A Comprehensive Overhaul of the Horn of Africa (Mechanics)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ajsieg

First Lieutenant
40 Badges
Sep 8, 2015
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
Well it's been a while :p! I am back to expand on my Comprehensive Horn of Africa project. Today I will be tackling mechanics, which is something that is very hard to do :eek:. However with a lot of help & support, I believe I have come up with some mechanics that can make an Ethiopian campaign or another nation there a very fun & dynamic experience. Having said that, I would like to thank the following people who’ve given me a lot of support, and some who have also given me feedback. I thank them wholeheartedly:

Credits:

SgtWolf00
Draíocht
Chairman Meow/JP
ML8991
Nikicaga
Amyzonis
Argendauss
Hope915
Redwallzyl
LeRoi6
AirikrStrife

I would also like to tag @neondt so that he doesn't miss this thread ;) & @DDRJake because I hope both will find this interesting :).

Disclaimer:
Before I get into all the nitty gritty, let me explain my goals in creating these mechanics.

When designing these mechanics, I took two principles in mind: Make it simple, and design it for DLC and non-DLC when necessary (i.e. make a Dharma government while also making a government when Dharma isn’t enabled). I also based the mechanics to be not far off of previous DLC in order to make things more reasonable/hopefully balanced. I will also explain my goals when designing my mechanics.

Also I would like to point out a few mistakes with my original map post:
  • Gosa is not the correct name, Bosa/Bosha/Garo is.
  • Hamasien is currently in the wrong place, it should be around the same place as Serae. As a result the provinces should be replaced with Mazaga.
  • Gilgil Beles is actually anachronistic for Eu4. It should be replaced with Debenawi.
  • Jeldez is anachronistic for Eu4 (as mentioned in post). Siddeh Dima should be its name.
  • Garba is misspelled, Gabra is the correct name.
Apologies for the mistakes :oops:. This is fixed in my upcoming East African Overhaul (EAO) project, but that will come later.

Finally, I am not a professional Historian or Video Game developer. These are my ideas/my interpretations. You guys may have a different view on something, so any feedback or additional suggestions would be awesome :D!

Sources:
Any source or book that was in my previous post (See Signature) can be considered used in making this post. However, I have acquired so much more info that I need to organize it. Apologies for this delay, the whole list will be available at a later date or at most when my EAO post rolls around. However, the majority of this has come from the old list, with newer sources being used for Ideas and Missions (will be later posts).

Without further ado, let’s get into it!

Note: I will be referring to tags and others parts of my map post which can be found in my signature. Any nations added in brackets next to governments mean what countries start with them in 1444.

Somalia:
New Governments:
Clan Society (Tribal): (Warsangali, Marehan, Ogaadeen, Eyle, Dankali, & Dhulbahante)
Outside of Ajuuraan, any sort of ‘government’ came from the clans. These clans, like the Marehan and the Warsangali, provided the basic unit of a ‘state’. However, most power from some clans was held by the ‘shir’, a clan assembly that elected the leaders to represent them to foreigners, as the result these sultans had little power, and the majority came from the ‘nobles’. Note that the Afar are included as the Afari had a similar type of government with their various tribes. Available to Somali-Tribal Nations

Bonuses:
Dynasty is locked (i.e. Marehan will always have a ‘Marehan’ dynasty member) and will always be of the primary culture.
No Stab upon death of the ruler (unless there is no heir).
Can build Saahos (See Below).
Can Influence Clan Migrations (See Below).

Culture Conversion Cost: -10%
Chance of Heir: +50%
Nobility Influence: +10.0%
Number of States: +2

Non-DLC Bonuses:
Chance of Heir: +50%
Culture Conversion Cost: -10%

Clan Monarchy (Monarchy): (Adal, Gadabuursi, Gasaaragude, Geledi, Majarteen, Harar, Aussa, & Mogadishu)
While some clans are controlled by the ‘shir’, clan monarchies in Eu4 will be considered a step above the Clan Society. This government has a higher level of authority from the Sultan and an actual dynasty that held the government. Available to Somali-Feudal Nations

Bonuses:
Dynasty is not locked, but rather the monarch and heirs will always be of the primary culture.
Can build Saahos.
Can Influence Clan Migrations.

Maximum Absolutism: +10.00
National Manpower Modifier: +15% OR Manpower from Primary Cultured Provinces: +10%
Construction Cost: -15% OR Saaho Cost: -15%

Non-DLC Bonuses:
National Manpower Modifier: +15%
Construction Cost: -15%

Clan Theocracy (Theocracy): (Ajuuraan, Hobyo/Hiraab, Darandoodle, El Amir, & Silcis)
This government represents the Ajuuraan, but in this case the Ajuuraan believed in their superiority, both militarily (xoog), and religiously (baraka). Instead of a EU4 theocracy, where the heir is chosen from a list of candidates, the Ajuuraan Theocracy was ruled by the ‘Gareen’. While it seems that the Gareen were a glorified dynasty, oral recounts (whether local or outside) call it an ‘Imamate’. Finally, the Ajuuraan exploited the Clans and other various ‘Estates’ as well the use of vassals to achieve its level of dominance. The goal of this will take advantage of the opening of Estates by unlocking new interactions rather than new estates. Available to all Somali-Theocracy Nations.

Bonuses:
Dynasty is locked (Ajuuraan would have the ‘Ajuran’ dynasty). If there is a historical dynasty, then if they die out they revert to the primary culture for the dynasty (If the Yacquubi dynasty in Hiraab dies out, then the ‘Hiraab’ dynasty takes over).
Ruler System similar to Monarchy (i.e. Heir’s are born rather than chosen)
Cannot have Royal Marriages
No Stab hit upon ruler death (unless there is no heir)
Can build Saahos (See Below)
Can Influence Clan Migrations

Maximum Absolutism: +30.00
Yearly Devotion: +1.00
Local Tax Modifier: +15% OR Taxes from Primary Cultured Provinces: +15%
Number of States: +3

New Estate Interactions:
Clergy:
Recruit Gibilcaad:
Gain 1 Stability and a bonus of +1.5 Yearly Devotion for 15 Years. Clergy loses 15 Loyalty and loses 10 Influence for 15 Years.

Merchants:
Force Investment of Saahos:
Merchants loses 10 Loyalty. Gain -20% Saaho Cost and +1 Base Production in a randomly owned province with a Saaho for 15 Years

Nobility:
Arrest Local Shaykhs:
Nobility loses 10 Loyalty and 10 Influence. Gain -1.00 Local Unrest and -15% Stability Cost for 10 Years.
(Unlocked in Age of Absolutism) Enforce Baraka: Nobility loses 15 Loyalty and 15 Influence. Gain Absolutism based on Nobility Influence (From 5 to 20). Can be used every 15 years.

Non-DLC Bonuses:
National Tax Modifier: +15%
Yearly Devotion: +1.00

New Mechanics:
Saaho:

Saahos are a type of well believed to have been built by the Ajuuraan. In Eu4, this will represent not only that, but as well as the fact that clans held power by controlling the wells in their area.

Bonuses:
Assign a Saaho to a stated area for 50 Admin (Shows in the state screen, like a Metropolitan). Will automatically be assigned to the highest developed province owned in that area. That province receives a bonus of -10% Development Cost and +10% Production Efficiency. Additionally, Saahos provide a number of events, both good and bad. While some events provide a bonus or malus to the area, if there’s a province in the area that is unowned by the Saaho owner, there could be an event giving you a claim on that province (or a core if you own the majority of the area). However other nations in the area can produce a Saaho. As a result, competition between the nations can escalate over an area. Finally, a Saaho can be plundered when the province is occupied for a period of time, providing gold to to the occupier and being destroyed. This means that the Saahos should be well guarded and fortified to prevent such things from happening.

Clan Migrations:
The areas that the clans live in today were only settled in around the 1800’s. Before that, many clans were either migrating to their modern place (like the Rahaweyn), or expanded into new areas like Eastern Kenya (Like the Ajuran, Marehan, and the Ogaden). Therefore this ‘mechanic’ seeks to showcase that.

Bonuses:
Available to the Eastern Cushitic/Somali Culture Group, the Clan Migrations are events that happen either peacefully or during a war. During peacetime, your primary culture may ‘migrate’ to a neighboring province (either in your country or a neighbor). The result may be rebels of your culture (separatists) or a change in the primary culture of that province. Clan Societies, Monarchies, & Theocracies can influence these migrations by selecting a neighboring area to focus on, and additionally can affect the rate of migration (see Clan Migrations). The exception to this is that Passive Clan Migrations can not happen in capitals or forts, while Aggressive Clan Migration like rebels can not happen in capitals (but can occupy it). However, since other Clan nations can migrate, the idea is that the region will look completely different in every playthrough. Depending on the Migration Level, migrations can result in cores/claims being granted or a new tag appearing, independent of the government (depending on the influence level). At the start every nation’s level is set to ‘Independent’, but can be switched.

Migration Levels (Once chosen, that level cannot be changed for 10 years):
Support: -25% Cost to Fabricate Claims, Migration Events have a greater chance of happening.
Independent (i.e. no government interaction): +1 Leader(s) without Upkeep
Restriction: +15% Manpower Recovery Speed, Migration Events have a lesser chance of happening.

New Disaster:
Ajuuraan - Collapse of the Clan System:
The reason of Ajuuraan’s collapse was a result combination of a few things: the growing disdain for Ajuuraan’s iron fist, and migrations of new clans that rejected Ajuuraan’s rule/shrinking the majority Hawiye (Ajuran) population. As a result, these combinations resulted in a large number of revolts, which eventually toppled the government. Thus this disaster represents an Ajuuraan that exploits the Estates too much and whose primary culture has become more of a minority than a majority. It will also tie in with the mechanics above, making sure these new features aren’t just there as fancy new toys.

Summary:
Requirements:
Must be in the Age of Absolutism or Revolution
Primary Culture must be <50% of total stated land
Stability < 1

Modifiers:
Has <30 Absolutism: +1.00
Primary Culture ≤50% of total stated land: +0.50
Primary Culture ≤25% of total stated land: +1.00
Primary Culture ≤10% of total stated land: +2.00
Stability ≤0: +0.50
Stability ≤-2: +1.00
War Exhaustion ≥5.00: +0.50

Can be stopped by one of the following:
Primary Culture must be >50% of total stated land
Stability ≥2

Effects:
Local Unrest: +8.00
Local Production Efficiency: -15%
Local Tax Modifier: -15%
Yearly Absolutism: +0.50

Summary:
In an effort to save time/text and make it more of a suggestion for Paradox, I will merely summarize the events that happened historically and some other ideas that could be incorporated.

Historical Events:
Revolt of the Darandoodle (Arguably the ‘start' of the disaster) under Osman Darandoodle.
Revolt of the Geledi & Wacdaan under the Silcis (Ajuuraan Vassal).
Revolt of the El Amir in Merca under ‘El Amir’ (Sources are unclear if El Amir was just the clan name or an actual person that founded them).
Revolt of the Hiraab (Since it will be a tag in game, this would technically be a reconquest war).

The results were that a great mixing of different clans pouring into Southern Somalia, and the Ajuuraan, as well as its other vassals, collapsing. The Hiraab Imamate controlled land through Mogadishu, the Geledi controlled the rest of Southern Somalia.

Suggested Events:
Unrest reduction in an area with a Saaho
Unrest increase in an area with a Saaho
A Clan Alliance forms against the government (Can only happen twice)
A specific culture reassures loyalty
A specific culture desires freedom
Tax Collectors murdered in a province.
Vassal gives aid
Vassal plotting against the government

The goal of the disaster is to have rebellions across the country. Since the government is effectively being attacked by the various groups, a player has to eliminate all the clans revolting. While potentially a few groups might wrestle a part of an area away, the player doing it correctly will survive intact. The AI however will certainly struggle and will potentially just collapse 9 times out of 10, though that is not a bad thing. Events should also provide some Absolutism, in order to help meet the requirements of ending it.

Can be stopped:
Primary Culture >50% of total stated land.
Stability ≥2
Absolutism ≥50
No rebels or occupied provinces.

Ethiopia:
New Governments:
Negusa Nagast (Monarchy): (Ethiopia)
The idea of a Ethiopian Emperorship wasn’t fully attained in 1444. Even though Zar’a Yaqob was focused on consolidating the power of the Emperorship in matters of religion and administration, Ethiopia would struggle with these matters that would take a couple centuries to resolve. These being the religious disunity, an itinerant capital (which caused more problems than it solved), and a reliance on vassals to maintain order. Areas close to the capital would be firmly under the Solomonic Thumb, while father away, there was a higher level of autonomy. Thus, the Negusa Nagast is a government still consolidating into a true empire.

Bonuses:
Enables Itinerant Capital (See Below).
Able to recruit Cawa from areas and from vassals (See Below).
Diplomatic Reputation: +2.00
Income from Vassals: +25%
Capital Move Cost: -75%

Non-DLC Bonuses:
Diplomatic Reputation: +2.00
Income from Vassals: +25%

Solomonic Empire (Monarchy): (Ethiopia)
The Solomonic Empire represents Ethiopia after Fasiladas, when the Oromo Migrations ceased and Ethiopia became more consolidated. It was here that the religious arguments had long stopped and the government was beginning to exert its dominance, up until the Zemene Mesafint which saw the Empire dissolves into many vassals once again. While religious unity hasn’t stopped, it is not a problem as it once was.

Bonuses:
May recruit Cawa from areas and from Vassals
+20.00 Max Absolutism
+2.00 Tolerance of the True Faith
+1 Max Accepted Cultures
+3 Max Number of States

Non-DLC Bonuses:
+2.00 Tolerance of the True Faith
+1 Max Accepted Cultures

New Mechanics:
Itinerant Capital:

Until Fasiladas, the capital of Ethiopia was never static (with the exception of Debre Berhan). It was constantly moving to be closer to a war or to establish some sort of administration in newly conquered or rebellious areas. In Eu4, this will mean that Ethiopia should be easily able to move their capital with relative ease (as with the -75% Move Capital Cost in the Negusa Nagast government). The benefits to this is that the capital will help lower unrest and autonomy in some areas, at the potential cost of making a capital more vulnerable.

Bonuses:
The area that the capital is in gets -2.00 Local Unrest & -0.10 Local Autonomy. When the capital is moved to another area, the bonus is applied to the new area and the former capital province gets +25.00% Autonomy. Changing capitals grants an immediate -20.00% Autonomy in the area’s provinces (capital is automatically set to 0, as usual). Once moved, the capital cannot be moved for 5 years, so the capital must be placed in strategic places (unlike some of the Ethiopian Emperors who didn’t :confused:).

Cawa (Regiment):
The Cawa, or Chawa, were a military unit occasionally created by the Emperor and were assigned to a specific province. For example. The King of Hadiya’s rebellion was quashed by the Cawa of Damot. Cawa were also present in Hadiya, Dawaro, Gojjam, etc. While other Cawa existed in places that were technically independent/in rebellion in 1444 (Salamt in Semien), the idea of the Cawa will tie in the use of vassals by Ethiopia and its ability to be either assigned to a province or to be used offensively.

Bonuses:
May recruit Cawa from stated areas (Similar to Banners), however it will be a lower amount compared to Banners. Additionally, Cawa can be recruited from Vassals, giving +15% Liberty Desire and giving Cawa equals to 10% of the Vassal’s force limit (Minimum of 1). Additionally, the Cawa can globally change their military style. They automatically start with the ‘Defensive’ style. Styles are locked for 1 year and can not be changed until a year has passed. Annexing vassals of which you recruited Cawa from will be removed.

Offensive:
+5% Siege Ability
Discipline: +5%
Reinforcement Cost: +75%

Defensive:
+25% Rebel Suppression Efficiency
+10% Morale of Armies
-15% Movement Speed

New Disaster:
Ethiopia - Zemene Mesafint:
From the mid-1700’s, Ethiopia reflectively lost all central authority and dissolved into many state-like vassals. This fracturing would last well past Eu4’s timeframe until Tewodros II restored order. This disaster in Eu4 will mainly be built for the AI, as it is designed to be particularly nasty.

Summary:
Requirements:
Must be in the Age of Absolutism or Revolution
Legitimacy ≤50
Stability <1

Modifiers:
Has <30 Absolutism: +1.00
Has over 3 Vassals: +1.00
Diplomatic Reputation >0.00: +0.50
Legitimacy ≤50: +0.50
Legitimacy ≤25: +1.00
Legitimacy ≤10: +2.00
Is in a Queen Regency or a Regency Council: +2.50

Can be stopped by one of the following:
Not under a Regency
Stability ≥2

Effects:
Diplomatic Annexation Cost: +100%
Diplomatic Reputation: -2.00
Yearly Absolutism: -1.00

Similar to the previous disaster, I’ll give a summary of events in order to make things simpler.

Historical Events:
Feud between the Amhara & Oromo parts of the Solomonid Family
Feud between the Oromo-Solomonid Family and the mediator.
Emperor reliant on Oromo Nobles
An Oromo Noble dethroned and executed the Emperor.
New Emperor throned and then executed.
New Emperor throned, but the noble was defeated and a new Emperor was installed.
Those nobles and Emperor were defeated.
Cycle continues for a long time.
Shewa starts consolidating power.
Ethiopia becomes controlled by the governors of Begemder (as ‘regents’)
Rest of Ethiopia become more autonomous while the Wara Sheh (or the Yejju Dynasty) holds power.
Ras Gugsa takes power

[End of Eu4’s timeframe]

Suggested Events:
Area of Ethiopia breaks into Vassalage and a family become the Regent (Starting Event)
Vassal fights for Regency
Regents overthrown
Emperor disposed (Can only happened during the first year of an Emperor’s reign)
[Player] asserts control
Nobles support dismantling the regency.
Regency resists Emperor’s rise of power.
Nobles revolt over power struggle

Basically the Monarchy should have very little power, and whenever the Emperor makes a power grab, he either gets disposed or nobles revolt to stop it. Meanwhile vassals will pop out and some will try to fight for the ‘Regency’ while some will potentially claim independence.

Can be stopped by:
Legitimacy at 100.
Ruler has ruled for more than 2 years.
Stability at 2 or higher.
No rebels or occupied provinces.

Oromia:
New Governments:
Gadaa Council (Republic): (Borana, Barentu, Guji, Gedeo, Gabra, Orma)
The basic form of government for the Oromo. Founded in the 1450’s by Gadayoo Galgalo, this government based itself on 8 year ‘cycles’ instead of elections and promoted aspects of democracy. These cycles revolved around the five gogeessa, think of them as societal clans. Every person is assigned to one at birth, but can change their gogeessa freely by their own reason. These five gogeessa rotate the title of Gadaa every 8 years. During their 8 years the gogeessa supplies people and resources for the government, however every gogeessa can participate in the Gada government by the institution of Garba. Each gogeessa works in tandem with each other to promote the democratic system. Finally, the Gadaa creates age groups for a person’s lifetime. While it will not be fully discussed, each age-grade was not set in stone but was merely an idea for what a person would do at a specific age.

Bonuses:
Max Absolutism: -30.00
Yearly Republican Tradition: +1.00
Advisor Cost: -15%
Must be in the Oromic Culture Group

To represent some sort of ‘Republicanism’ in Eu4, elections will represent the candidates a gogeessa will choose for the Gadaa. While the Administrative, Diplomatic, or Militaristic candidates will remain, they will be renamed to Yuuba (Age of counseling [near retirement]), Gada (Age of political duty), and Kuusa (Age of military service) respectively, and stats will be slightly buffed (5/2/2, 2/5/2, and 2/2/5 respectively). If a ruler dies, a new ruler from the same gogeessa will be chosen and will finish the remaining term. Reelection is not allowed.

This government reform will be locked. However, there is a way to change to an unique monarchy (See Mootummaa).

Non-DLC Bonuses:
Yearly Republican Tradition: +1.00
Advisor Cost: -15%

Mootummaa (Monarchy):
The concept of an Oromo monarchy. Instead of a traditional Oromo democracy, power is held by a monarch. Ironically, it shares similar aspects of the Gada system in that the monarch is supported by elders and titles are the same. However, instead of a democratic system of gogeessas supporting each other, it’s a monarchy of one man governing all. This system was first developed after the Oromo migration into Ethiopia, where the migrants formed new clans under a leader they chose. At a certain point the Oromic Homelands was too far for effective Administration, and these clans became basically independent. The best example would be Jimma, where a clan broke off from the Borana and consolidated at Jimma, becoming a monarchy. This monarchy would eventually restructure the economy and convert to Islam, due to what we’ve mentioned above.

Bonuses:
Max Absolutism: +25.00
National Tax Modifier: +10%
Morale of Armies: +5%
Must be in the Oromic Group

Mootummaa is available after Oromoization is ended by an event, where you can fracture off and form a new state in Ethiopia. Similar to the distant culture event, Borana and Barentu cultured provinces can flip to Jimma and Yejju culture respectively during Oromoization.

Non-DLC Bonuses:
National Tax Modifier: +10%
Morale of Armies: +5%

New Mechanics:
Oromoization:

Representing the Great Oromo Migrations, Oromoization was the process of provinces collapsing from the Oromo, and them becoming Oromo homelands themselves after centuries of indigenous rule. This mechanic will be a version of the Centers of Reformation, with different requirements and spread effects. This is intended to replace the Oromo chain events, thus providing a more dynamic and fun experience.

Requirements:
Oromoization takes place in the Age of Reformation, and can happen when one of the following requirements are made:
  • An Oromo cultured and Waaq religion province with 20 or more development borders a non-Oromo and non-Waaq province that is not owned by a Oromo-cultured country (Spawns in that Province).

• An Oromo cultured nation with Waaq as the primary religion owns a non-Oromo culture and non-Waaq province (Spawns in that Province).

• An Oromo cultured nation with Waaq as the primary religion is at war with a non-Oromo cultured nation that is considered heathen to the Waaq religion (Spawns at Capital).

• An Oromo cultured nation with Waaq as the primary religion owns more than 30 provinces (Spawns at Capital).
As you can see, these four methods makes it easy for the player and the AI to activate Oromoization, with varied spawn points. Please note that the Waaq religion is required to activate Oromoization at all. Once activated, Oromoization will immediately spawn in a province specific to one of the four triggers (see above). If the province is not of the owner’s primary culture or of Waaq religion, then it is automatically converted.

Mechanics:
Similar to the Reformation, a ‘Center of Oromoization’ will spawn in the province mentioned above, and will spread to the neighboring provinces/areas. Once activated other Oromo nations can participate either by activating the trigger again (Thus spawning a new Center of Oromoization) or by aiding the expansion like using the Dulaguto CB (See Dulaguto). Up to 3 centers can be spawned.

The spread rate is that one province will be converted in 3 years (yes, 3 years). However that is a baseline. The factors that go to it are as follows:

Negative Resistance:
Devastation: -0% - -40% (At 100%)
War Exhaustion: -0% - -50% (At 20 War Exhaustion)
Has Flat Terrain: -5%
Is at War: -5%
Does not have a Fort: -5%
Province Sacked (See Dulaguto): -35%
Near Center of Oromoization (From 0 to 5 Oromic cultured provinces away): -10% to -5%

Positive Resistance:
Has a Fort: +15%
Has Rough Terrain: +5%
Has Prosperity: +10%
Modifier from Ideas: +10% - +15%
Away from Center of Reformation (From 10 to 25+ Oromic cultured provinces away): +10% to +25%
Not Bordering an Oromo-cultured nation: +10%

While Oromoization can happen peacefully, the fastest way to flip provinces is by war. Oromoization can not affect Oromo-cultured nations. Once the Age of Absolutism hits, Oromoization will stop, including all bonuses (See Waaq).

Additionally, distant provinces to the Oromic mainland (around 5 provinces) can start flipping to a new culture (Jimma for the Borana, Yejju for the Barentu, and Warday for the Orma). After Oromoization ends, these new cultures will start trying to break off (which you can do by becoming that tag) by event.

New Religion:
Waaq:
Waaqeffannaa is the monotheistic Oromo faith system based on the god Waaq. Waaq was said to be born from the water, that place being called Waallaabuu. Waaqa Tokkicha (the one God) created the world and everything else. One symbol of the Oromo and Waaq is the Odaa, or the Sycamore Tree. This tree was important to Oromo mythology and was important to the Oromo themselves during the Oromo Migrations. Another tree that was important was the Acacia Tree (or ‘Garbii’). Other symbols included cows and water, as that is where Waaq was born. What sets this apart from the Fetishist religion was teh monotheism, rather than the polytheism. Additionally, this quality allowed many Waaq-followers to convert very easily to Christians and Muslims, while keeping Waaq as the name of the almighty God. Even today, Ethiopian Christians & Muslims celebrate Irreechaa, the Oromo Thanksgiving to Waaq. Waaq was also tied to the Gadaa system, where Waaq would play a part in the rituals and government’s decisions. The effect the Oromo had on East Africa can really only be shown with a new religion out of Fetishist. It should be noted that Waaq had many definitions in the Horn of Africa, but I am using it as the Oromo interpretation of it. To be clear, I do know that there is a Waaq cult under the Fethishist religion. My suggestion is to take that out and make Waaq its own religion =).

Bonuses:
Local Unrest: -1.00
Tolerance of Heathens: +2.00
Enables Oromoization Bonuses
Heretics: Fetishist and other Pagan Religions
Heathens: Everything Else.

Oromoization Bonuses:
When Oromoization begins, each province that is converted to your culture and Waaq religion gets counted. These unlocks bonuses then can be activated and changed after one year. The bonuses are shown below.
# of Provinces Expanded:

1: Gabbaro: Infantry Combat Ability: +10%
With our expansion into neighboring provinces, we have recently gained loads of men able to fight for our cause. Forcing these new people into military service will provide us not only more men, but can provide us with useful information about our neighbors and improve our tactics against them.

5: Mobilize the Daggal-Saaqii: Monthly War Exhaustion: -0.03
Since we want to expand our population, our new conquests have open up new lands for us to settle. Encouraging a group of our people to settle these new lands, we can effectively restore these provinces while at the same time keep expanding our realm.

10: Guddifacha: Core Creation Cost: -10%
Under the Gadaa system, our society lives in a political world where all citizens must participate. However, what about these newly assimilated people? It is not fair that they should participate in their new government? We must adopt these new people into our families, so they too can participate in our society.

20: Organize the Qeerroo: Morale of Armies: +10%, Allows Second Bonus
As we’re recruiting men into our ranks, it has come to our attention that many are unmarried. This poses the question of what are they fighting for when there is nothing for them to return to? Let us organize these men into families where they all have jobs at their camp and work together. That way, these men will have a family to return to after battle and can fight longer.

25: Enables Cultural Bonus:
Borana: Create the Yahabata: Cavalry Combat Ability: +15%
Our cavalry are exceptional in the battlefield. They deliver a killing blow to our enemies and help us advance into enemy territory. However, we have also come to realize that the gabbaro are great at riding horses. This gives us the opportunity to bolster our cavalry with these new recruits, making them more dangerous than previously known.

Barentu: Recruit the Dhalatta: Discipline: +5%
While the gabbaro provide us with more men, sometimes we need more than what our population can afford. In these times, we turn to those that we have adopted into our society. Recruiting these men into our military will give the soldiers a better reason to defend our new homeland.

Orma: Assimilate the Boda: Production Efficiency: +15%
While our dominance over the new lands are clear, there still lie minorities in these lands. This has always been true since our original migration to our homeland. Even though we exclude them from society, why not exploit them for commercial use? Let us integrate them into society so they can work the jobs that us higher classes don’t want to do.

Non-DLC Bonuses:
Local Unrest: -1.00
Tolerance of Heretics: +2.00
Heretics: Fetishist and other Pagan Religions
Heathens: Everything Else.

New CB:
Dulaguto:
A dulaguto is a raid that took place during the early stages of the Oromo Migrations. Either one can be used, as they provide the same goal/bonus.

Bonuses:
Available during Oromoization.
‘Raid our neighboring lands to provide a gateway for our settlers.’
150% Prestige, 100% Aggressive Expansion, 100% Cost
War Reparations
Pillage Land (See Below)
Take Gold
Annul Treaties
Etc… (Cannot take land)

Pillage Land:
For 100% warscore, all occupied provinces gain 25 Devastation and gain 10 Prestige. Provinces affected also get ‘Province Sacked’ for 5 Years, giving a -35% Resistance to Oromoization,

The goal of this CB is to help facilitate Oromoization. Events relating to Oromoization can relate to acquiring the land. However that will be covered in a different post, as this is already long enough.

Conclusion:
So you’ve made it this far, congrats :D! I really hope you found this interesting and helpful. While I know these ideas may not be everyone’s cup of tea or they might not be fully balanced, I hope I shined a light on this area and hopefully more representation of the area can occur. Look out for my other posts in the future and I wish you all a good day!

-Ajsieg :)

Last edited:
  • 3Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
Waaq:
Waaqeffannaa is the monotheistic Oromo faith system based on the god Waaq... The effect the Oromo had on East Africa can really only be shown with a new religion out of Fetishist. It should be noted that Waaq had many definitions in the Horn of Africa, but I am using it as the Oromo interpretation of it.

Interestingly enough, this is already in the game as a fetishist cult, that gives -2 National unrest. The +2 tolerance of heretics that is suggested for the Waaq religion is almost useless as most nations are either Coptic or Sunni. I'm not too convinced of the necessity for a separate Waaq religion, and the umbrella fetishist religion seems to be a catch-all for all traditional religions in Africa. I don't think that monotheism necessarily means that a religion should be in this game. Many Native Americans were also monotheistic and believed in the Great Spirit, yet their religions are represented in the catch-all Totemist religion.

Interestingly enough, this is already in the game as a fetishist cult, that gives -2 National unrest. The +2 tolerance of heretics that is suggested for the Waaq religion is almost useless as most nations are either Coptic or Sunni. I'm not too convinced of the necessity for a separate Waaq religion, and the umbrella fetishist religion seems to be a catch-all for all traditional religions in Africa. I don't think that monotheism necessarily means that a religion should be in this game. Many Native Americans were also monotheistic and believed in the Great Spirit, yet their religions are represented in the catch-all Totemist religion.
Yes I did know Waaq was a fetishist cult. I probably should’ve mentioned that :p.

There are 2 reasons why I separated them:
1. To allow Oromoization/a way to redo the Oromo migrations.
2. To separate the Oromo from Southern Ethiopia, since both had major differences in religious beliefs/they never really interacted beyond trade and the migrations (prevents weird alliances that happen when I’ve been observing games on the old map.
2.5: It felt weird having Waaq as a cult when it was kind of a separate entity.

While yes the argument can be made for the Totemists as well, having a bunch of regional variants there wouldn’t work yes, but in this case Waaq allows some things to happen/be a little more realism while potentially keeping game balanced/fun.

It’s probably better to do +2 Tolerance of Heathens. Both make sense really. Hope this gives you an idea why I did it :).

Well I hoping this would have a longer conversation :p. Anyways I will be updating the Waaq section to change one of the bonuses to Tolerance of Heathens and to add clarification. Would love to hear opinions on the Somalia/Ethiopia mechanics :)!

Some of my thoughts:

Somali Clan governments:

Is it possible to rework these to be more universal?
If they can apply to more countries, they would be more useful to the game. In general more reforms for tribes would be great!

Or merge them together?
Making three governments for somalis might be a bit redundant, they all have the same mechanics, and dynasty stuff is similar and something that doesn't need to be exactly correct as there are many many countries in the world that hasn't exact heir system as they had in reality.

I also find 30% absolutism for clan theocracy questionable.

Sahoo is an interesting idea, however can you build sahoos in europe if you conquer europe as ajuuran? What are the scope of the idea outside the somali deserts.

Ethiopian government:

I liek the idea a lot! Thought at this point EUIV is still not on the point there this would have maximum effect. I hope pdx will focus a lot in the future on the process of centralisation/decentralisation in the game, as off now I feel mechanics in the game is too all over the place and most of the game is still sort of straightforward conquest and add new provinces to your land.

Have you considered having special government reforms to ethiopia instead of two separate government types?

For the Oromo:

It would be helpful if you could relate these new governments into the Dharma government system (is it a republic, kingdom, tribal)

Would it be possible to have Oromoization mechanic without unique religion? As an option

Could you better explain the creation of these new Oromo kingdoms? Does a splinter state appear in a foreign country that has this government? can you reform on your own?

Some of my thoughts:

Somali Clan governments:

Is it possible to rework these to be more universal?
If they can apply to more countries, they would be more useful to the game. In general more reforms for tribes would be great!

Or merge them together?
Making three governments for somalis might be a bit redundant, they all have the same mechanics, and dynasty stuff is similar and something that doesn't need to be exactly correct as there are many many countries in the world that hasn't exact heir system as they had in reality.

I also find 30% absolutism for clan theocracy questionable.

Sahoo is an interesting idea, however can you build sahoos in europe if you conquer europe as ajuuran? What are the scope of the idea outside the somali deserts.

You might have to be more specific. Are you talking about the Clan Migrations or the governments themselves?

The Somalis all functioned at a similar level (in terms of migrations and Saahos and all that). However as mentioned, some tribes had little authority while others had better success. I'd argue that the Afar and the Somali tribes were a lot less centralized than others like Adal, and the Ajuran were even more centralized for other reasons. The goal was to simulate the various political levels at the time (even though the history is shaky, there's a clear distinction between the various groups).

In terms of balancing, there is probably a few errors/corrections that should be made (Balancing is always hard to do) :p. I tried not to do anything out of what Eu4 already has done in terms of numbers, but yes I have quarreled with how much absolutism should they get. However what bonuses they should get is the main point :)

EDIT: I forgot about the Saahos :eek:. I thought about restricting them to terrain or region/continent. However I feel like it is too restricting (and you can only make them in states anyways, so restricting them further seems a little much :p). I mean if you conquer a state in Ethiopia where some parts are actual lush valleys, the Saaho just represents the control of water in that case. I know many people don't like the idea of mechanics restricted to a part of the globe, so I decided that allowing the Saaho to be put anywhere helped mitigate that. Though yes, restricting to certain terrains may be the wiser idea, but that's what balancing/playtesting is for :D.

Ethiopian government:

I like the idea a lot! Thought at this point EUIV is still not on the point there this would have maximum effect. I hope pdx will focus a lot in the future on the process of centralisation/decentralisation in the game, as off now I feel mechanics in the game is too all over the place and most of the game is still sort of straightforward conquest and add new provinces to your land.

Have you considered having special government reforms to ethiopia instead of two separate government types?

I have thought about an opposite of Absolutism (one that encourage vassals over blobbing). Came up with it a few days before this post, but this took months of refining & ideas so I decided not to put it in.

Government Reforms was always something I thought about, but it would've taken too much time (trust me when I say I took a lot of time on this). There could definitely be some government reforms for Ethiopia. I'll think about them :D.

For the Oromo:

It would be helpful if you could relate these new governments into the Dharma government system (is it a republic, kingdom, tribal)

Would it be possible to have Oromoization mechanic without unique religion? As an option

Could you better explain the creation of these new Oromo kingdoms? Does a splinter state appear in a foreign country that has this government? can you reform on your own?

I thought I mentioned which one was which :oops:. To make sure:
The Gadaa System is a Republic reform.
Mootummaa is a monarchy type.

Well I based Oromoization as a system similar to the Reformation. Separating the two will probably have to develop a different system (Probably with Events and such but it might be too clunky).

The idea is that as the migrations expand the leaders developed a unique identity. Think of it as the event that give Jimma a bunch of cores. However there should be a way for the player to splinter off and take over the tag (under the Mootummaa Monarchy).

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I know it's a little outside your geographic scope, but I would love to hear some ideas for Sudan/Nubia.
I do have some ideas, but nothing that is set in stone or will be in written form anytime soon. Though I haven't considered Makuria or Alodia in terms of stuff yet.

I do have some ideas, but nothing that is set in stone or will be in written form anytime soon. Though I haven't considered Makuria or Alodia in terms of stuff yet.

Well there are a few basic tweaks, such as Aswan should be Nubian culture (and arguably Ifat aswell). This can be seen today as Nobiin and Kenzi are still spoken in the areas around the man-made Lake Nasser reservoir around the First Cataract of the Nile. I would also like to see a better implementation of the Islamicized states of Darfur, Shilluk and Funj. The First two not existing in-game at all and the third magically popping out of uncolonized provinces.

Ethiopia as it works now, gets off far too easily, and does not reflect the historic problems of Negusa Nagast. The fact that you can simply plow through Somalia with barely any revolts as Ethiopia thanks to the benefits of the Empire level cultural union bonuses is incredibly inaccurate.

Well there are a few basic tweaks, such as Aswan should be Nubian culture (and arguably Ifat aswell). This can be seen today as Nobiin and Kenzi are still spoken in the areas around the man-made Lake Nasser reservoir around the First Cataract of the Nile. I would also like to see a better implementation of the Islamicized states of Darfur, Shilluk and Funj. The First two not existing in-game at all and the third magically popping out of uncolonized provinces.

Ethiopia as it works now, gets off far too easily, and does not reflect the historic problems of Negusa Nagast. The fact that you can simply plow through Somalia with barely any revolts as Ethiopia thanks to the benefits of the Empire level cultural union bonuses is incredibly inaccurate.

I'm still taking a look into it, so don't worry :).
However since we need to go back to this thread's topic, this post is meant to solve the last problem you were mentioning. :D

Of course! Sorry for going off topic, I know the "Horn of Africa" can sometimes be contested geographically! The big question I've been thinking about though, what do you think of t he current cultural set-up in East Africa, should there just be one giant "Cushitic" culture tag?