• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
((Public Service Announcement: All new wikia pages can not have "Equals" in the title, but rather just Equals.))

It is a difficult decision to make. Both of these noble and wise politicians can lead the country well. Certainly better than the radical grandees. I deeply respect them. But a choice must be made.

I vote for Vasilios Mitsotakis

- Graf Peter von der Pahlen, Deputy for Silesia

Letter to the Hofsburg

As I am an independent, I cast my vote for a proper soul. One of proper birth, a true Romanian.

I cast for Dunaren.

Popa

P.S. You would all be surprised about this thing I discovered in prison. It's called peace and quiet. We should try it when I return.

((I repeat; only party members are allowed to vote, because it is a closed primary season.))

((I was told independents could vote, guess not. The post script still applies though))

((I really think that independents should be allowed to vote in the Conservative primary. Otherwise, the GM has effectively disenfranchised all military players during the primary season, since military characters can't hold a party allegiance. It kind of screws me a little, especially since I was told previously that it'd be an open primary.))

While I have great respect for my opponents, Councillors Papp and Mitsotakis, I cannot help but feel that their platforms represent substantial backwards steps for the Federation, steps that would deprive us of the great advances that have been made despite Radical misrule.

Councillor Papp is opposed to colonial expansion, when it is clear to all that colonies are the only way forward for the Danubian people, that they represent an opportunity to expand our great culture and our civilizing influence beyond Europe and into heathen Africa. They represent a tremendous opportunity for the acquisition of strategic resources that Europe simply does not possess, resources that we need to fuel our industry and our economy. We must have colonies, both in Africa and beyond, if we are to achieve the strength requisite to being a truly great international power.

Councillor Mitsotakis, meanwhile, argues for the expansion of confederalist principles at the expense of the federal government, in a effect a return to a new feudalism. What he does not realize is that federalism has created a whole that is far greater than the sum of its many individual parts, a united Federation that can exert influence, that can shield against threats, and that can create prosperity far beyond what any individual state could even dream of.

I do not advocate the kind of radical federalism that led to the latest uprising by those so-called revolutionaries, but rather a retention of the current balance of power between the Federal government and the states. The status quo must be strengthened and reinforced so that states might continue to represent the interests of their localities while the Federal government does the essential work necessary to ensure the survival and growth of our nation-state. We are far stronger together than we could ever be individually, and Councillor Mitsotakis' platform denies this essential truth.

Our greater Danubian destiny beckons, and I firmly believe that I am the man to see it realized. Join me, and together we will make this Federation strong again!

Gavril Dunăren, Deputy for Romania

My position on colonisation has been much maligned. I advocate precaution, not to throw ourselves in such adventures without hard proof of a profit for our people, lest we find ourselves vainly looking for El Dorado as the Spanish in their time. The resources necessary to our greatness are right under our foot, here, in Bohemia, in Galicia, in Transylvania, and the reason, the only reason, that our hard work has not brought them to us is the constant barbaric warfare of the Federation. In our short sixteen years of existence we have seen more war and death than the Empire did since the fall of Napoleon ! Is that the civilization we bring to the savages ? One that, as the mongols, constantly hungers for vast expanses of worthless land, and for War ?

Yet one would be misplaced in believing a position that does not advocate more warfare is one of cowardice and weakness. When the monarchists knocked on our door, coming back triumphant from Constantinople, did I falter ? Only through sheer force of will, and faith in the future, did we survive against a more numerous, better armed enemy. It is that will, that faith, that is the greatest strength of our Federation, and if you will lend it to me, we shall finally bring this Federation to the wealth it deserves.

~ Janos Papp, candidate in the A-DCP primaries

((Oh, and I also cast my vote in the primaries for Janos Papp. Should probably mention that.))

Last edited:
Interview with President Mitsotakis in the Heraklion Times.

So Kirios Mitsotakis, you are running for President in the Conservative primaries. The question everyone wants to know is what your exact beliefs of confederalism constitute.

"Well, that is a very good question, kirios. What I mean when I state my devotion to confederalism is that in the constant exchange between states and the Federal Government, there must be roles. In my belief these roles should be more favorable to the states, because the states will naturally know what is better for their own state. In my opinion, the Federal Government should take precedence in matters that involve the whole of the Federation, however this does not apply when it interferes in the internal governance of a state. I am sure that you see what the state's role must be in the perpetual conflict within our nation. The states must take precedence in the internal matters of their state, or when it affects no one but the state itself. Of course there are exceptions to the rule. Perhaps the best example would be the debate on monarchies. When something violates the right of a state to have its own government."

How enlightening, President Mitsotakis. Now, another discussion running rampant in Crete is what your exact position on economic matters are.

"Yes, of course. In my essay, Criticism of Market Structure, I discussed the dangers of a true Laissez-Faire economy. That is not to say that I do not support free trade and the freedom of the capitalists of our nation. However, the capitalists must be protected and limited. The government must have the ability and authority to intervene in industry and all other economic matters. Like I said in my platform, if the economy is doing well, leave it alone. If not, then for God's sake fix it! Therefore, I advocate for an Interventionist policy."

This has been an interesting conversation and words cannot express our gratitude for your presence before you embark for Vienna.

Last edited:
Vasilios Mitsotakis is the best presidential candidate for our Party; he gets my vote.

~O.S.

While I understand the desire for the confederalist wing of our party to promote their ideals and field a candidate who shares their views, the simple truth is that the majority of the Federation has left them behind. Federalism is well established within our legal system and within our national sensibilities. Most Danubians do not want a return to the days when states were ruled like miniature kingdoms and neither do their representatives. If a confederalist candidate is nominated by our party, we will be completely consigned to political irrelevance during the general election. Our federalist members would likely rather see a strong federalist candidate in office than a conservative confederalist. This is a hard truth to face, but it is a necessary one.

What I advocate is an accommodation between the two schools of thought, where the status quo is maintained and our legitimate economic and foreign policy arguments are pressed against the Valenta administration's reckless spending and indecision. We must think ahead if we are to remain a significant political force, if our beliefs are to be heard in the national debate that stands before us. We must come together, as one party, to nominate the candidate who is not weighed down by political baggage or non-viable ideals, the candidate who carries the support of a great and vibrant state, who wants to make our Federation the global power it deserves to be. I am that candidate.

I cast my primary vote for Janos Papp. This Federation is not half as wealthy, half as prosperous as she could be; directly as a result of the constant wars which this Federation has suffered through. We need peace. We need stability. We need Papp. The reckless colonial adventurism and blatant aggressive jingoism of Dunăren is a childish fantasy in the world we live in. With a coup, a rebellion, a civil war, and four foreign wars in the space of less than two decades this Federation needs and deserves peace. In the world we live in, Tunisia needs schools and only one in a dozen Melillans speak enough German to greet me in the morning. The Federation and her colonies do not need to expand for resources without even bothering to plumb the depths of her own god-given wealth and assets.

Herr Dunăren does, however, make some good points. Danubia does lack effective and strong leadership, and has done so ever since the conclusion of the Civil War. President Valenta is a fop and a fool; ruling through incompetence and tyranny derived from his cronies. However, instead of fronting inexperienced politicians both with radical views it would only make sense to front a statesman of experience and maturity; this being embodied in Janos Papp. Councillor Papp has been a stalwart defender of Conservatism and the Federation since the inception of this union. He stood firmly against the monarchist threat during the Civil War and will assuredly demonstrate the will needed to lead this Federation into true prosperity. I also beg my fellow party-members to consider the impression which fielding such an extreme confederalist will make on the electorate. Mitsotakis' views are not compatible with the present political atmosphere. If we field Mitsotakis the simple fact is that we will lose. This party does not need the adventuring jingoism of Dunăren or the confederalism of Mitsotakis; but rather the sensibility of Papp.

-Joachim von Kirchberg,
Consul-General of Melilla

The argument of Federalism and Confederalism in our party seems to have blown out of proportions. In the end, how many of us would do away with such things as the free circulation of people and goods within the Federation ? With the florin ? And on the other side, how many of us support the abolition of the Federal Council, of the states as the real Federalists do ? In the end, we all are conservatives. Whoever wins this primary will maintain the status quo in this regard, that is a certitude. Let us concentrate on the more important topics at hand, and not divide ourselves while radical incompetence is still looming over the horizon.

~ Janos Papp, candidate in the A-DCP primary

After a long and deep thought on the matter, I have decided to support Vasilios Mitsotakis. While I hold the upmost respect for the other two candidates, I feel that his willingness to embrace colonialism and to seek profit for this Federation over the seas is the future.

~ Henrik Kraus, Chancellor for Austria

I agree with the Honorable Consul-General that what this Federation needs is a return to peace and prosperity. We have had more than our fill of internal unrest and foreign wars. My argument is not that we should create or provoke more strife, but rather that we must improve our capacity to endure and oppose that strife. We have repeatedly been confronted with armed violence, both at home and abroad, and each time we are strained to the breaking point in our efforts to defend ourselves and our interests. Whether this inability manifests through prolonged bloody conflicts, through unsustainable debt, or through domestic unrest, it remains a pronounced issue for what should be Europe's greatest nation and we must address it.

Therefore, I advocate for the expansion and augmentation of our existing military forces, both terrestrial and naval, as well as improved salaries and benefits for our military personnel, so that a military career is an attractive and viable option for our young men. I advocate for the repeal of the Military Neutrality Act, which stifles our soldiers' Constitutional right to free association and denies them an essential sense of involvement in our democracy. And I advocate for a stronger diplomatic effort to build alliances and establish a larger sphere of influence, an effort in which we are seen as a vital ally and partner rather than simply a lesser nation to be discarded at will.

As regards colonial expansion, I agree that at present our current colonies must be improved upon and receive significant investment to become viable and prosperous Danubian assets. I further concur that additional wars of conquest or rapid expansion into unclaimed territory would be largely counterproductive. However, we must continue to seek out possible avenues of expansion that are both profitable and sustainable for the Federation, so that we are not left behind by the established colonial empires as they gobble up vast swathes of undeveloped territory. We must pursue our colonial destiny in a fashion that is both judicious and decisive, so that we do not overextend while also not denying our essential need for a greater international presence.

I hope that this has served to address the Consul-General's concerns and that it will perhaps alter his stated perception of my foreign policy, which I consider an essential component in encouraging our Federation's rise to greatness.

I agree with the Honorable Consul-General that what this Federation needs is a return to peace and prosperity. We have had more than our fill of internal unrest and foreign wars. My argument is not that we should create or provoke more strife, but rather that we must improve our capacity to endure and oppose that strife. We have repeatedly been confronted with armed violence, both at home and abroad, and each time we are strained to the breaking point in our efforts to defend ourselves and our interests. Whether this inability manifests through prolonged bloody conflicts, through unsustainable debt, or through domestic unrest, it remains a pronounced issue for what should be Europe's greatest nation and we must address it.

Therefore, I advocate for the expansion and augmentation of our existing military forces, both terrestrial and naval, as well as improved salaries and benefits for our military personnel, so that a military career is an attractive and viable option for our young men. I advocate for the repeal of the Military Neutrality Act, which stifles our soldiers' Constitutional right to free association and denies them an essential sense of involvement in our democracy. And I advocate for a stronger diplomatic effort to build alliances and establish a larger sphere of influence, an effort in which we are seen as a vital ally and partner rather than simply a lesser nation to be discarded at will.

As regards colonial expansion, I agree that at present our current colonies must be improved upon and receive significant investment to become viable and prosperous Danubian assets. I further concur that additional wars of conquest or rapid expansion into unclaimed territory would be largely counterproductive. However, we must continue to seek out possible avenues of expansion that are both profitable and sustainable for the Federation, so that we are not left behind by the established colonial empires as they gobble up vast swathes of undeveloped territory. We must pursue our colonial destiny in a fashion that is both judicious and decisive, so that we do not overextend while also not denying our essential need for a greater international presence.

I hope that this has served to address the Consul-General's concerns and that it will perhaps alter his stated perception of my foreign policy, which I consider an essential component in encouraging our Federation's rise to greatness.

I see not any need, nor any reason to repeal the Military Neutrality Act. It is a bitter necessity, and its repeal would open the door for another military focused party, like the now defunct Martial and Security League. There is too much to lose, barely anything gained.

I see not any need, nor any reason to repeal the Military Neutrality Act. It is a bitter necessity, and its repeal would open the door for another military focused party, like the now defunct Martial and Security League. There is too much to lose, barely anything gained.
Chancellor Kraus, the Military Neutrality Act is quite simply the most dangerous piece of legislation we have ever passed. The parties of old are still there, but underground, making the job of the Ministry of Security that much harder. It excludes the military man out of the political game, despite his service to the Federation. Is that how we thank the men who give their lives for us ? If not a repeal, at the very least an amendment allowing all soldiers to be part of political organizations is in order.

My proposed repeal will keep intact Clauses III and IV, in order to prevent any possible abuse of power or the creation of problematic organizations. My sole intention is to allow the military leadership to be fully represented in the political process, in accordance with their rights as Danubian citizens.

An interview with Abgeordnete Oskar Schultheiß by the Wiener Zeitung, dated 12 November 1863

This week we received a letter from the junior Councillor for Wien graciously accepting my invitation to speak with me here at the offices of the Wiener Zeitung on Viehmarkt Street. This reporter met with Oskar Schultheiß this past Tuesday. I found to my surprise when he arrived that in spite of the divisive nature of his politics even amongst his own party and some of the strident and radical remarks he has made in the Danubian Congress, Schultheiß turned out in person to be a rather plain, unassuming and soft-spoken man whose features, apart from his hair, hint at a Bohemian extraction more than at the Jewish roots he claims. Even so, it quickly became clear as we spoke that he speaks from his deep convictions, however retrograde (or advanced, depending on your perspective) those convictions may be.

W.Z.: A pleasure to see you, Herr Schultheiß. How have your first few months in office treated you?

O.S.: The usual fare for legislative assemblies, I think, excepting that brawl on the steps of the Hofburg the day of my arrival. The entire affair of the late Minister of War was very tragic – a most needless and senseless death. Other than that, however, I have no complaints; I knew what I was signing on for when I ran for the office.

W.Z.: What are your personal plans in office? Do you have any ambitions for yet higher office?

O.S.: Dear me, no, thank God! For the moment, I serve best where I stand.

W.Z.: Where most would you like to visit during your tenure, given the choice?

O.S.: Travel is not something I got to do a lot in my youth, but I would very much like to start. If at all possible, I should like to go on pilgrimage to Jerusalem – visit the Tomb of the Blessed Virgin, the Via Dolorosa and the Chapel of the Ascension. Failing that, a journey to our Federation’s newly-acquired port of Melilla would be my second choice.

W.Z.: You are affiliated with the All-Danubian Conservative Party, but in terms of voting you have not aligned yourself very firmly at all with your party leaders in the Congress, Henrik Kraus and Janos Papp, but represent a strange mixture of left and right. Indeed, it seems to much of the voting public in Austria that you may be in fact a radical Marxist or an anarchist posing as a Conservative; indeed, our paper recently ran a political cartoon to that effect. How would you respond to this?

diezuverlaessigenkonservativen_500_zpse46aec54.png

’What is that smell?’ – The Loyal Conservatives, published 30 October 1863
O.S.: I did see that cartoon – quite amusing; I wish my bowties looked that extravagant in real life! But I believe it misrepresents my position somewhat. I admit I find Herr Marx’s writing quite keen, and he has a very good eye for describing the big picture, but most of his conclusions and even his assumptions about the social reality are quite narrow and even morally repugnant. I am quite far from supporting his ideas of dialectical materialism, which go against my faith. And the abolition of property would only serve to harm the true interests of the working class Herr Marx claims to champion. However, many of the measures where I took a stance against the main current of my party – like the Labour Hours Act, or my recent proposal of an Alternate Tax Scheme on the Federal budget – I took largely because of my faith.

W.Z.: You say you expect Catholics to support these radical social reforms?

O.S.: The Catholic faith itself is a radical proposition in this day and age; that is, if you take it to mean more than merely attending Mass every Sunday and being able to recite the Ave Maria. It means subscribing to a very conservative view of the universe – that there is a directing intelligence; a transcendent order; a faith in the things that endure: the altar, the cottage and the throne – but it also means subscribing to the idea that Christ is seen first in the face of the working-man, in the starving child, in the weary widows of war. Also, that it is first the responsibility of individuals to provide compassion for their physical needs, and second the responsibility of the state to provide them justice and a favourable consideration.

W.Z.: Your Party-mates may not agree wholeheartedly with that last.

O.S.: [sighing] Yes, indeed. And that is unfortunate. It was for their very reasonable and common-sense attitudes on many other issues that I joined the party in the first place.

The federalist issue, for example: it runs against the instincts of the great majority of the peoples of the Federation of the Danube to have a completely centralised democracy, as if we were an ancient Greek city-state! Better to run things from the bottom up, to build our nation from the materials we are given, merely than constructing high-minded castles in the sky on the basis of theory alone, and expecting the constituent peoples of the Federation to build ladders up to them.

Also, they formally recognise the necessities of encouraging small, local businesses with tax considerations, and of the authoritative voice the Church must have in guiding the comportment of our government.

W.Z.: Whom do you support for the Conservative nominee in the primaries?

O.S.: Herr Präsident Vasilios Mitsotakis of Crete. He’s gotten a reputation for his passionate temper, but policy-wise I believe he has a very sound head on his shoulders, and he strikes me as the most rational Conservative candidate on the issues I tend to care about. He is blessedly not a bourgeois free-market ideologue, and he cares deeply about preserving the rights and dignities of each of the Federation’s member peoples – both of these things I deeply respect.

W.Z.: You have made several incendiary remarks about the American system of government on the floor of the Council. Would you care to elaborate your views on the United States, and perhaps on the civil war they are currently undergoing?

O.S.: Ah, you catch me in a conflicted position, here. I am in two minds or more about the Americans. I have a high appreciation for some of their leaders and intellectuals: Herr Lincoln is a brilliant statesman and a decisive leader, who has made the best of an unfortunate series of circumstances. And of course, the most trenchant thinker in America right now is Herr Orestes Brownson, whom I often read for philosophical inspiration.

But I disagree with Herr Brownson on their system of government. This perpetual tug-of-war between government branches, and the formal divorce of the state from any theologically-based consideration of morality – this I find most unsuitable for civilised European men. We see how it is turning out now! Half of the American states declare a treasonous war on the other half, precisely because their experiment left unresolved for so long what was to be done about the Negroes, and in defiance of God kept them and their descendants in the most wretched state of servile oppression for nearly a century since they broke away from Britain. And as soon as this war of theirs is resolved, whichever side wins, I fear it is the poor white man in the manufactory alongside the Negro in the plantation, who will be kept in a state of wage-slavery only slightly less wretched.

And they also seem to be on a trajectory of castle-in-the-sky centralised democracy which has characterised much of our own recent past. Theirs and the CSA’s are mistakes I would wish no other nation to have to impose upon themselves.

W.Z.: Thank you for the interview, Herr Schultheiß! Are there any other remarks you would like to leave us with?

O.S.: Only my honour and gratitude at having been elected Councillor by this fair city, and the hope that I can continue to serve her well and truly. God bless and keep you!

W.Z.: And you, Councillor.

I fully support the repeal of the Military Neutrality Act. I also wish to stress the importance of the Federal Government in the relationship between states and the Federal Government. Without the Federal Government to pull together the states we would not be able to free ourselves from Ottoman, Russian, Prussian, or any of the other monarchies. The Federal Government must maintain its authority in most national issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.