• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Anastasius

Colonel
9 Badges
Jun 17, 2013
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings III
Long I have been searching for a movie which describes the era of this game,especially the earlier dates,and today I finally ran into it.
The movie might be a bit older 2009,so probably some if not most of you have already seen it or heard about it. [video=youtube;F70YnKyT2Mc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F70YnKyT2Mc[/video]

It starts at the death of Charlemagne and has a bit of everything in it. Might be based on fiction but still it gives us some insight on how it was like back then,in a movie. Which in mine opinion is cool.

It has a bit of everything in it,politics,the clergy,germanic paganism (how it's roots still survived among the commoner even after the conversion) viking raids even. It's not a blockbuster but I think you should see it if you are interested in this era.

I watched Kingdoms of Heaven the other day and find myself saying "God Wills it" for justification to my in game actions, I think I need help......

[video=youtube;Ez6wfJWVCeI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez6wfJWVCeI[/video]

Last edited:
Ignore the tone of horribly cheesy trailer; this is an amazing film.

[video=youtube;nHaYiA6u3Co]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHaYiA6u3Co[/video]

I quite like older films about the era like El Cid (Amazing film), Lion in the Winter or in the Name of the Rose, in terms of historical epics sadly holywood abandoned it long ago.

While the timeline of this show might be more suited for Europa Universalis,since it's set in the date a few years after the end of CK2 timeline,I still believe it is a worthy example of courtly politics of the age:

[video=youtube;ItLou92CsEM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItLou92CsEM[/video]

Sadly the show often tends to divert into hopeless romances and sex scenes,but other then that it might be an example how we are dealing with politics in our Ck2 games. This show actually inspired me to be even more cruel and deceitful in my play troughs.

The Borgias is a very nice show, even though it's more in the EU4 timeline. Still it is very well made, although the amount of sex scenes are sometimes beyond necessary numbers.

Borgia, the European series, is a thousand times better than The Borgias. I recommend everyone watch that, it is on Netflix and the best historical TV series I have ever seen :).

Borgia, the European series, is a thousand times better than The Borgias. I recommend everyone watch that, it is on Netflix and the best historical TV series I have ever seen :).

I can definitely agree, the European series, Borgia, is the best historical drama I've seen and the casting is beyond excellent.

Do not watch Kingdom of God if you like history. You'll suffer from a severe series of spasms like I did.

Do not watch Kingdom of God if you like history. You'll suffer from a severe series of spasms like I did.

I assume you're referring to Kingdom of Heaven here, and well history is my passion and yet I was able to watch it without a single spasm. Is it 100% accurate? No of course not, it is a MOVIE! Is it highly entertaining, somewhat accurate and shows at least a decent approximation of warfare in the time period? YES!

The only two movies I can mention from the top of my head that fits into the CKII timeframe is Bergman's Jungfrukällan (The Virgin Spring), and the Norwegian Veiviseren (Pathfinder). Neither has very much in common with CKII, as they're about common people rather than the nobility, but both movies do an excellent job with the sets, and I really felt immersed into the timeframe in which the movies take place.

Jungfrukällan is based on an 13th century Swedish ballad, and is about the rape and murder of a girl and her parents taking revenge on the killers. DON'T watch this movie if you want something action packed or something filled with drama or intrigue. It's mostly an exploration of religious beliefs, and various ethical questions raised by the characters. So yeah this is an old movie and while I quite liked it, it is nothing like Crusader Kings really.

Veiviseren is a bit more action packed, and is based on an old Sami legend. It's about a young boy whose entire family is murdered by some gang. He is captured and forced to show them the way across the mountain, to a large Sami settlement that they want to attack. This is a pretty nice movie, and the only Sami language movie I have ever seen. A lot more action packed than Jungfrukällan, but it's not like Crusader Kings or anything like that. Still, I would recommend it!

I found this list of movies on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lms#High_and_Late_Middle_Ages_.281000-1453.29), so there might be lots to check out here :)
Also, whenever I think CKII + television I immediately think of Blackadder season 1. Unfortunately, I just checked wikipedia, and it takes place in the late 15th century, so it's not really within the timeframe of the game :(

i watched kingdoms of heaven the other day and find myself saying "god wills it" for justification to my in game actions, i think i need help......

[video=youtube;ez6wfjwvcei]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez6wfjwvcei[/video]
Gooood wills iiiit GEEEED WELLS ET THEY TEEK ER JERRRBS

I assume you're referring to Kingdom of Heaven here, and well history is my passion and yet I was able to watch it without a single spasm. Is it 100% accurate? No of course not, it is a MOVIE! Is it highly entertaining, somewhat accurate and shows at least a decent approximation of warfare in the time period? YES!

I've only watched the Director's Cut- is it true that the film is much worse without it?

The directors cut is better for sure. I have not seen the original cut since theater so I don't remember specifically what got added anymore. I did enjoy the original cut but do remember being more impressed with the extended.

I seem to recall watching the original and not being impressed. But I watched the directors cut and do very much enjoy that version, very good(if not very accurate).