• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Qorten

Crazy Cat Person. Meow!
121 Badges
Feb 10, 2007
  • Cities in Motion
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Majesty 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Paradox Order
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
This AAR uses EU3:NA v2.1 and later moved to v2.2.
Mod: MEIOU:NA v1.0 + some additions (I put the national idea's and the westernisation event from the Temujins' Ambition minimod for EGA 8 into MEIOU and eliminated any Luck factors except the extraordinary leaders and monarchs for 'Lucky' countries)
House Rules:
-No force vassalization of nations consisting of more then 5 provinces unless I have reached 99% Warscore AND the capital.
-No using the trick with the loans the AI can't pay back to get CB's.
It will be played with the following settings:
Startingsetup.jpg

rheinlan.jpg

In times long gone, a famous man died at the Battle of Lechveld fighting the barbarian Magyars. Conrad the Red, ruler of the lands along the Rhine from Speyer along Worms and further north was the great grandfather of Conrad the Second, King of Germany from 1024 and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire and King of Italy from 1027 to his death in 1039. Three others of the same line became Holy Roman Emperor.

Although the threads wear thin, the Counts of Rheinland-Pfalz, rulers of Mainz, Worms and Oberfranken trace their lineage back to these important men.

On December 13th 1476 a young man, Philipp der Edelmütige became the new Count. He was a strong man, with a strong will, but most of all, he was rather power hungry, not satisfied to just keep to the lands he had inherited from his father. Thus, his name wasn't really chosen well, was it? :) It wasn't the sort of generosity shown between two rulers though, rather generosity towards his people, whom he would count upon when he would fight the wars he planned.
Monarch_Tue_1_1_1479_Edited.jpg

This is what he started out with:
View_Tue_1_1_1479.jpg

The Pfalz was a region where the power was decentralized, divided between the Counts, lower nobility and wealthy merchants living in the cities along the Rhine. Fed up with seeing how the lower nobility tried to steal power away from the rightful rulers, Philipp favored the merchants and went with their views on Free Trade.
Policy_Tue_1_1_1479_Edited.jpg

A man dreaming of gaining power in the Empire, he would need soldiers, not merchants, to do the fighting. Thus he set out a plan to gain better troops and possibly get an edge over his enemies, or at least keep up with them.
Research_Tue_1_1_1479_Edited.jpg

Last edited:
Start Overview part 2

The Counts of Rheinland-Pfalz are still to be reckoned with. They are Electors in the Holy Roman empire. Currently they are favoring there own as the next Emperor :)
HRE_Tue_1_1_1479.jpg

As for the merchants Philipp favors, they choose for themselves where they go and earn money, but most of them flock to Lübeck, center of the Hanseatic League. A place where a clever merchants can earn a fortune, but sadly so far our merchants can't really stand up yet to the traders from the North, but they try their best.
Tradefocus_Tue_1_1_1479.jpg

As for the diplomatic relations Philipp has built so far a military alliance has been formed with the Imperial City of Frankfurt, as well as a Royal Marriage and an alliance was signed with Franconia. Also another Royal Marriage was arranged with Baden.
Mon_11_3_1479_Diplo.jpg

These were all small neighboring states. The plans for Frankfurt were simple, get them to honor us as their liege, and maybe annex them sometime in the future through these close bonds.
Philipp allied Franconia for another matter though. He wanted the Frankish Archbishop and his army on his side when he would attack Ansbach, which divided his main lands from Oberpfalz.

In the meantime two great European powers were fighting over formerly Burgundian lands. Austria gained the Lowlands when Mary of Burgundy married the Archduke and the French had Bourgogne back, but they were not satisfied with those lands. It seemed though they wouldn't get much more out of it, seeing from the strength of the Austrian armies, backed up by the Holy Roman Empire.
FRA-AUS_Trade_Fri_30_5_1480.jpg

_____

So far the introduction. The first 20 years might be up tomorrow, or the day after. I already played them, but it's really way too late now to continue writing.

Hope you all enjoy it, comments are welcome.

This is my first serious AAR ever btw, I really hope it develops into something worthwhile. :)

Last edited:
very good start, will be interesting to see where this goes.

I'll definitely be following this one :D

Great start. Maybe a stupid question : why 1479 start (just out of curiosity) ?

Cool looking mod. The small HRE state AARs are always my favorites. :cool:

I've never used the subscribe function since I tend to check the AAR forum often, but I think it's about time I do. Thread subscribed. :)

Zimfan said:
Cool looking mod. The small HRE state AARs are always my favorites. :cool:

I've never used the subscribe function since I tend to check the AAR forum often, but I think it's about time I do. Thread subscribed. :)

ditto

@everyone that replied so far: Thanks for the good comments, I've only just begun though!

@gigau in particular: Basically I like it when things go "somewhat" historical, and a Burgundy surviving into the Industrial Revolution isn't exactly that. Starting in 1479 just gives all the major nations that survived a better starting position, except maybe France and Sweden, but maybe that'll keep them from blobbing "somewhat". Seems to make the chance much bigger that Spain comes into existence, slightly easier for Muscowy to actually form Russia (although so far it's the third time that Poland just takes previously Novgorodian lands from them early).

War of Palatine Agression part 1

Philipp hated the neighboring County Ansbach fiercely. The reasons were obvious. He couldn't reach his eastern lands without the Counts' permission, leaving the nobility in Oberpfalz much more mighty then Philipp wanted them. He was sure they held back large sums from the taxes, not to mention the so-called 'bandits' along the Ansbachian (is that a word or not? :) ) miserable roads. Often the cart with taxes didn't even make it to the capital.
The Count was sure it was actually soldiers from the army of Ansbach disguised as bandits.
So he made a plan and started gathering an army worth calling it that. In November 1481 the army consisted of one regiment of knights, drawn from the upper and lower nobility in his lands and three regiments of foot soldiers. Considering Ansbach had only two regiments and it's only ally Nüremberg couldn't possibly have much more, he called upon his allies and invaded.
War_Nov_1481.jpg

There wasn't that much fighting going on except in the beginning. Most armies where busy sieging the other one's cities. The Ansbachian Count and his allies seemed to have trained for those well though, as they took our cities faster then we took theirs.
Philipp was still sieging Nüremberg and Franconia the capital of the Count of Ansbach when Ambach, the largest city in Oberpfalz was taken by the enemy.
The foolish Count thought this drawback would make Philipp yield for his demands, but seeing how crazy these are it was doubtful he expected that Philipp would take them for an insult and fight on.
No_Peace_Offer_Jun_13_1482_Edited.jpg

Towards the end of July 1482 Franconia finally had full control over Ansbach. Instead of helping to conquer Nüremberg they signed a separate peace with Ansbach and Nüremberg. Frankfurt peaced out too, due to some assassinations on important citizens.
Allies_Peace_Jul-Aug_1482_Edited.jpg

Now Philipp had to fight the war all on his own. He was certain Ansbach' ally Nüremberg would soon fall and agree to become part of his County though in a matter of months and it would be a one versus one war against Ansbach.
Siege_Won_Sep_8_1482_Edited.jpg

Annex_Thu_16_9_1482_Edited.jpg

Last edited:
War of Palatine Agression part 2

Now Philipp had Ansbach where he wanted it.
1vs1_War_Dec_1483.jpg

A one on one Ansbach couldn't possibly win. Outnumbered, with no cavalry worth the name he could only run. Soon Ambach and the region of Oberpfalz was back under Rheinlandian control.
Siege_Won_Feb_2_1483_Edited1.jpg

Then Philipp moved his army to Ansbach, while his enemy moved to Mainz. Again it seemed like his enemy would take over his lands sooner then Philipp could overrun Ansbach. What he feared happened, but when the enemy Count came back to Ansbach Philipp had two mercenary companies hired to take over Mainz back, while he himself took care of his enemy AND Ansbach itself. Because of this 'masterpiece' :) of strategy the Count of Ansbach had to flee for his life, leaving Philipp in control. Without a ruler and army to protect them, the people soon gave up their independence.
Annex_Sat_8_4_1484_Edited.jpg

Last edited:
Good job annexing Nuremberg and Ansbach, that'll give you a stronger position in Germany.

I'm updating to NA 2.2 today, so I have no idea wether I can continue this AAR or not. If not, I'll just have to start anew. :( But it seems the saves are compatible so...

EDIT: It's compatible :)

Last edited:
Qorten said:
I'm updating to NA 2.2 today, so I have no idea wether I can continue this AAR or not. If not, I'll just have to start anew. :( But it seems the saves are compatible so...

EDIT: It's compatible :)
that is good, we never want to see an AAR terminated.

Anyways I have never seen a MEIOU game, so for you, you are advertising and writing an AAR! :D

Diplomacy 1482-1488

During the war with Ansbach the Archbishop of Trier got in touch with the Pfalz through mutual friends in Franconia. So in August 1482, when the war was looking rather bad for Philipp, he got a heads-up in a new ally.
New_Ally_Sun_22_8_1482_Edited.jpg

Another heads-up came at the very end of the war when the Bohemian King offered the hand of his daughter to Philipp, on August the 30th the Royal Marriage was sealed in the Dom of Worms.
Dom_zu_Worms.jpg

Royal_M_BOH_Aug_30_1484.jpg

The war had become known throughout Europe as the 'War of Palatine Aggression'. All rulers now knew what kind of ruler Philipp was, so he decided to bide his time and let tensions cool down and make people think he wasn't so power hungry after all. For four years nothing happened on the diplomatic front.

In February 1485 someone gifted with Philosophical knowledge became known in the region Ansbach. Johannes Reuchlins' latest work impressed Philipps' close friends and advisors Michael Pacher and Antonio de Nebrija, both painters. They convinced the Count that hiring him into service would cause a rise in the prestige of Rheinland-Pfalz.
New_Advisor_Feb_10_1485.jpg

Three years later in 1488 relations had cooled off enough in the Empire and stories about Philipps' interest in less violent things such as philosophy had reached the ears of Duke Wilhelm II of Hesse, offering an alliance. Two years later also the Archbishopric Eichstätt offered us an alliance.
New_Ally_Tue_17_3_1488_Edited.jpg

New_Ally_Mon_5_12_1490_Edited.jpg

Last edited:
Technology and Treachery

Scientific and technological advances were made during this period of peace as well as a streamlining of the government. This gained Rheinland-Pfalz the possibility of recruiting the more advanced Galloglaich infantry and constructing the Caravel (should it ever gain access to a port :) ). And it very slightly raised the County's income.
NT3_Jul_1493_Edited.jpg

Prod3_May_1491_Edited.jpg

Gov3_Sep_1492_Edited.jpg

LT3_Oct_1489_Edited.jpg

Meanwhile Philipp tried to get the Frankfurters so far as the accept him as their liege, but they stubbornly refused, afraid of the privileges they might lose if they did.
Refuse_Vassal_Apr_16_1494.jpg

Another blow for the Count came when his spies discovered some Oberpfalzian nobles had made a secret pact with Bohemia (so far the usefulness of Royal Marriages :) ) to secede in return for less taxes. This of course caused some turmoil and the nobles were executed.
Nobles_Event_May_24_1495_Edited.jpg

August 1495 was another month to remember. Philipp made his new plans for the army public. It was a policy that would gain Rheinland-Pfalz cheaper troops and capable of nourishing and drafting more troops. It also implemented rules that would enhance the morale of the soldiers. This meant less focus on shipbuilding, but who needed ships when he didn't even have a single port? :D
Policy_Aug_1495_Edited.jpg

Last edited:
Enewald said:
Wewt! Palatinate rises sweetly. :cool:
May I ask what are you going to do when the reformatino hits you?

I might go Protestant if enough of my provinces convert, say 1/3. Then the others should slowly follow. I'm definitely not going Reformed if I can help it.

@Shiggs: Hehe, war will come again eventually, but my first objective now is getting Frankfurt to accept diplo-annexation, so I'll have to keep quiet another decade or so to get down my reputation to 'honorable'.