• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Monty Python and the holy grail

It has got a lot in common with the game
kings (well a king)
knights
sieges
rebellious peasants
relics
young wenches
a homosexual heir (which his father quickly plots to assassinate)

The White Queen and that CW show are both shows in this era. The White queen is very very accurate with claimant wars the entire show.

I greatly enjoyed The White Queen. Quality show with a great story set to The wars of The Roses. Finally I was able to get a grasp on that part of history. It inspired me to look up and read up on the characters for further info.

What is the difference between the two? I'm not sure which one I watched but my main problem was just how unbelievable his whole situation was.

It's nothing but a mere 50 minute difference! You know, just half the entire movie, no big deal.

... As if. But seriously, Director's Cut all the way.

As for the film's historical correctness, it's actually pretty damn good. The props and settings are wonderful and near-inscrutinable, and although the plot and its characters indeed are only partly based on history with a lot of artistic liberty taken here and there, it's not bad considering it's a movie. After all, movies don't exactly have as much wriggle room as tv shows to balance between both entertainment value and historicity.

It's nothing but a mere 50 minute difference! You know, just half the entire movie, no big deal.

... As if. But seriously, Director's Cut all the way.

As for the film's historical correctness, it's actually pretty damn good. The props and settings are wonderful and near-inscrutinable, and although the plot and its characters indeed are only partly based on history with a lot of artistic liberty taken here and there, it's not bad considering it's a movie. After all, movies don't exactly have as much wriggle room as tv shows to balance between both entertainment value and historicity.

It was indeed well done. The cinematics were great, everything from the cities to the battle scenes. Although it was hard for me to hear what they were saying at times, I'm not sure why movies sometimes do that with the sound. The real problem I had with it was,
In the movie he is a bastard son of a noble, but he doesn't know who his father is. As such he is raised by a blacksmith and his wife. He was raised a peasant, so he wouldn't know how to read. His military career as such would have been limited, but he does say he has fought in a war before. It is then believable that when his father instructs him in swordplay his father is obviously far superior. Yet after just one lesson, he has become a master swordsman. Even if he had trained all the way to Italy with the rest of the group, he should have been adequate at best. Along the way he also becomes a master tactician, which he should of had no experience with beforehand. The whole peasant to super soldier in a matter of a few weeks, just bothered me throughout the whole movie.

Long I have been searching for a movie which describes the era of this game,especially the earlier dates,and today I finally ran into it.
The movie might be a bit older 2009,so probably some if not most of you have already seen it or heard about it.

It starts at the death of Charlemagne and has a bit of everything in it. Might be based on fiction but still it gives us some insight on how it was like back then,in a movie. Which in mine opinion is cool.

It has a bit of everything in it,politics,the clergy,germanic paganism (how it's roots still survived among the commoner even after the conversion) viking raids even. It's not a blockbuster but I think you should see it if you are interested in this era.

That was a good movie. Thanks for the link.

I'll have to check out the other movies too.

In the movie he is a bastard son of a noble, but he doesn't know who his father is. As such he is raised by a blacksmith and his wife. He was raised a peasant, so he wouldn't know how to read. His military career as such would have been limited, but he does say he has fought in a war before. It is then believable that when his father instructs him in swordplay his father is obviously far superior. Yet after just one lesson, he has become a master swordsman. Even if he had trained all the way to Italy with the rest of the group, he should have been adequate at best. Along the way he also becomes a master tactician, which he should of had no experience with beforehand. The whole peasant to super soldier in a matter of a few weeks, just bothered me throughout the whole movie.
Well, maybe he is as talented as this guy. Another link, where the story is not as boring as on Wikipedia. :)

Monty Python and the holy grail

It has got a lot in common with the game
kings (well a king)
knights
sieges
rebellious peasants
relics
young wenches
a homosexual heir (which his father quickly plots to assassinate)

So true, CK II games usually have many 'silly' things happen just like this great movie. Only thing I´m missing are Holy Hand Grenades and murderous rabbits.

I assume you're referring to Kingdom of Heaven here, and well history is my passion and yet I was able to watch it without a single spasm. Is it 100% accurate? No of course not, it is a MOVIE! Is it highly entertaining, somewhat accurate and shows at least a decent approximation of warfare in the time period? YES!

I stopped watching it after Baelin? (Orlando Bloom) suddenly found water in the desert, as if the people who actually lived there for years were idiots. Fortunately, it's the only detail I remember from the movie.

Reactions:
Any of the King Lear adaptations - the old Russian one and Kurosawa's are my favorites. Those who want the game to support abdication should watch these. :) Watch gavelkind in all its chaotic glory!

It was indeed well done. The cinematics were great, everything from the cities to the battle scenes. Although it was hard for me to hear what they were saying at times, I'm not sure why movies sometimes do that with the sound. The real problem I had with it was,
The directors cut is one of my favorite films. To me it seems like most directors cuts just add extra pointless scenes that add to the running time. Not this one. ;) The studio even cut out an entire plot based around sybilla that I really liked.

Your criticism is valid. In the directors cut commentary they brought this criticism up and were unhappy that their explanations and back stories were cut out of the film. He did serve on horse in his war/wars so I would assume he had at least some training. I think the scene where he trained with his father was just his father sizing up his abilities. I think the only things his father taught him were using the high guard vs the low guard and to use both ends of the sword. Also it is said that he was an artificer and also served as an engineer in his war/wars. Supposedly he was capable of building "was machines that could throw the largest stones" That would have explained his literacy and familiarity with the siege engines during the siege of Jerusalem.