprised there was no "mods" folder in 1.3 update. It was hard for me to believe nothing in the mod itself were updated. Will update the mod then :)

To avoid possible problems you should start a new game after updating (or finish your current game before updating). Saved games of older versions might cause problems if loaded in a newer version of the game or mod.

About the splinter countries - I understand and respect the explanation, though what I meant by Russian provinces being useless is that they produce very low taxes + as Russian culture is not accepted by Lithuania, they are very inefficient + different religion.

If you conquer all russian provinces and become Russia you gain russian culture.
If you send missionaries and convert the orthodox province to catholic you lose the -30% religion penalty.
A lot of the old FAQ for EU2 is still valid for FtG:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/missionary-conversion-faq-v1-08.157982/

However even provinces that are either wrong-culture or wrong-religion still mean a profit for your country (e.g. grain provinces that raise your manpower).
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/economy-faq-for-1-09.238483/
Especially if your state grows beyond a certain size.

And as we know more provinces = harder stability and technology pursuing.

If you have problems with stability you can build Fine Arts Manufactories and should never declare a war without a casus belli.

So I would very much like to release a couple Russian states to manage those provinces
for me and pay me taxes and support me in war.

Then perhaps playing Lithuania in AGCEEP is not the experience you seek. Especially as the lithuanian Grand Dukes did not see the russians as foreign subjects to be ruled by russian vassals, but as his own subjects and himself as the Grand Duke of Ruthenia too. Lithuania should look like this and not like a patchwork carpet of vassals:
Lithuanian_state_in_13-15th_centuries-de.svg

I agree it is most likely ahistorical and I don't know just how much flexibility this mod has, but in a way you could say that's exactly how Lithuania was back in those days (though it could be considered both ways) because Lithuania wasn't ruled by one grand duke alone, there were many local rules in every region as well. Some controlling small provinces, some vast lands competing with the grand duke himself. So releasing Russian subjects wouldn't be as ahistorical as it sounds, they would still be vassals of Lithuania - isn't that what those regions were? Oh and not interested in forming Russia, though I really like the thoughtful idea of allowing other countries to form it for historical reasons! I love small countries though and as Lithuania would seek not to rule Russia, but to keep it divided so they wouldn't be too much of a threat while I focus on the baltics.

Any of the russian minors might form Russia. Once Russia forms you have a constant threat on your eastern border.

I understand the logic behind Sweden and ugric culture in Livland, however why does Sweden deserve better conditions in ruling Livland? Were they really that accepted there when they were there? They didn't have welfare back then and in fact were quite medieval just like other countries :D

In AGCEEP historical facts are the deciding factor to have a country have a culture. Sweden did historically rule parts of Livonia for 100+ years - so yes, Sweden deserves ugric culture to rule Finland and the northern baltic without cultural trouble.

Swedish_Empire_%281560-1815%29_en2.png

Also doesn't making Livland ugric completely eliminate baltic people, Latgalians/Latvians/curonians from their historical region? I mean, ugric is already represented in Estonia province in that region. Latvian/baltic cultures have simply vanished in this game.

In AGCEEP there are 5 provinces that have baltic provincial culture so they did not vanish. And they are in the area where the baltic languages actually were:
Baltic_Tribes_c_1200.svg

If you want to continue discussing anything about AGCEEP please continue in the AGCEEP mod subforum to keep it apart from discussions about the normal game:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?forums/agceep.480/

Reactions: