• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(46903)

Second Lieutenant
Jul 28, 2005
Started a game as Germany, Core 91 1936 Germany, hard. I started building Mark I Panzers early in 37 with the intention of upgrading them to Mk IV's later as the Mark I seems to do fine chopping up the Western 1939 infantry hordes.

Well to make a long story short it was about spring 1939, I was waiting for Czech submission, had my Mark I Panzers in the build que undeployed tech was rumbling along and was getting ready for the summer tech rush where I upgrade my tech so I can start building and upgrading to Mark IV basic tanks after the free Czech tank techs after annexation. And I notice that Poland has declared war on Lithuania over some petty border squabble. Fine I figure, Poland has a decently teched army and they should have no problem overunning Lithuania, just means I will get a leg up in the Baltic states when I annex them, right? WRONG !

I check their progress a week or so later and to my horror the Soviets have sided with the Lithuanians and are in the process of invading Eastern Poland. I wonder how this will pan out having never seen it and the implications to the MR pact etc. I start watching events closely and deploy a Heinkel unit to East Prussia for recon flyovers.

Well the Soviet hordes are coming from the east, stacks of 12-15 infantry with BT45 tank Divisions interspersed (the combined arms Army) are rolling like a steamroller into the Eastern Polish lands from Wilno to Lwow. The attack is unsophisticated, pure frontal assault, but the Soviet masses are unstoppable, especially when 25-30 of Polands 40ish divisions are still facing my undefended Border in the West.

When the Soviets take Warsaw and Krakow I begin to worry and lay out an infantry screen of single divisions in the east. The Soviet bludgeon is advancing slowly and I wonder if Poiland will survive till September 1st so I can start the war. Well the Polish army continues to retreat west and their Navy is smashed in the Baltic. They eventually end up with 30ish divisions holed up in Danzig and the Soviets have conquered all of Poland. The Soviets have made a fatal mistake tho in their zeal to overrun the Poles.

In Bialstok, south of Danzig is a Soviet Army. 85+ infantry Divisions, 20 + Armoured units. Undoubtably preparing for the final assault on Danzig. The diligent Heinkels fly over the now Soviet controlled Polish countryside and bring back intelligence. 1 Tank division in Lwow, an Infantry divsion in Suwalki marching towards Danzig, a couple of scattered Air units (mixed groups consisting of a fighter and a bomber) in Warsaw and Lodz. I stare with disbelief at the Intel reports. Checking with my other intel sources I find that the soviets are estimated to deploy around 150 infantry and 40 Tank divisions on the eve of the conflict. Half their deployed army sits in Bialstok at the far western tip of Soviet expansion. Forget Cannae, Austerlitz, Tannenberg, the greatest encirclement battle in recorded history will be occuring in less than a month.

August 1st 1939 the Wehrmact deploys, 100 infantry divsions, 20 Mark I Panzer Divisions and 9 Moterized Infantry Divsions. The Northern pincer consists of mostly defensive troops with a pair of infantry attack armies and 2 panzergruppe (6 divisions). One infantry army and Panzer gruppe will drive on Torun while the other heads for a deeper encirclement via Suwalki. Defensive formations cover the Stettin - Landsberg fronts, screening forces against France and in Hamburg in case the Western Allies interfere, and the rest of the Wehrmacht (a dozen Panzers, 9 moter infantry 30 infantry and the bulk of the Luftwaffe deploy in Opeln.

August 30 1939, Ribbentrop delivers the Ultimatum to Poland, Danzig or War !

The Brits and French have not extended an alliance to Poland, not wishing to be at war with the Soviets. I have a free hand in the east. Poland decides for war (after all Danzig is all they have left) and the Panzers start their engines for the great race. The Soviets seem to be oblivious to whats going on, the checks in the mail to Moscow.

September 1st 1939 Germany declares war on the Soviet Union. While a small force heads for Danzig from Stettin the bulk of the wehrmacht starts rolling across the Frontiers, east and south of Bialstok, unopposed, as fast as possible. Paratroopers land in Radom while the panzers roll at full speed.

By September 15th Half the Soviet Army was bagged in two pockets at Pozan and Torun. The short encirclement couldnt stand against their steamrolling horde but the long encirclement held. Soviets streamed back across the Visula to the east, a mostly disorganized rabble and south trying to get back to the Ukraine. What few Soviets who organized a defence to the east were easily swept aside by the Mark I panzers. By October almost 4 million Soviets had surrendered in Western Poland, and the werhmacht raced east before the snows came.

As the first frosts of the infamous Russian winter begin to blow down from the north the Soviets scramble to organize a defence of their borders. Panzers swing north into Wilno heading for Leningrad. Others push east and south to the Baltic. Hungary and Slovakia join the war effort, supplying badly needed bulk to the armies racing east including two Panzer Korps to lead the thrust.

By November a further 35 Russian Divisions are pocketed south of Riga, 15 in a pocket on the Romanian border. By December when the blizzards start A further pocket of 20 Russian Divsions had been bagged in the Pripet Marshes, bringing the total haul in 4 short months of war to over 175 Russian divsions.

Bridgeheads across the Don at Rostov and Voronezh with recon units on the western outskirts of Stalingrad defined the southern front. In the center Tula and Kalinigrad had fallen and Germans stood at the gates of Moscow. To the north Leningrad was about to be cutoff from the Soviet east in a large pocket while Paratroopers raced for Archangel.

That winter was bitter for the Germans, their attacks faltered in the snow and ice. The perfidious British and French declared war and the French came within an ace of capturing Saarbrucken before 2 Panzer Korps and a dozen Infantry Korps managed to restore the situation in the west.

Konigsberg actually fell to a solo New Zealand Infantry division and several amphibious assaults were driven back into the sea by a pair of Hungarian Divisions garrisoning Odessa. In January enough western reserves had been scraped up for an expidition into Denmark to close the Baltic and in March Norway was invaded and annexed as well. Leningrad was cut off, and a push into the rugged mountains of the Caucasus organized. What will spring bring to the hapless Russians?

Screenies would compliment such good stuff already. :)

Sorry I didnt grab a screen shot, besides I am relatively new to this AAR business and would have to do some research before I could figure out how to post it :)

The temptation to invade the Soviet Union and bag those 100+ divisions was overwhelming however. My Panzers were no where near ready for intense action being mere Mark I's. Normally I take a more traditional Poland===>Denmark==>Yugoslavia===>Low countries===>France approach. But having now in February 1940 driven the Russians back to the Archangel/Astrakhan line the gambit seems to have paid off. The only question is will I have enough strength to deal will France in the west.

In the history forums there is a thread on who the worst General of WWII was, and from my experiences, its the AI on the enemy side. :)

In almost any single player game, the eastern front usually results on ungodly large encirclements. But I must say, it is fun to pull it off, isn't it :)

Good work taking advantage of such a golden opportunity.

I almost consistantly pocket the Russians in the Pripet Marshes. Nothing as big as hero in this story, but I'd guess my biggest grab was 60-70.