• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bratislava, Slovakia

The Slovak State Militia entered Bratislava with little issue after the negotiations, to find a city that was still mostly intact--the people were so uniformly republican that there were few targets for the DRB, and they took the city primarily to use as a recruiting ground without government restriction. Indeed, the city had been left mostly to its people, as most of the revolutionaries soon left for Vienna, and life went on largely as usual. Now that the city is back in government hands, though, and now that yet another vote is to be held, there have been whisperings of unease. The news of monarchist protests in Vienna, masquerading themselves as being pro-choice instead of the reactionary ploy that they so very clearly were, seemed to spark people into action, as a large crowd gathered in Bratislava for a counter-protest. Like their Viennese counterparts they were largely peaceful, but their anger was palpable, and the slogans on their signs and in their chants spoke volumes:

"Monarchy is slavery!"

"The people have spoken!"

"Remember 1848, remember 1857!"

"The Federation belongs to the people, not the king of Silesia!"

"Monarchy is not democracy!"

"Citizens, not subjects!"

"Democracy is the popular will!"

"The Federation is a republic!"

The crowd grew larger with each passing day.

((GM approved. If etranger doesn't agree with the details of the DRB's tenure in Bratislava then I'll change them, but I think they should be fine.))

((Temporary character while Schmidt awaits trial.))

I believe that the President has both the authority and the imperative to enact the results of the referendum, given the circumstances. The very fabric of the Federation was being torn apart by a minority of reactionary obstructionists and those weak-willed individuals who were swayed into thinking that there would somehow be more violence if the referendum were upheld, a theory which has been proven entirely false. The legislative branch had completely failed in its duties to represent the people of the Federation and to act as a responsible governing body. Furthermore, the Federal capital had fallen and two states at the core of the Federation had been plunged into chaos, while Congress was considering the urgent issue of wedding plans in Sopron.

With those extraordinary circumstances, the President was the only source of responsible authority to be had within the Federation, and thus I believe that his emergency powers permitted him to declare the referendum upheld in order to end the violence and the chaos. It is unfortunate that he was forced to bypass Congress due to the sheer recklessness and irresponsibility of a minority of this chamber, but ultimately it had to be done, and I fully support his courageous action. That those members who contributed directly to this situation through their inaction now have the gall to engage in partisan backbiting over this issue after having sat out the entire action in Sopron (or having fled the country entirely) is both sad and more than a little pathetic.

President Valenta had the courage to enter Vienna and solve the problem. We sat on our hands and discussed flower arrangements and now we criticize what was done to prevent a massacre of civilians and soldiers alike?

You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

~ Benjamin Cermak, Deputy of Slovakia

I believe that the President has both the authority and the imperative to enact the results of the referendum, given the circumstances. The very fabric of the Federation was being torn apart by a minority of reactionary obstructionists and those weak-willed individuals who were swayed into thinking that there would somehow be more violence if the referendum were upheld, a theory which has been proven entirely false. The legislative branch had completely failed in its duties to represent the people of the Federation and to act as a responsible governing body. Furthermore, the Federal capital had fallen and two states at the core of the Federation had been plunged into chaos, while Congress was considering the urgent issue of wedding plans in Sopron.

With those extraordinary circumstances, the President was the only source of responsible authority to be had within the Federation, and thus I believe that his emergency powers permitted him to declare the referendum upheld in order to end the violence and the chaos. It is unfortunate that he was forced to bypass Congress due to the sheer recklessness and irresponsibility of a minority of this chamber, but ultimately it had to be done, and I fully support his courageous action. That those members who contributed directly to this situation through their inaction now have the gall to engage in partisan backbiting over this issue after having sat out the entire action in Sopron (or having fled the country entirely) is both sad and more than a little pathetic.

President Valenta had the courage to enter Vienna and solve the problem. We sat on our hands and discussed flower arrangements and now we criticize what was done to prevent a massacre of civilians and soldiers alike?

I actually second this statement. We all must do our part to secure the stability of the Federation.

-Col. Afonso Núñez Doval (Col. from Lemberg, Galicia)

A letter arrives on the desk of the Minister of War from Milko Kos, Colonel of the Carniolan Militia, formally requesting a transfer into the Federal army. In it, Kos expresses that Kos will accept a demotion if he must.

I am incensed that these two Slovak gentlemen think that they may not only trample on the constitution; but tell Councillor Kraus and I that we either do not accurately represent our constituents; or that the people of Austria, monarchist and pro-choice alike, are dangerous fanatics. Perhaps you should look to the DRB and the late unpleasantness and clean your own house rather than insult ours.

-Joachim von Kirchberg,
Councillor of Austria &c.

I firmly oppose these ridiculous and wrong accusations against our President. Those that he is somehow a coward are simply false. Unless now cowardice is refusing to shoot on your own people and capital. How can anyone oppose this? especially Austrians?!? Would you rather have created martyrs and instilled a newly fueled anger in radical republicans across the Federation? We would only have proven ourselves to be the horrid authoritarian regime that some believe we are, choosing rather to shoot and kill than to compromise for peace! I am proud to call Valenta my President and praise his actions in the past weeks. Now to all of you in Congress, as the referendum once again comes into vote I urge you to vote yes. We hold Schmidt in custody already, and you would now go against the treaty and commit this unlawful backstabbing. If nothing else I appeal to your sense of honor, there is no honor in voting nay now.

Bedřich Pištora, Interim Deputy for Bohemia

The rebels may now be suppressed, but what of their puppet-masters in the Hofburg?

I cannot believe how blatantly the self-styled champions of the people hold the electorate in contempt. Do they truly expect them to accept this pantomime at face value? Do they think their tenuous efforts to present themselves as victims of an impromptu revolt credulous? The brigades have been revealed to be masterminded by a minister of state, Lukas Schmidt. As if by Providence, this long-dormant product of the civil war suddenly leapt into action and seized Vienna - just after the anti-monarchist measure, so prized by their ideological henchmen, failed to pass through Congress. And where did this miraculous army of Jacobinism suddenly spring from? Why, the State of Slovakia - homeland of that most vocal demagogue of the radical revolution, Aurel Sykora. And what, at the juncture of absolute annihilation, did these brigades demand as term of surrender? None other than the abolition of monarchy throughout the Federation - delivering unto government all that it wanted in the first place. Convenient, is it not? Or should I refer to the fact that only Messrs Popa and Revenjo, the conservative opportunists, have been dismissed for their implication in the unrest, while those who backed it implicitly, such as Mr Sykora, are exempted without comment? This was not a coup against the government - it was a conspiracy against this Federation, spearheaded by the very peopled elected to preserve and defend it.

And now, these same individuals present the insidious fait accompli whereby, in the name of 'peace', the legislature is sidelined in favour of presidential tyranny. The anti-federalists have sought to shelter this subversion from scrutiny, outfitting it in the vestments of necessity and pragmatism, even admonishing those who remained loyal to the Federation while they furnished its enemies with legitimacy. But not even a Cicero could obscure the overt unconstitutionality of this measure. The President cannot enact the referendum by executive decree. That is not an opinion; that is a fact. No such power is afforded to him by the Constitution of the Federation. He cannot aspire to precedent, for none exists. And if this Federation is based on law, and I believe - the activities of Jacobin gangsters notwithstanding - that it is, then let us do what we were elected to do and uphold the law:

III. The results of this referendum must be upheld by Congress or all members of Congress will be dismissed and an election shall be held to replace them.

And there you have it. The Referendum Act specifically allocated that the ratification of the referendum is derived from the Congress, not the President. He has no power to implement the referendum unilaterally; aside from being unconstitutional and unlawful, it is also contrary to the very act that provided for the referendum. So if Mr Valenta is so intent on seeing this iconoclasm thrust upon the Federation, then he shall to wait until the next session of Congress to introduce another bill to provide for another referendum. Perhaps he can draft such a bill so as to bypass the federal institutions he so evidently despises.

On that note, I call upon the Speaker to dissolve this Congress in accordance with the failure of the referendum to be passed into law, and demonstrate that this is still a federation bound by legalism and proper procedure, not populism and mob rule.

~ Sangster

A flurry of shouting can be heard at the front of the Council doors, curious onlookers can not see who it is through the majority of the Romanian Deputies and Councillors trying to block the person from entering. Popa, heavily using his cane, pushes through the crowd, whom all respectfully concede to his decision. He limps over to his old seat in an abnormally dead quiet Chambers. Assisted by Borys, he sits down and gives the entirety of the Chambers a gigantic smile.

I'm glad to be back, how are things?

I firmly oppose these ridiculous and wrong accusations against our President. Those that he is somehow a coward are simply false. Unless now cowardice is refusing to shoot on your own people and capital. How can anyone oppose this? especially Austrians?!? Would you rather have created martyrs and instilled a newly fueled anger in radical republicans across the Federation? We would only have proven ourselves to be the horrid authoritarian regime that some believe we are, choosing rather to shoot and kill than to compromise for peace! I am proud to call Valenta my President and praise his actions in the past weeks. Now to all of you in Congress, as the referendum once again comes into vote I urge you to vote yes. We hold Schmidt in custody already, and you would now go against the treaty and commit this unlawful backstabbing. If nothing else I appeal to your sense of honor, there is no honor in voting nay now.

Bedřich Pištora, Interim Deputy for Bohemia

There is no honor in killing Cretan monarchists and flirting with the leftist rebels. There is no honor in issuing non-constitutional orders and concluding traitorous agreements with criminals behind the back of the Congress. There is no honor in trying to use the rebellion for your own political gain. The decision on upholding the results of referendum was already made. It did not reach the required majority in the Congress. And now the President and his gang are trying to change the situation by criminal methods, They tried to intimidate us, to bully us into submission. But we are not their puppets. We should show these people that we will never let them usurp the rights of other governmental bodies. We should show them that they will never reach their goals by fraud. And we should not let mobsters dictate us their terms, In other case, our country will turn into empire of gangsters, that will be always ruled by armed rogues and their high-ranked supporters. Every honorable man must vote "nay" now. We cannot allow these people to set a dangerous precedent.

- Graf Peter von der Pahlen, Deputy for Silesia

It is wonderful to see you back, Andrei.

-W.L., Hochmeister von Deutscher Orden, Foreign Minister, Liberal

If Herr Feldmarschall Revenjo is in custody when he has done nothing but win battles, do his duty, and provide glory for the Federation, then Herr Popa should be similarly restricted. He is nothing but another vicious demagogue who stands for nothing, respects no-one, and is nothing but a rude and malign influence in these halls.

-Joachim von Kirchberg,
&c.

Be that as it may, Herr von Kirchberg, Herr Popa stood trial, if you will, via that old medium of the duel. If the Herr Feldmarschall wished to do the same, I would have no objections. Neither, might I add, would I object to his acquittal.

I would also ask that you refrain from branding Herr Popa a 'viscious demagogue,' and rude. He certainly does not 'respect no-one' ((sorry for the double negative)) either.

-W.L., Hochmeister von Deutscher Orden, Foreign Minister, Liberal

Popa looks in scorn at Kirchberg

You are just some country hack of some backwater party. You have no say in bigger things. Stay your tongue.

Yet again the issues of federal monarchies is being raised. Yet again we will have pointless debates that will lead nowhere.

Some people will always be republican and some will always be royalist, this will never change. Those that claim that abolishing monarchies will simply cause the question to disappear in a moment are deluded. Look at Austria, the state where the Habsburgs were overthrown. Already large crowds of people are claiming they would like a return to the monarchist system, or at least would like the ability to choose their form of government. But the left replies that they cannot. It is ironic, of course, that the people who so loudly scream about human liberty really believe people must not be allowed to choose what form of government they want. I do not know of any monarchist in this congress who would wish to dissolve all federal republics and replace them with monarchies, but I know of many republicans (in fact almost all the republicans) who would wish to dissolve all monarchies. The monarchists do not keep bringing this subject up. The Silesians are content to keep their monarchy and not force it on anyone else.

Opposition to monarchies really only rests on one idea: that they are incompatible with 'democracy'. That is of course, blatantly false. The ideals of parliamentary democracy arose within the United Kingdom, where the monarchy is very popular and well respected. The UK is just as democratic as the Federation, and far more democratic than many 'Republics' (try speaking against Robespierre during the Reign of Terror to see how much that Republic would respect your rights). A monarchy can never be Republican (having an elected head of state) but it can certainly be democratic (free and fair elections held on issues and politicians). The monarchist state of Silesia is just as democratic as Slovakia. Infantile cries of King = Bad are the closest the radical republicans get to arguments.

There is only one way to end the monarchy question. And that is to make it wholly a matter of state choice. If the people of a state want a monarchy, they should have one, if they want a republic, they should have that option. Anything else will only lead to more violence. The Cretan and DRB rebellions would never have occurred if the referendum was not proposed. Both sides may be guilty of violence, but it is clear how this violence started.

As to the protests in Slovakia, I highly doubt that these came without encouragement from Sykora and his fellow ideologues. Most people across the Federation are perfectly happy to live and let live. In fact, in Austria we have seen more and more people agreeing that states should be allowed to choose their government, as evidenced by recent peaceful protests.

I repeat, there is one way to end this question and that is to leave it to the states. Overcome your ideological misgivings and allow the people the freedom you claim to wish for them.

- Konstantinos Venizelos, Councillor for Crete

Popa looks in scorn at Kirchberg

You are just some country hack of some backwater party. You have no say in bigger things. Stay your tongue.
Kirchberg spits in Popa's direction, and ignores him.

I question the legality of the presidents executive order, because I never agreed upon a president with power to arbitrary pass consitutional amendments - especially after being blocked by congress.

- Frydryk Augustyniak, Councilor of Silesia

If the Republic was stable, perhaps you would not see men advocating for the return of the Emperor..

((So the clause designed to 'fear' us into voting the result through is what allowed us to reject the referendum? Nice.))
((Still needs a CA in order to have a different process to pass CAs.))

I'd request my trial begin as soon as possible, and call upon the Courts and Congress to participate in said hearing.

Dear Janos Papp,

Good sir, I appreciate the concerns you have put forward, and I will address them within my court. I assure you that I expose no ambition but victory, nor rally support for malcontent. You are not entitled to believe me, but perhaps this shall serve as a message of friendship, rather then malice.

Symon Revenjo
Dear Symon Revenjo,

Unfortunately reading the battle reports from your Sardinian and Tuscan counterparts only served to confirm my fears. I hope they too will be read at your trial - it is time for the glory you have unjustly covered yourself with to be dissipated.

~ Janos Papp,

Surely you do not ignore the fact that the Constitution can only be amended by a two thirds majority of Congress ((which theAhawk confirmed and didn't even think was necessary creating a Supreme Court ruling for)), and not by a simple word of the President ?

Dear Symon Revenjo,

Unfortunately reading the battle reports from your Sardinian and Tuscan counterparts only served to confirm my fears. I hope they too will be read at your trial - it is time for the glory you have unjustly covered yourself with to be dissipated.

~ Janos Papp,

((The speeches and such would not be included in said battle reports, they simply serve their as backdrops. Also, the Battle of Nice post was not a battle-report, as it had already been posted in the update and was more of a creative writing assignment I indulged in. Nonetheless, glory has no part in any of them, anyway. Battle Reports are labeled--battle reports.))

((The speeches and such would not be included in said battle reports, they simply serve their as backdrops. Also, the Battle of Nice post was not a battle-report, as it had already been posted in the update and was more of a creative writing assignment I indulged in. Nonetheless, glory has no part in any of them, anyway. Battle Reports are labeled--battle reports.))
((I actually didn't read it haha. I just assumed that title of "Victor of Nice" you've taken was justified there - and if I recall from theAhawk, that battle was led by a Sardinian general.))

Status
Not open for further replies.