• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(188695)

Private
1 Badges
Jan 3, 2010
  • Hearts of Iron III
Hey everybody, after reading the many AAR's and playing the game for several weeks I was inspired to try and now I'm writing my own AAR.

Since the game stays the same, the actions stay the same and the entire concept is the same, i've made a little step aside from the game sometimes. As example: instead of meeting a girl on a party, i let the father/brother invite me to his castle and meet her. Because i was an honourable man he allowed me to stay in touch with her.
This little changes give it a new touch i think.

The prologue is writen in the first person view, but the chapters are all in third person view. This was to make the intro a bit special from the rest of the story.
The story also has to be seen as a real book, writen during the campaign of the characters.

About my settings:
I play on the lowest settings cause the person-character and the companions are to be seen as legendary warriors who could take down enemy armies 10 times their size. The battlesize I kept at 150, to make the battles more fun and a bit more challeging, soon I'll update the mod to get bigger battlefields.
The garphic settings are all on the highest possible settings. That you can also see in the pictures I take.
Mod: age of change v1.2 (for the armour/weapons and new units as those things fitted best in the storyline.)

Now I won't bore you anymore with this talk and give you the prologue and the first chapter.

I hope you will enjoy it and please tell me what you think. Stay polite than I can learn from the things I do wrong.

A Faerland Knight's Tale
titel.jpg

Prologue
H1.jpg

There are many stories told about them, many are exaggerated. Some say they are immortal and are already hundreds of years old, others say their arrows never miss their targets and some even say nobody can get through there armour. One story I’ll always remember, it was told by an old man in a tavern of Sargoth, during my time as a page for King Ragnar himself.
“Their leader would be born with his armour already on his body, maybe he even has no own body, but the armour is his body. Who will know? But no living man has ever achieved to get though his plate armour. Swords shatter, arrows bent, lances break. I was told they fought against armies of 1000 men, armies of a Kingdom, and not a single soldier ever returned home. These men were killers, loyal to no one but them self and the other 16. Many kings tried to get them under their service, promising land and power, even control over the king’s army, but none succeeded. Some people believe all kings who asked where dead before the next year. Now, they are coming towards us. They have gathered once again, and they’ll set foot on our shore. Nobody knows what there intensions will be. But I know one thing for sure; they won’t harm villagers for some reason. Nobody could ever report me they attacked a villager. To make it even better there are reports of them rushing into aid of villagers on the battlefield. They are everywhere, they see everything, they know everything.” I walked towards him and asked him how he knew all this. He looked at me and smiled. “I was there.”
I looked at the man.
“You are 16 years old aren’t you?”
“Yes.”
“Then you were born on a normal night for a small village, but on the right same time, The 17 Knights where preparing for battle. One of the biggest battles our world has ever known. A battle with more than ten thousand soldier on every side. But that’s another story.”
“No, tell me more!”
“It’s late, I think I gonna take a walk home.”
“Tell me more, I want to know!”
“One day, you’ll know.”
And gone he was. Until this day I never saw him. The next morning King Ragnar took me on another riding trip through the woods of Sargoth. After some time I asked him what he knew about The 17 Knights. Would I ever know whether his facial expression was one of proud or of a broken man?
He started his story:
The first time I saw them was in Faerland, my father was king of Norway. Aside our kingdom there were 3 others: Russia, France and England. The year I became 16, your age, I served under a lord named Jarl Hyan who I would honour by changing my lord’s title from lord to jarl. Not long after the new year began a war broke out. England and Russia, two kingdoms with absolutism as policy, made an alliance and attacked France, a republic land, from two sides. My father sent word to France that his armies where on their way to help France. It would take more than 5 years before the final battle would be fought. But let’s stay with the beginning. Lord Jarl Hyan was send to there too, so I followed him. My father was leading this army himself, my brother, who was already 24 and married, was given the power to rule our kingdom. The trip to France was long, but far from boring. After 5 days walking a Russian army approached us, unfortunately my father sent our army through 3 different routes. He would lead the one going along the shore; his marshal would lead the one going through the shortest path, through fields and woods; Jarl Hyan would lead the third war band. We where following the roads and would approach France from the east, taking down the Russian outposts on our way. But nobody ever said we would encounter an entire army. The battle started not long after we saw their banners. We were outnumbered by 1 to 3, none the less we fought bravely and we achieved to hold ground. But it became though, many men got killed and this was my first real battle. No longer practice, but a real one. The soldier on my right side felt, a big hussar stabbed his sword right into his throat. I felt this deep anger in me, and I took my sword with two hands, dropped my shield and, however he was a head bigger than me, I chopped his head from his shoulders. On my other side I saw a sword going straight towards Jarl Hyan, an overhead blow. I tried to save him, but all help came too late. His skull was split like butter and he felt dead at my feet. A fury I never felt before took me in his power, I didn’t felt pain, and I didn’t feared dead. That day I would kill more men then a normal soldier would kill in an entire war. But still we were outnumbered and our commander was slain, so after hours of fighting I took up his banner and gathered the surviving man around me. We would stand ground and try to kill as many men as possible. Victory was far away, and so was life. The Russian commander ordered his hussars to charge our position, followed by the infantry. The distance between us was more than 200 meter, but still it looked like it was only 20. Me and my man prepared for death and putted our shields against each other, forming a shield wall. But when the Russian cavalry was only 50 meter away from us, arrows came from the west, from French territory. It wasn’t possible, the French were already fighting England at the Nord Sea, and they couldn’t be here! I thought. But none the less these arrows took down the horses of the Russians and the death bringing hussars were no more than a normal soldier. Now we all looked to the west, to our savers. But all we saw were hills, woods and plains. When all other man lost faith, I saw another wave of arrows coming from after the hills, followed by 17 knights in plate armour. The arrows and knights almost simultaneously hit the enemy infantry. The knights retreated a few meters and then dismounted their horses. They took their bows again and gave the enemy yet another burst firing before charging at them with their swords and shields. It was like a dream, the enemies first wave got killed in no time, and not one of those knights felt or got wounded. They were like a legend. Hope was here once again; me and my men charged into the enemy to help our savers. A few hours later the battle was won, the wounded gathered, the enemy crushed. The 17 knights that came to our aid were already gone by the time we had put up camp. I was left with so many questions. Who where they, what made them help us, who sent them, what gave them that power. It was just too much for me, so I let it go and took over command of our army. We continued our trip towards Paris; there our three armies would meet each other again. After a long march we finally arrived at our gathering point. At was silent. To silent for 2 armies. I ordered our men to take their weapons and make ready for yet another battle. We went further into the city. I heard footsteps coming into my direction; I prepared to give my opponent a blow he wouldn’t forget. A shadow came from behind a corner. I went to the corner. Turned the corner. And there he was, our marshal.
“Finally I found you!” he said. “Your father was already worried. He heared you guys ran straight into general Gorkovski’s army and he feared for your life.”
“Indeed we ran right into them, Lord Jarl Hyan felt in battle, bravely fighting. I took command, but we kept losing man. We would almost be overrun by Russian hussars but all of a sudden 17 knights came on the field of battle, crushing the enemy like they were just poor farmers.”
“You should come with me now. Your father knows more about it, he’ll want to talk you as soon as possible.”
I accompanied the marshal to the army’s camp, which was at the other side of the city. Just a little piece of information that was given to Jarl Hyan and I hadn’t hear.
Once we arrived at my father’s tent, he sent all officers back to their stations and welcomed me like a father welcomed a long lost son.
“Finally you arrived. I was already worried you died in that battle too.”
“How do you mean, Father? Did you know that battle would happen? Is that why you sent our army though that route?”
“No my son, but The 17 Knights told me they rescued one of my armies.”
“You know those 17 knights?”
“Yes. Son, what I’m about to tell you must not leave this room. Only our marshal knows. You understand that?”
“I do father.”
“Ok, those 17 knights are man with loyalty to nobody but themselves and their own. Although they are loyal to one king and his sons.”
“But how’s that possible?”
“Patience, patience my son. They are loyal to them because the king once was one of them. The former king’s son, who was stationary at a small village at the age of 21. During that period, the village was attacked, looted and burned to the ground. Together with 17 other young man, who were barely at the age of 18, he was on the field when it happened. They saw the flames and heard the scream of woman and children, the sound of metal against wood. We took our pitchforks and ran into the village. Once we arrived we saw the real terror of war: children were killed, man were killed or tortured, woman were raped and killed, and other people were burned alive. We ran towards the village centre, there we found the 25 soldiers that were the cause off all this misery. We ran into them with our pitchforks forward. But only Aragorn was able to kill one of them already, he pushed his pitchfork right into the throat of his opponent, right there where his armour was the weakest. He took up the sword of the soldier and smashed down another raider. Encouraged by his little victory we followed him in battle. The 23 remaining soldiers were completely taken by surprise when we rushed forward without fear and felt to our pitchforks like wheat to a scythe. Aragorn killed most of them, and as we were left alone on this world, we started our own company, the armour of those 25 men would have fitted us well, but we melted it. The men wearing it were evil, so we melted it and we made new armour of it. 18 pieces. 1 for each. Everybody got a Gothic Plate Armour, a Burgonet and Iron Greaves. From heavy two-handed swords these men where carrying we made ourselves new swords. Fit for one-handed and two-handed use. We practiced with each other while we were resting, otherwise we were travelling the country or buying food from farmers, paying them more then they asked, more than the markets gave them. Aragorn was leading us. And everywhere we came people knew his name, they even asked him if he would help them against bandits or looters. Every time again we accepted and hunted those bandits down. From the money we earned we bought some bows and arrows. The rest we gave to the poor farmers we met. We developed our fighting skills as we kept fighting those outlaws and soon parties from over a 50 man weren’t a threat anymore. We killed them like a young tree falls to an axe. We grew stronger and got beards as the months passed. My father always let me messages in the villages he visited since I told him what happened and what we were doing now. He didn’t blame me, he even encouraged me. But after some time he got sick, and I left my friends to go and see him one last time. I was right on time. His last words to me I’ll never forget. “My son, you have done a good thing following those friends of you. You have learned how it is to fight for your people. You have earned their respect. Now it’s time to rule our kingdom with the wisdom you earned from this. Bring prosperity to our kingdom, protect your people.” Then he closed his eyes and rest peacefully till eternity. The next day I took my horse and rode out to find my friends. I told them my father passed away and I was king of the country now. I asked them whether they like to be knights or officers or anything else. But Aragorn only said to me only one thing: “Harald, you know better than anybody else we won’t enlist in any army. We won’t join yours either. We won’t give any king or army leader our solid oath; we stay loyal to our self and our own. So if you ever are in trouble, or your children are, we’ll come to your aid.”
After that day I didn’t hear from them anymore in person. For a few months I heard they continued tracking looters and raiders, but after that it looked like they vanished from the earth. I thought they all died in battle. But now they came and save you, the next day a farmer came to me and told me he had news from Aragorn. I was so delighted to receive word from him. But then I read his letter: ‘Dear Harald, it’s good to see you still fight for the people and the farmers. But none the less this day is a black day. Your army was almost eliminated during a battle with the Russians. If it wasn’t that I saw your banner on one of the cargos I wouldn’t have entered it. But we never leave our friends to die. Victory was achieved, but whether your son is still alive or not I cannot tell. I can only say I saw a young man with the banner of his fallen commander, a banner with a lion on it. I hope for you your son is still alive. One day we will meet again, on the battlefield, and when that day comes, our goal will be achieved.’ I was terrified, I had no security you were alive. So I send scouts, they didn’t found you though.”
“Yes, I ordered the man to go off the road and take another route. But what is that goal Aragorn was talking about? And what about the battle?”
“Our goal was to free the people, and give the power to the people again. When I became king, Norway gave its power to the people and became democratic. The battle he’s talking about is something from the time we travelled the land together, when I was still part of them. We imagined a big battle, with tens of thousands of soldiers on both sides, the battle that would decide whether our realm would become democratic or an absolute monarchy. Now it seems like our dream has become reality. A big battle is coming, the armies are ready, it’s only a matter of time now. Get to your man and prepare them for battle, commander.”
“Father, I don’t think I’m ready for this, we were almost utterly crushed in our last battle, I don’t think our soldiers have faith in me.”
“Believe me my son, they will have faith in you. I’ve heard you killed a lot of enemies out there. You impress me, somebody who hears it from others, when it might be exaggerated. But your men, they saw you during battle. You were the one that gave them the courage to keep fighting when their commander died. You saved the banner. You are the new commander. They will follow you, they will fight for you, and they will be victorious alongside you.”
King Ragnar waits for some time, and then he continues: “The war kept going on for 5 other years.”
I interrupted him, “My liege, an old man told me that I was born on the night 17 knights prepared for a battle. Are those knights the same knights that helped you?”
“Yes, they were. But let me finish, then everything will become clear. So, where was I? Right, 5 long years of fighting, and then the final day arrived. Both sides had gathered their armies and where now standing on both sides of the Green Rock Valley, a nice plain with grass everywhere the eye can see. No trees, no rocks, except one right in the middle. The perfect spot for a battle. On both sides there were thousands of soldiers, we even thought it were tens of thousands. This was the big battle the 17 knights were preparing for. But they didn’t do that the night before it. They started with it the day their village was raided. The day you were born. But the battle, it was a bloody day. The valley was no longer green, it coloured red from the blood of enemies and friends. Once again it seemed like our side was losing. And I thought about the words Aragorn told my father, that they would meet on the battlefield that would decide the future of our realm. This was the day, but still after hours of fighting nobody showed up. So I thought by myself, if they don’t show up, we will! And I gathered my man and we retreated back to the end of the valley. There we went to the side of it and we marched from the hillside of the valley to the enemy’s flank. Once we were positioned I order my archers to fire and advance. And then it happened. At the same time my archers fired there arrows, arrows came from the other side of the valley, from the hillside on the other side. Then I saw them, the 17 knights, once again all on foot. And we charged into the enemy at the same time. We fought like we hadn’t done anything else for our entire lives, and in the middle of the valley, we first met. I stood right in front of Aragorn. He looked to me and said: “Ragnar son of Harald, it’s good to meet you. Unfortunately we meet on the battlefield. Let me have the honour of fighting alongside you like I once fought at the side of your father.” At which I answered the honour was all mine. And together we went back into battle. We fought bravely, but I just couldn’t keep up with him. He killed so many men it looked like he was something else, but certainly not a human. After a long fight the battle was won, the enemy was utterly crushed and the realm was safe.
Aragorn asked me to follow him, and at that moment I noticed the other 16 knights hadn’t left his side during battle. I felt small for the first time in my life. Surprisingly we went to my father’s tent, where my father was already awaiting us.
“Aragorn, it’s good to see you again!”
“The pleasure is all mine, my dear friend.”
Once we were inside the tent, which was more a house than a tent, the knights took of their helmets and armour. They were still young indeed, not more than 23 years old. Aragorn, the man who killed so many people, was just like you and me. Just like his companions. They talked to my father the entire night. But when it was dawn, Aragorn came to me.
“Ragnar,” he said, “I heard you have the same spirit as your father, and the same swords arm. I suppose you are going to be the next king, right?”
“No, I won’t, my brother will be.”
“Your brother?”
“Yes, but please sir, forgive him his stupidity from that one night he insulted you; he was drunk.”
“That’s no excuse! A king and warrior should never be drunk!” Aragorn became angry, but he kept himself under control, a rare gift.
So I continued, “But the next day, our father punished him for this mistake, he sent him away, to a village far away from here. There he learned how it was to be a poor farmer, their he learned how hard it was to have to fight for you living. Now he has returned, and he knows he made a mistake. If he ever got the chance, he would apologize to you.”
“If you say so; but I wanted you to tell you that during the period we were gone, we heard about a realm, not that far from here. Carrying the name Calradia. There is also a kingdom like yours, a Norwegian kingdom, but they call themselves the Kingdom of the Nords. We did some investigation and it seems that they have no king the last 10 years because the last one died in battle. It also looked like their former king was family of you. After this night talking with your father we are sure you are a rightful heir on that throne. And since you can’t become a king due to the law, your father decided to send you there with his army and claim the throne. Since you have the same spirit and strength as your father, you are fit for this job and you can help the people in that realm to be free, to live in a democracy, to not fear to be raided by some army, to be able to decide things.. What do you think?”
“It seems like a nice offer to me. But I’ll need some more time to think about it.”
“There is no more time. The ship sailing there will leave tonight. You have to decide now.”
After those words he left and I stayed were I was for a long time. I decided I would go, I would take this chance and claim the throne there. I would bring prosperity to the people of Calradia, I would give the power to the people!
That’s how I came here. Aragorn and his knights stayed in Norway, they went back to their homes in a small village, build from the ruins of the village they grew up. But why did you want to know all this?”
“An old man told me about them.”
“Ah yes, of course, they are coming. They took up arms again and are heading to here. They are coming to fight for the people. Nobody will know what the future will look like once they set foot on our shores, but one thing is sure. They won’t leave before they reached their goal.”
“You mean to free the people? To bring them under your command?”
“For a part you are right, they will free the people, but they won’t bring them under my command. They are loyal to no one but them self and their own.”
“But then how will they free the people?”
“First thing they’ll do is to get rid of the looters, raiders and bandits in this land. Then they’ll fight the soldiers that loot villages. They’ll fight the soldiers that kill villagers. They will protect the people. And nobody will be safe for them when they harm a poor villager. No one. But since I was send here by them, to help the people it’s possible they’ll be favourable towards us.”
“But how did they became that strong?”
“Nobody has a real explanation, but I follow the same theory as my father, who was one of them. It’s noting supernatural, it’s just that they fought almost every day, so they became real masters of war. And they made their own armour, fitting them perfectly. It was thicker than normal armour, out of 25 plates they made 18. Of course it was heavier than normal plate armour, but they got used to the weight, and now it looks to them like they are carrying a linen shirt.”
“Why they are coming to here? Why not somewhere else?”
“They come where the people needs them. And the people of Calradia need them. I try to protect the people, but still I can’t make much progress because the lords don’t always share my thoughts. They may have heard of this, and they’ll keep their promise the made, to protect and help me. They know a lot my young apprentice. They know a lot. The only thing we can do is hope they aren’t opposing us on the battlefield but I don’t think they will, unless our lords start plundering villages. But it’s getting late, we should return home.”
He was right, it was late, we have been talking all day long. But it was worth it. I had hope again, hope for the people, hope on a better place. Hope for myself, that one day, I’d meet Aragorn.

Not much later they arrived in Calradia, and like King Ragnar proclaimed, they took up arms for the once that couldn’t do it themselves, the villagers. Bandits and looters disappeared from the landscape, raiders and deserters left the realm at all haste. Once again the people had rest.
But then hell broke out, and noting would be the same again.
The kingdoms didn’t had to bother about the outlaws attacking their villages anymore. So they look over their borders, looking for new territory. And war broke out between the 6 kingdoms of our realm. The first war consisted of 3 fronts: the Vaegirs against the Nords, the Kergits against the Sarranids and the Swadian against the Rhodok. But it were the Vaegirs that made the first mistake.
They looted Faerichen while Aragorn and his friends where in the area. He followed them and after a day travelling he ran into Alburq Castle which was under siege by the Nords and the fight would start very soon. Aragorn went to the siege camp and found King Ragnar, both man were happy to see each other again. I was so happy I was in the kings tent at that moment. Aragorn said to the king: “You know why we are here don’t you?”
“Of course I know, Aragorn, I’m sorry I couldn’t achieve it by myself.”
“No blame comes to you Ragnar, but to your lords. I’m here to fulfil my duty and I’ll fight at your side in this battle. The only think I want is that you keep your faith and you keep protecting your villagers. Are you ready to stand up for the rights of people? To bring the country under your control, brother?”
“Yes, brother, I’m ready.”
Aragorn left the tent and I went to the king.
“My lord, why did he called you ‘brother’?”
“You know my father was one of them and that we fought side by side? You remember his promise to my father; he would be loyal to him and his sons. I’m considered one of them, just like my father. I’ve proven myself in battle, and I’ve proven that I stand up for the rights of the people.”
“So they are your vassals?”
“No! Never! They are free man. They come and go as they please.”
“But they can hold land?”
“Yes, like family and like every soldier that proved himself they can be granted land, but they still wouldn’t be a vassal of the king. They are loyal to my father and me in the way that we stay one of them, that we are like family. And they never leave one of them to die in battle. They’ll always protect their own and the people. It’s complicated, one day you’ll understand. I suggest you prepare for battle, it’ll be stormed soon.”
So I took up my armour and weapons and went to the rest of the army. There I saw them lined up on the first line, The 17 Knights of Faerland. They were firing at the enemy with deadly precision and once they almost ran out of arrows they advanced towards the ladder. While they made their way up they kept firing arrows and by the time they reached the walls they ran out of them, and the amount of defenders was lowered to half of them. They pushed forward, making a hole into the shield wall. Not long after that they took over the walls and the fight was continued between the buildings of the castle. The enemy was taken down quickly by Aragorn and his men, victory was ours. After I looked the dead bodies for some loot I went to one of the towers on the walls to take a look around. There I saw them riding out again, right towards a Vaegir lord. An army of 90 man and they ran straight into it. I could hear the cries of dying men and so did the other soldiers of the king. Everybody stood on the wall, looking towards the horizon, looking to see a glimpse of the battle that was fought out there.
A few hours later Aragorn returned, all of them where alive, all of them behaved like noting ever happened. The king was right; we could only hope we never had to face them. That night the king sent me away earlier than usual, so I kept lingering around to get to know the reason. Not much after I left the tent I saw Aragorn and his companions, they went to the king and they stayed there the entire night. The next morning I woke up and I was lying before the king’s tent when all of a sudden I woke up. A swords edge was held against my throat. “You should be more careful young man.”
I looked up and I saw a smiling face, Aragorn’s face. He pulled is sword back and I stood up. “Lord Aragorn,” I said.
“Please don’t call me that, I’m not a lord, I’m just a warrior.”
“But you are a famous warrior. A respected warrior.”
“Yes, people see me this way, but it’s everybody’s own decision to decide whether they respect me for my deeds or hate me for it.”
“I really admire what you do for the people my lord, I’m a poor farmers boy myself, but King Ragnar came to our village one day and he saw me. It was the first time that I wasn’t on the field when the king came by. He spoke with my father a long time, but afterwards my father came to me and said: ‘Son, it’s time for you to prove yourself. The king wants you to be his page the next years. That way you can become a squire and if you’re lucky even a nobleman. Take your stuff and prepare for a journey.’ And so it happened, I’m in the king’s service for 2 years already. Next year I’ll become a squire he told me. And if I proved in battle, I might even become the lord of my own land, my own village.”
“That’s good to hear, I’ve always had faith in Ragnar. Remember that it’s the people that rule the kingdom, and you’ll have nothing to fear from me and we can stay friends.”
The following days our armies kept following the Vaegir’s campaign army. Often it happened we rode through the leftovers of a battle, at those moments everybody knew Aragorn had beaten yet another army. But nobody could have known what was ahead of us, not far from Sargoth our armies got ambushed and attacked by the enemy. Often it was only one of our armies against 3 to 4 of the enemy. But every time again it were Aragorn and his friends that made us achieve victory, every time it were Aragorn and his friends that were the last man standing on the field. Even after an entire day fighting they weren’t tired. Normal soldiers would go to rest or get wounded or killed because they aren’t vigilant anymore. But not them, they kept fighting the enemy hordes. The story spread Aragorn took the Vaegir king down all by himself. He stood down and heard a horse approaching him from behind, and when he looked he saw the Vaegir king on his warhorse, charging right into him. He stepped aside and hit the enemy king on his chest; heavily wounded this one tried to run away, but Aragorn shot him in the back with his bow. The Vaegir king felt unconscious and was taken captive.
After every battle Aragorn ordered to release every lord from captivity. Even the Vaegir king would be released. I didn’t understand that in the first instance, but afterwards I did. Now these lords owed him their lives. After all these fights The 17 Knights kept looking for enemies, and so they arrived at the siege of Ismirala castle. Right before the assault against the walls began, Aragorn was still not on the battlefield, nor were the other 16 Knights. King Ragnar hadn’t showed up either, so I went looking for them. I found them in Aragorn’s tent, which he shared with his friends. They was talking, but I couldn’t hear what they said. There were only 2 words I understood: Alburq and Aragorn. It was clear to me, Aragorn got rewarded with Alburq castle. They came out of the tent and I told them they had to get to the soldiers because they were waiting for The 17 Knights and their King.
The siege of Ismirala castle was similar to the siege of Alburq castle. The defenders where taken down by Aragorn and his companions from on the ground. After that they pushed forward and killed the remaining defenders. The battle was almost over and I felt like I was unbeatable, so I ran towards an enemy horseman, who now had to fight on foot. I prepared my arm for a blow right into his right flank, but then I felt a burning pain in my chest. I looked down, an arrow had hit me, right in my heart area. I felt down, unconscious.

The next time I woke up it was in a small tent, with both King Ragnar and Aragorn at my side. I told them about the book I was writing, the book that you are reading now. I told them it was about me, King Ragnar and The 17 Knights. I asked Aragorn if he wanted to finish it for me. to write down the future events that would change Calradia, so that the next generations could read what happened and know that all they are reading is true and not exaggerated.

Last edited:
Chapter I: The Reward
H2.jpg

Aragorn wasn’t a real writer, nor was he used to glorify himself. But he promised a young farmer’s boy he would finish his book. A boy both brave and honourable. A boy that would be respected once he became a man. But he never became a man, because Aragorn wasn’t fast enough. He should have been able to eliminate the enemy archer before he fired his arrow towards this kid. What started out as a war for the people, became a war for vengeance. After burying the victims of war Aragorn went back to his new residence, Alburq castle. Their he picked up some recruits and trained them to Nord heavy archers, ready for heavy battle. They were no longer with 17, but with 47. And Jeirbe castle was their first target. The battle was over quickly and the Vaegir lords from the area where beaten the next days. Aragorn didn’t ask for a reward for capturing the castle, all he wanted was vengeance. And so he continued his warpath and he set camp close to Bulugha castle, there he lured 2 Vaegir lords into a deadly arrow fire, nobody of them survived, only the lords where lucky again thanks to their strong Vaegir armour. Once again he let them go. It didn’t took long before Bulugha was assaulted. But the fighting was though. Just like every battle Aragorn ordered his army to arrow down the enemy. Once he and his companions were out of arrows, they changed into the enemy. But all of a sudden there were enemies coming from all over the place. The 17 Knights where overrun and outnumbered heavily. They were soon enclosed one by one. Aragorn saw his friends fall in the heat of battle, and he felt the same pain he felt so many years ago, when he lost her. For the second time in his live he felt fear, the fear of losing his friends. Fear could make a warrior weak, or make him stronger. Aragorn decided not to become weak because of the fear. He decided these men would pay for all the suffering he had been through, they would pay for taking down his friends. He started moving again, as that was the key of surviving in battle. And he took down the enemy soldier by soldier, starting with the best soldiers and then working his way down the ladder. The archers he left outside the fortress became frightened and charged into the castle. They rushed their commander to aid and crushed the remaining defenders. The castle was taken, but Aragorn’s friends were heavily wounded. If they would have worn normal plate armour they all would have been killed. Now they just had some heavy injuries and bruises. Nothing mortal. This time Aragorn asked his reward, since this place had to be remembered. After he sent word to the king, he took care of his friends. He healed their wounds, give them water and bread, but nobody was allowed to enter the tent they were in. So all the soldiers were waiting in front of the tent. Some were playing dice, others were talking about future plans, and two where practicing with their swords. After a few long hours Aragorn came out of the tent, his linen shirt was coloured red, his hands were under the blood of his friends, but he smiled when he saw the two training soldiers. He walked towards them. As soon as they saw him they stopped their practice and saluted Aragorn.
“I’m just a man, just like you, you don’t have to salute nor bow to me. Tell me, what are you doing?” he said.
“We are training for the next battle sir. We saw you and your friends fighting, it was just amazing, we wonna be able to fight like that too.” Answered the largest of them, a big and tall man, with a long hair braid and a beard that stretched till his chest. He could be a great fighter one day.
“Yes, the way you swing you sword is fabulous!” This man could have been any man, if it wasn’t he had a great scar on his right cheek. Most likely a sword hit him right under his helmet.
“Tell me your names,” Aragorn said.
“I’m Gaindyl, and my friend’s name is Hidal,” it was the big one that answered him.
“Well Gaidyl and Hidal, if you want to use that sword, you first have to know how to hold it.” Aragorn showed them how they had the best grip on the sword and how they could swing it best. Then he saw their faces light up. They had a deep respect for this warrior, a warrior from far away, almost a legend. But this legend was real, and he taught them how to wield a sword. He would never forget these men’s faces, nor their names. He promised them that as soon they captured a city, they would be called officers of the guards. Afterwards he went to the centre of the camp and looked for something to stand on. After a quick look around he found a rock half a meter high, not to slippery, he went standing on it and proclaimed every soldier got a 24 hour rust period because of all the last victories they had achieved. All soldiers started to jubilate, all praised their leader. Those 24 hours the soldiers ate, drunk and played like they never did anything else. The moral of the camp couldn’t be higher. But it wouldn’t last long though, the next battle was already at hand. The battle of Rivacheg. The town of Rivacheg was a coastal city with good trade exploits and good agricultural ground. But the Viking raiders of the area kept attacking farmers and trade caravans, sometimes even armies. Togheter with his companions Aragorn decided it was best to take the city from the current owner as he rather stayed inside his castle, than to fight the raiders and free the people from their terror. And so they began preparing themselves for yet another battle. Aragorn was sharpening his sword as the lookout reported an enemy army coming in their direction in high speed. Aragorn and the other 16 knights mounted their horses and prepared for battle while the other soldiers looked for their gear and gathered on top of a hill. The enemy was once again a Vaegir lord, trying to take back Bulugha castle. When he saw Aragorn and his men he ordered his cavalry to charge them head-on and ordered the infantry to approach from the left flank. Unfortunately for him that was a mistake. His cavalry was deciminated before they even reached Aragorn and his man. Aragorn and his man turned to the infantry. “Hold your fire!” Aragorn ordered. “Pick a target and wait for my signal!” Aragorn took an arrow and picked his target, the boyar himself. The enemy infantry advanced, 2 feet, 5 feet, 10 feet. “Fire!” The arrows were loosened and many Vaegir fathers, sons and husbands would never see the light again. Aragorn’s arrow hit their commander, but his armour was tick and he wasn’t mortally wounded. As fast as the last Aragorn took the next arrow and fire him at the boyar, but still, he kept standing, ordering his men to keep the line. Aragorn couldn’t believe his eyes, two hits and still he was standing. So he picked his next arrow carefully, one he had sharpened yesterday after the battle. He aimed at the commander’s head, carefully aiming, and then he let his arrow fly. The arrow flew over the heads of soldiers, straight towards the Vaegir leader. When he heard his soldiers shout, he looked up, facing the deadly arrow. The boyar felt dead on the field of battle, the arrow sticking between his two eyes. His soldiers hesitated, and shattered. “Fire at will! It’s time for some target practice!” With those words Aragorn decided the death of many men that day. He knew little would arrive, he knew those guys would be hunted down by him and his companions. He knew they wouldn’t live to tell this day. And so it happened, all enemy soldiers were taken down by arrows. The ones that achieved to get out of range on time were tracked down and attacked as well. But it seemed like fortune was on their side this time. Another Vaegir lord was close and he came the routing soldiers to aid. Aragorn saw this move and encouraged his men. “These men are just like the ones we defeated a few hours ago. They’ll fall to our arrows as easy as any other man. Aim carefully, kill with precision and victory will be ours.” With these words they ran into battle and set up on a good defendable place. The enemy ran towards them fearless because of their numbers. Their commander seems to know about the crushing defeat of the routers. Instead of coming at us in line and sending the cavalry to charge head-on, they attacked like a crazy horde, no order, no lines. The cavalry was send to the left flank, right where 4 Knights stood. The cavalry was soon history, but the infantry was a lot harder to beat. Aiming wasn’t that important anymore, you could just shoot and hit somebody. So that’s what we did, we fired at highest speed with minimum aim. The sky became dark by the clouds of arrows; darkness has fallen over the battlefield. This tactic showed off as half the enemy army was already routing once they were at 10 feet distance from us. Possibly frightened by the darkness that came upon the land on the middle of the day. Again we held a little target practice and the once that escaped the deadly clouds of arrows were captured a few hours later. For their own good they surrendered without a fight, and Aragorn promised them they would be well treated as they wouldn’t try to escape. No chains, good food, fresh water that’s what makes a prisoner happy and a happy prisoner co-operates better and walks faster. As that’s where it’s all about, speed. The faster you travel, the faster you can fire your bow, the faster you wield your sword, the more chance on surviving you have. Almost the entire Vaegir land between the big river of Curaw and the see was taken by the Nords, mostly due to the 17 Knight’s. It seems like the Nord lords don’t like to do some effort for the cause. They don’t even seem to have a cause. But those were troubles for later, first Rivacheg had to fall. And fall it would, with or without a fight. Since they were already fighting or tracking down router the entire day they waited till the next morning to leave. As soon as there was light they packed their stuff and started on their journey towards Rivacheg. After an hour of riding Alayen came riding alongside Aragorn, at the head of the colon.
Alayen: “What’s bothering you Aragorn?”
Aragorn: “It’s nothing, just some minor things.”
Alayen: “I know you better than this; something big is on your mind. What is it?”
Aragorn: “Did you saw the Nords were almost ready to leave the siege of Alburq castle when we arrived? If it wasn’t because we arrived they would have left. Only Ragnar would have stayed behind, and he hasn’t got the strength to take a castle on his own. It seems like the Nords don’t have a cause, like they have no faith.”
Alayen: “I saw it; it’s a shame for those men. But that’s why we are here. We have to help Ragnar to free the people of this realm, to give them the power they deserve. After a while we’ll know which lords are honourable and willing to help the people and which aren’t and have neither faith nor moral. Till that day, we stand on our own. But to make our power as big as possible, we have to keep fighting the enemies of the people. We need to keep protecting the people.”
Aragorn: ‘But what if we were wrong about Ragnar, what if he isn’t having the strength to do it. To stand up against his own lords, to denounce the dishonourable and to praise the honourable. What if he isn’t like his father?”
Alayen: “Then we’ll have to eliminate him, it’ll be hard as he’s like one of us, but we don’t show weakness. We stay strong and we stay faithful towards our cause. If he hasn’t got the strength, he won’t stay faithful, he’ll lose faith. Once that’s about to happen, we’ll need to over throne him. I know it won’t be easy for us, but the people need to be protected.”
Aragorn: “I know Alayen, but what will his father say about this?”
Alayen: “He’ll understand it. He sent his own son to the country land to learn how it felt to be a peasant. You remember that don’t you?”
Aragorn: “Yes I remember.”
Alayen: “Don’t worry my friend, we don’t know what the future will bring. Let’s hope Ragnar finds his strength on time.”
Aragorn: “Alayen, you remember the feast of Ragnar we were invited to not that long ago?”
Alayen: “Yes, I do.”
Aragorn: “Ever since I see her face before me again during the nights.”
Alayen: “You mean her?”
Aragorn: “Yes, but yesterday, I was here when we were fighting the Vaegir lords. I saw her face in front of me.”
Alayen: “Maybe you need some rest my friend. Since we arrived in this land we hadn’t a single day we didn’t fight. We were always hunting down raiders and looters and last weeks we were fighting the Vaegirs, who looted villages like it was the same as eating bread and they even did it with their own villages when needed. We can’t let them go unpunished, but I think we all need some rest. We haven’t fought that intense anymore for a long time. How many man did you already kill?”
Aragorn: “Somewhere close to 3000 I think.”
Alayen: “You see my friend, we need some rest. Let’s take a few days rest once we captured Rivacheg. After that we can continue our fighting against the enemies of the people.”
Aragorn: “You are right. After Rivacheg we’ll take a few days of. But not too long! The people need us.”
Alayen: “We won’t. Just to recover a bit and get our thoughts back on a line. I’ll let you be now, I think you’ll need some time to think isn’t it?”
Aragorn: “Yes my friend. Fight honourable, protect the people, and die respected.”

The rest of the journey Aragorn couldn’t set his mind of her, she kept appearing, and he kept longing about one more moment with her. Why did it need to happen? Why...
“Sir, we are approaching Rivacheg. What do you want us to do?” It was Gaindyl who was already impatient for the next fight.
“Get the man prepared, we’ll build the siege tower as soon as we arrive and assault the city when they are finished. We are going to finish this quickly. Then the entire west coast will be ours.”
“I’ll do that sir!” And he went back to the soldiers giving them their orders.

Just like Aragorn expected the city guard was completely taken by surprise. While he and the other 16 Knights kept firing at the enemy archers the men that were chosen to push the siege tower in place were progressing as fast as they could. The tower was placed at the wall in no time, and Aragorn made the fight continue on the walls itself. He made a free place for his companions to take position and cleared the left tower once they took their position. While they kept the enemy at bay he could easily kill the enemy archers and the soldiers could get up the wall. Teamwork is very important in battle, just like speed is. After years of fighting aside each other The 17 Knights were fighting like one. Once he killed all the enemy archers he heard Alayen shout: “Side!” Aragorn knew immediately Alayen ment he had to go down the wall and take out the enemy soldier with his bow. When he reached a good spot his friends threw their arrows to him, and Aragorn started sniping down the enemy one by one. Starting with the strongest units. He aimed at their neck as that was the place the armour was the weakest. After some time the enemy was down to 10 man and his soldiers kept advancing. Forcing the enemy to go back down the stairs. Aragorn could have killed them easily, but something kept him from firing. Alayen noticed and he went to Aragorn as soon as he could.
“What is it?”
“This situation, it was just like I was there again. Like she was there too. It seemed so similar. I couldn’t do it, I just couldn’t shoot.”
“I thought that was the problem, you have to let her go my friend. It wasn’t your fault, it could have been any other man too.”
“No Alayen, it isn’t that easy. I did it, and I will never forgive me for it.”
“Let it go Aragorn, come, we go to the castle. There we eat and drink and then we enjoy our victory and sleep a bit. Then you’ll see you’re feeling way better tomorrow.”
Alayen was a wise man, but this time he was wrong. Aragorn didn’t felt better the next morning. He just couldn’t let her go. Would he ever be able to? And so the days past, Aragorn had send word to the king that he also wanted to be rewarded with Rivacheg. In the mean time he already go the village of Mazen, a previous Vaegir village that was connected to Jeirbe castle and was part of the Kingdom of Nords now. Even with the rest he gave himself and his men, she wouldn’t disappear. Maybe he just didn’t want her to go? Maybe he needed her.
“Aragorn, Jarl Knudarr wants to speak with you.” A messenger stood beside him, on the eastern wall of Rivacheg.
“Why does he endeavour to speak to me?”
“He told me he had some major things to discuss with you. About politics and about the people. How he could help you on your quest for freeing them.”
“Well, you can tell him I’ll look him up as soon as I can attach myself from the war. For the moment the people need me on the battlefield and not at a richly filled table with another lords talking about the things instead of doing them. I hope you master will understand that.”
“Of course he does, my lord. He already thought that would be your answer, that’s why he sent you some more man, to defend your castle of Alburq. There are now around 130 man stationary there, defending the castle when needed and protecting the people and caravans against raiders or enemy lords.”
“Go tell you master that he’s a good man and that he can count on my support. If it isn’t too hard for you, can you go and tell the king I would like to support Jarl Knudarr for being rewarded with Ismirala castle.”
“I will do both of those things sir. But then I’ll have to leave instantly.”
“Yes, but before you go, take some extra food and water. And maybe another horse, there are enough horses in the stables.”
“Thank you sir.”
The messenger ran back to the castle and not much later Aragorn saw him riding towards Sargoth. Aragorn went to Alayen to inform his from this event. It was a major thing to have a lord as Knudarr at your side already. He was a good friend of Ragnar, and an honourable lord. Maybe his troubles were all for nothing. Maybe there were still honourable lords in this realm. Aragorn was almost at Alayen’s residence when another messenger came towards him.
“Lord Aragorn, I was send by the king to inform you that he granted Bulugha castle to Jarl Reamald, but he is willing to reward you with Rivacheg and all the villages under its protection. He gives you to chance to accept this offer, or decline it. If you accept you can put your banner on the gate, if you reject the king wants to speak to you so you can plead your arguments.”
“I’m most happy with this offer; tell King Ragnar I accept it with pleasure.”
“I will my lord.”
What will be the next message I’m going to get, Aragorn thought, it’s just like there is only one day in the year messengers may contact people.
Aragorn continued his hike towards Alayen, equipped with already two messages. The next couple of days The 17 Knights were busy with preparing the city for war, training the garrison. But with only 45 Nord heavy archers they wouldn’t hold an entire siege army. So Aragorn and his friends completed the last training sessions and then went deep into Nord territory to recruit some new men and teach them how to fight. Some 150 recruits should do for now he thought. Their income from the towns wouldn’t be sufficient to pay the soldiers, but their loot should be high enough to pay the rest.

The next morning Aragorn and his company left before daybreak, they were travelling light and fast. But still they had time to take down all the Viking raiders and steppe bandits they ran into. If it wasn’t war at this time, they wouldn’t have put on their armour, but just a linen shirt. Certainly if the only opposition they ever got was from bandits. The trip went nice and easy and after going the region of Sargoth, then till Thir and return through Jelbegi region and Tehlrog region. Last stop was Ismirala castle, Knudarr wanted to speak Aragorn, and now Aragorn was in the area. They already had somewhere around 100 recruits. The first lessons were always the easiest, learning how to use a bow or a sword is simple. But the trick to build an army is to make you soldiers wield a sword and shoot a bow like it’s a part of their body. Smashing your sword in the right direction, the right angle, hitting your opponent there were his armour is weak, that’s not as easy as it seems. This make the difference between normal armies and the armies The 17 Knights rise. Not one of The 17 Knights holds it shield up for 1 second. They just turn their shield side towards the attacking enemy and once his blow hit the shield they turn inside and smash of the head of their opponent. This is a timesaving tactic they developed by fighting every day. They can decide whether they are going to turn their shield towards him and kill one of his friends while they wait for his blow, or they can smash their sword in him before he can even start his attack. The recruits of The 17 Knights train with loaded swords, that way the real swords feel a lot lighter and the men will be able to use them a lot faster. And there it was, Ismirala castle, a big stone giant in the middle of the tundra. Aragorn ordered his men to set up camp outside the castle while he and the other 16 knights went to see Knudarr. The way to the castle was easy, since it was already late when they arrived, most people where at home. Dark places aren’t a place to be when it’s dark outside. But Aragorn didn’t mind that, what could a poorly equipped bandit do?
“Halt!”
Aragorn looked up, one of the two castle guards came towards them. “What are you guys doing here this late?”
“We were invited by Jarl Knudarr. He has send me a messenger because he wanted to speak me about something.”
The guard looked at the other guard, who was older it seemed. A string of white hair came from under his helmet. An old veteran of war, Aragorn thought, now needed to guard a stupid wooden gate.
“Only you, the others stay outside.” The first one said.
And so it was done, Aragorn went inside while the others lingered around outside. Jarl Knudarr was talking with his daughter when Aragorn came in. When the last one waited at a moral distance, not to interrupt the conversation, Knudarr called him closer.
“Aragorn, the fierce warrior, I hope he isn’t afraid of women?” Something in the way he said it made Aragorn shiver. She appeared again, no, he wasn’t afraid of them, he was afraid to lose them.
“No, of course not, my friend.”
“Good, that’s very good. There were two things that made me call you to my humble residence. Well, 3 if you count that fact that I’m grateful for your support in my demand to get Ismirala castle. It’s not like Knudarr castle, but it’s closer to the enemy. The other thing is that I wanted you to meet my daughter, Lady Gundrun. She’s not married yet, and in our country it’s tradition to seal a good friendship or alliance with marriage. Since you proved yourself worthy, and we are good friends, I allow you to see each other and stay in touch.”
“That’s very kind of you, Knudarr, but I don’t know if that’s what your daughter wants.”
“I really like the stories my father tells about you Aragorn. You seem like an honourable man, who will defend his wife when needed. I don’t think you are the type that lets her down.”
And again she appeared, but this time longer, and sharper, like she was really here.
“Is something wrong my friend? You seem to see ghosts, but I can ensure you the only once here are those of the men we slayed during the great battle of Ismirala. Gundur, I think it’s better if you leave us now. We have some other stuff to discuss.”
“Yes father.” Lady Gundur left the room, a lady in all her way. Seems like she is hard to please, and already she has a slight welcoming thing towards Aragorn. They would definitely see each other more often. If war allowed them at least.
“Another important thing I wanted to talk you about it Jarl Haeda. I don’t like the way he behaves, he is dishonourable and the king has to know. I’ve had some trouble with him before, and the king ruled in my favour. Afterwards I publicly denounced Jarl Haeda. It would help if you did the same, but then not public yet, first to Haeda in private. You may be challenged to a duel, or make yourself a political enemy, but I think it’s worth it.”
“Didn’t I heard him say during the campaign that we should repay the Vaegirs for looting our villages, and burn all theirs to the ground?”
“Yes, Aragorn, that’s what he said, that’s what he thinks.”
“I will support you Knudarr, people who say such things are an enemy of the people. Even if it’s the people of the enemy, they didn’t chose to go to war, their suppressers did.”
Aragorn excused and went outside, gathering his troops in order to denounce Jarl Haeda without needing to defeat his entire army first.

After a day trip Aragorn ran into Jarl Haeda, he ordered his regular soldiers to hide inside the woods of Tehlrog while he and his knights went to Haeda in person. The soldiers made room for these 17 warriors with respect in their eyes. Maybe Aragorn was wrong, maybe he does have earned the respect of the soldiers who saw him fight, or at least heard about it. Haeda welcomed them like he would have welcomed an annoying peasant. Aragorn’s feeling grew; he was doing the right thing here. That was for sure.
“Jarl Haeda, I came to tell you I can’t stand your attitude. You are an enemy of the people. For your own sake, don’t be an enemy of the people. I don’t think you would like to have me and my friends as your enemy, do you?”
“Take those words back, or I’ll make you eat dust in a duel!” Haeda stood up and putted his hand on his sword. Alayen wanted to stand up too, but Aragorn made him sit back down.
“Haeda, it seems you don’t know my history at all, but if it’s your wish to fight me, I’m not afraid to fight you.”
“Over an hour, at the east side of the camp. Make sure you are there.”
Aragorn didn’t even answer; he knew he would make this dishonourable man pay for his deeds. He would make him pay heavily.

An hour later both men stood on their side of the duelling arena. Haeda looked tense, while Aragorn behaved like he was talking a walk in his garden. It was Haeda who attacked first, he stabbed his sword, aiming for Aragorn’s heart. Aragorn simply took a step back making Haeda’s assault useless. Then he gave Haeda a blow on the right side of his chest, followed by a finishing blow right on his throat. Haeda was knocked unconscious. Aragorn did what he had to do: “Jarl Haeda is nothing but a vale pretender! He tells you all that you will fight for a good cause, you will return home as respected warriors. But when the time comes he makes you loot villages, steal cattle, attack caravans. But I barely saw him at sieges or big fights. If you want to return as a respected warrior, than leave this army, if not, you’ll be my enemy. Now spread my word!”
With these words Aragorn left the camp and went back to Knudarr.

Knudarr was pleased with the work Aragorn did and asked if he wanted to go tell the King his thoughts on Haeda, as that would make the chance this usurper getting more lands way lower. Aragorn was preparing to go to the King when marshal Turegor called up arms. Before joining the Nord army Aragorn killed two small lord parties and follow the marshal to Bazeck. There Aragorn received word a Vaegir lord was raiding Shapeshte. So he moved his army to their, leaving the army, but his action was succesfull. The enemy lord was beaten, the village was safe. Aragorn’s name already reached this village since the villagers decided to come and help him in this fight. So Aragorn ordered his own soldiers to protect them from casualties while he and his companions ran straight into the enemy lines, killing enemies everywhere. Half the enemy force ran, but all of them was shot in the back. No raider survived this battle. Aragorn went back to look for Turegor, but he couldn’t find him. But then something happened, something Aragorn would never forget. A Vaegir lord come towards him, all alone, with a white flag. He asked to speak Aragorn. Aragorn let him come to his tent.
“Why are you here, respected enemy?”
“A friend of mine, officer in my army, is heavily wounded. We think he needs to be operated, but he doesn’t let our doctors to it. I heard one of your men was a good surgeon, now I would ask if he was allowed to help my friend.”
“War is a bloody business, my friend, to bloody. Let’s forget about all our differences and help each other in these dark times. Bring me and my friends to your camp, we’ll see what we can do.”
The boyar was pleased by Aragorn’s willingness. He took them to his camp and brought them to the tent of his wounded friend. Their Jeremus looked at his wound, it was slightly infected. He asked everybody to go outside, this could take some time and effort and he would need his concentration. Aragorn told the boyar it would all be well once Jeremus was ready. They waited for several hours, but then Jeremus came out again.
“The wound is clean, I’ve closed it as good as possible. I advice that you keep him down for some more days. After that it’s best if he doesn’t ride a horse for 10 weeks. It could cause the wound to open again, and then no living man would be able to heal him.”
“I owe you guys a lot. I grant you free passage out of our camp and your army may pass without a single battle fought. Keep yourself alive Aragorn. The world needs you more than you think.”
The man held its promise and Aragorn marched past him with his army. Towards Curaw. What Aragorn didn’t knew was that Curaw was under siege by the Vaegir army.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm working on it. Or at least trying.
I don't know if you are familiar with De Bello Gallico of Gaius Julius Caesar? He writes sentences of 3-6 lines long. I've the same disease. xD

You defenatly have to buy to game. I'm addicted for more then 2 months now, I think it's already 3 months out? I got it the day after it came out, and I just can't stop playing it.

Problem is that in the old days books were to be read aloud, slowly. Which didn't matter much, since there wasn't much to read anyway, so one could spend a lot of time with each book.

Now we want to be able to read fast, and on a screen spacing is both cheap and mandatory. <CR> is your friend as much as punctuation, grammar and spelling are.

Also, cutting up the giant posts into two or three gives the reader another good place to rest (pictures serve the same purpose, but can be trickier to add unless you already know how)

Following the advice of the readers like i promissed i'm trying to keep the pieces smaller, and more images between them. So here is part 1 of Chapter II:

Chapter II: Lady Gudrun

mb88.jpg

The sky was dark, not because it was night, but because there was too much smoke at one place. Aragorn didn’t know where it came from, nor did any of his soldiers. Curious they continued into the darkness, closer and closer to the centre of it. There they saw what caused it. Curaw was under siege. The Vaegirs gathered their army again, the army Aragorn and his men defeated during the great battle of Fenada. Aragorn was wondering how much men it would take to defend the city. The price would be too high, especially now they had fresh recruits with them. They weren’t ready for a big battle yet. He prepared the army to go around the enemy and attack the city of Reyvadin while they sieged Curaw, the army would turn back, and by the time they found out they were fooled the Nord army would be ready to fight again. Jarl Turegor would arrive with the other Jarls. But their he saw something coming at their direction at full speed. Aragorn took his companions with him and rode towards the horseman. They prepared themself for a fight and took their swords ready. When they got closer they noticed the armour of Jarl Knudarr. It was Jarl Knudarr.
“What happened?” Aragorn asked.
Knudarr: “They came out of nowhere; my men were taken by surprise. Lots of brave soldiers already died. I could barely escape, I had to leave all my possessions.”
Aragorn: “Where’s your daughter? Wasn’t she going to Curaw the last time I came by?”
Knudarr: “Yes, we were preparing to leave, we came to here the next day.”
Aragorn: “But where is she?”
Knudarr: “She must still be inside. But the walls will soon fall as the soldiers are losing hope.”
Aragorn: “Did you left her inside a besieged city all on her own?”
Knudarr: “What should I have done? Get killed myself!”
Aragorn: “You fool! Alayen, get the men ready, we’ll enter the city through the gate in the west since the enemy is focussing at the east. We got a though fight coming up. Let them only take the things they need for the battle. Leave the cargos behind; we’ll pick them up later. If we leave the city alive at least. How many enemy soldiers did you count?”
Knudarr: “I wouldn’t know for sure. I think thousand. But I can’t say it for sure.”
Aragorn: “Ok. You’re coming with us.”
Knudarr: “What? You have to be kidding my friend, I won’t go back in that place of death!”
Aragorn: “You left your daughter behind, I suggest you come with us and save her. That’s best for all of us.”
Knudarr: “She can save herself.”
Aragorn: “We can do this the easy way or the hard way my friend. Please make the right choice.”
Knudarr: “Ok, ok. I’m coming with you. You’ll need somebody who knows the city to get on the walls on time.”

mb69.jpg

Not a minute later they went to the western gate. The gate master let them through without hesitation. The way to the walls was long, but that didn’t bothered Aragorn, Lady Gudrun was what bothered him, and why her father left her here by herself. When they reached the walls the enemy was preparing for the next assault. The city guard looked depressed, but as soon as Aragorn got on the walls, men began to smile. Soldier took up arms again. Archers refilled their amount of arrows. These soldiers wanted to fight one more day. It didn’t matter if they died or lived another day. They had to honour of fighting alongside Aragorn and the other 16 Knights. These men didn’t feared pain nor death anymore. It was encouraging to have such great warriors next to you. This didn’t changed the fact Knudarr had to do something to his eyes. There weren’t thousand enemies, 500 approximately. Nothing Aragorn couldn’t handle. The siege tower was pushed towards the wall and Aragorn commanded the remaining archers to start firing at the best troops first. He would take the boyars for his own account. His tactic showed off and soon the enemies best troops and commanders were down. Aragorn went down the wall and looked for a little door to go outside the city. After a few yards he found one that he could use. He went outside and flanked the remaining enemy infantry, with the assistance of the archers on the wall they were defeated in no time. Aragorn climbed back up the wall and went directly to the castle, looking for Lady Gudrun. He found her in a corner of her chamber, completely terrified, crying and yelling all over the place. It took Aragorn some time to get her calm again.
Gudrun: “I’m so glad you came, you can’t imagine how happy I am.”
Aragorn: “No, indeed, I won’t say I do, because I really don’t. I’m happy I ran into your father. I thought you were still in Ismirala castle.”
Gudrun: “You know what those barbarians do to women, don’t you?”
Aragorn: “Yes, unfortunately I do. But they’ll pay for it, very soon. One way or the other they awoke my hate, my hate because they assaulted the city you were in. I can’t describe the feeling, we only know each other for such a short time, but I feel this deep affection towards you. You are so alike to her.”
Gudrun: “To who Aragorn?”
Aragorn: “No, nothing. Just forget what I said.” He smiles to Gudrun.
Gudrun: “I don’t mind if you had somebody else before you lost one way or the other, if you aren’t ready for it we can wait a bit longer. We can do it slowly. I understand you need time, my younger brother died in battle too. While he saved me. It was a siege too, the one before we lost Knudarr castle. The walls were already down and the fight continued in the streets and buildings, even in the castle. Frightened of the noise so close I went outside my room, right to the great hall. Right towards the fighting, but I couldn’t know that, the sounds of war were coming from everywhere. An enemy crossbowman saw me entering and aimed at me. My brother saw that, he jumped before me and took the bolt himself. He died there, in my arms.”
Aragorn: ‘’I know how you must feel. I’ll tell you later, I need some more time for myself first. I still see her face before me every battle I start. It’s not that I don’t want to remember her, but I want to remember her when I want, and as something good. Not something that makes my heart cold when I have to fight. Maybe one day, I see your face in front of me before the battle starts. As my reason to survive this battle.”
Gudrun: “Take all the time you need, we both have been through a rough period. We both have been victim of the cruelty of war. My only hope is that one day you will stop fighting, cause every battle again I fear for your life. If I hear the stories they say you and your friends seek the enemy and aren’t afraid to fight hordes 10 times your size. Please, don’t seek death because of her, don’t leave me alone. I feel great with you next to me, I don’t want to lose you.”
Aragorn: “I can’t promise you I’ll ever stop fighting, nor that I won’t seek danger anymore. Me and my friends just have a strong feeling to defend the people, to defend the once that can’t do it themselves.”
Knudarr: “Aragorn, can I talk to you for a moment?”
Aragorn: “Excuse me, my lady, duty calls this warrior.”
Gudrun: “I’ll be waiting for you.”
Knudarr felt really sorry that he left behind his daughter, but he wasn’t himself anymore. Or that’s at least what he said. Aragorn forgave it him and they continued their grudges towards Haeda, this time denouncing him publicly. The poor man didn’t learn his lesson and challenged Aragorn to a duel. His first blow was blocked, and before he could say ‘mercy!’ he was already knocked down. He lied in the sand, like a snake, the only reason Aragorn didn’t killed him then was that he was an honourable lord, and not a serpent like Haeda. If he had killed him, he wouldn’t be any better. Aragorn wanted to keep an eye on Haeda for some time, but something made him ride back towards Curaw. Knudarr was taken prisoner by the Vaegirs! The letter came from Lady Gudrun, she didn’t knew what do to. She had nobody else who could help her now her brother was imprisoned in a castle far away and her father by a Vaegir party that was part of the Vaegir army. Aragorn was the only man who could save him. Aragorn didn’t hesitated a single moment, he gathered his army, 120 men strong because of recent recruiting to garrison Reyvadin. He rode out towards the bridge of Curaw, from their he went Nord till he noticed the tracks of a Vaegir army. He followed them, and walked almost into the entire Vaegir army. He sent a svenner he hired not long before to the enemy camp to see where Knudarr was held captive. The svenner reported they were lucky, he was with a general who was patrolling the area, with his prisoners still in his army. The svenner was lucky himself that he could speak Vaegir, otherwise he would have been captured himself. Aragorn rewarded him with a lot of money and continued to patrol the countryside in search for the general that had Knudarr in his party. A few yards later he found him, they were coming back to the camp. They didn’t know that they wouldn’t make it to the camp alive. Jarl Knudarr was most pleased to be rescued, and thanked Aragorn for it, he even wanted to pay him for this action. But Aragorn couldn’t accept the money, he didn’t do it for the money, he did it for Knudarr and of course his daughter. They rode back to Curaw together, talking the entire time about politics. Knudarr asked Aragorn if he could do some minor things for him and raise 7 Nord Huscarls for his army. Aragorn told Knudarr he would do that while he was travelling over the new gathered lands, hunting down looters and raiders. After he escorted Knudarr back home he went to Gudrun’s room, unfortunately she wasn’t here. She was riding in the forests of Curaw with some guards. Aragorn knew he would come back as soon as possible, but still he had the strange feeling that would take a long time.

A couple of days later he went to Sargoth, to talk with King Ragnar about the current situation. He told the king about the dishonourable actions of Jarl Haeda, the king didn’t like the fact that his lords were grumbling towards each other, but he supported Aragorn, and he would look into the situation and deny Haeda to receive any more fiefs. The king looked a bit depressed, so Aragorn asked what was bothering him.
Ragnar: “My men aren’t the fighters my father gave me, they all died already, I’ve almost been death too but I achieved to save myself. The current soldiers in my army can’t fight as well as I would like, so I wanted to ask you if you could lent me Nizar for some time, to train them. I saw him on the battlefield, he’s wielding his sword very fast. Since most of my men are young farmers they don’t have the power you or Alayen have, they need the speed of Nizar. Is this alright with you?”
Aragorn agreed, and ordered Nizar to stay with the king for some time. During their talking a messenger of Jarl Turegor came in, he needed back-up at Radoghir castle, his troops were almost crushed by Vaegir support during his siege and he needed Aragorn to come to his aid. The king dismissed Aragorn and this last one rode to Radoghir castle like he hadn’t rode for long. The 17 Knights arrived right on time, the defenders sallied fort to crush the last 43 men of Jarl Turegor. The 17 Knights rode strait into the enemy charge, and chaos broke out. While they kept the defenders at bay, Turegor gave his men the order to go inside the castle and kill any defender they saw. The Vaegirs who sallied fort were surprised and didn’t know what to do. They were quickly killed by Aragorn and his men, yet another castle had been taken by the Kingdom of the Nords. Aragorn stayed resident at the castle till it was rewarded to a lord because he thought the enemy would try to get it back as soon as possible. With The 17 Knights counted in the garrison they were with 35, this wouldn’t be enough to keep an entire Vaegir army at bay, but they would try, or die trying. A week later the king rewarded the castle to Aragorn, who accepted this reward once again. But the same day it was already besieged by the Vaegirs. Somewhere close 600 men they brought to the fight. Aragorn thought about a tactic that could help them, but he couldn’t figure anything out. He called a meeting with his companions, together they stayed in the lord’s hall for several hours. They debated, they discussed, they yelled, they shouted. And finally they knew what they would do, the enemy was building a siege tower, so if they succeeded to keeping them at bay for long enough, they could put it on fire, buying themselves more time, and maybe reinforcements arrived. The only remaining question would be, who would keep the enemy busy. Aragorn volunteered but nobody would let him go by himself, soon all 17 knights would hold the enemy busy while the garrison kept shooting at them from the wall and tried to get the siege tower burning. How the knights would escape stayed a mystery. And so it happened, the enemy attacked.

mb74.jpg

Aragorn and his knights let the siege tower been placed in front of the wall, and once it was in place they charged town, fighting the enemy in the middle first, but later they went further down. Before they knew they were fighting at the ground. Enemy reinforcements arrived and The 17 Knights were surrounded and separated. The garrison commander ordered his men to charge the enemy and try to rescue Aragorn and his men. After a fierce fight Aragorn managed to kill all the enemies encircling him. Half the garrison already felt for the enemy swords, but the enemy had higher loses.

mb75bew.jpg

Aragorn saw his companions were completely trapped, and started a race against the clock to free them and give them space to move again. As for now, they had to fight against a mass, coming closer and closer, there were always more enemy swords coming towards them than they could give blows to the enemy. Luckily for them they had their battles and were hardened warriors, any other man wouldn’t have survived what they survived. At that moment Aragorn spotted the master of the guard, the last of the garrison that came down, he felt when Aragorn saw him. Aragorn knew there was no time to lose, so he speeded up his blows. Everybody who hadn’t seen his face would think he was a demon, a bringer of death, or even worse, the devil himself!

Enemy reinforcements have arrived! It was one of the guardians who shouted over the battlefield. Just like that was something Aragorn and his men needed! But none the less they kept fighting, they fought even harder now they knew there would be more enemies awaiting their death soon, to soon.
Aragorn achieved to get the remaining knights out of their encirclement. He went to the other side of the fight to take down even more men from the back, slaying them one by one. A few dozen of them turned to Aragorn and started fighting him, pushing him back, slowly but surely. Or did he do it on purpose? He kept his distance to the enemy, stretching them into one big line so he could take them down one by one again. Trusting on his stamina and his fast blows. He managed to defeat these men, but how long could he continue? How long could his friends continue?

mb76bew.jpg

The enemy stayed numerous, his friends stayed encircled, the amount of fallen friends kept rising.
Even after another successful action the enemy kept holding ground; Aragorn prayed to the gods these were the last enemy soldier for this night.

mb77bew.jpg

After a long time there was hope again, the enemy numbers were lower than ever before. This could be the winning round, Aragorn went back for yet another action, lurking more men into his deathly trap. But it couldn’t be like that, more enemies arrived. Aragorn’s eager to fight became cold, and so did the night. It was already winter, it was late for the time of the year, but the temperature was too low for spring. It was freezing so hard the blood on Aragorn’s armour became thick from the moment it touched the cold steel. The steel that was shining hours ago, was now red and drained. He must have killed more than hundred men already! Something in him gave his arms strength again, his eyes saw the enemy again, an enemy that was numerous again! An enemy who was slaying his companions. He charged into the enemy like a crazy caveman. But it wouldn’t help. Not much later the enemy was many soldiers weaker, good. None the less Aragorn was the last defender standing, bad.

mb78bew.jpg

He kept fighting, good. 496 enemies were already taken down in this battle, good. 34 of theirs had fallen, bad. The enemy kept coming, bad.

mb79bew.jpg

Aragorn continued his guerrilla, he kept making lines, no! Not lines, one big line. More a colon of 2 man width and 82 man long. But he couldn’t fail on his man now! He had to continue, he had to defeat the enemy! So he kept fighting, he fought brave, it seemed like his arms never became tired, like he never made a single mistake. He found the enemies weak spots and stroked hard. He almost felt, he almost lost this battle, he felt over a rock, and the enemy swarmed upon him, he took hard hits, everything became blurred, and there she was again. ‘Aragorn, don’t fail on your men, not as long as I’m with you.’ That was all she needed to say to make him wake up again. He found his balance and delivered heavy blows to the enemy, left strikes, right strikes, overhead smashes, everything. And at last he faced the last enemy man. It could have seemed ironically but they stood face to face to each other, when they both congratulated each other. They were the last men in this battle. This battle of terror and doom. They gave each other a moment to regain some strength, and then they fought the final duel. A duel that wouldn’t only decide who would return home honoured and who would return home with his tale between his lacks, but also if the castle of Radoghir would be kept by the Nords, or retaken by the Vaegirs. Finally Aragorn found a worthy opponent, whether it was because he was tired or because this man was skilled, he wouldn’t live to fight him another day both at full strength. The battle kept going, the sun began to rise. The Vaegir soldier took out to Aragorn, this one tried to block, but his sword was glibery and so the Vaegir sword slipped further, right in Aragorn’s left side, right under his armour. Blood felt on the ground, Aragorn knew he would die this day. he would never see the sunset again, never see his friends again. He would never see Ragnar or Knudarr again. Gudrun, ..., she would be disheartened by this lose. He couldn’t die today, it just couldn’t! He would survive this fight, he would return to Curaw, to Gudrun! Courage took him and he prepared for the final blow. His opponent noticed, his eyes became big, he knew that he was facing death itself, he knew he was wrong about killing a legend, he lost his head a few moment later. The eyes were still big, still surprised. Aragorn felt on the field of battle, the Vaegir army was defeated. The inhabitants of the battle heard no more sounds of battle, so they went to the wall and looked on the field. A field filled with death bodies, and wounded soldiers. They went down, looking for survivors, whether they were Vaegir or Nords, all were cured. The same citizens made the after-battle-count:

Radoghir.jpg

To be continued

Please tell me if the last part was better, and if you had a better overview. If there are any remarks, post them, and i'll work on it. This AAR isn't only written for you, but with you!

Better - but (since I am lazy ;)) I'd suggest you rereading your last post and look for long blocks of text. Areas where you have more than ten lines of text in a row can usually benefit from getting a blank line put in. Perhaps before a conversation starts and after it ends.

The parts between the "Boyar Assault" and the last battle picture works nicely. The last batch of text can work, but is a bit long. The first three sections.. well, I think they look long. But maybe it's just me that's expecting light reading ;)

Thank you for the comment. It's just I loved those pictures so much xD .
The second last from on the battlefield should have been left out for our own sake or i should have posted it together with another, cause it makes the view on what's going on a bit better. I'll think about it next time.

Thanx, i wanted to continue, but the game became a bit boring, Swadia was almost completely taken and i hadn't had a lot of action yet :( and it was to easy. So i finished it.

Good news Nikolai II, a new AAR is coming.

I putted this one to a rest for a while, it became boring on the low settings.

Now i'm playing on the highest, and the wall o'text is no more. I made improvements. As we speak I'm writing chapter 2. It'll be published here soon.
On taleworlds forum it's already.