• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All citizens can vote. Not all citizens can run.

-Loredan

I apologise, signore, I must have misread the appropriate clause.

In any case, I wish to present the following addition to the Constitution:

The Eligibility and Restrictions Amendment

1. No organ within State or Federal governments may impose conditions for membership other than that the prospective candidate be enfranchised as per the Constitution.
  2. Any organs found to be acting in violation of this clause shall be prorogued until such time that the establishment of a replacement organ operating within the bounds of this clause may occur.

~ Várpaloti, Dr. Iur.

((So when you confirmed that the resolution restricted voting based on wealth... :p))

I apologise, signore, I must have misread the appropriate clause.

In any case, I wish to present the following addition to the Constitution:

~ Várpaloti, Dr. Iur.

((So when you confirmed that the resolution restricted voting based on wealth... :p))
Gabriele sighs.

Venice opposes this. Prevailing democratic foolish doesn't justify forcing the Venetian people to allow the rabble to invade their government and overturn their centuries-old institutions.

-Gabriele Loredan

Romania opposes this new bill as well. The frank abuse of the Venetian State by the politicians in Vienna is sad and slightly pathetic.

~ Conta din Bihor, Councilor Alexandru Vladimir Drăculeşti, Victor of the West.

The Kingdom of Silesia joins Romania and Venice in their just protest. Our right to define our self-governance, enshrined in the new Constitution, as well as our traditions, must be respected. We do not need even more interference from the federal government and further attempts to destroy our traditions and cultural indentity, endorsed by our people.

- Graf Peter von der Pahlen, Chancellor of Silesia

The Federal Armed Forces, 1876 Presidential Elections

tsjou.png

The Federal Army

LocationStrength (current)Strength (fully reinforced)InfantryGuardsEngineers CavalryArtilleryRegiments not reinforcingRegiments reinforcing slowly
Republican National Guard
1Republican National GuardEisenstadt57000570000922614
2Army of the ReserveBudapest24000240003011300
Total81000810003933914
Western Front
3Danubian Expeditionary ForcePola33000330008021001
46th Army (Italian Army of the Danube)Milan60000600008018311
Total930009300016039312
Northern Front
52nd Army (Army of Germany)Prague48000480008014312
63rd Army (Grand Army of the FederationPrzemysl48000480008014303
74th Army (Legion of the Danube)Ternopil45000450008013332
Total141000141000240311947
Southern Front
81st ArmyDubrovnik48000480008014311
95th ArmyGalati42000420008014100
107th ArmyResicabánya48000480008014301
11Albanian GuardTirana600060002000000
Total144000144000260312712
Mediterranean Front
12Tunisian Royal Guard, First DivisionSikasso279630001000000
13Tunisian Royal Guard, Second DivisionMourdiah262830001000000
14Tunisian Royal Guard, Third DivisionOdienne289530001000000
15Cretan GuardChania600060002000001
16Cypriot GuardLimassol300030001000000
17Suez GuardGarissa300030001000000
Total20319210007000001
GRAND TOTAL479319480000769123528716

Standing Armies not in being: The Naval Guard

Republican National Guard Commander: Gen. A.P.T. Georgescu
Western Front Commander: Gen. N. Donato
Northern Front Commander: Gen. S. Revenjo
Southern Front Commander: Gen. L. Kunze-Serbanescu
Mediterranean Front Commander: Civil administration

Regiment limit: 189
Regiments raised: 160
Regiments which can be raised: 40
Regiments raised in a General Mobilisation: 182
Types of regiment which can be raised: Irregular, Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery, Engineer, Guard, Dragoon
Army technology researched: Point Defence System, Machine Guns, Iron Breech-loaded Artillery, Military Plans, Army Decision Making

rf7uj.png

The Federal Navy

LocationStrengthMonitorsIroncladsCommerce RaidersSteam Transports
aBlue Star FleetSuez34.7%01600
bWhite Star FleetVenice100%0300
cRed Star FleetMelilla100%11000
dAdriatic Protection FleetChania100%00170
eFederal Transport SquadronPola100%00017
GRAND TOTAL86.94%11191717

Types of ship which can be built: Clipper Transport, Frigate, Man'o'war, Steamer Transport, Commerce Raider, Ironclad, Monitor
Navy technology researched: Battleship Column Doctrine (Raider Group Doctrine under research), Iron Steamers, Weapon Platforms, Alphabetic Flag Signaling, Naval Professionalism

Last edited:
Budget - 5th January 1876

15y7.png

((Whoa... Any particular reason why we suddenly indebted ourselves with the Russians? Are we going to fight them over that money?))
((If you look closely, that is the loans given tab. They are that indebt to us))

Allegations that the Federal government is being abusive, or interfering in states' cultural identities are absurd. The amendment tabled merely enshrines in our constitution the idea that, if a man can vote for an office, he can also run for or be appointed to that office.

Nonetheless, a small amendment is required in my eyes to ensure the bill does not disrupt things too greatly:

The Eligibility and Restrictions Amendment

1. No organ within State or Federal governments may impose conditions for membership other than that the prospective candidate be enfranchised as per the Constitution.
  2. Any organs found to be acting in violation of this clause shall be prorogued until such time that the establishment of a replacement organ operating within the bounds of this clause may occur.
  3. All organs currently individually accounted for in the Constitution are exempt from the conditions of this bill.

~ Várpaloti, Dr. Iur.

Allegations that the Federal government is being abusive, or interfering in states' cultural identities are absurd. The amendment tabled merely enshrines in our constitution the idea that, if a man can vote for an office, he can also run for or be appointed to that office.

Nonetheless, a small amendment is required in my eyes to ensure the bill does not disrupt things too greatly:

~ Várpaloti, Dr. Iur.

I concur with the motion that the Courts should decide on this matter. Let our judicial system handle this and determine whether this is an "abuse" by Vienna or a legitimate concern.

- Gabriel Soukup-Valenta

For his policies and personal character, I shall sponsor Herr Donato's campaign for the betterment of all Danubia.

- Minister Lilic

It looks like I missed the exact date in the general lull, but...

r49r.jpg

We have a fine little community here, even if some of you do suck :happy: This is a great game, with an excellent history and it's been a lot of fun so far. To another year!

I was on convalescent leave lately, and I had returned from my respite to be quite surprised with my appointment. I should thank those who saw fit to appoint me to such a position, and it is my hope that I can live up to and exceed those expectations that have been placed upon me. Thank you once again, and God bless you all.

S5Tw62B.png

(( Sorry for the long lack of activity, I lose track of what is happening in this AAR really easily with how fast it can move sometimes. Go to sleep on day and the next there's like a bajillion new posts. ))

I was on convalescent leave lately, and I had returned from my respite to be quite surprised with my appointment. I should thank those who saw fit to appoint me to such a position, and it is my hope that I can live up to and exceed those expectations that have been placed upon me. Thank you once again, and God bless you all.

S5Tw62B.png

(( Sorry for the long lack of activity, I lose track of what is happening in this AAR really easily with how fast it can move sometimes. Go to sleep on day and the next there's like a bajillion new posts. ))
((It's okay, wouldn't want it to interfere with that awesome pony AAR!)) I would like to confirm the join convention.

The A-DCP accepts any joint talks with the DPU, as we have expressed in the past. The right must be united in this coming battle, and I will do everything in my power to assist them.

I would also like to declare I am running for re-election of the A-DCP.

My policies are as goes,

Pro-Military
Secularism
Interventionism
Free Trade
Full-Citizenship

May this election be fruitful, and as always, prosperous for the people.

-Charles Jakopin, President of Slovenia

I must commend these policies, if the federal government is to reign supreme, let it grant as much freedom as possible. I hope that a worthwhile compromise will be reached in negotiations with the DPU.

- Zenel I, King of the Albanians

I must commend these policies, if the federal government is to reign supreme, let it grant as much freedom as possible. I hope that a worthwhile compromise will be reached in negotiations with the DPU.

- Zenel I, King of the Albanians
A rumor abounds about Spiros' un-official reply to these comments,
Yes, because Jakopin's policies are so different from mine...

The Conservative Republican Party of the Danube

Primary Doctrines of the CRP:

On the issue of Republicanism: The aftermath of the Constitutional Convention, the referendum, and the Rebellion of the Danubian Revolutionary Brigade, have all clarified the opinions of the general populace. The ideological ground of government must be progressive, abiding by the regulation enshrined in the Danubian Constitution. The constituent states of the Federation owe their survival to the democratic process, and must exist to protect the Republican interests of the population. Therefore, the Conservative-Republican Party will devote ourselves entirely to the words of the sacred document, respecting the existence of the Constitutional Monarchy, but actively promoting and stressing the importance of Republican delegation and election. We, as a entity, must reject enforced Republicanism as a product of 'Tyranny of the Majority' and instead, await the moment where the majorities of the Danube can unanimously agree that the abolition of the Kingly state is the preference for all citizens.

On the issue of Economy: The Danubian Federation is without doubt, a massive entity, compiled with diverse economies and varying needs for production and consumption. Adopting a single restrictive policy of Free Trade would be rather detrimental in times of market swings, and have a wide variety of effects on the individual economies of the states. It must be the responsibility of the Federal Government to regulate the influx and export of material directing from and towards the Federation, to prevent an uneven economic condition from the constituent states. However, over regulation is destructive and restrictive to the businesses of our nation, which allow the Federation and its populace to function properly. In order to find the proper balance, we must adopt a doctrine of moderate protectionism and limited regulation when such duties are not required. Nonetheless, the ability to hike import duties is a valuable asset in times of international crisis, be it through war or economic downturn. Additionally, the legislature and executive must actively assist the young industries of the Danube, no matter their purpose for production. Through subsidies of the private industry, we can accelerate the development of such industries, while simultaneously assisting the employer to recruit more workers and achieve greater success on the international market.

On the issue of Military and Foreign Matters: We are without doubt, tired and exhausted of the relentless conflicts that have engulfed all aspects of civilian life. There are those within this nation that perceive the path to peace is through pacifistic means, coupled with a weak-minded foreign office. This, is in every degree, faulty. The only means we may avoid conflict is by outmatching our opponents in peace time, for the nations of Europe will not force war upon a nation whom grasps the mightiest military prowess in the world, and that, is precisely what we must achieve. Our forces in arms must surpass all others on continental Europe, if not for a weapon of war, but for a diplomatic token during peace. Never again can the Great Powers of the world perceive the Danubian Federation as a ill nation, stricken with dissent, but rather as the firmest of metals, a institution that shall not dared to be wrestled, less all of the West feel its wrath. This is the mentality the Danubian Federation must embrace if it is to exist, and thrive. We must raddle our sabers, and not stop until the rest of Europe respects our territorial and cultural integrity.

On the issue of the States and Peoples: The constitution has clarified that the Federal Government bares the responsibility of legislative supremacy, replacing the confused conflict between State and Government. Through the new policies enshrined in the Constitution, the Danubian State must be led by a leader of firm action and decisive mentality, one that respects values of Conservative preference whilst securing, not decreasing, the authority of the Central Government. The steady collapse of the Danubian Monarchies has ended the excessive need for regulated states rights, instead, giving birth to doctrines that will bring the diverse cultures of the Danube into a more united existence, bounded by the flag and culture of the Danube. We may always be of discrete people's, but that matters not when the combined will of the Danubian people is required to protect the Federation, guided by the strong, conservative government in Vienna.

On the issue of Religion: While we respect the freedom of religion for all citizens, our primary theories on religious aspects must be direct with firm opposition to the new, satanic ideas defined as Atheism. United, we must stand against such a threat, and remain vigilant to protect the faith of the people, be them Catholic or Orthodox. Atheism is a direct contradiction to morale decency, which Secularist policies will only spur further. Therefore, all Christians must fight to protect the morale integrity and principles that are currently under threat from such movements.

I would like to announce my intent to run for re-election as President of Crete under the banner of the Federal Democratic Party.

In addition, I shall join with my Cretan compatriots in the Federal Council in voting Aye on the Appointment Act of 1874.

- Alexandros Petrakis, President of Crete

The two-round voting system

To vote, you will need to submit an ordered list of candidates in preference order, along with your character's state and culture. You can vote for as many or as few candidates as you want. You must bold your vote and it must be separated from any other text. For example:

First Preference: Miss Marple
Second Preference: Sherlock Holmes
Third Preference:
Fourth Preference:

[England - English]

Your votes are modelled onto the population in two ways - one by culture and once by state. Currently these two indicators carry fifty percent of the popular vote each. Votes from within states/cultures are split in proportion to the votes made by characters from within those states/cultures. There is no necessity to have the culture that corresponds to your state - there are, for example, a large number of South Germans in Bohemia.

You can win the election in one of two ways:
  • Win a majority of first choice votes.
  • Be placed first or second in a situation where no candidate gets a majority, at which point, votes for elimianted candidates from those who ranked you higher that your second round opponent will be transfered to your tally. The winner is the candidate with more votes.

Example

Suppose we have a population that can be characterised as follows;

%age %age per Vote
England7813
Scotland147
Wales88
English6416
Scottish2412
Welsh124
And player characters with the following attributes vote as follows;

The DoctorSherlock HolmesMiss MarpleArthur Dent
EnglandEnglish21
EnglandEnglish12
EnglandEnglish321
EnglandScottish1234
EnglandWelsh132
EnglandWelsh2134
ScotlandScottish12
ScotlandEnglish1
WalesWelsh4132
The first round takes into account only first choices; counting only for states we get the following breakdown:

Counting only for cultures, we get the following breakdown:

However, counting half and half for cultures and states we get the following:

At this point, the top two candidates got forward to the second round. The votes for eliminated candidates are then transferred to the higher rated of the remaining candidates, for example, the third person's votes are transferred to Sherlock Holmes, as he is the highest rated remaining candidate. Votes which rate neither of the remaining candidates are counted as abstentions.

Thus, the second round is as follows for states:
The DoctorSherlock Holmes
Counting only for cultures, we get the following breakdown:

However, counting half and half for cultures and states we get the following:

The highest rated remaining candidate (note there is no requirement for this candiate to get a strict majority of all voters) is elected.

It's as simple as that!

1874-1876 (Part 2) – Spiros: Money isn’t Everything

1874 was also important in Federal politics because it saw a grwat many changes domestically, not least the admission of a record 5 states into the Federation, including cities as far flung as Melilla and Suez, though the latter certainly caused some consternation within the Federal Electoral Commission who were unsure whether it counted as a Free City of no; the canal zone being comprised of three separate cities. The decision by the President to tour the new states, a mission that was scheduled to take three months, but was driven to nearer six by bad weather and other complications, was vilified by the Viennese press, though it was popular, in particular in the formerly Spanish city of Melilla where the sheer isolation had left many hankering after a defection to the mother country. The decision by his deputy, Francesco de Palma, to accompany the tour, rather than stand in for the absentee leader, was outright mocked. However, the most controversial applicant was the only one of the six who failed to gain entry, not because Congress voted against them, for there was considerable support for Tunisian statehood, but because no state could be admitted without a Republican style of government. A scheme was concocted by high ranking Tunisian politicians to circumvent the rule by temporarily altering the state’s constitution (before changing it back after admittance thanks to the territory’s perpetual right to its monarchy guaranteed by the Supreme Court even in the case where it became a state). For the Bey, however, this plot looked suspiciously like Treason; the conspirators were left to while away their remaining days in an African prison cell and the wave of anger, directed both at the Federation and the Bey himself, soon subsided, but the whole affair left the territory uneasy with itself and with its political position.

190A-Image%2BRapids.jpg

1. The President’s boat encounters stormy weather off the coast of Sicily, forcing a week-long delay on the passage to Melilla.​

Outside of Tunisia, Danubian players in Africa were moving from strength to strength. Colonial fervour enticed investors into the Dark Continent, even paying for the erection of railway tracks deep into the Sahara desert. In the Horn of Africa, the Suez Canal Company had more or less free reign, to great success transferring Somaliland into the hands of the Ministry of the Interior before the end of the year, then establishing a mission in Nairobi to push further into the continent, aided again by the support of the Suez Guard. For the company, however, this was not the big fish, though it was the one that was easier to sell in Vienna – the really big fish was the ports offered at the mouth of the Red Sea by their colonisation efforts in Djibouti, where progress on building the necessary infrastructure for government had deliberately been slowed down to allow for the legal situation of the region to be ironed out. In short, though there was no constitutional provision for the attachment of colonies to particular states, the Company, whose ownership of the Canal gave them limitless influence in the Free City of Suez, demanded the colony be a legal department of their state – the elections, and lobbying this entailed, seemed like the perfect time to call on the political classes to grant their wish. On the Western Coast, meanwhile, three companies was quickly becoming two, as though the West African Company was successful in forging a colony in the Gambia, it came considerably after the Adriatic and African Company announced success in Mauritania more or less concurrently with the success of the Federal Trading Corporation in Guniea; encircled and seen as behind, the West African Company simply couldn’t attract the investment it needed to launch any further schemes. The Adriatic and African Company, meanwhile, agreed to a deal whereby they would expand the colony of Algeria and play up the border disputes still ongoing with their primitive neighbours in return for preferential treatment and influence. The success of the colonisation of West Morocco to further expand the Mauritanian colony in November 1875 was counterbalanced by the extension of their mission Southeast towards Bamako. The Federal Trading Corporation kept pace by establishing two new regional directorates in Southern Mali and west of the Ivory Coast. Supposedly done under the supervision of the Ministry of the Interior, there was no officially backed horse in the race, though historians still debate whether this hurt the Federation’s efforts in this period or not. It also is worth noting that it became clear who the main foreign competition would be for control of the African Continent. Though the British were fighting a seemingly successful war against the Moroccans come election time, only the French could compete technologically with the Federation. With French success, this time overtly state-sponsored, in Senegal and the Niger Delta, further French missions were established as far apart as Ghana and Namibia, but mainly focussed in the Gulf of Guinea, into Southern Nigeria and Cameroon.

bvd8.png

2. A map of West Africa, showing the zone’s of influence of the three competing companies, circa 1876.​

European diplomacy also saw the Federation come into conflict with the French, who were increasingly cast as villains by the press and the public at large – indeed, some suggest that this ‘rhetoric of hate’ was going to aid the Federation in its progress, though the extremist certainly had negative effects for the nation, such as the emergence of (primarily nationalist) terrorist cells, such as the Serbian Black Hand Gang roving the streets of Illyria. The biggest sticking point was Italy, seen by both countries as strategically important for the security of their borders and for command of the Mediterranean - the competition for influence in Italy with fierce, and quite costly, with both nations investing thousands in the Italian railways despite the fact that they almost never ran on time. Indeed, reports started to emerge that taxpayer’s money was going into the hands of corrupt businessmen towards the end of 1874, after the Foreign Office had handed over more than £11,000 to Italian companies. Despite the controversy, diplomatic necessity forced further funds to be sent just to keep abreast of French efforts. To the East, events took a more violent turn, with the Greek government still claiming victory over the Bulgars after being forced to declare themselves bankrupt thanks to an anarcho-liberal revolution that installed a dictator in Vidin – the unexpected victors of the conflict being the Foreign Office, who achieved their aim of taking the Balkan state from the Russian Sphere of Influence without even lifting a finger. Reports suggested that the success of copycat rebels in the Ottoman Empire would succeed in overthrowing the Sultan to establish a dictatorship during 1876, freeing a much larger prize from British influence.

Domestically, though the invention of synthetic dyes and of the cracking process were certainly significant breakthroughs, they can’t really be said to have had a great effect on Danubian life – no reliable source of oil having been found anywhere in the world largely limited to potential manufacture of fuel while the first dye factory, established in the Bohemian foothills, had only just been commissioned at the time of the elections. The more important strand of day-to-day life was the increasing politicisation of the population, and in particular the working classes. Though 1875 saw the foundation of the Women’s Sufferage League, the leaflet campaigns they organised were a thankless task, with neither the ideological sophistication nor the political will in the population to carry through such reforms. Indeed, the movement was completely overshadowed by the other reform movements which had as much more strength in depth – roughly 3 million working age men (or roughly 20%) were signed up with one of the three most popular. Of these three - the Campaign for Old Age Security, the Universal Healthcare Movement and the Campaign for Unemployment Subsidies – it was the latter who made the biggest impact; the movement’s 1.8 million members held more or less weekly marches in Vienna and other important cities, and had established a permanent camp outside the Hofburg palace.

as9d.png

3. The Women’s Suffrage League marches through Vienna; members of the crowd were known to throw stones and shout abuse – of all the reform movements, Women’s Suffrage was the most callously treated by the population at large.​

---

Actions Required:

Nominations for the Presidency are now closed. The Appointment Act passes unopposed, but won’t come into effect yet because we don’t have a large enough population. Since no party’s primary is contested, I would like platforms ASAP from the four runners.

Status
Not open for further replies.