• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Name: Ion Horsa Codrinaru
Dob: June 3rd, 1812 (36)
Place of Birth: Oradea, Transylvania
Culture: Romanian
Position: Nobility, (party leader?), and Councillor for Transylvania
Bio: One of the few members of native Romanian aristocracy in Transylvania, Codrinaru is a fighter for ethnic Romanian rights. The Codrinaru family is one of the largest landowners in the eastern Transylvania. Considered rather mercurial by both his political allies and enemies, Ion does not follow a doctrine as much as takes advantage of situations for Romanian benefit.

((Political parties can be formed by anyone at anytime; the aim is to encourage a wide range of parties that form coalitions during election time despite having different structures, reflecting the partisan nature of the country (though in there first election, we won't be having a primary so it will just be the first however many people who nominate themselves) ))

Name: Victor Kraus
Date of Birth: February 1st, 1803
Place of Birth: Vienna, Austria
Culture: German
Position: Capitalist & Member of the Federal Council ((if being an Capitalist is inappropiate, can you make Kraus an Austrian military officer please?))
Bio: Born into a small noble family, Kraus had to watch as his father threw away the family fortune in foolish business ventures and then lose the rest as he turned to gambling and drink. Kraus served for a short time in the artillery brigades of the Austrian army as an officer, until his father finally perished. Kraus took hold of what little money was left of the family fortune and began to invest heavily in the armament factories that were begining to appear in Austria. Having fully recovered his family fortune, and adding to it tenfold since he inherited it, Victor Kraus is one of the most influential capitalists in Austria. Kraus has acquired considerable political clout by using his noble birth and wealth to force himself onto the Austrian Federal Council. Believing stability is the key to progress, Kraus loathes revoultionaries and anything that could disrupt the careful balancing act that is the Austrian Empire. He owes his loyalty to the royalty, and nobility, but is unwilling to throw away everything he worked so hard to achieve by blindy following orders. Kraus is an ally of the Monarchy, but he is not a fool.

((You can be a capitalist and a member of the Federal Council; you cannot, however, be an military officer and a member of the Federal Council as they are mutually exclusive.))

Name: Crepko Obradovic
Date of Birth: December 12th, 1820 (28)
Place of Birth: Split, Dalmatia.
Culture: Croatian
Position: Leader of the Society of Artisans and Workingmen, (Doesn't have to be an actual game group, just a representation of his beliefs and connections) as well as Councillor for Croatia.
Bio: Born into wealth, Crepko instead became a champion of the common man. Young and fiery, he has always followed his conscience, which sometimes gets him into trouble, though his influential father always bails him out. While a champion of the common man, his father`s connections were also instrumental in attaining his position. He can call upon a powerful network of contacts both in the socially-progressive sections of the aristocracy and the lower classes. Crepko also fights for the rights of Croatians within the Federation and resents the discrimination his people face. While he supports the more liberal parties in the pursuit of racial equality, he also sees within them the exploitation of the common man by the capitalists. If pushed enough, he may even split off and join/form his own party.

Last edited:
((Are we allowed to make political parties now then? And do you intend to do a summary of the 1848 Revolution? Clearly it has gone somewhat differently to RL, so it would be helpful for all of us. And especically us Monarchists - we need to know whether we are supporting Ferdinand or Franz Joseph! :p))

Name: Count Gyula Bethlen
Date of Birth: Januray 9th, 1807
Place of Birth: Kosice, Slovakia, Hungary
Culture: Hungarian
Position: Councillor of Hungary

A Hungarian aristocrat of an ancient family. A moderate nationalist that politically sits somewhere in between Conservatism and Liberalism. Supports Political Reforms to a certain degree, but is no backer of any social reforms. Has positioned himself as an Independent, but might join either a Conservative or Liberal Party. Supports Hungarian annexation of Transylvania (considers the Transylvanian State illegal). He is also backing more autonomy for Hungary within the Federation. Bethlen has a military background, and has served as a Major in the old Austro- Hungarian army, but has left the uniform behind him to serve as a Hungarian councillor. Bethlen's policy has more than often been to do what is right for Hungary (he frankly don't care about the rest of the Federation).

Last edited:
((Are we allowed to make political parties now then? And do you intend to do a summary of the 1848 Revolution? Clearly it has gone somewhat differently to RL, so it would be helpful for all of us. And especically us Monarchists - we need to know whether we are supporting Ferdinand or Franz Joseph! :p))

((Fear not, good sir, for a History of the Danubian Federation is now up on the third or fourth post while an update regarding the run up to the first presidential election is immanent. Meanwhile, please fell free to create political parties whenever you wish, though be aware that they won't be active until we get around to the second presidential election. Ferdinand is dead and Franz Joseph has a prominent part in the first update.))

1948 – Metternich: An Ominous Beginning

Prince_Metternich_by_Lawrence.jpeg

1. A portrait of Prince Metternich while he was still serving under the Imperial administration (c.1825)​

Metternich’s short time as acting-President was characterised by two things; controversy and catastrophe.

The former pertains to the tiny city state of Krakow, which had been formally independent for many years, but in that time it had always been firmly in Austria’s sphere. It distinguished itself during the Danubian Revolution in that it was the only of Austria’s allied states to side with either faction. During the war, Krakovian troops had supported Royalist forces in numerous battles throughout the Polish and Slovak regions of the country.

On Ferdinand’s death, Krakow made peace with the Federation, but by November, Krakow was making it very clear it was not impressed. Ferdinand’s nephew, the 18 year old Franz Joseph, had appeared in the city and using it as a base to rally the Royalist cause. Congress quickly labelled him a traitor, facing execution should he be captured, but agreement could not be reached over what should be done. Many thought that the Federation should demand that Krakow extradite him; Metternich, however, felt that that would both push the city and the Prince towards the Russians, with whom the young Federation could ill afford. He proposed annexing the city into Galicia with sufficient speed that Franz Joseph could not escape. It was a risky plan, for Russia’s rising influence in the city could lead her to try and protect her claims more quickly, but Metternich felt that it was better to take the chance than risk Russia support intervening to restore the crowd. He therefore proposed the Krakow Act, which declared the city of Krakow a de jure part of Galicia.

463px-Franz_Joseph_of_Austria_young.jpg

2. A portrait of Prince Franz Joseph of Austria painted in 1848 during his time in Krakow​

He never got to see the vote go through though, as, on 1st December, just 4 days before he was due to gain an overwhelming majority thanks to his universal support as the creator of the nation, a German ultra-royalist, by the name of Albrecht Kurtzler, shot the acting-President clean through the spine. He was rushed from the scene just outside parliament to hospital, where he died a slow, agonising death. In death, as in life, Metternich brought no end of controversy; with his death so close to the next presidential election, the factions had no time to solidify into true political parties. The resulting election was arguably the messiest in the country's history, with four separate candidates, none of whom had previously believed they stood any chance of winning, running separate campaigns without any organised support base and during a period of national mourning.

---

Actions Needed:

The first 4 people to nominate themselves will be standing for President.

Meanwhile, please vote on the Krakow Act, which, should it pass, will mean a declaration of war on a city state with no allies (but friendly to Russia). The deadline for voting will be on Wednesday at 10pm GMT.

Remember to state your nationality along with your vote

Last edited:
Name: Herman Müller
Date of Birth: June 6th, 1814
Place of Birth: Kronstadt, Siebenbürgen
Position: Councillor from Transylvania
Biography:
Born to working-class parents in one of the German cities of Transylvania, Herman had to watch his father claw his way up the social ladder to gain any amount of respect. Serving briefly as Mayor of Kronstadt, Herman's father (also Herman) worked to try to unify the Romanians and Transylvania Saxons against Hungarian plans to annex the territory. Herman the Younger walks a fine line between the peasants and the nobility as well as the Germans and the Romanians. He uses this confusion in himself as the basis for a new Transylvanian state and culture. His beliefs side more with the Liberal Democratic and away from the Nationalistic. He earnestly believes that a new "Danubian" way of life is possible and believes Transylvania is where the great experiment will arise.

Reactions:
Name: Herman Müller
Date of Birth: June 6th, 1814
Place of Birth: Kronstadt, Siebenbürgen
Position: Councillor from Transylvania
Biography:
Born to working-class parents in one of the German cities of Transylvania, Herman had to watch his father claw his way up the social ladder to gain any amount of respect. Serving briefly as Mayor of Kronstadt, Herman's father (also Herman) worked to try to unify the Romanians and Transylvania Saxons against Hungarian plans to annex the territory. Herman the Younger walks a fine line between the peasants and the nobility as well as the Germans and the Romanians. He uses this confusion in himself as the basis for a new Transylvanian state and culture. His beliefs side more with the Liberal Democratic and away from the Nationalistic. He earnestly believes that a new "Danubian" way of life is possible and believes Transylvania is where the great experiment will arise.

((While I remember, Mr C, could you correct the typo in the thread title please?))

I, count Gyula Bethlen, Councillor from Hungary, vote NO to the Krakow Act. Hungary has no need to anger Russia, nor participate in petty revengism against the Habsburgs.

OOC: How will voting be counted, especially if we have both upper and lower house characters?

I, Károly Vörös de Nyitra, would like to nominate myself as a candidate for the Presidency.

Despite my personal royalist convictions, I shall stand on a platform of pragmatic conservatism, which shall aim to maintain the status quo of the Federation, and to re-conciliate ourselves with the Great Powers of Europe. There is no need for our federation to devolve into the terror and radicalism of Revolutionary France - let us instead enjoy a healthy, Conservative peace! We must also reverse Metternich's policy regarding the young Franz Joseph - the man is no traitor, he is a Danubian citizen! We must allow him to return to the country, and return atleast some of the property and possessions seized from the Hapsburgs back to their rightful owners.

With this in mind, of course I vote NO to the Krakow Act. [Hungarian] There shall be no need to even intervene in Krakow under my administration, let alone anger the Russians.

Last edited:
The city of Krakow was an integral part of the former Austrian Empire, and as the successors of The Austrian Empire, The Danubian Federation must take steps to protect its rightful lands. As a proud Pole, I fully support the proposed Krakow Act, and hope that the city can be integrated into Galicia as soon as possible.

Krakow Act, 1848: Yes
[Polish]

~ Karol Standowie, Councillor for Galicia

OOC: How will voting be counted, especially if we have both upper and lower house characters?

((Votes are counted by culture, regardless of which house you are in (or not); the votes of each state are split in proportion to the votes of its constituent cultures in both houses. ie the same vote is used for both houses, but the different spread of votes in the two houses can determine whether or not the bill passes, because both houses must approve it [I'm not sure that's actually any clearer, but hey ho...]))

I am backing my countryman Károly Vörös de Nyitra for the Presidency. I would also like to announce that I am forming a Political Party: The Hungarian League, a moderate right wing party (trying to catch the votes of both liberal and conservative Hungarians) and we will be campaigning in both Hungary proper as well as in the Occupied Provinces (Transylvania).

I, Vlado Nikolić votes No to the Krakow Act. We shall not become imperialistic, war mongering fools like the Hapsburg's. We are a young, developing federation who does not need an enemy to the east. Krakow is a tiny city-state that should not be interfered with and left alone. [Serbian]

I also would like to nominate myself as a candidate for Presidency of the Danubian Federation. I would also like to create the Slavic and Romanian Liberal Party, a party based on equal rights and moderate liberalism. Campaigning in the Slavic regions i.e Croatia, Carnolia, Bohemia, Galicia, Transylvania and Slovakian Hungary (Northern Hungary).

I stand on the platform of moderate liberalism, we shall not get into any wars or disputes and we will work to increase relations with other European Great Powers including Russia, Great Britain, France and Prussia. I also would like to increase rights of Slavic and Romanian citizens of this nation for they have always been considered a "lower class" of people by Germans and Hungarians. I would also work to allow the freedom to practice any Christian religion in the federation, given it be Orthodox Christianity or Protestant Christianity. When it comes to Franz Joseph, I believe that if returned should face trial, for what the Hapsburg's have done to there people over the years and for trying to destroy the federation with a royalist take over. More of my platform will be released on a later date.

Last edited:
The Republic of Krakow is a free and by rights independent nation; that enjoys the benefits inherent within Republicanism and has for decades. I will not see Venetians take up arms against a free republic for the sake of, to quote Councillor Bethlen, petty revengism; especially a revenge has has nothing whatsoever to do with Venezia or her people.

Krakow Act, 1848: No
[Venetian]

- Vitale Morosini, Councillor for Venezia

---

La Repubblica di Cracovia è una nazione libera e indipendente dai diritti, che gode dei benefici insiti nel repubblicanesimo e ha per decenni. Non voglio vedere Veneziani prendere le armi contro una repubblica libera per il gusto di, per citare consigliere Bethlen, revengism piccolo, soprattutto una vendetta è non ha nulla a che fare con Venezia e la sua gente.

Cracovia Act, 1848: No
[Venezia]

- Vitale Morosini, Consigliere per Venezia

Can I still Nominate myself?
I Albert Von Salzburg is nominating myself!
Royalist I from one of the most famous houses will certainly keep this country in steady order and will reward those who support me! We have been under habsburg domination for too long! Its time for a slazburg empero-err a salzburg president! I do not support any nationtlist and do not intend to go to war with russia, but perhaps our old enemy france? I will give my formal platform when I am officially declared a candidate

Can I still Nominate myself?
I Albert Von Salzburg is nominating myself!
Royalist I from one of the most famous houses will certainly keep this country in steady order and will reward those who support me! We have been under habsburg domination for too long! Its time for a slazburg empero-err a salzburg president! I do not support any nationtlist and do not intend to go to war with russia, but perhaps our old enemy france?

((Yes, you can! One space left then...))

Alas as much as I would pounce on gaining more land and putting those polish in their place, I will have to vote NO on the Krakow act for why would we want war with russia? they would certainly weaken us so that even those Prussians to the north could challenge us!

((You guys don't mind if I join in, do you?))

Name: László Nagy
Date of Birth: 5th April 1818
Place of Birth: Kaposvár, Hungary
Culture: Hungarian
Position: Councillor for Hungary (via Presidency of Hungary)
Bio: Son of a wealthy industrialist, Laszlo grew up to become leader of the Hungarian Liberal movement that precipitated the 1848 revolution, being elected as President for the new Hungarian state during the revolution, before signing the Declaration of Federation along with Metternich. His belief in political freedoms is only matched by the revolutionary spirit that channels militancy against authoritarian regimes.

---

The Federation will never be safe as long as the Royalist threat remains. So long as we keep on good terms with Russia, I see no reason why we should fear their reprisals. We must strike quick and hard, before the Krakovians secure an alliance or Franz Joseph leads the reactionaries of all Europe against our young republic; for that reason I am voting yes [Hungarian] to the Krakow Act.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.