• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sailor

Armand was downcast, since they had been at anchor up in Port Kropotkin for a week now. The problem was not the ice, but a late delivery. The gentle summer warmth was actually the problem. Normally the carts would make is over the roads of logs that were crusted with ice, but the summer brought mud, which meant late deliveries.

The saddest part was that the little pigsty of a town had nothing apart form a few dingy saloons and acres of warehouses. Armand had searched for a general store that might have a few books, but it seemed that nobody on the frontier wanted to read. Oh, to be back in Europe, if ever the ship’s circuitous route led that way.

There was some news, with the latest advances of the army against the Union troops being discussed. The earlier great battles out in the west had rather moved the front on towards the east coast. One of the drinkers in the ‘Crazy Moose’ saloon claimed to have fought under Abramov when they reduced great armies of Union soldiers to nothing but a chain of prinsoners stretching for miles.

1881jandesmoinespocket5rp.jpg

However, from his relatively fresh face, it seemed more likely he had been talking to some of the soldiers who had reaped such success on the east coast, with their heroic defence of Washington against a stonr counter attack:

1881jandefendwashington6th.jpg

All that was something of ancient history, since the spring had brought further victories to the Russians. American troops generally took up defensive positions in the Appalachians, where the attackers were hard pressed to gain superiority.

1881jungeneraladvance2eg.jpg

An odd bit of news from mother Russia was that extensive revolts through the industrial heartland of the Ukraine were raging unchecked. Apparently some for of revolutionary council was in charge within the rebel held area, and claiming authority. Surely the Tsar could not let insurrection go unchecked for too long?

1881junrebelukraine5kx.jpg

Sailor

Well, I must say that the summer of 1882 has certainly been one or surprises! All sorts of different surprises, some of which will take me some time to get round to telling you about. I’m pleased to say that a little of the tarnish has been wiped from my face, and I’m feeling a lot more relaxed now that I’m back on dry land.

Crossing the Atlantic was awful, I must say. I’ve seen more soup coming out of people than going in over the last few weeks, and I must say it smells even worse on the way out than on the way in.

So, for the first item of news, the revolts in the Ukraine continue to gather pace, and for whatever reason the provincial governors have done little in the way of calling the army in. Perhaps some sort of deal has been made with the rebels? Secret sympathy from nationals in the administration? We shall see.

1882janukrainerevolt4pv.jpg

Apparently back in the American territories, the troops are now retreating from the latest borders agreed with the rabble of states that call themselves united. However, that is a world away from the place I am now.

1882marstillretreating1ys.jpg

Also, the fruits of peace are being reaped by some of our troops. A sailor was regaling Armand with tales of a friend of his who was lucky enough to be posted to be part of the Bahamian garrison. The Amerussian Empire certainly contains something more than just snowy wastes these days

1882marbahamaguards7oj.jpg

So, as I said, we have now made landfall at St Malo, a port of our allies the French. Armand is happy as a sandboy, in that there are a number of booksellers in town, and he spends most of his shore leave tucked away in between the dusty bookshelves. Now me, I have an interest in the wider world, so I was keen to know more when I heard that the Italians are finally making some advances in their long war against the Austrians.

1882maritalyfurtheradvance6vh.jpg

But, I tease you! I have saved the biggest news for last. I was astonished when I heard the news, it took a while to sink in.

As a little background to my amazement, I need to underline that from the very first formation of the united Germany, the Romanovs have been stauch supporters of that land. Russia eagerly signed an alliance to help the new state onto the world stage. Years back, in our early wars in America, Prussian troops supported the attacks on New York. Now, whilst the alliance has cooled a little over the years, I never expected that the worm would turn quite this far.

Having said that, this is a little in the past now, but when you are stuck at sea, there is now way of getting news. The sad fact is, that the Germans have declared war. Our defence was mainly composed of the alliance, and so their troops have already marched deep into Poland.

1882maygermanperfidy8lh.jpg

Now, this is a serious situation, since the bulk of the army remains a continent away, and it will take some time for the reserve to be properly called up. I’ll tell you more in a moment, but I believe that Armand is reaching for his purse right now, and I’d better be quiet.

Last edited:
Rey said:
Now you have an excuse to annex them :D

ANNEX?! This means that they would become a part of Russia, won't revolt and go on living. A better idea would be to let German partisans be destroyed by guard divisions with low-shock high-fire commanders.
Death to traitors!
KILL 'EM ALL!

P.S. Events for polish independence look too much like events for genocide. In my game, they led to half polish provinces having absolutely no polish inhabitants :confused:

Rey,

Too right, attack I must, however, I was quite happy having them as allies, it was rather dissapointing when they made the foolish decision to fight.

NikktheTrick,

thanks, quite right, annexing is perhaps not the right way to go, although in my case it is because I like the way my borders are. I amy have to compromise on that though.
I had all the VIP polish independence events some years back, and found that having 2 divisions of cavalry move from province to province was quite sufficient to keep them under control. I think still being a monarchy and having low plurality etc may have helped keep MIL under control, although frankly I STILL don't really understand that part of the game.

more coming up.

Sailor

Bending slightly under the low doorway, Armand picked his way carefully to the front of the shop. A wrong step, or not noticing one of the many changes in level, and he would blunder into a tottering pile of books. A crash and fall like that would perhaps raise enough noise to be heard by the shopkeeper, although if it happened in one of the further annexes, then it would go undetected.

Armand placed the books gently on the counter, brushing a little dust from the jacket of the top one as he did so.

“A fine choice M’sieur, and if I may venture, an adventurous one?”
The shopkeeper smiled at his own joke, since Armand’s pile included some racy stories of explorers in forgotten jungles, and battles against primitive natives.

“Just a little something to keep me entertained when we next set sail – it can be so dull at sea.”
“Dull perhaps, but safe, I would say – you are not likely to find a Prussian sneaking up on you in the Atlantic, now are you?”

“Yes, I suppose so – although tell me, surely the stories I have heard in port about the French army being totally unprepared aren’t as bad as they sound?”

1882mayweakfrdefence9gk.jpg

“Well, I can’t say, I only hear the same gossip as you do. I did hear that there are great Russian armies mustering in White Russia, or as I understand the locals term it, Belarusse.”
“About time, I’d say, and I hope that they bash some sense into the Boche!”

1882junedeployreserve6cx.jpg

“Sir, your accent, it is a little odd, could I venture that you were from the lowlands?”
“Why yes, I was born near Gent, under the Russian occupation. With no homeland to call my own, I set to sea.”

“You have not heard the latest proclamation, then?”
“Proclamation?”

“Yes, the new freedoms given to the lowlands, the establishment of the Duma, and so forth.”
“Duma? I thought there was already a Duma in Petersburg?”

“No, not in Petersburg, a new one, in Antwerp.”
“Antwerp? Really?”

1882junrusinfrflanders7xx.jpg

It took Armand some time to absorb this information. It was something he had been dreaming of for years, and now, in a flash, it had happened. Maybe the war had been influential? Who knew how the Russians worked?

In almost a state of shock, Armand thanked the shopkeeper, paid and left. His trembling fingers fumbled slightly as they returned the change to his wallet, leaving a few coins precariously balanced in the folds of his clothing.
Walking down the street in St Malo, his head whirling with ideas of returning home, he paid no attention to the clinking of a coin landing on the cobbles.

Last edited:
A new owner? Who shall it be?

Anonymous4401,

I haven't made a big deal of it, but if you look back carefully, you will see that the story is structured into chapters. The chapter titles are the titles of each post, and they pretty much change with each change in owenership of the coin.

Now, with this information, you can check the title of each chapter, and you may then be able to work out what is coming next. Maybe I will have put up another post before anybody else hazards a guess, maybe not...

Heretic

Hi there!

I'm a new reader (quite a bunch of pages in a row... ;) )

Don't see exactly: butcher, baker, soldier, sailor, ? :confused:

I may lack a reference, but I'll think about it though...

Oh, and I've just read that's a must do for some to humble France. I admit that we really deserve some humbling :D , but on the other hand, is that soooo delightful to kick someone who's already on the ground? :(

:rofl:

Nil-The-Frogg,

thanks for that - I think you must be missing the background, and also I had the rhyme slightly wrong..
it should be tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor..

which means that the next will be 'rich man'./.
it's an old children's counting rhyme, i think.

oh, great to have a new reader in there..

I think that my previous humbling of France directly after the annexion of parts of Belgium was enough for a moment.. right now if I help them against the Germans, then I will have a smaller threat from the big grey blob

Heretic

Never heard that rhyme before. Or perhaps I have, and have forgotten it.

What's that? A rich man caring to take a lost five kopecs coin? Bah, the more they have the more they want ;) . And as we say, rain always falls where the ground is already wet :cool: .

I'm eager for more! Wonder if that "Crown" could simply be the northern parts of our brave old little earth, spanning from Alaska to Kamtchaka (hem, I mean eastward, of course). In that case Scandinavia and Iceland would be targets, wouldn't they?

Oh, and I don't mind to raise your spirits from time to time: this would help my postcount to grow without spaming. I've calculated that I'll have a custom rank within approximately 9 years... :D

I don't know what the hell I could use as a custom rank, but I've some time to think about it... I'll think about a sig in the meanwile.

And finally, a little comment. I'm fond of your idea of the wandering kopec, and I had expected you to keep your tale as tight with it as possible. But I guess that's very hard to keep it clear, understandable and entertaining without widening the point of view a little... Oh my, what a headache litterature could be... :wacko:

I hesitate to start an AAR myself, the kind of "newbee disaster", if you see what I mean... :D . But, as you see, I should obviously avoid to write it in english :( . By the way, I don't read french AAR coz they're usually cluttered with syntax and grammatical faults and I quickly get tired of it. I guess many such things happen in english AAR too, but I don't notice them... ;) .

Ok,

I'm probably just crying out in th ewilderness here, but this is a note to say that I haven't entirely forgotten about this tale. Sadly, the pressure of other stuff has stopped me from writing enough. I still have all the pictures, and who know, I may manage to get back on the case one day.

Until then, you will simply have to wait for news of monetary exchange and indeed the epic campaigns over the himalays, the creation of Russian Punjabistan, and other such delights..

Heretic

ps
Nil-the-Frogg - you have the right idea about the northern wastes!

Heretic said:
I'm probably just crying out in th ewilderness here, but this is a note to say that I haven't entirely forgotten about this tale. Sadly, the pressure of other stuff has stopped me from writing enough. I still have all the pictures, and who know, I may manage to get back on the case one day.
Heretic, I know about pressures that keep one from writing!

It will never be too late, though, to inquire of a penny on its thoughts! I'll look forward to the opportunity.

Rensslaer

So do I, but I can't blame anyone to give up or delay something, I've done it so many times myself... :(

Just hope everything's fine about Heretic though...