• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
((Can't believe I missed a new Interactive AAR... must be slipping...))

Portrait of de Palma, aged 32
Francesco de Palma
Born: 29 May 1823, Milan
Ethnicity: Italian (Lombard)
Party: Danubian Liberal Alliance (1848), Italian Independence Party/Republican Alliance (184:cool:
Office: Captain in the Austrian Artillery Corps (1845-1848), Deputy for Lombardia (1848-1860), Vice President (1860-)

The son of a Milanese bureaucrat, Francesco received a strong, though informal, education; when a wealthy aristocrat noticed that the young man had an aptitude for science and math, he pulled a few strings and soon Francesco was attending the University of Vienna, which is where he became acquainted with many liberal and radical ideas. He graduated in 1845 and promptly enlisted in the Austrian Army as an artilleryman; by the time of the 1848 Revolution, he was a Captain.
At the onset of the fighting, de Palma initially sided with the Royalist forces, but in April, 1848, he (and the majority of the men under his command), announced their support for the rebel cause. He and his men would serve in most major battles of the conflict, from Vienna to Prague.
Immediately after the civil war ended, de Palma returned to Milan and was appointed a Deputy for Lombardia (with the support of his wealthy patron), after the capture and execution of several Royalist deputies opened a few positions. He joined the DLA shortly after his appointment, and is largely regarded as a moderate, with ties to the Italian Independence Party.

At the behest of future War Minister Domenico Mocenigo, he later joined the IIP, and followed several backroom deals (which today are still debated rather heavily amongst Italian political scholars) established himself as its new chairman. Remaining a rather quiet member of the government for several years, he announced in 1856 that the IIP would be renamed Republican Alliance and that he would be running for President of the Federation; during the Alliance (a collection of independent centre-left parties) primary, he defeated his rival and fellow Lombard, Rodrigo Vertucci, which would spawn years of fighting between the two men. Against Victor Kraus (often referred to derisively as King Silvertongue), he and the liberals lost.

Last edited:
[German]
Slovak Nationality Act: ABSTAIN
Székely National Act: ABSTAIN
Territorial Integrity of the States Act: ABSTAIN
Private Militias Act: AYE
Statistical Representation Act: AYE
Autonomy Act: ABSTAIN
Federal Protection of the Danube Bill: AYE

Protection of Krakow: AYE

- Konrad Egeler, Councilor for Hungary

((When does voting end?))

Welcome Deputy de Palma, though your history is disconcerting, I hope that you have a fruitful time here in the Federal Council Chambers.

I also believe we need to Support Krakow. God willing, the Bear shall be broken in the Carpathians.

~Vice President Ion Horsa C.

((There is no PM mentionned in the rules. He would probably be appointed by the president anyway. Do they have a PM or equivalent in the US ?))
((The US has the Speakers of the House and Senate, who I guess are kind of like Prime Ministers in a way, but not really.))

I haven't spoken about Krakow yet, mostly because I don't see the point. The Russian bear should not be disturbed. No need to risk occupation of the homeland over this. I vote NAY on the Protection of Krakow.

You do not see the point, Councillor Gyula? While I must say you are generally a wise and resolute man, I am astounded by your callous lack of regard for the city of Krakow. Krakow is an ally and friend of this Federation, and it is our duty to assist them. If the future, if our Federation comes under attack, we would expect the aid of our Allies, would we not? Those Allies would look to our previous relationship and dealings with our Allies. If we betray Krakow now, those Allies would not trust us, and abandon us in our time in need. We abandon Krakow now, we shall be abandoning the Federation in some future point.

Mr. de Nyitra, you say our allies will not trust us. But our only one is Prussia, who is already a very tempermental friend. If we save Krakow, me should bring Prussia in, which they will to retake Konigsburg. This will help the pressure on our Front.

~Vice President Ion Horsa C.

We were never really friendly with Krakow. They were royalists during the revolution, and then they stayed royalist for a while afterwards. They only come begging to us now when the Czar is knocking on the door. In my opinion the security of our borders is way more important than Krakow. War with Russia is suicide.

Welcome Deputy de Palma! While I see that you are a member of the DLA, I urge you to consider the possibility of joining the Independent Italian Party. Although it is moderately conservative, don't let this scare you away. We accept moderately liberal Italians as well, because only together shall Italians provide a united voice for our interests.

Last edited:
We were never really friendly with Krakow. They were royalists during the revolution, and then they stayed royalist for a while afterwards. They only come begging to us now when the Czar is knocking on the door. In my opinion the security of our borders is way more important than Krakow. War with Russia is suicide.

Their political loyalties are irrelevant. Do we question the governance of Prussia, even though we are allied with them? No, of course we do not, we respect their sovereignty, as you would be wise to respect Krakowian sovereignty. And let us not forget, this illegal occupation is itself a threat to our borders. It opens up a whole new front against the Russians, for the states of Bohemia and Galicia. We must act to defend ourselves, and defend the Federation's allies.

Their political loyalties are irrelevant. Do we question the governance of Prussia, even though we are allied with them? No, of course we do not, we respect their sovereignty, as you would be wise to respect Krakowian sovereignty. And let us not forget, this illegal occupation is itself a threat to our borders. It opens up a whole new front against the Russians, for the states of Bohemia and Galicia. We must act to defend ourselves, and defend the Federation's allies.

I agree with this and will support anything with helping krakow, I would also like to promote and support my mentor's plan for the railroads (Ion horsa) for we should bring Transylvania into the negotiations on the railroads. Railroads aren't only used for the industy but also faster communing from region to region and of course transportation of the soldiers! How can we effectively bring support to the front lines if it takes a week to reach them? I will abstain from all of the bills, save for the protection of the danube bill. We have to act on russia! We provided an guarantee to these people for their freedom, if we do not honor this why would we expect any of our other allies to come to our aide? This is not just about over-agression gentlemen it's about principle. I would also support for franz joseph to be welcome back into the federation but we would also must put him on house arrest for the time being.

I would like to make a special speech to everyone present at this time regarding Krakow. While I respect that some of you may have legitimate aims for the promotion of democracy, especially from my own party, I would like you all to think of something. Think of all the young men you are sending off to die in hellish battles, to save "national face", and "the prestige of the nation". What if your son was being sent off to die on the Polish battlefields? What if it was your wife who is going to be beaten and raped by marauding soldiers, or your child who will be shot in the head for the amusement of a drunken soldier? If you do insist on sending our people off to die against the Bear, then I must ask one final thing. When the soldiers leave for the front, I want you to look into their eyes and remember them. Remember them as they are, alive and still breathing, rather than the corpses they shall soon become. See how many come back, and comfort the widows and mothers who have lost their husbands and sons. See if maybe you realize the horror you have unleashed. I know I will not be popular for this, but I implore you, stop this madness at once, the only time at which war becomes inevitable is when everyone believes it to be!

Councillor Obradovic, a war with Russia, or indeed another nation, is an inevitability. You cannot be no naive and childish as to appeal and think of base emotions in this issue. Many will die, yes, but they will do so in a glorious cause, and in the prevention of future conflict. For if we do not stop Russia now, then I shall expect them to move for Moldovia, and Bulgaria, and Silesia, and in their scheme entrap us. The Tsar opposes us, and we must teach him that the Federation is here to stay. The number who die in this conflict will be far fewer than those who may potentaly die in a future, far more bloody conflict with Russia, which would occur if we stalled on this incident.

Do not forget the truth of Horace's immortal words - 'Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.'

I, President Nikolić after much reluctance agree that we must Protect Krakow . After the Tzars insulting behavior towards our nation!

The Ban of Private Militias Act: Aye
The Territorial integrity of States + amendments: Aye
Federal Army of the Danube bill: Aye
Slovak Nationality Act: Nay
Székely National Act: Nay
Statistical Representation Act: Nay
Autonomy Act: Aye
[Serbian]

As President of the Danubian Federation, these past years we have seen great change! From the revolution in 1848 until now a free federation! Our economy is continually growing through the creation of railroads, industries and mines! I hope to see this nation thrive and continue for years to come as a mulch-ethnic, liberal federation! May this Krakow intervention may not lead to war and can be solved with diplomatic action, but if not war is what it is. God bless the citizens of the federation!

~ President Vlado Nikolić

Last edited:
Mr. President what do you think of building railroads on the front lines for transportation of supplies to the troops? It would shorten the travel from weeks to days and will bring new recruits faster then them traveling on foot!

We do not have an army for parades, Councillor ((Obradovic - I took awhile to post, though :p )). War is a real threat, not some optional folly or frivolous exercise, but a real thing that sometimes must happen in the real world. What did Krakow, our ally - and may I remind us all that alliances and diplomacy are ways to try to avoid war, and becoming a traitor of diplomacy has no benefits in diplomacy - a free nation, a free people, a people even considering joining in our federation of equality (and who would have rejected them, had things gone differently? How can we say that these men would be our brothers - except if we must help them? Is this how we would treat our own brothers?) think when its young men and its wives and its children faced the Russian invasion? What will Galicia think, when its turn comes? What will Croatia think, when the sultan sees his time? We bleed to avoid worse bloodshed. It is not a pleasant exercise, but it is not optional either - not in the burning streets of Vienna, nor now if I must stand with the young men in Galicia. This is the way of the world.

Mr. President what do you think of building railroads on the front lines for transportation of supplies to the troops? It would shorten the travel from weeks to days and will bring new recruits faster then them traveling on foot!

I will try my absolute best to build quick railway lines on the front. To ensure, the quick deployment of troops and equipment.

~ President Vlado Nikolić

Councillor Obradovic, a war with Russia, or indeed another nation, is an inevitability. You cannot be no naive and childish as to appeal and think of base emotions in this issue. Many will die, yes, but they will do so in a glorious cause, and in the prevention of future conflict. For if we do not stop Russia now, then I shall expect them to move for Moldovia, and Bulgaria, and Silesia, and in their scheme entrap us. The Tsar opposes us, and we must teach him that the Federation is here to stay. The number who die in this conflict will be far fewer than those who may potentaly die in a future, far more bloody conflict with Russia, which would occur if we stalled on this incident.

Do not forget the truth of Horace's immortal words - 'Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.'

I can see I will not be able to convince you of the foolishness of this endeavour, so I leave you with the words of one of the great men of our sister democracy: "The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home." -James Madison

Status
Not open for further replies.