• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Following again some further thought I also amend my vote from Nay to Aye on Melillan Admission.

Albania

In light of recent private protests by the Cisalpine government concerning the Venetian enclaves of Candia and Canea, I wish to make clear one very simple fact: Venice owes nothing to Cisalpina. Although we are of course glad that the Cisalpine government allowed the Venetian people their right to self-determination, and wish to live in amicable harmony with them the opinion of the State of Cisalpina on the affairs of the Most Serene Republic will have absolutely no more bearing than any other state. Venice is now a sovereign constituent entity of this Federation unbound to Milan, and refuses to kowtow to their expectations of how she should conduct her affairs. Threats of invasion will be immediately dealt with as the illegal stagecraft which they undoubtedly are. Venice wishes nothing more than to live in peace and to abide by the law, and Venetian representatives have made clear for years that the old ways of the expansionist Second Republic shall not be emulated. That choice, however, is the choice of the Venetian people for their own self-interest and is not to be influenced by any other power or entity beyond the lawfully-constituted forces of the Federal government. We are free and it is high time that Cisalpina cease her aggrandising attitude towards us and normalise her relations.

Melilla: Abstain
Cyprus: Aye
Suez: Nay
Galicia: Aye
Lodomeria: Aye

~Gabriele Loredan,
Councillor for the Most Serene Republic of Venice

((That would be up to the President; Jeeshadow?))
((Liberalin totally gets a state funeral. Also, I guess you should IC it. Feel free to make some awesome monument, but make sure the government did not pay to much of it ;). Also, maybe we should consider a Presidential tomb... Also, Ahawk, do you plan on making any new rules?))

I offer my full support to all the states requesting admittance into the Federation. I have no doubt they shall be great additions to this Federation.

Melilla: Aye
Suez: Aye

-President Aetios Spiros
[Crete]

As a Colonel in the Federal Army I would like to request an appointment from the Chief of the General Staff so that I may serve the Federation and it's people.

~Colonel Frederick von Innsbruck-Brno

Last edited:
Alexandros Petrakis gives a speech on the steps of the Blue House, the residence of the President of Crete

My fellow Cretans,

I come before you today to call for justice. Our island, as you know, is a peaceful and prosperous member state of the Federation, but not all of it remains this way. During the Venetian Crisis, upstart City Councilmen in our cities of Iraklion and Chania unilaterally declared their cities part of the Commonwealth of Venice. In the legal limbo created by the Constitutional Convention, I have been able to do little to rectify the situation, but with the return of calm to our fair nation, the time has come. The Venetian imperialists not only throw our Federation's hard-earned wealth away pursuing vast swaths of useless African desert, all in the name of regaining their absurd delusions of grandeur, but they also lay claim to our territory as well! We cannot stand for this. We shall not stand for this.

My argument rests on two pillars. First of all, the transfer of the cities of Iraklion and Chania were not ratified by a referendum in either Crete or Venice, in direct violation of Part 7, Article 20 of the Federal Constitution. The only ones who voted for the transfer were the City Councilmen, not the population of our nation or even the entire population of the cities. Thus, by Article 21, they are rendered null and void, and should be restored to Cretan authority immediately. Secondly, the Serene Commonwealth of Venice, as it styles itself, is not a state proper but a Free City. A Free City is defined, according to Part 7, Article 20, as a "single city within the Federation that is not part of any of the other states of the Federation." Even if one conceded, which would be absurd, that Iraklion and Chania were a part of the Serene Commonwealth of Venice, they are certainly not part of the city of Venice, being unconnected by land and hundreds of miles away. It must also be noted here that rather than being "not part of any of the other states of the Federation," they are part of the state of Crete. There are thus two possible interpretations of this argument. The first is that, due to holding overseas territory, Venice was illegally admitted as a Free City and its admission into the Federation as a state must be re-ratified. The other, far more logical, interpretation is that Venice possesses these territories illegally, and they should be restored to the Republic of Crete immediately.

Thus, on behalf of the State of Crete, I call upon the Constitutional Court to rule on the legality of the Venetian occupation of the Cretan cities of Iraklion and Chania. Should my state require me to do so, I would be proud to argue the case before the Court itself.

Thousands of Cretans are now denied unity with their countrymen and subjected to a quasi-monarchical system of government due to the mad ambitions of Venice and her stooges on our City Councils. We must stand up for Crete, as a symbol of the triumph over monarchy and tyranny, and ensure that all states work in harmony with the Federal Government. We seek only justice and the restoration of order. Long live Crete, and God bless the Danubian Federation!

The crowd applauds

Last edited:
Alexandros Petrakis gives a speech on the steps of the Blue House, the residence of the President of Crete

My fellow Cretans,

I come before you today to call for justice. Our island, as you know, is a peaceful and prosperous member state of the Federation, but not all of it remains this way. During the Venetian Crisis, upstart City Councilmen in our cities of Iraklion and Chania unilaterally declared their cities part of the Commonwealth of Venice. In the legal limbo created by the Constitutional Convention, I have been able to do little to rectify the situation, but with the return of calm to our fair nation, the time has come. The Venetian imperialists not only throw our Federation's hard-earned wealth away pursuing vast swaths of useless African desert, all in the name of regaining their absurd delusions of grandeur, but they also lay claim to our territory as well! We cannot stand for this. We shall not stand for this.

My argument rests on two pillars. First of all, the transfer of the cities of Iraklion and Chania were not ratified by a referendum in either Crete or Venice, in direct violation of Part 7, Article 20 of the Federal Constitution. The only ones who voted for the transfer were the City Councilmen, not the population of our nation or even the entire population of the cities. Thus, by Article 21, they are rendered null and void, and should be restored to Cretan authority immediately. Secondly, the Serene Commonwealth of Venice, as it styles itself, is not a state proper but a Free City. A Free City is defined, according to Part 7, Article 20, as a "single city within the Federation that is not part of any of the other states of the Federation." Even if one conceded, which would be absurd, that Iraklion and Chania were a part of the Serene Commonwealth of Venice, they are certainly not part of the city of Venice, being unconnected by land and hundreds of miles away. It must also be noted here that rather than being "not part of any of the other states of the Federation," they are part of the state of Crete. There are thus two possible interpretations of this argument. The first is that, due to holding overseas territory, Venice was illegally admitted as a Free City and its admission into the Federation as a state must be re-ratified. The other, far more logical, interpretation is that Venice possesses these territories illegally, and they should be restored to the Republic of Crete immediately.

Thus, on behalf of the State of Crete, I call upon the Constitutional Court to rule on the legality of the Venetian occupation of the Cretan cities of Iraklion and Chania. Should my state require me to do so, I would be proud to argue the case before the Court itself.

Thousands of Cretans are now denied unity with their countrymen and subjected to a quasi-monarchical system of government due to the mad ambitions of Venice and her stooges on our City Councils. We must stand up for Crete, as a symbol of the triumph over monarchy and tyranny, and ensure that all states work in harmony with the Federal Government. We seek only justice and the restoration of order. Long live Crete, and God bless the Danubian Federation!

The crowd applauds
((...you do realise that only small sections of the cities, presumably the Venetian quarters, joined Venice? Not the whole cities...))

((Liberalin totally gets a state funeral. Also, I guess you should IC it. Feel free to make some awesome monument, but make sure the government did not pay to much of it ;). Also, maybe we should consider a Presidential tomb... Also, Ahawk, do you plan on making any new rules?))

I offer my full support to all the states requesting admittance into the Federation. I have no doubt they shall be great additions to this Federation.

-President Aetios Spiros
[Crete]

((Aww, Liberalen gets a state funeral? Now I want one too D: ))

((...you do realise that only small sections of the cities, presumably the Venetian quarters, joined Venice? Not the whole cities...))

((Well, that wasn't super clear from the update, so my bad, but if the Albanians can make a fuss over it, so can we, I suppose.

...I just realized our goals have not been aligning very much here, have they? I assure you I'm not trying to personally ruin your day all the time :p))

((Aww, Liberalen gets a state funeral? Now I want one too D: ))

((For a start, being dead tends to be prerequisite. :p))

Dr. Edvard Jeroným Krejčí

Fo_E_Krej.jpg

Date of Birth: 11. 1. 1820
Place of Birth: Mladá Boleslav, central Bohemia
Culture: Czech
Position: Councillor for Bohemia
Former CEO of Krejčí,Wolff&Hartl Ltd.
Party: Federal Democratic Party

Biography:

Edvard J. Krejčí was born into a middle-upper class family in central Bohemia. His father owned a small textile manufacture which allowed the family to have a rather decent life standard in Bohemian lands which at the time, although still dealing with consequences of Thirty-Years War, saw a skyrocketing growth in economy and living standard. His father’s hard work allowed Edvard to study engineering in Charles University in Prague, graduating in 1844. A few months before his graduation, Edvard married a girl named Jana whom he met during his studies in Prague. While many people claim that Edvard, always being a cunning and calculating man, married Jana only because she came from a rather wealthy family, Edvard actually truly loved her with all his heart. Soon after the marriage, Jana gave birth to his three children – his daughter Anna and two sons David and Jakub.

Edvard sold the old manufacture and together with his 2 former classmates, Reinhard Wolff and Karel Hartl opened a small factory focusing on machine parts. Thanks to Wolff’s contacts in Vienna and Berlin, Hartl’s engineering brilliance and Krejčí’s managing and marketing skills, Krejčí,Wolff&Hartl became the leading company focusing on machinery, small weapons, ammunitions and artillery in Danubia by 1862. Krejčí’s family soon became one of the richest and most influential families in Bohemia. Yet, realizing the threat of new competitors on Danubian market, Edvard Krejčí passed the leadership to his son David (though keeping control de facto anyway) and ran in general elections in 1872 after launching possibly the most expensive campaign in Danubian history. Krejčí never disclosed the exact amount of finances he put into it, yet historians agree that he must have spent way over 200 000 Danubian Pounds.

Politically, Edvard became active during the revolution of 1848, which he ardently supported. He was never a real liberal, but always had distrust towards the monarchy and everything that can be even remotely considered German, but he always stood for economic liberalism without state regulations and as few interventions as possible. While he originally came to parliament to (secretly) defend his own financial interests, he soon realized how many possibilities are now open for him. His attention was mostly drawn towards the colonies and their resources, and Edvard hopes to further expand his empire when the colonial goods start flowing to Danubia. His son Jakub may get involved in acquiring the new lands, as he is currently Captain of the Federal Army. Krejčí also disagrees with many of hs colleagues when it comes to state rights: Although he supports abolition of monarchies, he believes states need to reclaim some of their right from the federation, and wouldn't actually mind at all if the Republic of Bohemia seceded from Danubian Federation.​

((FoE, here I come. Be afraid.))

Danube1.png

A Pronouncement of the Chief of the General Staff
Nicolò Donato

After much consideration it has been decided that Laurenz Kunze-Serbanescu will succeed to the position of Southeastern Front Commander, he is an exemplary individual who served with the utmost ability during his tenure as Deputy to the previous Western Front Commander. With a vacancy now left by his transfer, I would like to promote Colonel Frederick von Innsbruck-Brno to the position and I hope he can serve myself and the army well.

Admiral-General Nicolò Donato
Chief of the General Staff
Western Front Commander

Suez: Abstain

~ Várpaloti, Dr. Iur.

Cyprus: Yea
Suez: Abstain
Tunisia: Yea
Galicia: Yea
Lodomeria: Yea

[Cisalpina]

~ Francesco de Palma, Vice President of the Federation

((Ahawk, can I ask what the status of reforms are? What have been passed, and are their any that there is a broad support in the public for? Thanks :D))

Mykola Derevenko
cw6v.jpg

Date Of Birth:August 15 1844
Place Of Birth: Rovno, Russian Ukraine
Culture: Ukrainian
Position: No official position
Political Party: Ukrainian nationalist Party of Russia (no political affiliations in the Danubian Federation as of yet)

Biography;

Born in the town of Rovno, to a rich former Serf-proprietor, Mykola spent a large portion of his time as a child getting a good education. In his late teens and early 20s Mykola becomes more and more influenced by Ukrainian nationalism and in 1870 he and a group of other conspirators attempt a failed revolution to establish a Ukrainian government independent of the Russian Empire. Since then, Mykola has been on the run from authorities and in 1872 crossed the border into the Danubian territory of Galicia Lodomeria, where he now is seeking long term asylum but, Mykola still holds hope that there will in the future, be a Ukraine independent of Russia and is willing to do anything to ensure that it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.