• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Minister Than's point regarding the WEMA and hereby change my vote on it.

War and Emergency Measures Act: Nay

[Cisalpina]

~ Silvestro Marconi, President of and Councillor for Cisalpina

(( FoE now has a Wikia page (here).It's not much at the moment, but please contribute to help make it a useful resource. Hopefully there will be pages on every character, a working recap, lists of bills passed and lots more, which can all be updated by all of us. Thank you, and I hope you all contribute.))

((If you have problems with it, please contact me or theAhawk.))

AMC- Nay
SS-Aye

Also, I will strongly oppose the abolition of the death penalty. There are perverted maniacs who raped and killed young girls. There are bandits who killed dozens of people, in order to rob them. There are terrorists and traitors who tried to undermine the state. Their innocent victims are in their graves - and we will be giving their murderers "сhoices"? Will we be spending taxpayers' money on food and accomodation for these criminals? This not justice, this is sentimental nonsense.

Our Lord has given certain rights to the lawful rulers. Among them there is a right to judge and execute criminals. "Authority does not bear the sword in vain!" (Romans 13:1-5). The Old Testament Law prescribes the death penalty for an extensive list of crimes, and our Saviour said that his mission was not to abolish the Law, but to fulfill it. The commandment "Thou shalt not kill" refers only to unlawful killing ("ratsach").

- Graf Peter von der Pahlen, Deputy for Silesia

It is a moral decision! We have long lost the basis of what humanity should strive to be, Christians should strive to be, a democracy should strive to be! It is morally wrong for the state to kill. The individual is now in our courts, no longer a threat and at the mercy of our courts. Yet, humanity has long cast aside morality believing that "justice" is ending that mans life. Now I plead the reason of morality, but that is not the only reason for this. Is death not an easy way out for our harshest criminals? Do these people as Mr. von der Pahlen has described rapists, bandits, and murderers deserve to simply be taken out. Those men have committed wrongs that yes, are to many of us seeming inexcusable, but we only see the action that occurred. The murder, the rape, and on, but we forget that these are still humans. They were not born to do those actions, but the situations of their lives be they led on by economic status, environment, or parental or other guidance were what changed that. They are still human, they were just a babe once, but the circumstances changed the outcome of their lives. Uncontrollable circumstances at that. That is why mercy is to be given, that is why it is morally wrong.

to whom it may concern

My name is Wilhelm Kerhasi and I have long served the Federation as a soldier rather than an administrator or politician because I believed--based on my skills, politics (or lack thereof), and shortcomings--that through working in the military I could most usefully serve my country. The occupation and subsequent subjugation of Tunisia (a primitive land transformed by the great good work of my Governor-General Jovan Lilic into an oasis of modern governance and culture) was, to me, an extremely worthwhile venture that allowed me to exercise my skill set to further the cause of the Federation. However, soon after I quite happily accepted the position of Lieutenant-Governor of Tunisia, I realized that I was neither well suited to the post nor the post to me. It was a prestigious jump from officer to Tunisia's second-in-command but I have not the skills required to carry out the duties affixed to the role of Lieutenant-Governor.

Furthermore, as the War of Spanish Aggression progresses, I find it impossible to ignore and distance myself from what will doubtless be a hard fought campaign upon which the future of our nation depends. The coming excursion into the Iberian Peninsula is sure to try the abilities of our generals, test the mettle of our soldiers, and require the unrelenting efforts of the Federation. However, from my faraway perch in Tunisia, I can do little to aid my brothers as they prepare to fight and die for the furtherance of the Federation. I can only sit in port-side cafés and voraciously read the newspapers.

So, after much consideration, I have decided to step down as Lieutenant-Governor of Tunisia so that I can enlist in the Federal armed forces once more.

Although my work in Tunisia is undoubtedly left--for now--unfinished, I can do naught but follow my conscious when faced with such a fast-approaching grand conflict. I had previously renounced my position in the military when I assumed a Federal administrative role and I will stand by that former renunciation; I will, unless prompted otherwise, not attempt to salvage my position as officer and instead will enlist at the very bottom of the chain of command.

--Kerhasi--

((nice job on the Wiki!))

The act that currently threatens our glorious Federation is none other than the infamous Liberty of the States Act. This act proposes that we, that is the Federal Congress and the Federal Government and the Federal Judiciary, cede "right to interfere in how a State conducts its affairs". This right, in its simplest form, is all that holds our nation together. This bill proposes we sunder the Federal government from the States such that we become impotent to act. It prevents the Federal and Metropolitan Police from doing any sort of national policing, thus making it much harder to fight organised crime and criminals who flee across state borders. It prevents this Congress from levying taxes, without which we would very quickly go bankrupt. In doing so, it would prevent any sort of Armed Forces from existing. It takes all Federal funding from programmes like free education and the, admittedly limited, current benefits system. It also makes us impotent to legislate with regards to nearly every aspect of our citizens' lives; the proposed bills regulating working conditions would have to be scrapped. Federal laws supporting trade unions would disappear. In short, everything this Congress has achieved over the last 15 years, or promises to do in the next hundred would be utterly destroyed if we were to implement this act.

I would like the respected Councillor to point out exactly where in the bill policing, taxes or social reforms are mentioned. The act is solely about the structures of government. These comments have no purpose other than to distract from the point of the Liberty of States Act.

So what this bill is, in essence is not about liberty. That facade of well-meaning joviality is quickly stripped away. It would be far better termed the "Tyranny of the States Act" because that is what this bill represents, the first step on the surprisingly short road to the dissolution of our Federation. A prelude to the opera of the Federation's tragic demise, which will not be full of beautiful Arias and Sonatas, but tinged red by the blood that will flow through the streets of Vienna and every city in this fair land. In short, I call every man in this House, and in the one across the hall, to oppose with all his might that which would tear our nation apart. Vote against the "Tyranny of the States Act" and for a better future.

Why will letting each state have whatever upper house and head of state they want lead to bloody civil chaos? Perhaps fanatics like the DRB will be upset, but are they really the audience we wish to represent? Again, "Tyranny of the States Act" is nothing more than rhetoric, designed to make a bill that will simply allow peoples to democratically decide their form of the executive branch seem like an act to re-establish the Habsburgs. Our Federation is united not by blood, religion or language, but by our commitment to a federal democracy. If an act like the "Democratic Republic Act" passes, the freedom of states to determine their own form of government will be removed. The bloody spectre of nationalism and separatism will be reawakened. Federalism is what has allowed us to survive so long. Federalism is what allows each separate state to live in peace and harmony with the others. If we remove our allegiance to federalism, we will not last ten years.

- Konstantinos Venizelos, Councillor for Crete

Wilhelm Kerhasi, you are promoted to the position of colonel under the 1st Southern Army. You will therefore be directly under my command in the following days.

-Symon Revenjo

Wilhelm Kerhasi, you are promoted to the position of colonel under the 1st Southern Army. You will therefore be directly under my command in the following days.

-Symon Revenjo

W-Words cannot express my gratitude. I will prove myself worthy of this position. I am ready to lay down my life in defense of the 1st Southern Army and the Federation.

--Kerhasi--

What is this? Is our new tactic one of concentrating our best leadership in one single army? I'd rather see promising officers in the 1st Southern Army, who have no chance of promotion within the 1st Southern Army, replacing incompetent... rear ends... in command of Armies on our Ottoman border.

- Ritter Ervin von Braunschweig, Freiherr von Durz, State President of and Councillor for Albania (SDP)

In response to my Hungarian colleague, Imre Than, I must speak about the dangers of the Democratic Republic act. If the Democratic Republic Act passes, it will alienate and radicalize a good portion of our population. Monarchists throughout our Federation seek to establish a constitutional monarchy through peaceful and democratic means, as is proven in Silesia. Another thing proven in Silesia is that these constitutional monarchies are very stable and give freedom and democracy to its subjects. However, if this hypocritically named Democratic Republic act passes, the monarchist will not be able to attain their goals through peaceful and democratic means. They will be forced to turn to violence in order to achieve their aims, as was proven on my beautiful island. The monarchists of Crete were afraid that the damned Referendum on Monarchies would deprive them of the ability to implement their beliefs through the democratic process. This act would cause the same thing to occur again in Crete and also in many other states, namely Silesia and Austria. We must adopt a confederalist policy of allowing the states to decide their own government, without the interference of the Federal Government. For in the end, the men of Prague have no place telling the men of Heraklion what their government must be. So, in honor of Mr. Than's moving speech I will dub this poorly named act, the "Oppression of the States Act."

((What is happening to Popa? Because there is a by election coming up in Oradea and I want to know who wins))

In response to my Hungarian colleague, Imre Than, I must speak about the dangers of the Democratic Republic act. If the Democratic Republic Act passes, it will alienate and radicalize a good portion of our population. Monarchists throughout our Federation seek to establish a constitutional monarchy through peaceful and democratic means, as is proven in Silesia. Another thing proven in Silesia is that these constitutional monarchies are very stable and give freedom and democracy to its subjects. However, if this hypocritically named Democratic Republic act passes, the monarchist will not be able to attain their goals through peaceful and democratic means. They will be forced to turn to violence in order to achieve their aims, as was proven on my beautiful island. The monarchists of Crete were afraid that the damned Referendum on Monarchies would deprive them of the ability to implement their beliefs through the democratic process. This act would cause the same thing to occur again in Crete and also in many other states, namely Silesia and Austria. We must adopt a confederalist policy of allowing the states to decide their own government, without the interference of the Federal Government. For in the end, the men of Prague have no place telling the men of Heraklion what their government must be. So, in honor of Mr. Than's moving speech I will dub this poorly named act, the "Oppression of the States Act."

The Monarchists are only a fraction of the people who will be upset. Every States Rights supporter, many who aren't Monarchists would be alarmed if the bill goes through.

The Monarchists are only a fraction of the people who will be upset. Every States Rights supporter, many who aren't Monarchists would be alarmed if the bill goes through.

Too bad the two sins seem to collide more often than not... We are the Danubian Federation, Councillor, not the Danubian Alliance.

- Ritter Ervin von Braunschweig, Freiherr von Durz, State President of and Councillor for Albania (SDP)

Oh of course Mr. Rosza. I am not a monarchist myself and I would be upset. However, I do not believe that my fellow confederalists would turn violence in order to fight for states rights. The fight would be started by the monarchists, with the confederalists joining them and making up the bulk of the rebellion.

Not at all, Councillor. You quite misunderstand the situation. My good friend and colleague, Silvestro Marconi, thinks the best way to solve our constitutional problems is to stick our heads in the sand and pretend nothing ever happened until the issue disappears. Clearly, this is nonsensical. Things don't get better by wishing for them to; just as a doctor knows, the right medicine has to be prescribed for the patient to get better. Action then is what is needed, and in that action, we are sure to offend one group or another, but the sooner we act, the better it will be; a medicine administered once the patient is already dead will do him no good - we must act before our Federation has the chance to descend into anarchy.

That means we have two options. Either we side with the Liberty of the States Act, and let our Federation dissolve, or we side with the Democratic Republic Act, and our Federation survives. Both options will bring strife, but only one is a cure. The Liberty of the States Act is like proscribing cyanide to cure a patient; he might no longer have the illness, but he's dead too. For that reason, we must support the Democratic Republic Act, even if it might have some unsavory consequences, because it is the best course left open to us.

I would like the respected Councillor to point out exactly where in the bill policing, taxes or social reforms are mentioned. The act is solely about the structures of government. These comments have no purpose other than to distract from the point of the Liberty of States Act.

Why will letting each state have whatever upper house and head of state they want lead to bloody civil chaos? Perhaps fanatics like the DRB will be upset, but are they really the audience we wish to represent? Again, "Tyranny of the States Act" is nothing more than rhetoric, designed to make a bill that will simply allow peoples to democratically decide their form of the executive branch seem like an act to re-establish the Habsburgs. Our Federation is united not by blood, religion or language, but by our commitment to a federal democracy. If an act like the "Democratic Republic Act" passes, the freedom of states to determine their own form of government will be removed. The bloody spectre of nationalism and separatism will be reawakened. Federalism is what has allowed us to survive so long. Federalism is what allows each separate state to live in peace and harmony with the others. If we remove our allegiance to federalism, we will not last ten years.

- Konstantinos Venizelos, Councillor for Crete

This is clearly nonsense; to directly quote from the bill "the Federal Government has no right to interfere in how a State conducts it's affairs". This is as clear as it comes - it means the Federal government loses all rights over the states in all regards. This is about far more than just government types. Not only that, however, because this bill, even without the fourth clause, is not acceptable. It's a slippery slope. The thin end of the wedge. It's the beginning of the end. A Bennite solution. If we say states have the right to choose their government without consultation of the Federal government, where does it end? It provides a pretext for the states to get away with murder, possibly quite literally. You are indeed correct that Federalism is what has allowed us to survive this long. You are not advocating Federalism, however; you are calling for regionalism, confederalism and madness.

((What is happening to Popa? Because there is a by election coming up in Oradea and I want to know who wins))

((I'd quite forgotten about that... I'll get back to you.))

Last edited:
Vlad receives a letter posted from Oradea

I am sorry, however there seems to be a by election over the leader of Bihor County. I will return, or Popa will...

Vlad's face gives visible distaste. He bows and leaves for the first train to Oradea.

I completely support the points made by Councillor Than, it was about time that the sensible and reasonable politicians of this Federation rebelled against these dangerous Confederalists that wish to destroy our nation in the name of egoistical regionalism!

- Pier Paolo Arpaio
Councillor for Cisalpina

((I'd quite forgotten about that... I'll get back to you.))

(Jeeshadow said he was going to post something about it or do it in tandem with you ahawk today so poke him)

Status
Not open for further replies.