• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Who knew that being under threat from a ravaging horde would encourage people to go off marrying each other. Mysterious place, this Hesh.

Good Rhaego. And somehow I imagine that was quite on purpose.

Dire news from the grass though.

Rhaego is a poet and a romantic. Dire is only the beginning, see the next chapter.

Rhago is looking up. Let's just hope he can do something other than slowly building strength and possibly uniting his people.

Unfortunately Hesh starts in a rough position, luckily all the neighbors seem content to raid so far, rather than conquer.

They're sweet when they're little, but I have a feeling that Rhaego's optimism won't survive the brutal realities of life in the shadow of the Dothraki...

He will be tested.

A poet just like Rhegar Targeryen

Definitely some family traits slip through, better Rhaegar's than Viserys'.

Who knew that being under threat from a ravaging horde would encourage people to go off marrying each other. Mysterious place, this Hesh.

Just trying to die happy.

8306 The Year of Mourning
8306 The Year of Mourning
(from the Lhazareen Book of Years)

Jhaquo Shiqethi rode through the hills of Hesh toward the village of Cold Spring, his spirits lifting as he spotted more and more familiar landmarks. They had made it home. The last three months had been brutal, fleeing the disaster in Rhaesh Lame. The Northern Steppes khalasar had dogged their every step. At first he had not understood why the Dothraki had not finished them off. With most of the Lhazareen on foot on the open plains, the horse archers could have slaughtered them at any time without taking a single loss. Instead every day a lone rider would charge into the exhausted Hesh column and single out some poor soul and challenge him. A hundred days and a hundred dead Lhazareen had brought them to the borders of Hesh. The Dothraki, it seems, had been using the march to blood their young riders.

But two days ago they had reached the Lhazar Hills and the daily challenges had stopped. The Dothraki still followed, but play time was over. Jhaquo had ridden ahead of the main column, there would be ravens at Cold Spring and he needed to get information on how things stood in Hesh and warn them that Khal Marro and his Northern Steppes Khalasar had arrived to Raid.

As Jhaquo topped the last ridge above the Cold Spring valley, he spotted smoke directly ahead, too much smoke for the morning cooking fires or the smithy forges. Then he heard a too familiar sound, the thunder of thousands of hooves. He dismounted and crept to the edge of the tree line. In the valley below, a Dothraki khalasar was sweeping north, heading for the column he had left behind. At first he thought Khal Marro had circled ahead of Hesh army, but then he realized he did not see any of the banners or totems that he had become familiar with over the past three months. He did a quick count as the horde passed below. Over 4,000 riders, double Khal Marro’s Khalasar and four times as many as his own unsuspecting army.

Jhaquo’s legs gave out and he collapsed to the ground and began to weep from exhaustion and despair. His army… his men were dead. With this unknown khalasar ahead and Khal Marro behind, there would be no fleeing this trap, the whole Hesh army would be slaughtered. He staggered back to his horse and mounted. For a moment he considered following the Dothraki north and joining his men in death. He would be free of knowledge of his failure, free of the constant fear from the raids on his people. But duty and self-preservation won over despair, and he turned his horse’s head south toward home.

gcFTrZN.png

As Jhaquo and a thousand survivors were fleeing for home with Khal Marro and the 1,900 riders in his khlalasar following closely behind, another 3,500 Dothraki screamers were also riding for Hesh under Khal Scoro's banner from the northwest. But another beat them all to Hesh.

Iy2HxOY.png

Mosko Arakho and his Khalasar of almost 4,000 men had arrived in Hesh first. Mosko was the brother Khal Arakho of Jhaquo, but when his brother had claimed the Jhaquo Khalasar, Mosko had refused to kneel to the new Khal. But instead of challenging Arakho for leadership of the clan and fighting his own brother, Mosko and his followers had chosen to leave Jhaquo territory and become true nomads, raiding everything in their path. Mosko made no declaration of war on Hesh, he just swept in with the aim to take whatever he needed and move on. His timing was catastrophic for Hesh.

The Hesh army, fleeing Khal Marro, had no inkling of the presence of Mosko's Khalasar and was caught totally unprepared when the Khalasar and the Hesh Army crossed paths. As they tried to flee this new army, Khal Marro came up behind them and joined the fray. The Hesh army ceased to exist.

xXnTHNb.png

Mosko and his Khalasar did not stay long in Hesh. Instead they continued south into Lhazosh, looking for a less contested target to pillage. Three Dothraki Hordes in a small area would soon have them fighting each other.

Jhaquo arrived in Hesh and delivered the terrible news to the Regency Council. Refugees and the two khalasars of Khal Marro and Khal Scoro were close behind, the Dothraki pillaging as they went. Soon the capitol of Hesh was under siege.

Lord Barjik pleaded," You must listen to reason, Lord Regent. We must surrender."

"No, we have beaten Cohollo and Fono," Priest Kamaj replied, "With the Great Shepherd's help, we will defeat the Dothraki at our gates as well."

General Barslek cut in," Lord Barjik is right. We had an army to strike back against Cohollo and Fono, now we have none."

"We can hire mercenaries, the Free Cities do it all the time."

Rimmi spoke up, " We only have enough coin to hire one or two small companies, 1,500 men."

General Barslek agreed, "And 1,500 men is not enough to drive away almost 6,000 Dothraki from Hesh."

Priest Kamaj fought on, "We send them into the Great Grass Sea to attack their encampments, as we did against Cohollo and Fono."

"We already tried that against Khal Marro, and all our men are dead."

The Council room sat in silence for moment, and then Rimmi added, "Even if we did, our coin would run out before the mercenaries reached those encampments."

"And Hesh will have fallen long before that." General Barslek said flatly.

Priest Kamaj looked around the Council table and knew he had lost. "They will take everything." he said bitterly.

"Aye, but we've been through it before. They always leave just enough so we can rebuild, so they can return in a few years and raid us again. Prolonging this will just mean more lives lost, and we have lost too many already."

Both Khals accepted Hesh's surrender. The Dothraki had little need for gold, so they only took half the treasury and concentrated on systematically looting and pillaging Hesh and Atakosh for food, leather, wool, steel, and slaves. But there was no wholesale slaughter and burning of villages and towns that would have occurred if the wars had continued. In the end, the wars and raiding were done and the Dothraki had taken their loot north before the spring planting.

VqPxtCQ.png

sc8mb2g.png

The people of Hesh returned to the farms and villages and got back to work. There were no planting feasts or other celebrations. All felt the loss of men who had gone to war, never to return, and the others taken as slaves by the Dothraki. But they were mourning more than those lost to war, they were mourning their loss of hope. Briefly, with the miraculous appearance of Rhaego and their small victories over the Dothraki, they had begun to hope that constant predation by the Dothraki would end. But they had just been reminded that the Lhazareen eked out their existence at the sufferance of the Dothraki and their other neighbors.

Even now, while Hesh had peace, Lhazosh was defending itself against Slave Raids from Lord Yurkhaz of the Bone Coast and Lord Methyso of the Port Yhos. And a new Lord ruled in Kosrak, 14-year old Lord Fogo Drogikh, because his father had been killed by raiders from Qarth in the past year.

wZ2OBUA.png

GfQrsJa.png

It seemed that the only time the Lhazareen had peace was when the Dothraki and the Slaver Cities were fighting amongst themselves. To the west, Master Reznak of Khyzai Pass was revolting against the rule of Great Master Hizdahr IV of Meereen. To the north, Khal Arakho of Jaqhuo had been defeated by Khal Kogo of Lajatto, and the Jhaquo clan had ceased to exist, absorbed into the Lajatto. But all were not happy with this as Ko Villo of Villo was fighting for independence from his new Khal.

EMKloIZ.png

M3eTScC.png

So Hesh knew peace as its neighbors fought each other. Their summer of peace brought a rich harvest though all had to work hard to bring it in as they were short handed. But again there were the harvest festival giving thanks to the Great Shepherd were subdued, as all waited for someone to come claim the fruits of their labor.

Q87RXEq.png

A lone Dothraki warrior rode toward the keep at Hesh. People hid themselves and their children as he passed. Others looked north to see if more Dothraki followed in his wake. He came to the gates, and surprisingly, he humbly asked for an audience with the Regency Council. With some trepidation he was allowed into the keep.

Priest Kamaj met the man in the great hall, with much of the council and court around him, including Rhaego and Yavantey, who had followed General Barslek when he had been called in from the yard where they had been training. The priest studied the Dothraki before speaking, there was something off about him that Kamaj couldn't place. He seemed less arrogant the Dothraki envoys they had dealt with in the past. He was looking around the hall without the usual disdain and contempt and he had actually dismounted to speak with them.

"What message do you bring, and from who?"

The rider turned and focused on Kamaj, " I speak for no one other than myself. I have come to offer my services to Lord Rhaego of Hesh."

A stunned silence filled the hall, followed by confusion.

"What is this, some kind of trick?"

"No trick, I have come to offer my services to Lord Rhaego of Hesh."

Questions and shouts came out of the crowd "Who are you?" "Why..?" "Send him away!" Then a clear, young voice rang out, "Where's your braid?" All the voices stopped as all turned to look at Rhaego, and then back at the Dothraki.

The priest thought 'of course that is what was off. Every other time he had seen or spoken to a Dothraki the conversation had been accompanied by the soft tinkling of the silver bells in their braids. But this Dothraki had no braid or bells, his hair was cut short.

The Dothraki looked at the boy, "I cut it off after I was defeated."

Then looking around at the crowd," I am Arakho, once the Khal of Jaqhuo. But I was betrayed by my brother Mosko and by my vassal Villo, which lead to my defeat by Khal Kogo of Lajatto, who took all that I had."

"Arakho the Tyrant" came a voice from the crowd.

Arakho laughed, " Yes, I have been called this. But no more, I am disgraced and no Dothraki will follow me. But I still want my revenge. So I come to you. My brother slaughtered your army last winter and he will surely be back. Khal Kogo and Ko Villo will also look to raid south again once their squabble is over. Let me fight for you and we will kill our enemies together."

Lady Mothi spoke quietly from her place by the fire, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Arakho nodded," It is known."

cvr5Uxf.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
He's by no means a military genius but he is a blooded and well-trained warrior. May something truly good come from the hide of this cowardly depressed Screamer. Maybe we should call him a Sobber at this point...

EDIT: Also, maybe the people of Hesh could pay off the Dothraki and become prosperous until they can fight them off. Muscovy style.

Sometimes one has to know when to fold ... an important lesson for the young Lord.

A pretty bleak existence for the people of Hesh. Hopefully their enemies will keep themselves occupied for a prolonged period, but something tells me I shouldn't hold my breath...

This is a fascinating premise for a story.

Also interesting that you'll have a stallion working with a dragon to lead an army of "lambs", depending on how far you want to take the animal metaphors.

He's by no means a military genius but he is a blooded and well-trained warrior. May something truly good come from the hide of this cowardly depressed Screamer. Maybe we should call him a Sobber at this point...

EDIT: Also, maybe the people of Hesh could pay off the Dothraki and become prosperous until they can fight them off. Muscovy style.

If nothing else he is the best fighter in Rhaego's court and he knows the Dothraki. Hesh begins working toward making money in the next chapter.

Sometimes one has to know when to fold ... an important lesson for the young Lord.

The Lhazareen usually stuck more to the know when to walk away and know when to run.

A pretty bleak existence for the people of Hesh. Hopefully their enemies will keep themselves occupied for a prolonged period, but something tells me I shouldn't hold my breath...

They do get a lull, only beause they have been recently looted, so nothing to take.

This is a fascinating premise for a story.

Also interesting that you'll have a stallion working with a dragon to lead an army of "lambs", depending on how far you want to take the animal metaphors.

Thanks, glad you like it. You'll be happy with the next year or so, keeping with the animal theme.

8307 - The Year of the Dog
8307 - The Year of the Dog

The two boys crouched in the shadow of the water trough waiting for the their moment. They had finished their morning training with General Barsbek, where Rhaego had been practicing his sword play using Yavantey as his sparring partner. Rhaego had already picked up the fundamentals and had given Yavantey a few new bruises which the bastard boy had accepted good naturedly.

CYaFsQp.png

But with training over, Yavantey took the lead and suggested they sneak away before Priest Kamaj could assign them lessons to read for the afternoon. Rhaego loved to read, but Yavantey found it a trial and had convinced him that he could learn much more by going on an expedition outside the keep.

UUWc85R.png

The two boys had spent the last half hour making their way undetected across the courtyard toward the main gate, dashing from one bit of cover to the next when the coast was clear. They were waiting for Fat Haggo, the lone guard at the gate, to become distracted so they slip across the last stretch of open ground and slip outside.

After 10 minutes of fidgeting and poking each other, their patience was rewarded when Lord Barjik and Master Zaraq of Malkai came striding through the gate. The Master was the Justiciar of Meereen, here on a diplomatic mission for his liege, the Great Master Hizdahr IV. Rhaego didn't like him much, but had liked the gift of blood oranges, which had been delicious. Rhaego's opinion of him and his liege improved even more when he realized Master Zaraq had provided the much needed distraction.

4bR5v0f.png

Fat Haggo had run ahead of the two Lords to open the doors to the great hall. Rhaego and Yavantey wasted no time in sprinting out the unwatched gate.
The two boys raced down the hill, not stopping until they scrambled over a low stone wall separating a section of pasture from the road. They peeked back over the wall and laughed when they saw there was no pursuit. They were free for the day. They sank back down, sitting with their backs to the wall, panting and catching their breath.

"Where to?" asked Rhaego.

Yavantey thought for a minute, then smiled, " I said you would learn something, so today we learn to be builders. We'll go to the Trade Post."

Rhaego nodded, and the two hopped up and headed across the meadow towards the Cross Road.

At Rimmi Shiqethi's suggestion as Fonolatak, the Council had started construction of a Trade Post at the cross roads where the Essosi and Far East trade roads met. There was to be a great barn where the trade goods could be stored and the pack animals stabled, a tavern and inn for the traveling merchants to stay, stalls set up so the locals and travelers could display their wares, and a small garrison of constables to keep an eye on things and collect the taxes on the goods passing through Hesh, as well as stop any fights that broke out during the bartering in the market or during the drinking in the tavern. This trade post would be the center of the annual Wool Market, which would no longer be held in a muddy field with deals being made out of the back of wagons or in musty tents.

H6XR517.png

When the two boys reached the crossroads, they found the work had progressed since their last visit with Rimmi and Priest Kamaj. Carpenters' Guild had completed the tavern first, naturally, and were now working on the great barn. The masons had built high foundations using field stone, and now the carpenters were raising the walls and adding the roof. On their first visit they had been under the priest's watchful eye and hadn't been allowed to explore. Now unsupervised, they were soon everywhere, getting underfoot, climbing in the rafters, and asking endless questions of the men trying to work. The workers, of course recognized their young Lord with his silver hair, so they couldn't beat the two boys and send them home, no matter how annoying they got. Luckily, the foreman had a brilliant idea and put them to work. Soon they were happily bringing water to the men, fetching tools, and running errands around the job site.

Rhaego was filling some water skins at the well in the tavern yard when he heard a high pitched yelp from behind the building. He quickly looked around, but he was alone. Yavantey had already left with full two waterskins back to the barn. After another yelp, Rhaego headed around the building to investigate. There he found a man angrily beating on a dog with a heavy stick.

1gkOKwX.png

Rhaego recognized him, his name was Konel, he was from the keep and sometimes did work for Rhaego's mother.

"Stop that!"

Without turning around Konel growled, "The cur stole my lunch, I'll teach him better manners," and aimed another blow at the dog.

Normally, with Konel's clubfoot, the dog should have easily escaped, but somehow Konel had managed to corner it against the wall of the tavern. Rhaego scooped up a stick and then made a neat sword thrust as General Barsbek had taught him straight into Konel's buttocks, yelling again, "Stop that!"

PSFu3ZO.png

Konel howled with rage and pain as he spun around, the heavy stick just missing Rhaego's head as the boy sprang back. Konel raised the stick again and was about to crush Rhaego's skull when three things happened. First Konel faltered as recognition came into his eyes when he got his first good look at Rhaego, then the dog bit him in his good leg, causing him to howl again and fall on his ass, and finally shouts of laughter rang out from the other workers who had just come around the other corner of the building after hearing the commotion and witnessed Konel's humiliating defeat.

2DxneJQ.png

No one noticed as the dog raced away. Yavantey came forward and grabbed Rhaego's arm, "We need to head back or we'll be late for the feast for that Meereenese guy."

QngLRqY.png

DBL5WkP.png

The rest of the crew, after their laugh, returned to work. Konel was left on sitting on the ground, face red with embarrassment and wounded pride, and eyes burning with hatred as he watched the two boys leave.

zCfCmA2.png

Lord Barjik accompanied Master Zaraq back to Meereen and was granted an audience with Great Master Hizdahr. The meeting went well enough, the Great Master's opinion of Hesh rose from outright contempt to simple scorn bordering on indifference.

rhmPL4K.png

By the end of summer, the trade post was complete and open for business. Soon money began to come in from traders coming from Qarth and the Far East, heading west to Slavers Bay and beyond.

1nKy1t6.png

6FqaR5l.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
After all the depressing business of the previous updates this more light-hearted (if no less important) is wonderful relief.

Der Zorn des Lammes

Subscribed.

The Wrath of the Lambs.. I like it, could be an alternative title. Welcome aboard.

After all the depressing business of the previous updates this more light-hearted (if no less important) is wonderful relief.

Yes, it is nice to have a little breathing room.

8308 - The Year of the Ram
8308 - The Year of the Ram

Arakho the Tyrant, the disgraced Dothraki Khal, remained in Hesh. He was still not trusted and always watched, but General Barsbek, Lady Mothi and others found uses for him. The General had him break horses and teach some Hesh to ride and teach others archery. He also questioned him about strategy and tactics of the khalasars, trying to learn how to fight back against the Dothraki. Lady Mothi also questioned him, trying to glean as much information that she could about the Khals and clans on the Great Grass Sea, who were friends and who were rivals, looking for some advantage.

Arakho had the freedom of the castle, though his escort was always shadowing him, so he would always pop up in unexpected places, exploring and learning about life in the stone keep which was so alien to what he knew for most of his life.

One day he came upon Barsbek teaching Rhaego to fight with sword and shield. After watching for a few minutes he spoke up," You're teaching him wrong."

Barsbeck turned to him, " What do you mean ... wrong?"

"You are teaching him to fight like Unsullied.. stand in one place and trade blows with some one in front of you ... absorb blows and then strike back. This is good when you have lots of other Unsullied. The others protect your sides and you protect their sides and you only need to attack what is in front of you."

"But fighting alone ... this is no good. You need to fight like Dothraki. Speed and movement. Dothraki don't ride their horses up to each other and then stand in one place hitting each other, always there is movement."

"Dothraki way is strike fast and run away" Barsbek said

Arakho nodded, " True, sometimes big, fast movement is best, ride past and thrust with lance, or slash with arakh, or put arrow in eye and then gone out of reach before they can strike back."

He continued, "But other times you need small movements, but still fast. When in close, sway back or duck or side step so enemy misses, then when they're off balance, step in and don't miss."

Barsbeck considered for a moment and then said, "Show me." and tossed the Dothraki a training sword. Arakho snatched it out of the air and took a few test swings. His two shadows tensed and edged forward. This was the first weapon, other than a belt knife, the ex-Khal had been allowed since he rode into Hesh over a year ago. Arakho looked at them with a grin and then turned and saluted Barsbek.

The two men made a couple passes at each other. In the first, Barsbeck tried an over hand strike that Arakho deftly side stepped and then tapped Barsbek's wrist causing him to drop his practice sword. The second pass, Barsbeck tried a horizontal cut, which Arakho ducked under and stepped in an gave Barsbeck a push in the direction of his swing, causing him to stumble half a step. Before he recovered, Arakho was behind him and the dulled edge of Arakho's sword was against the back of his neck. Arakho said one word, " Dead."

Barsbek stepped back looking thoughtful, then looked at Rhaego, "Seems that you got yourself a new job, Dothraki."

Rhaego turned to look at Arakho with questions already spilling out, " What if you are facing someone just as fast as you?"

Arakho grinned again, "Then go back to big, fast movement, and put an arrow in his eye before he gets close."

bEPB9ek.png

WtIXIkq.png

As the year went on, life went on. The new trade post was doing well. The traveling merchants were pleasantly surprised to find such nice accommodations along their routes and stayed longer in Hesh making purchases and selling wares.

The older boys, who had been forced to take on a man's role in the Year of Mourning, had come into their own and the farms prospered and they started families.

With life comes death. Rakharo, the elder of the Shiqethi Clan, passed away in mid summer. The former Chief General died in his sleep at the age of 66. The family held a small private funeral, but all of Hesh mourned the passing of the Old Ram. Iggo became the Clan elder, the last Shiqethi of his generation. But he wasn't alone, his wife Ozlem was at his side and consoled him.

HLrGsvb.png

Lady Mothi received news that the Great Master Hizdahr IV of Meereen was preparing to launch a Slave Raid, fears grew that Hesh would be the target. However, after a few tense weeks, she learned that Meereenese were actually planning to attack Khal Kogo of Lajatto who was still fighting against his vassal, Ko Villo. Lord Barjik's diplomacy efforts appeared to have paid off.

dMY2hge.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nice to see the Tyrant making himself useful.

8309 - The Year of the Twin Lambs
8309 - The Year of the Twin Lambs

The Great Grass Sea was in chaos. Late in the past year, Khal Khazzo of Khazzo, the most powerful of the horselords, had been had been murdered on the orders of one of his weaker rivals, Khal Kollo the Butcher. Following his death, three Dothraki vied for leadership of the Khazzo Khalasar. The most powerful of these is Khal Bhaqo of Bhaqo who had gained a following with his successful wars against Khal Fono the Ill Ruler and Khal Marro of the Northern Steppe, both of whom had been weakened by their wars in Hesh. But the other two claimants had better ties to the previous Khal, Khal Emmatto was the late Khal Khazzo's father and the elder of the Khazzo clan. But Khal Arrisso, the brother of the late Khal Khazzo and Emmatto's own son, refused to bow to his father, splitting the Khazzo clan loyalties.

wj9Flkb.png

SxemEuT.png

fpYBE9B.png

4F53qb9.png

The three Khazzo Khals were not yet in open warfare, but were consolidating their strength and looking for ways to gain prestige and followers. Khals Bhaquo and Emmatto were trying to demonstrate their leadership by leading wars outside of Khazzo. Khal Bhaquo had launched a war against KoVillo of Villo, which with Ko Villo's death and end of his bid for independence, had turned into a war against Khal Kogo of Lajatto. Khal Emmatto had launched a raid against Lord Motho of Lhazosh. Khal Arrisso, by far the weakest of the contenders, had retreated north to husband his strength and wait for an opportunity to present itself.

The instigator of all this, Kollo the Butcher did not live long, dying under suspicious circumstances. No one knows who was responsible for his death, but his brother, Rhogoro, was quick to claim the title of Khal of Kollo.

The Lajatto Khalasar one of Khazzo's most powerful rivals was also having difficulties. The years long war with Ko Villo had sapped it's strength, as had the Meereenese Slave Raid, now the war with Khal Bhaquo of Khazzo would mark its downfall. Khal Kogo's death in the spring of 8309, left his 4-year old son as the leader of the Lajatto clan. The Khalasar splintered. The Fogo and Villo Clans split the territory, with the reduced Lajatto clan as vassals to the Fogo Khalasar. The Villo Khalasar, however, inherited the war with Khal Bhaquo and were in dire straits.

fb3lEtu.png

Meanwhile, Khal Fogo of Fogo, couldn't face the responsibility of leading a Khalasar and committed suicide soon after the Fogo Khalasar formed. His brother Kogo would step up and lead the new khalasar. To consolidate his power and get out of the way of the war between Villo and Khazzo, he lead his khalasar south in a raid on Lhazosh. But his attempt to avoid one Khazzo army lead him into direct conflict with another. In the hills of the Lhazosh, Khal Emmatto's and Khal Kogo' screamers clashed in a battle over the spoils of Lhazosh.

UifcTTQ.png

3TiPW7h.png

This clash left Khal Emmatto dead. Khazzo clan would raise up Emmatto's 10-year old grandson, Mollo, as the new Khal for their faction, rather than reuniting with the boy's uncle, Arrisso. But Emmatto's death also led to the rise of a final claimant for the Khazzo Khalasar, Khal Brabo of Brabo. Brabo was a brilliant strategist and respected warrior who was not going to follow a 10-year old boy. Instead he took control of the territory around Vaes Dothrak intent on gaining the support for his claim from the Dosh Khaleen in Vaes Dothrak.

IbTmFb0.png

SeNPAdW.png

NqS8yZa.png

All of this chaos to their north had not yet touched the people of Hesh, and they more or less ignored it. Their concern was directed to the west. Mosko's Khalasar, which had slaughtered the Hesh army three years ago had returned. They had appeared in Meereen a few months ago and had now sacked the Meereenese capitol and had taken the Great Master Hizdahr IV prisoner. The Great Master did not survive long as a prisoner and the Meereenese had a new Great Master, Miklaz zo Pahl.

GDvIGVV.png

DSxwDmf.png

The question was where would Mosko the Imperious, as he was now known, go next. This question was most asked of Arakho as the brother to Mosko. The answer he gave was not encouraging. Mosko had come from the south up through Astapor and Yunkai, so he would not be heading back that way. He wouldn't want to head north into the current chaos in Great Grass Sea, so it came down to whether he would turn west and follow the Demon Road toward the lands on the west shore of Slavers Bay or turn east toward the easier picking in Lhazar. Arakho suspected the answer would be east.

There was not much Hesh could do. Their levys had not recovered, at most they could muster 700 men. The treasury could only add another 1,100 mercenaries. All together less than half the strength of Mosko's Khalasar. All they could do was wait and see which way Mosko turned and weather the storm if it came.

The Shiqethi Clan did have some good news. In the spring, Ozlem, the wife of Iggo, delivered twin sons. The two boys were named Tabghac and Qotho. The 64-year old Iggo was as proud as could be. The Shiqethi Clan now increased to 8 living members. The births were a bit of surprise, as no one expected the old man to father a child at his age. Most expected either Jaqhuo or Rimmi to be the next ones to add to the family, but Jhaquo's and Rimmi's marriages were still years away, as their promised spouses were still quite young.

8lQ0cW6.png

hOAzI7n.png

However the court did host two marriages at the end of the year. Batas Nevak married a Lhazareen girl named Sareh from Atakosh. The former slave had escaped her captors and returned to Hesh. Batas admired her courage and resourcefulness, and did not hold her former circumstance against her. General Barsbek also took a wife named Cilta. Cilta was a Lhazareen girl who had been helping in his research of military strategy, she appeared to have a knack for it.

cVk9D3e.png

lA1tz1U.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
If only the Khals would fight each other some more.

8310 - The Year of the Maiden
8310 - The Year of the Maiden

The Lhazareen lands were under siege. To the south, King Maezon II of New Ghis had launched a Slave Raid into Lhazosh, joining Khal Mollo of Khazzo who already had Lhazosh under siege.

2fNNQP7.png

And as was feared, Mosko and his Khalasar turned east. Before winter was over, the keep of Hesh was under siege by close to 4,000 Dothraki. Too many to drive off. Priest Kamaj tried to buy off Mosko the Imperious, but he was refused.

udZ5xm3.png

The weakened defenses in Lhazosh didn't last a month. The capitol was sacked and Lord Motho and his sister Quiri Izwen were imprisoned by Khal Mollo, subject to horrible abuses that left the young girl blinded and disfigured.

ih4UtuX.png

Another Khalasar led by Khobbo arrived in Hesh in the spring. Khobbo's Khalasar was half the strength of Mosko's, so he turned his attention towards Atakosh. Luckily, Lord Barjik was able to get Khobbo to accept 50 gold in tribute and leave Atakosh and the rest of Hesh in peace.

gYWjjvA.png

jRpxeyR.png

The pillaging and siege of Hesh continued into late summer. Hesh had held out as long as it could, but in the end the Dothraki would find a way in.

Rhaego was headed for the loft in the barn to get a view of the battle on the wall. He had been furious when Barsbek had ordered him from the wall just as the next attack commenced.

"I'm not going to lose you to a stray arrow, now get back to the great hall with the others."

Rhaego had protested, " I want to fight, I'm a better fighter than most of soldiers in the garrison!"

Barsbeck shook his head," You won't be fighting our soldiers, you'll be fighting the Dothraki, and they will kill you. Now Get to the Hall!"

The boy fled, more fearful of Barsbek's wrath than the Dothraki at the gates.

Rhaego had not stayed in the hall long, he soon snuck out the back through the kitchens determined to see the fighting.

He was in the barn and climbing the ladder to the loft when the sounds of the battle changed. The thunder of the Dothraki horses still remained, but the taunts and jeers from the besiegers changed to crows of victory. The curses and occasional grunts of pain from the defenders, turned to screams of terror and death.

XaaFYHZ.png

After close to 3 months of siege, the Dothraki had finally breached the walls, the sack Hesh had begun.

Rhaego dropped back down the ladder and ran for the doors of the barn. Before he reached them, a Dothraki warrior appeared in the doorway, a naked arakh in his hand. Rhaego backpedalled, pulling his dagger from it sheath.

"Put that away, little lord." said the Dothraki.

Rhaego stopped, "Arakho?!" The Tyrant was wearing the painted vest and Dothraki leathers he had last worn three years ago when he had arrived in Hesh.

"Arakho! We must go defend the Hall, the Dothraki are over the wall."

"No, boy. You need to come with me. We need to make ourselves scarce. "

"What? No, we need to fight."

"The fight is over, Mosko is already in the keep. If your people are smart they'll surrender quickly, or they'll die. If they are lucky, they will be determined not strong or attractive enough to be slaves and not worthy of dying on a Dothraki blade. "

"We have to save them"

"Listen to me, boy! You and I, we won't be one of the lucky ones if we are taken. We Dothraki may mock the Lamb Men's god, but we are a superstitious people, and many have heard of this prophecy and see you as a threat. Mosko will gain much by being the one to kill you and end that threat. But you at least will die quickly, my death will take a long time. I'm a living reminder that Mosko abandoned his clan, he will need to break and degrade me before he kills me to prove that I was an unworthy Khal and justify his betrayal."

"You.. you coward. We must try."

Arakho sprang forward and slapped the dagger from Rhaego his hand and then seized him by the arm, "You need to come with me." he repeated with a growl.

Rhaego tired to break free from the iron grip as Arakho dragged him through the door.

Arakho turned away from the great hall and the sounds of fighting. But before he reached the corner of the barn a Dothraki warrior noticed them, and came striding over, blood still dripping from his weapon.

"Aha, you caught the Silver Lord, Mosko will reward you well." the warrior laughed. However, as he got closer, a look of confusion appeared on his face," Wait, I know you..."

The confusion turned to shock, "Traitor..."

But he was too late, Arakho was already moving. The Tyrant may be a coward, but he was a skilled warrior and desperate, before the other could react he lost the hand holding his weapon, and then his head. Arakho didn't stop moving, he spun around and scooped Rhaego up from the ground and sprinted around the corner of the barn.

For the next three days, the two of them were huddled in an abandoned root cellar that Arakho had been preparing as a refuge since the day the siege began. For three days, they listened to the laughter and cheers of Mosko's Khalasar and the wailing and sobbing of people of Hesh as the Dothraki had their way with their captives and selected those they would take as slaves.

On the fourth day, they woke from a fitful sleep to the smell of smoke. They crawled out of Arakho's hidey hole to find the barn and most of the outbuildings on fire and the Dothraki gone. A battered and bruised General Barsbek and Lady Mothi had organized the survivors put out the fires in the great hall, abandoning the other structures to the flames.

They all wept with joy to find their young Lord alive and heaped Arakho with praise for saving him. The regent, Priest Kamaj, stripped of his usual headdress and other symbols, made Arakho Rhaego's chief bodyguard. Rhaego was swept and hugged by Lady Mothi and his older brothers, Malakho and Jhaquo. Yavantey was there, covered in soot. Even Uncle Iggo look relieved to see that he was alive.

But other familiar faces were missing. Fat Haggo and most of the other soldiers of the garrison were dead. Many of the other servants and courtiers were just gone, enslaved by the Dothraki. Rhaego heart began to ache as he realized there was one face he hadn't seen among the living or the dead.

"Where is Rimmi?"

Faces grew pale and many couldn't look at him. Jhaquo looked enraged. But it was Iggo who finally spoke, "Mosko has taken your sister, claimed her as his concubine."

pZhZ2rF.png

• 1Like
Reactions: