• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Statement from the President's office:
I hereby request that Jan Jaromir take the office of Minister of Interior. He has served this Federation for along time, and deserves this promotion. I can only hope he accepts.
Aetios Sprios
President of the Danubian Federation

I am honoured to take the office as Minister of the Interior. I hope to not let down our great Federation.

- Jan Jaromír, Minister of the Interior and Governor of Vojvodina

(( Wait, is Italy a puppet of the Federation, or is it a sphere or merely an ally? ))

1874-1876 (Part 1) – Spiros: Money, Money, Money

The second two years of the ‘72 term drew a fairly stark contrast to the first two, which had been notable for their intrinsic lack of governmental action and permeated by high profile battles in the Supreme Court: for two years, government became all about the money. With the quarter of million pounds worth of debt built up over the course of the Wallachian War still hanging over the treasury, Spiros’s chief aim was to put the nation back in the black by the election season; an ambition he achieved comfortably thanks to an unpopular, if effective, 5% increase on taxes across the board. Though under the new constitution, the explicit power for the control of government finances was left to Congress alone, there was little opposition in either house to a series of acts in the wake of the convention granting day-to-day controls to the Treasury, meaning the Presidency could act independently of Congress should they not wish to interfere – it seems likely that had Spiros been forced to enact his budgets in the legislature, he would have struggled to get the increase on the books, which was naturally unpopular thanks to putting the headline rate of tax at fairly staggering 65% (though the effective tax rate was almost certainly far lower thanks to the numerous exceptions and loopholes which already riddled the tax system and the unfortunate scale of tax evasion, that had been little curbed despite the best efforts of successive governments). A backbench proposal which would have forced the government to pass an annual budget in the National Assembly failed thanks to the scandalous “efficiency” measures taken by the Deputy who tabled the act – there was, however, no guarantee for whoever won the election that Congress would take quite such a relaxed attitude to fiscal issues in the future.

The President, meanwhile, was putting his new found wealth to good use. In August of the same year, £100,000 of debt was paid off by the Treasury, in the process wiping all of the bonds held by foreign nationals. The remainder of the bonds, which were distributed by the Bank of Austria (which had also been the Federal Central Bank since 1855), were paid off on New Year’s Eve, 1875, just five days before the nation went to the polls. Ironically, the vast majority of foreign debt held by the Bank of Austria was that of the Russians, who had been the main player in giving Sprios the debts he was now dealing with, and who now needed funds to bankroll their war to expand their territories in China, by taking yet more of the area south of Beijing. The new surplus of money was also fed back into spending programme; for example, the construction of the 2,000-mile long Dniester line (so named because it approximately followed the valley of the Dniester Rivier) at the behest of the Minister of War, as a replacement for the aging Severní Obranné Linie (‘Northern Line of Defence’) cost at least £150,000, even though in reality it was more of an addition to the pre-existing defences, and an expansion of the defence-system to the East into Moldavia. On top of this, several strategically important points, mainly important ports and coastal cities like Melilla and Dubrovnik, but also the entire length of the Suez Canal, got major investment in their naval facilities and their defences, both from sea and from land. In spite of all of this spending on infrastructure, with the Dniester Line being the largest single governmental project during the entire term, the most publicised of all was surely the replacement of the Red Star Fleet. Since the peace established at Berlin just eight years before, the Danubian naval supremacy that had kept British forces out of the Mediterranean had slipped slowly but steadily away: the original breed of Dalmat-class Ironclads were rusting into oblivion after having taking a beating in Gibraltar from which they would never really recover, yet they were to remain in service for the foreseeable future as guardians of Suez; while President Valenta’s legacy scheme to build 30 new Ironclads over a decade, the Naval Armament and Modernization Program of 1867, folded due to lack of funds just a year later despite never formally being shut down; furthermore, the fact that the technological advances made in the 1860’s had not been replicated in later decades, combined the lack of investment in the infrastructure since the Federation’s foundation, with most port facilities dating from the Habsburg-era if not older, left the Federation a relative backwater without the advantage that early implementation gave; and all the while, the nation’s competitors, not least the Russians, had been working at strengthening their hand in the region, as had been evidenced by plenty of defeats to Russian fleets in the Black Sea not so long before. In 1866, no-one believed the Federation had the naval strength to repel the Royal Navy for a sustained period, because the British had been more or less undisputed masters of the waves for a century. Less than a decade later, no-one believed the Federation had the naval strength to repel the Royal Navy for any period at all, even after the fearsome reputation of Her Majesty’s armed forces had been brutally shattered. To rectify this, President Spiros commissioned the construction of 11 new Monitors: small, shallow-draft ships that were neither extremely fast nor overpoweringly armed, but being both relatively manoeuvrable and strong in relation to their size, they were a good compromise between the cumbersome Ironclads that were the current mainstay of the Federal Navy and the Commerce Raiders that preceded them. The first such ship, DBS Csikós, was launched from Dubrovnik on Boxing Day 1864. She was named after the mounted horse-herdsman of Hungary due to, according to official sources, the record breaking speeds she achieved – this was later to be proved wrong, as the actual records from her sea trials were uncovered in 2001, stating her top speed was only 12 knots, less than that achieved by the now 15-year old Novara-class light ships of the Adriatic Protection Fleet; nonetheless, the myth stuck, and when the last of the old Man’o’Wars were decommissioned in late 1876, the Red Star Fleet adopted the slogan, ”Aenean quam ventus“ (“Faster than the Wind”).

USS_Passaic.jpg

1. The USS Passaic, upon which the Federation's new monitors were based.​

---

Actions required:

Since I am going away for the weekend, this update will be serialised. The second half the update, dealing with foreign affairs and social issues will hopefully follow on Monday, as shall pictures for this.

In the meantime, you may have noticed that it is election season once more (more details on the new voting system for Presidential Elections will also follow at some point), but for now please announce your candidacy along with the party you with to run under the banner of (or if you wish to run as an independent) and a full list of the five in-game policies your government would have were it to be elected.

Also, please vote on the Appointment Act of 1874.
(For my sanity, I just took the other act there as a Presidential order) Ensure that you include your state in your vote if you want it to be counted.

The deadline will be Monday 20th at 8pm GMT.

Last edited:
I President Aetios Spiros intend to seek re-election under the banner of the NRU. I also would like to extend, with the permission of the Radical Union party leadership, and offer of a joint convention with the FDP and the RA. My polices I intend to run on are:
Pro-Military
Secularism
Interventionism
Free-trade
Full Citizenship

As my administration has managed to eliminate the national debt, taxes shall be lowered from the 1874 Tax Hike.

Last edited:
I, Nicolò Donato, declare my intentions for the Presidency of the Danubian Federation. I would like to announce that I am running under the banner of the Danubian Patriotic Union, and it is my intention to see a joint convention with the Republican Alliance and the All-Danubian Conservative Party. My policies are as follows,

Pro-Military
Pluralism
Interventionism
Free Trade
Limited Citizenship

Though I must note that if either the RA or A-DCP, or both, show willingness for a joint convention that I am willing to discuss possible changes in my policies.

I, Nicolò Donato, declare my intentions for the Presidency of the Danubian Federation. I would like to announce that I am running under the banner of the Danubian Patriotic Union, and it is my intention to see a joint convention with the Republican Alliance and the All-Danubian Conservative Party. My policies are as follows,

Pro-Military
Pluralism
Interventionism
Free Trade
Limited Citizenship

Though I must note that if either the RA or A-DCP, or both, show willingness for a joint convention that I am willing to discuss possible changes in my policies.

The A-DCP accepts any joint talks with the DPU, as we have expressed in the past. The right must be united in this coming battle, and I will do everything in my power to assist them.

I would also like to declare I am running for re-election of the A-DCP.

My policies are as goes,

Pro-Military
Secularism
Interventionism
Free Trade
Full-Citizenship

May this election be fruitful, and as always, prosperous for the people.

-Charles Jakopin, President of Slovenia

I President Aetios Spiros intend to seek re-election under the banner of the NRU. I also would like to extend, with the permission of the Radical Union party leadership, and offer of a joint convention with the FDP and the RA. My polices I intend to run on are:
Pro-Military
Secularism
Interventionism
Free-trade
Full Citizenship

As my administration has managed to eliminate the national debt, taxes shall be lowered from the 1874 Tax Hike.

The FDP accepts the offer to hold a joint convention with the RU. The left must stay united if it is to remain in control of the presidency and continue its progressive leadership of this nation.

I would also like to announce that I will seek re-election as leader of the FDP. I submit the following platform to the party for its consideration.

Free Trade
Laissez Faire
Pro-Military
Full Citizenship
Secularism

~ Edoardo Vertucci, Councillor for Cisalpina and Leader of the FDP

330px-Lion_of_Saint_Mark.svg.png

'Concerning the Constitution'
A resolution of the Great Council of Venice

---
Per quanto riguarda la Costituzione'
Una risoluzione del Consiglio Maggiore di Venezia

Juditha triumphans

On this Day, the 15th of January in the Year of Our Lord 1876, the Nobiles and Signores of the Consiglio Maggiore do ordain and enact the following provisions, to have the force of law within the Most Serene Republic:

I. Due to the findings of the Supreme Court of the Federation, the Republic hereby abolishes the legally-constituted Patrician class

II. In order to comply with the Federal Constitution, the requirements for election to the Quarantia (ie. Patrician status) and therefore, to preserve the noble institutions of the state; institutes wealth requirements for election to the aforementioned body to ensure that only those of suitable status and means may represent the state in such a high capacity

III. No such requirements exist for the Arengo

IV. That the Dogado is hereby re-established within the Most Serene Republic; to be elected according to the ancient and traditional manner in compliance with the Constitution of the Federation.

So this resolution has been adopted, in the Year of Our Lord 1876 by the Venetian people. Amen.

Quietly published by the Venetian state.

((Ab, just to clarify, that resolution restricts voting based on wealth, yes?))

I wish to announce that I will be running for the State Presidency of Hungary. I shall also be joining the FDP.

~ Várpaloti, Dr. Iur.

I welcome Dr. Várpaloti into the FDP and look forward to working with him to advance the cause of liberalism.

Appointment Act of 1874: Aye

[Cisalpina]

~ Edoardo Vertucci, Councillor for Cisalpina and Leader of the FDP

Appointment Act of 1874: Abstain

~ Conta din Bihor, Councilor Alexandru Vladimir Drăculeşti, Victor of the West

[Romania]

Appointment Act of 1874: Aye
[Crete]

I wish to petition the Supreme Court that the recent resolution "Concerning the Constitution" issued by the Great Council of Venice contravenes article 2.7 of the Constitution, and should therefore be amended to comply with the law of the Danubian Federation before being enacted as state law.

~ Várpaloti, Dr. Iur.

I wish to petition the Supreme Court that the recent resolution "Concerning the Constitution" issued by the Great Council of Venice contravenes article 2.7 of the Constitution, and should therefore be amended to comply with the law of the Danubian Federation before being enacted as state law.

~ Várpaloti, Dr. Iur.

Gabriele sighs

Some people cannot just leave us alone. Kindly quote the section of the Constitution which we are, supposedly, violating.

Gabriele sighs

Some people cannot just leave us alone. Kindly quote the section of the Constitution which we are, supposedly, violating.

Believe me, signore, I do not level this petition out of any malice or spite. I merely wish to ensure that everything is in order. The article in question (Article 7, Section 2 – "The Citizens of the Federation") reads thusly:

The franchise of the Danubian Federation is to include all male citizens over twenty-one (21) years of age.

I have highlighted the elements I feel are not being wholly complied with.

~ Várpaloti, Dr. Iur.

Believe me, signore, I do not level this petition out of any malice or spite. I merely wish to ensure that everything is in order. The article in question (Article 7, Section 2 – "The Citizens of the Federation") reads thusly:

I have highlighted the elements I feel are not being wholly complied with.

~ Várpaloti, Dr. Iur.

All citizens can vote. Not all citizens can run.

-Loredan

Status
Not open for further replies.