A Fan Discussion of BATTLETECH Free Update 1.9

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Prussian Havoc

PDXCON 2019 ~ MechWarrior of the Year
58 Badges
May 12, 2017
forum.paradoxplaza.com
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Empire of Sin - Premium Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
So Mitch has shared a number of insights into the upcoming Free Update 1.9:

1.) HBS continues its work to improve BATTLETECH’s Convoy AI. This aspect of the game has proven to be an elusive target. Multiple attempts to improve Convoy AI to the point it represents a reasonably proficient Convoy Operator and Allied Entity have been made to date. However challenges remain and HBS next attempt to refine Convoy AI will arrive with Free Update 1.9

2.) A Difficulty Option will he introduced with Free Update 1.9 - a toggle will be provided where the current level of Planetary Stores, Faction Stores and Black Markets being flush with Advanced (HM) and High Quality (+, ++, +++) Weapons and Equipment will remain, or it can be deselected and the game will refer to pre-Update 1.8 Levels of Weapons and Equipment Availability.

3.) 16 New Mech Variants will be introduced.

4.) 8 New a vehicle Variants will be introduced.

5.) DIFFICULTY SETTING ADDED - For Career Mode Only, under Update 1.9 there will be a new Difficulty Setting for “Half Priced ARGO Upgrades.” This price cutting will impact both Upfront Costs and Recurring Costs.

6.) A Camapign and Career Mode, “Time Advance” Feature: It sounds like this feature reduces the wait time between days passing, so there would be less player down-time involved. Not sure if this includes travel time as well.

7.) While the following was included as if it were a real Update 1.9 announcement, this proved not to be the case. This one is simple a case of Mitch trolling us, and doing so if a truly excellent and effective manner! :)

QUAD MECHS
- I spent the last 2-days in denial that this following exchange ever happened: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/540789821?t=505s

*moment_of_silence

Let’s break it down a bit here: Ben and Mitch had clearly planned this beforehand and More Power to them both for trolling me and others before we could troll them this week. : ) :bow: Well played Gentlemen, well played indeed, : ) :bow:

Ben (aka @HBS_L8Knight) played the part effortlessly and his, “I think the Art Department really nailed it on this one. So Players are going to have...” nearly, NEARLY sent me into stunned disbelief! : )

Of course Mitch was the first one to break character and tell Quadist to “Bell-Ringing” OFF, yet again. : )

It is moments like this one that although painful, endear HBS to me all the more.

Here’s to hoping Hollie (https://hollisketch.tumblr.com/), Czarina of QUADs, will deign to join Mitch (in two weeks when Mitch returns from Paradox HQ) and grace him with the odd bit of Tactical Advice...

...and then when that advice fails, she should so pointedly add, “Well, if you had had QUADS, that would have worked.” : )

There will be no new episode of Mitch Plays to Win this week as Mitch will be #OutOfPocket and traveling to Paradox HQ this week.

I wonder if we might have an HBS Announcment late this week... hmm...

Anyhow, what do you think of the importation we have learned so far about Update 1.9?

Which Mechs Variants do you hope to see? Which Vehicles Variants?

I believe Mitch gave us quite a comprehensive view of Update 1.9’s “wavetops.” What small’ish items would you still like to see from Update 1.9?

Me?

I really want a Rommel and Patton Tank. Are they “Varaints” if already existing Tanks? No. But that doesn’t stop me from wanting to see them in BATTLETECH. I mean, HEY! we already have all those HEAVY METAL advanced weapons... why not some Armor too?

BATTLETECH Free Update 1.9 is already looking like it is chock full of enough Difficulty Settings, Features and Varaints that I would pay money for it! I don’t see HBS including anything much beyond bug fixes and map smoothing beyond what Mitch has already shared.

But what about you?

Thoughts?

EDIT: Mitch has shared select portions of BATTLETECH Free Update 1.9 with us. But this is by no means an a complete list. No doubt various code fixes, map refinements and perhaps even other features and settings that are still being worked, but just not yet confirmed for inclusion in 1.9

As such discussion of what might yet make the cut for 1.9, or what you would like to see in 1.9 or the next Update is both welcome and encouraged. This just might serve to help HBS parse through our preferences and hopes for BATTLETECH moving forward.

However please keep in mind that HBS’s resources are finite and given HBS’s work on a number of projects, competition for them is high. :bow:

Last edited:
As I already wrote somewhere, I think the additional variants will make sure we have at least two variants of each chassis, and this would increase the difficulty of salvaging full mechs ( no more easy Trebs and Enforcers).

Personally, I find this free CONTENT upgrade rather astonishing at this stage of the game's lify cycle.

In looking forward to seeing the additional mech Variants. I'm curious to see where HBS takes it. Again, missile Hunchback would be cool. I would love to run a Hunchback only lance and have all my bases covered :).

Convoy AI improvements would be nice. I normally have a long range (often with indirect fire) shadow the convoy to keep it moving, however having them move together can still be tricky. Sometimes, even with the babysitting, a vehicle won't move and splits up the convoy. With some better AI, hopefully the convoy will move more consistently and predictable.

I didn't see the Argo upgrade difficulty coming. Interesting.

...I didn't see the Argo upgrade difficulty coming. Interesting.
I really liked how Ben (aka HBS_L8Knight) attributed it to their parsing of BATTLETECH player data and finding that in Career Mode it was very rare for a player to put much toward upgrading the ARGO.

Personally I have always completed a Career Mode Attempt with a fully upgraded ARGO. That and I pay my Outfit some extravagant wages early on when it is cheapest. Sure this slows me down when it comes to Mech Advancement, but I have found that my skillz (while not quite MAD SKILLZ!) are sufficient to net me enough salvage to keep the lights on at my MercOutfit and my Mechs in the field.

This all pays off later in the Career or Campaign Run.

As many mechs and variants as possible are preferable to me. It's one of the main reasons why I've modded since beta.

Turning down the hi-tech bonanza will also be welcome.

I would very much like to hear something about where HBS is with regard to the modloader. The fact that it released without being able to run a large percentage of the popular mods is by far the biggest disappointment I've had with this otherwise well done and wonderful game. The longer we go with no comments or timeline for fixing it, the more fearful I become that they will drop mod support. Modtek is great, but I was really happy at the prospect of not having to do nearly so much work every time a patch hit.

I really liked how Ben (aka HBS_L8Knight) attributed it to their parsing of BATTLETECH player data and finding that in Career Mode it was very rare for a player to put much toward upgrading the ARGO.

Personally I have always completed a Career Mode Attempt with a fully upgraded ARGO.

That surprised me too. I always upgrade everything as quickly as possible.

Personally I have always completed a Career Mode Attempt with a fully upgraded ARGO. That and I pay my Outfit some extravagant wages early on when it is cheapest. Sure this slows me down when it comes to Mech Advancement, but I have found that my skillz (while not quite MAD SKILLZ!) are sufficient to net me enough salvage to keep the lights on at my MercOutfit and my Mechs in the field.

This all pays off later in the Career or Campaign Run.

That surprised me too. I always upgrade everything as quickly as possible.

I upgrade the Argo during a Career Run, but it is normally only about 75% complete by the time my 1200 days are up. I think I tend to buy goodies or a chassis piece or two i need to complete a mech (I normally run 5 pieces of salvage).

"2.) A Difficulty Option will he introduced with Free Update 1.9 - a toggle will be provided where the current level of Planetary Stores, Faction Stores and Black Markets being flush with Advanced (HM) and High Quality (+, ++, +++) Weapons and Equipment will remain, or it can be deselected and the game will refer to pre-Update 1.8 Levels of Weapons and Equipment Availability."

I hope this is better than an A or B decision. I don't mind the better tech having a chance of showing up, I just don't want to see so many mechs. It's like all the great houses are having a going out of business sale. :p

I wonder if the new variants will have any of the new tech now? It would be more fun to salvage it than buy it.

"2.) A Difficulty Option will he introduced with Free Update 1.9 - a toggle will be provided where the current level of Planetary Stores, Faction Stores and Black Markets being flush with Advanced (HM) and High Quality (+, ++, +++) Weapons and Equipment will remain, or it can be deselected and the game will refer to pre-Update 1.8 Levels of Weapons and Equipment Availability."

I hope this is better than an A or B decision. I don't mind the better tech having a chance of showing up, I just don't want to see so many mechs. It's like all the great houses are having a going out of business sale. :p

I wonder if the new variants will have any of the new tech now? It would be more fun to salvage it than buy it.
As I recall, the Difficulty Setting will be much like all the other great options we have, an Active or Inactive Setting Selection. In my opinion a Slider would be just too much work, work I would prefer HBS lavish on one or more of their Secret Projects.

I just can’t get past my hope that one of the reasons Mitch is going to Stockholm, Sweden this week (and will be cancelling Thursday’s Mitch Plays to Win livestream btw) is that HBS will be making an announcement of some sort or another. Of course I could be completely wrong here... but it remains a hope I have. Whatever it is, I’d be waiting in the wings to preorder it, : )

The Arano Restoration should be called the Great Galactic Superstore :)
Most of the Aurigan systems in the campaign once flipped become advanced/progression types with all the goodies that type bring, do not get excited about Star League as that remains basic system when flipped (makes sense).

The Arano Restoration should be called the Great Galactic Superstore :)
Most of the Aurigan systems in the campaign once flipped become advanced/progression types with all the goodies that type bring, do not get excited about Star League as that remains basic system when flipped (makes sense).
It’s like in the State of New Jersey where stuff is always “falling of the backs of trucks” and great deals can be had for a song.

Which is a great mechanism that HBS has made excellent use of as we start post-HEAVY METAL Campaigns and Career Attempts.

The problem for me comes into it when “Stuff Falling Off Truck” becomes so much the norm that it never slowly dwindles and leaves every single BattleMech Store in the entirety of true Rimward Periphery.

If availability slowly faded away, until maybe or or three Stores out of the 150 Stores in the Rimward Periphery still carried a rotating selection of these items, it would make so very much or sense.

But the way it is, along with my favored Pieces-of-Eight BATTLETECH Gaming, with the release of Free Update 1.9 I’ll soon’ishly be downgrading my BattleMech Stores. :bow:

I was looking at some interesting variant ideas for mechs currently in game...

Trebuchet 7K: Sort of a K2-ification of a Treb (trades indirect for direct fire). Instead of 2 LRM15s, it has a PPC and an A/C5. It also has a SRM2 for close support.

Dragon DRG-1G (Grand Dragon): Replaces the A/C5 with a PPC and has an additional 3 MLasers.

Marauder MAD-3D: replacing the A/C5 with a Large Laser. With weight savings comes 4 additional heat sinks.

These are just a few mechs with currently only 1 variant. I wouldn't mind seeing these added (especially the Treb).

More variants of the endgame assault mechs (and maybe Marauder) please. That's where most players end up for the bulk of their playthrough, so why not add some more variety and options. Especially on the most desirable mechs like Atlas, King Crab, Bull Shark, and Annihilator.

Also, it would be great if some of the pre-Heavy Metal chassis could get quirks at some point. That may make assault mechs that aren't played as much like Victor, Highlander, Banshee, and Awesome worth looking at. I'd actually prefer this over more quirk-less variants or variants of light/medium mechs that I never use.

While i understand that only so much can be expected from a free update, i really hope they add VTOLs, Hovers and Artillery with those new vehicles. I´d pay for infantry and ASFs, but i already accepted they´ll be in the game only as event/scripted mission fluff.

If they´re tweaking on mechs we already have, i´d rather see quirks added to pre HM mechs rather than new variants.

Nice they´re fixing the stores. I wish they´d fix that 3 skull or higher limit for planets/systems we have in post campaign too.

I´d like a fix to the official mod loader too.

Last but not least. My post might sound as a complaint, but i´m glad HBS still developing this game and i´ll be happy with whatever we get.

Last edited:
More 'Mech variants? I hope this comes with a re-work of the salvage system to fix the problem of having 2/3 of 4 different Locusts, and no deployable Locust.

The other big issue is still gameplay speed. 2-3 missions take a whole hour for something that, in a faster/real-time mode, would be about 15 minutes of play time.

Bugfixes relating to incompletable consecutive deployments would be good also.

...The other big issue is still gameplay speed. 2-3 missions take a whole hour for something that, in a faster/real-time mode, would be about 15 minutes of play time...
You are in luck, Mitch told us just last week that a “Time Advance” feature will be added to BATTLETECH Campaign and Career Modes under Update 1.9.

I don’t know exactly how much faster it will let you complete those 2-3 Missions, but every little bit helps get in the daily allotment of BATTLETECH Big and Stompy.

AmIRight?

Always appreciate free stuff but nothing mentioned is remotely useful at this point of game life cycle.

Variant: mods has more AND better mechanics to deal with salvage that's less variant dependent.
Convoy AI: seriously, 2 years after launch and no mention of the 'pacify area' bug. Just use the debug function to end mission.
Difficulty setting: this is just grind setting. Go into simGameConstant and it takes seconds to change cost values to your liking.
Time advance: nice if it means instant travel time but that's not much saving in gameplay time and I do interrupt my travel on long trips if I see something interesting in contract/shop so...maybe?

All in all, really not much. I'm not even gonna update in case it interferes with my mods.

Also, it would be great if some of the pre-Heavy Metal chassis could get quirks at some point.
Yes, so much this! I love the way the Heavy Metal mechs have such distinct personality due to their quirks. I know there's a risk of over-specifying a mech and pigeonholing it into a role, but isn't that kind of the point of variants in the first place?

Always appreciate free stuff but nothing mentioned is remotely useful at this point of game life cycle.

Variant: mods has more AND better mechanics to deal with salvage that's less variant dependent.
Convoy AI: seriously, 2 years after launch and no mention of the 'pacify area' bug. Just use the debug function to end mission.
Difficulty setting: this is just grind setting. Go into simGameConstant and it takes seconds to change cost values to your liking.
Time advance: nice if it means instant travel time but that's not much saving in gameplay time and I do interrupt my travel on long trips if I see something interesting in contract/shop so...maybe?

All in all, really not much. I'm not even gonna update in case it interferes with my mods.
I respectfully disagree.

There are literally tons and tons of Big and Stompy Goodness in the upcoming BATTLETECH Free Update 1.9

So very many gamers in our BATTLETECH Community do not mod their game. This Free Update, maybe more than most others before it, is literally chock full of value for such gamers, what with all these precious Mech Variants and Vehicle Variants.

As a matter of fact taken as a whole, these 24 Machines of War IIRC will see BATTLETECH increase it’s Machines of War holdings by approximately 20%... again IIRC. :bow:

So you see, why a few may find not much to interest them here in Update 1.9, so very, very, very many other will gain a great value absolutely free of charge. : )