A Comprehensive Overhaul of the Horn of Africa (Ideas)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ajsieg

First Lieutenant
40 Badges
Sep 8, 2015
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
NOTE: This thread is incomplete. I will be adding more ideas over time. :)
Ideas that need to be done:

Damot Ideas
Konso Ideas
Revamped Kaffa Ideas
Revamped Semien Ideas
Revamped Medri Bahri Ideas
Marehan Ideas
Gadabuursi Ideas
Harari Ideas
Warsangali Ideas
Majarteeni Ideas
Hobyo Ideas
Jimma Ideas
Geledi Ideas

Another NOTE: Source List is still not complete :oops:. It will come before my missions/event post.

Hello again! I'm Ajsieg, and this is my Ideas for both Vanilla and Additional Tags covered in my previous posts.

There's a few things I want to cover before I lay out my ideas:
1. I do not claim that these ideas are perfectly balanced. Additionally, I don't claim that the idea bonuses themselves are 'just right'. There can definitely be different interpretations for what bonus should be given to a specific idea. :D

2. Blue indicates an idea that based on mechanics post.

3. Orange indicates a re-purposed vanilla idea. This can also mean an idea moved to a different spot.

4. Green indicates a new bonus in a Vanilla idea revamped (See the Revisited Ideas).

5. Descriptions for specific ideas are provided when necessary.

6. I tried to incorporate newer/DLC bonuses. They do not have to be required and I do understand that some of them are very powerful.

Thanks to all the people who supported me. They know who they are :p. In addition, I would like to ping @neondt, @Caligula Caesar, and @Ofaloaf (Eu4 Content Designers :)). The last two I have not interacted with so I would like to say hello and I hope you like what you see! :D

Without further ado, here are my ideas! (pun intended ;))

Vanilla Tags' Ideas:

Adal:
"The main enemy of Ethiopia, Adal was a country that got stronger over time. This idea set was made with the intention of slowly boosting Adal to a point where the right idea-set or leader can use it to create a military monster."
Land Maintenance Modifier: -5%
Land Leader Shock: +1.00

Our Infinite Struggle: Stability Cost Modifier: -10%
Referring to the continuous struggle with Ethiopia since Ifat times (when Adal took up the mantle after Ifat’s defeat).
A Monarchial Imamate: Yearly Legitimacy: +1.00
While a monarchy, the leaders of Adal were referred to as Imams. The best example being Ahmad Gragn, who is often labelled as an Imam.
Zeila & Harar: Global Trade Power: +15%
Mujahiduir Cavalry: Cavalry Combat Ability: +5%

Cavalry Cost: -10%
In the Futuh-al-Habesh, Gragn’s cavalry were referenced as the “Mujahiduir” cavalry.
Unite the Clans: Years of Separatism: -5
Before Gragn’s jihad, he consolidated the neighboring Afar and Somali tribes in order to bolster his military.
‘Yahu, Yahu!’: Morale of Armies: +10%
According to the Futuh-al-Habesh, Yahu was the cry the soldiers shouted during a battle, which frightened the Ethiopians and caused them to flee.
Embrace the Cannons: Artillery Combat Ability +10%
Adal was the first nation to embrace cannons in the Horn of Africa. This partially contributed to Ethiopia’s defeat during the first few years.
Bonus: Diplomatic Reputation: +1.00
Ajuuraan (Revamped):
"Similar to Ethiopia, Ajuuraan Ideas are decent, but could be better. I incorporated newer bonuses and changed a few of them to either give better bonuses or add more historical naming for them."
-10% Construction Cost
+15% Income from Vassals

Hydraulic Empire: -10% Development Cost OR Saaho Cost: -15%
Land of Many Clans: Max Promoted Cultures: +1
Istunka Tournament: Local Unrest: -1.00
Gareen Imams: +1% Missionary Strength
Xoog: Yearly Absolutism: +0.20

-10% Stability Cost
Our rule should not be impeded by our people. We are here to rule them, not themselves. Keeping them in line is the best way to do this. Whether it’s ius primus noctis, or caging enemies underground, Ajuuraan will rule over this land.
Remove the Gaal Madow: Core Creation Cost: -10%
Whether we like it or not, our land in not homogeneous. While clans are a consequence of a pastoral society, we’ve encountered people who are unlike us. Worst of all, they do not believe in our true god. While we believe it’s our religious right to rule over all people, it should also be our religious right to conquer these ‘black infidels’.
Ottoman Assistance: Free Military Policy: +1
Bonus: Infantry Combat Ability +10%

Aussa:
"This represent a thing I like to call a ‘story-idea’, where a nation’s history is shown through its ideas rather through events or missions. In this case, it tells the story of the Sultanate/Imamate of Aussa transforming from a Somali State to an Afar one, and from there the various systems that developed as a result. Thus this idea set tells the story of a new state in an unfamiliar environment turning into a nation representing the Afar people."
Development Cost: -10%
Production Efficiency: +10%
A New Environment: Diplomats: +1​
Represents the old leaders of Adal moving to Aussa to escape the Oromo. Since Aussa was situated in the desert and there were new political entities around them, this idea represents Aussa acclimating to their new home.
Awssa: Yearly Prestige: +1.00​
The capital of Aussa would turn into an important place by the end of the game’s timeframe. It was at the endpoint of the Awash River, and was connected to Danakil, Ethiopia, and south into Harar.
Afari Integration: Max Promoted Cultures: +1​
In 1815, a man by the name Kedafo Aydahis took over Aussa. The one difference between the previous rulers and him was that he was Afar. Thus Aussa was ruled by the local Afar. This idea represents that transition and that the previous rulers ruled a people other than them.
Finaa: Free Administrative Policy: +1​
The government system of the Southern Afar (Like the Gadaa system). The sultanate ruled over the other clans, and these clans ruled over there people. Finaa applied to the “sanction executing body” of the clans. These Finaa were the heads of clans, and a council of elders would provide assistance. Note that the council’s head of the clan was also the Finaa. Thus Finaa had three terms: the head of the clan council, the name of the “sanction executing body”, and the name of the system in general.
Mirah: Leaders without Upkeep: +1.00​
Before Ali Marah took power (in 1900), the head of the army was called the Mirah. The second in-command was known as the “Mahadi Abba”.
Mada: Local Unrest: -1.00​
Mada was the customary law of the Afari. It was interpreted by the Makaban and the Khido Abbas (should be noted that Aussa limited the power of these two, but they still held some sway as seen here). No entity enforced the Mada. As such, any crime committed by a member of a tribe would have their punishment shared among the tribe (i.e. all were punished). Crimes were divided into 5 categories: Murder, Injuries, Looting, Adultery, & Insults.
Incorporate the Minor States: Morale of Armies: +10%​
Northern Danakil were still a collection of minor states. Aussa would eventually conquer them, and transform the people there to their customs/rule.
Bonus: Land Attrition: -10%

Damot:
"Damot is one of the harder nations to do ideas for, as there is very little info on Damot culture/society. However, the few that are known (gold mines, Ethiopian relationship, and a previously strong kingdom) allows for creativity. This idea represents Damot, as well as a rebirth of it."
Local Unrest: -1.00
Global Trade Power: +15%
Gold of Damot: Yearly Inflation Reduction: -0.10​
It’s just a simple fact that our gold is the best in the region. We’ve heard of faraway places coming all the way for our precious metals, and even our neighbors seek it. While salt rivals gold in price in these Western Highlands, you can’t decorate a church with salt or adorn a crown made of salt!
Motalami: Yearly Legitimacy: +1.00​
While Ethiopia meddles with our monarchy, by either demanding tribute or installing rulers with a different rank, we remember the days where our old motalami ruled over us. Whether or not we are let go by Ethiopia’s grasp, we must preserve our title. We must preserve our culture and not be swallowed by the Solomonic Lion.
Remembering Takla Haymanot: Missionary Strength: +2.00%​
Takla Haymanot was a 13th century missionary from Ethiopia. While his mother was captured by us during a raid, he visited us and preached Christianity. While we’ve only begun in our religious conversion, his work has made us what we are today, both good and bad. When we break free and rise, our new identity will stay with us till the end.
Expand our Trade Network: Trade Steering: +15%​
Damot has the clear advantage when it comes to trade in Ethiopia, so we should look outward.We should send our merchants far and wide, up the Nile or down into unknown territory. This should enable us to keep trade flowing in, even when we expand to new lands we conquer.
Restore our Former Glory: Fire Damage: +10%​
We used to be a great kingdom. Our kingdom once spread from Ennarea to parts of Shewa. Years have taken a toll and now we’re left in a rump state. Why should we stay like this? We should restore our kingdom! Even if there are reports coming of a strange people down south, they would be no match for a revived Damot.
Succeeding Ennarea: Caravan Power: +20%​
Due to our previous decline, we lost much power and wealth to our southern neighbors. While our country produces fine gold, it has become apparent that Ennarea has established a foothold on the gold trade, and have profited off of it. This can’t be allowed, and Ennarea must also have their decline either naturally or by force. Doing this will bring our wealth & power back.
A Kingdom Reborn: Goods Produced Modifier: +10%​
Damot has a complicated, if not obscure, history. A once proud kingdom, constant meddling by Ethiopia had left us in a weak state. We were subject to their rulers and control. Now that we’ve suddenly found ourselves free, it’s time to back and meddle with Ethiopia, and become a kingdom better than our old selves.
Bonus: Land Leader Fire: +1.00

Ennarea:
"Ennarea was a nation based partially on trade and partially on hegemony of the neighboring areas. While mainly focused on trade, Ennarea also has ideas related to it being an important local power."
NOTE: There's a book called The History of the Southern Gonga by Werner Lange that dives deep into Ennarea. Although it was used in Ennarea's Wikipedia page, I do not use Wikipedia unless absolutely necessary. Therefore, this idea-set will not use any of that unless I find a copy of the book.
Goods Produced Modifier: +10%
Provincial Trade Power: +10%

Succeeding Damot: Caravan Power: +20%
Center of Attention: Diplomatic Reputation: +1.00
Ennarea was partially the dominant power of Southwestern Ethiopia. While Kaffa would always rival it, Ennarea would be relevant until the Oromo Migrations, and would be on Ethiopia’s mind until Ennarea collapsed.
Ethiopian Connection: Improve Relations: +15%
This idea and partially the one above represent Ethiopia’s relationship with Ennarea. Ennarea was a huge supplier of gold to Ethiopia, and maintaining that link was of vital importance (Although it was finally cut years into the Oromo Migrations).
Influx of Religions: Tolerance of Heathens: +2.00
In time, the area around Ennarea would be host to Christians (Coptics), indigenous religions, Waaq followers (Oromo), and even Muslims.
The Need for Amoleh: Trade Range +20%
See Danakil Ideas.
Invest in the Coffee Trade: Merchants: +1.00
Stop the Oromo: Force Limit Modifier: +20%

Resistance to Oromoization: +15%
Bonus: Trade Steering: +15%

Ethiopia (Revamped):
"Vanilla’s Ethiopian Ideas are good, but can be better. Additionally, most of the bonuses apply to when Ethiopia got more centralized in the 17th Century. Thus, things were moved around and new things were added."
Land Attrition: -10%
Diplomatic Relations: +1

Settle the Cawa: Core Creation Cost: -10%
Cawa/Chawa were elite soldiers mentioned in my mechanics post. The Emperor would sometimes settle them in recently acquired areas to establish control (i.e. core) and to populate these new areas with loyal people.
Solomonid Claim: Yearly Legitimacy + 1.00
Negusa Nagast: Chance of New Heir: +50%
Dejezmachs: Leader(s) Without Upkeep: +1
One of the many titles for governors, dejezmachs became a high title that was used majorly during the latter half of the timeline. They managed their provinces and would participate in the Emperor’s campaigns. Garads were the name of local rulers (like vassals) that managed provinces on the edge of Ethiopia’s control/that contained a specific group.
Appease the Q(w)erban Soldiers: Infantry Combat Ability: +10%
During the time of Sarsa Dengel, there was an elite regiment called the “Qurban”. Note that Qurban as a word has a religious definition as well. Along with the Christian nobility, the Qurban would meddle with the throne. They challenged Sarsa Dengel’s authority and although they initially supported his heir Za-Dengel, they would revolt after Za-Dengel would restrict their looting and use them heavily against the Oromo.
The Ark of the Covenant: Missionary: +1
Adopt the Oromic Tactics: Fire Damage Received: -10%

Resistance to Oromoization: +15%
One of the reasons Ethiopia managed to defeat the Oromo is by adopting some of their tactics. Brought on by Susenyos, who was the first emperor of Oromo “descent” (was held in Oromo captivity for a while, and not born from an Oromo), he used the Oromo themselves against the invaders, and managed to make headway into their captured territory.
Bonus: Local Autonomy Modifier: -0.05

Hadiya:
"This ideaset is based on the idea of: 'Strong because of how difficult the tag is in 1444'. Since Hadiya was a nation constantly under the Ethiopian thumb, the ideaset has been made to reflect a reborn Hadiya extracting revenge."
Production Efficiency: +10%
Cavalry Combat Ability: +10%
Solomonid Resistance: Discipline: +5%​
Ethiopia would constantly deal with rebellions in Hadiya, even after the incident with Zara Yaqob (one occurred before the Oromo Migrations).
Fertile Valley of Hadiya: Development Cost: -10%
Satellite of Ethiopia: Spy Network Construction +15%​
Idea is that since Hadiya is on the outskirts of Ethiopia, it can be meddle with their affairs and host rebels/spies.
Royal Daughters: Diplomatic Reputation +1.00​
Hadiya would occasionally supply the Solomonids with brides. The best example is Elena, who participated in Ethiopian Politics throughout her life.
Gaaxxanno’o: Morale of Armies: +10% OR Leaders without Upkeep: +1.00​
Gaaxxanna is an elected war leader/commando (plural is Gaaxxanno’o). They ran the country when war was ongoing. Upon death, succession wasn’t immediate. Instead the heir would have to be elected (if the Gaaxxanna died in battle, his heir would most likely be quickly elected). They could be removed at any time.
Support from the Hiraagaano: Yearly Legitimacy: +1.00​
An important person in Hadiya is a soothsayer, or a Hiraagaanchcho. These hiragaano had incredible influence. They caused groups to migrate and also provided advice on how to defeat an opponent or other situations.
Spread the Fandaanano: Missionary Strength +2.00%​
Fandaanano was the Hadiyan religion that was their version of Islam (with syncretic properties). The name was also used for the followers. This idea set connects with the religion battle between Ethiopia & Adal (Hadiya would participate).
Bonus: Land Leader Shock: +1

Janjero:
"These ideas represents the isolationist/uniqueness of Janjero and how they resisted occupation during the latter half of the game period."
Attrition for Enemies: +1.00
Fort Defense: +25%
Enslave the Population: Production Efficiency: +10%​
The King had the power to enslave a group of people with no repercussions (this played into the mini clan system in Janjero, where the King preferred a select few clans over others).
Fai Fauti: Shock Damage: +10%​
At Bor Ama, when the sacrifice would be stabbed with a spear, soldiers would surround the captive. Whenever the captive screamed in agony from the stabs, the soldiers would shout “Fai Fauti” until the screams could not be heard. This proceeded until the captive was killed.
Hill of Bor Ama: Tolerance of the True Faith: +2.00​
Bor Ama (north of Fofa) was the sacred mountain of Janjero, where sacrifices took place.
Human Sacrifice: Stability Cost Modifier: -10%
Purification upon Coronation: Yearly Legitimacy: +1.00​
Whenever a new king was crowned, all the sick people were taken across the river and slaughtered, thus legitimizing the new king’s rule.
Guard the Valley: Infantry Combat Ability: +10%
Oromic Cooperation: Improve Relations: +20%​
The Janjero survived the Oromo Migrations by guarding the valley and negotiating with the Oromo, although they would come into conflict with Jimma after the timeframe.
Bonus: Local Unrest: -1.00

Shewa:
While partially found in Eu4’s timeframe, Shewa was first a vassal founded after the Oromo Migrations that would eventually rise to become the uniter of Ethiopia after decades of fracture (under Menelik II). This idea set reflects partially the events of Shewa during Eu4 while some are taken out of the timeframe. However, this provides a more militant Ethiopian country, rather than a more vassal-friendly one in 1444.
Spy Network Construction: +15%
Diplomatic Reputation: +1.00
Maredezmatch: Manpower Recovery Speed: +10%​
When Abiya took power in 1720, he adopted the title of Maredezmatch. It was a military title, meaning “commander who inspires awe”. This idea represent Shewa being a more military-focused state.
Found a Shoan Capital: Development Cost: -10%​
The founder of “Shewa”, Nagassi, first started in Menz, a province in Northwestern Shewa. Eventually Shewa encompassed most of the plateau, and Amha Iyasus founded Ankober, which was situated in Central Shewa (i.e was a better capital than on the periphery of Shewa). This capital would be the permanent residence until Menelik II founded Addis Ababa.
A Prideful History: Yearly Legitimacy: +1.00
Drive Back the Oromo: Fort Maintenance: -15%​
Shewa would regain the plateau by driving the Oromo out. However, this idea represent the fortifications built after to keep them out (Menelik II would fortify the northern border with the Wallo before attacking them).
Develop our Corps d’Elite: Discipline: +5%​
Shewa developed a bodyguard that were armed with firearms, while the main army lagged behind on that. As a result, the king’s bodyguard turned in a Corps d’Elite, which the King cultivated like other kingdoms in Africa did.
Import Matchlocks: Military Technology Cost: -10%​
Shewa was one of the few places that were lacking firearms by the 18-19th Century. Many of the rulers would import firearms into Shewa, and use them to invade the Oromo, who didn’t use firearms.
An Ethiopian Dream: Core Creation Cost: -10%​
Basically Menelik II’s dream of becoming ruler of Ethiopia.
Bonus: Production Efficiency: +10%

Welayta:
"Welayta was unofficially the ‘Gateway to Ethiopia’, as the Oromo were stuck for many years because of this state due to the large fortifications. Once Welayta was neutralized, the road to Ethiopia laid open. Thus, this ideaset has been made to reflect the fortified nature of the state as well as the culture associated with these people."
Fort Maintenance: -20%
Fire Damage: +10%
Gateway to Ethiopia: Fort Defense: +15%​
Similar to the idea below, Welayta was known as the main obstacle blocking the path into Ethiopia for the Oromo.
Military Trainings: Cavalry Combat Ability: +15%​
Welaytan Teenagers go through a cycle of Military Trainings. It first starts with hunting, and then moves onto cavalry training. There are four stages to this. The four stages are: Sholawa Tuwaa (Moving fast and attacking the enemy), Sonde Pretewa (Fighting on a slope towards the ground), Aderasuwa (Basically scouting the enemy and the surrounding area), and finally Germamuwa (Flanking the enemy and raising the horse to frighten the enemy/scout weak points). There were also military games and other trainings like Habelue, where one leg would have its Achilles tendon cut and they would have to learn to fight with one leg (improves mobility). See the source list for the link and more information.
Buluko Cloth: Yearly Prestige: +1.00​
Cloth from Welayta was named Buluko (Welayta’s flag in Eu4 is an example of this cloth).
Great Fortifications: Garrison Size: +20%​
Welayta & Dawro (which this tag both encompasses) built massive forts to keep out the Oromo and other enemies.
Qaxxarabacaallaa: Land Leader Fire: +1.00​
At the age of 15, Welaytan teenagers would go on a hunting expedition. If they killed a big animal like Buffalo, they would officially be called Qaxxarabacaallaa, signifying their entrance to manhood.
The Music of Welayta: Idea Cost: -10%
Connection with the Omotic: Free Diplomatic Policy: +1​
Welayta was basically a hodgepodge of peoples & clans. Welayta both had elements of Sidamo and Omotic Peoples.
Bonus: National Manpower Modifier: +15%

New Tags' Ideas (See Signature for Previous Posts):

Barentu:
"While the other Oromo groups have a set identity (Except the Gedeo), the Barentu have an odd place in the events of Eu4. Until Oromization, the Barentu & Borana were interconnected, and the idea of two independent nations is strange, until you look at the cultural and even religious differences. While the pre-Migration is heavily Borana-focused, the Barentu became the dominant force in Ethiopia, where the Yejju dynasty caused the Zemene Mesafint and other Barentu groups shaped the political landscape for years. They were the biggest group to be affected by conversions, with the various groups becoming Muslim. This idea set as a result will include ideas from various places: a few from pre-Migration, during Oromization, and then after that where the Barentu split into different groups."
Infantry Cost: -10%
Army Morale Recovery Speed: +5%
Warrana: Land Leader Shock: +1.00​
While Warrana literally means spear, it also meant warrior. The name Warantisha, or Arsi Oromo (a Barentu clan), comes from this word.
Chaffee of Fugug: Yearly Prestige: +1.00​
Fugug is labeled as the birthplace of the Oromo. While many places have been named after it, the original is generally believed to be in the Arsi Zone in Ethiopia. Since Fugug is near the Barentu clans’ homeland (in southern Ethiopia), this idea (and the province) was given to them.
Assimilate the Sarri: Missionary Strength: +2.00%​
The Barentu classified themselves and foreigners into two categories: Humbaana (Oromo) and Sarri (people/alien). While this could easily be a CCR idea, I chose to use the religious aspect, since most of the Barentu groups converted to Islam and became very religious.
Xappo: Morale of Armies: +10%​
Xappo is a Barentuan term basically meaning a reminisce of the old days “when the Oromo became a people”. It was coined after the Oromo Migrations. Meant as a sense of pride for the Barentu.
Pilgrimage of Irreechha: Diplomatic Reputation: +2.00​
Irreechaa is the Oromo Thanksgiving, where they thank Waaq at the start of spring for his gifts/blessings. This takes place at Hora Arsadi, a lake near Bishoftu (in Eu4 Shewa). While it’s weird to represent an idea for a place they would conquer, since it is important I chose to make it into an idea (though this can easily represented as something else).
Establish our Heera: Missionaries: +1 OR Administrative Possible Policies: +1​
Heera is the tribal law. It was first made at a place called Koss in Bale. This idea takes the religious aspect of it (Since Barentu represents a multitude of clans in ideas for the time being). Since Wallo and Arsi both became religious states, this idea can either represent that or allow the different clans to make their own administrative choice.
Find the Odaa: Aggressive Expansion Impact: -10%​
Odaa is a sycamore tree, a sacred tree among the Oromo. Whenever they found a sycamore tree, their name for it would start with “Oda” and would be the center for more migrations. Since the Barentu were the most aggressive in expansion, the idea went to them.
Bonus: Army Maintenance Modifier: -5%

Borana:
"Arguably the face of the Oromo (and maybe this project :p), the Borana could easily have 25 ideas associated with them. As a result the Borana were given sort of a mixed bag of bonuses, while also providing military bonuses to promote their historical prowess against Ethiopia."
Infantry Combat Ability: +10%
Idea Cost: -10%
Okole: Goods Produced Modifier: +10%​
The Okole was a jug made from Animal Skin used in collecting milk from cows. However, they were also used to collect water from deep wells (like the Tula cluster of wells in Southern Ethiopia).
Gogeessa Shaneenii: Yearly Republic Tradition: +1.00​
The “Five Political Lines” that make up the Borana Gada System. Each work in tandem to rule and protect the democratic system.
Chibbra: Shock Damage: +10%​
Chibbra is the Oromo fighting style. Involves the use of horses to harass and scare the enemy. Units were also called Chibbra and they followed planned strategies, and maintained organization and gathered their own supplies.
Waciitii Safaraa: Provincial Trade Modifier: +15%​
Meaning “Measure Bowl”, this was used by the Borana as a sort of trade regulator (where a bowl was an unit of measurement). They were bought from specific potters in order to maintain a standard.
Baalbaaleti Baa: Land Force Limit Modifier: +20%​
Baalbaaleti Baa was a enactable ‘decree’ that basically meant total mobilization. An example was in the 18th century where the Maasai & Samburu attacked the Borana. The abba gadaa enacted it and a large force was mobilized and defeated the invaders.
Nagaa Borana: Local Unrest: -1.00​
Literally “Borana Peace”, it is the basic principle of the Borana society (i.e. social harmony).
Goolii: Diplomatic Relations: +1.00​
Goolii was a military alliance established by the Borana with other groups of people. Examples include the Sakuye, Garre, and the Ajuuraan (after their collapse in Somalia). These alliances would help the Borana defend their territory until the conquest by Menelik II weakened the Borana to the point where the Somali started to invade Kenya.
Bonus: Cavalry Flanking Ability: +50%

Danakil:
"While Aussa was a more centralized state, the various tribes/minor states in the Danakil were not. However, the kingdom of Dankali was an actual state that with Ethiopia through various means. Thus this idea set represents the various way these tribes were relevant as well as showcase the Afar and the various sub-tribes."
Caravan Power: +20%
Land Attrition: -10%

Our Ethiopian Relationship: Improve Relations: +20%
The Danakil Tribes have had an interesting relationship with Ethiopia in the first part of Eu4. It first started with Amda Seyon, who invaded Danakil and sacked many towns. Then, when Baeda Maryam attacked the Dobe’a, the Danakil were mentioned as helping him defeat the Dobe’a. Later on, the Beilul trade route provided another point of access to Ethiopia, though Ethiopia did not control it effectively.
Danakil Desert: Attrition for Enemies +1.00
The Danakil Desert is one of the hottest parts of the Earth, and the of the most unforgiving. While the Danakil Desert should have a high attrition and not only represented by an idea, it’s still worth putting it in here.
Amoleh: Goods Produced Modifier: +10%
Amoleh are salt bars used as currency in Ethiopia. They were harvested from the Danakil salt lakes, and were transported to all parts of modern day Ethiopia.
The Ports of Denkalia: Global Trade Power: +15%
Going back to the Beilul trade route, and in general were used by Europeans as a point of access after the game’s timeframe.
Mela: National Manpower Modifier: +10%
Mela is the Afari word for clan. These clans were landless and boundaries were never established, so land disputes didn’t occur. This idea may either represent the extra peace (unrest), or the fact that the state basically had extra men due to the clans not fighting each other.
Adohimarra & Adashimarra: Stability Cost Modifier: -10%
The “White Men” & “Red Men” are the two major divisions of the Afari. The Adashimarra live in the Awash area, while the Adohimarra live further north. While the two have intermixed, there was always a line of separation (Whites were the nobles, and the Reds were the lower class).
Organize the Khido Abbas: National Tax Modifier: +10%
Before the rise of the Aussa Sultanate, power/law was held by the Khido Abbas, or the Heads of the clans. They would gather and mediate any disputes and assist their own principal head, the Makaban. In terms of Eu4, the Makaban was the head of the clan (though what sort of state a clan would be in Eu4 is very debatable).
Bonus: Shock Damage: +10%

Gabra:
"While technically a subsidiary of the Borana, the Gabra had its own ‘culture’ so to speak. As a result this ideaset was made to show Gabra as a nation connected to its neighbors culturally/politically, while also having unique traits."
Diplomatic Relations: +1
National Manpower Modifier: +15%
The Little Brother: Diplomat: +1​
Gabra in the Oromo language means ‘Little Brother’. They were considered subservient/culturally a part of the Borana until the 1800s, where they started to become more distinct. This idea is meant to showcase its connection to Borana while also being an independent clan (Thus, Gabra can work with the Borana while also doing its own thing).
Use of the Camel: Production Efficiency: +10%​
While the Borana and other clans use the cow, the Gabra use the camel due to the harsher desert/climate.
Expands the Wells: Land Attrition: -10%​
Most settlements of the Gabra revolve around wells. This idea-set represents expanding those wells for better travel and to increase the water supply.
Boorantitii: Tolerance of the True Faith: +2.00​
While practiced by the Borana, the Gabra heavily practiced in it. It represents, quote on quote, “Boorananess”.It also represents morality. A person who goes against it (being selfish, doesn’t respect the law, etc.) are classified either as nyaap’a (foreigners), or sidi (‘perpetual’ enemies). The Gabra have maintained this moral standard for allegedly 300 years.
Finn: Stability Cost Modifier: -10%​
Finn represents fertility of the world and the rains provided by Waaq (Waake). Having “finn” means social harmony and bountiful harvests Famine and internal strife represents a lack of finn (finn hin kabd’u). Restoring finn requires prayer and sacrifices. Finn is also represented by four objects that represent a yaa (Special camp): a drum, horn, sceptre, and a firestick (Dibbee, Magalata, Bokku, & Uc’uuma).
Marar: Yearly Prestige: +1.00​
While Marar means “repetition”, it is also used to mean “history”. The Gabra believed everything, not just time, occurs in 8 year cycles. A ‘unit’ of Marar is a week, with each day being linked to its own ‘thing’ (lack of a better term). Everytime a person is borned, a special ceremony called mogati takes place where the child gets a special gender-specific name based on the day of the week they were born.
Encourage Waan Gamac’uu: Technology Cost: -5%​
Waan Gamac’uu are the “things that make one happy”. It represents the songs that the Gabra sing about. It can be about anything and can be sung in public or in private. This ideas implies that encouraging Waan Gamac’uu allows for more creativity and innovation.
Bonus: Envoy Travel Time: -25%

Gasaaragude:
"While Gasaaragude never made any big political splashes, it played a huge role in the outskirts of modern day Somalia, the Ogaden, Southern Ethiopia, and Kenya. The city of Luuq became a major city on a trade route stretching from Kismayo/Mogadishu to the Konso. This ideaset is based on that major trade route, with a few other tidbits relating to the clan itself."
Prestige Decay: -1%
Trade Range: +20%
Remember Aw Kalafow: Morale of Armies: +10%​
Aw Kalafow was the founder of Gasaaragude, who died in 1435. His kingdom expanded from Luuq to Xuddur/Tayeeglow to Buur Heybe. On his death, a civil war broke out. Idea is meant to remember Gasaaragude's founding glory.
City of Luuq: Trade Steering: +20%​
Luuq was the capital of Gasaaragude and became one of the most important cities in Somalia, rivaling Mogadishu in terms of trade.
Standardize the Buunaq: Trade Efficiency: +10%​
Buunaq is a Somali word meaning trade caravan. Since Gasaaragude controlled the caravan routes, it stands that Gasaaragude would what to standardize it to improve trade/establish a standard.
Network with the Oromo: Tolerance of Heathens: +2.00
Expand the Realm: Fire Damage: +10%
Trade with Southern Ethiopia: Caravan Power: +20%​
The Luuq trade went all the way into Konso and the Oromo homeland.
“Gasaaragude gob Reewin”: Culture Conversion Cost: -15%​
Basically meaning that the Gasaaragude are the highest of all the Reewin (asserting dominance). Another saying is "Doo leedey Lugh Seew”, basically meaning Luuq is the final/highest appeal in a dispute.
Bonus: Goods Produced Modifier: +10%

Guji:
"The Guji are a clan unique to the Borana. The Guji promote environmental protection and they believe heavily in Waaq. This idea group is meant for Guji to be ‘tall’, as they had very little, if any, participation in the migrations and focused more on their environment."
Advisor Cost: -10%
Manpower Recovery Speed: +10%
Kaloo: Development Cost: -10%​
Kaloo are restricted areas of grazing. They were blocked from pastoral use until the dry season, when weaker animals couldn’t travel as far for grazing land.
Woyyuu: Yearly Prestige: +1.00​
Woyyuu were sacred forests/shrines. These were associated with the Gada rituals and religious events (like a church/mosque).
Kuda: Army Morale Recover Speed: +5%​
Whenever the Guji kill people from one of their rivals, they hold a Kuda ceremony where they boast about their deeds.
Create the Seera Marraa-Bishaanii: Production Efficiency: +10%​
Practiced by the Guji and the Borana, “The Laws of Grass and Water” regulate what water sources/land can be used so fields can recover and grow back. Wells are only used during the dry season, while during the wet season surface water is used. Forests are only grazed in the dry season while open fields are used during the summer.
Lagubasa: Possible Advisors: +1​
Initiation ceremony into adulthood. The children get tested on varied aspects, including physical strength & knowledge. Once done, he becomes an adult that can participate in the Gada system.
Law of Safuu: Tolerance of the True Faith: +2.00​
One of the three core parts of the Oromo, Safuu is the moral code. While Safuu regulates what is right or wrong, Safuu also regulates human consumption of nature, which the Oromo value. Since the Guji value nature and its conservation, this idea seeks to showcase the importance of Safuu to the Guji.
Kaayoo: Stability Cost Modifier: -10%​
Kaayoo is partially what determines a candidate for the Abba Gadaa. It is not a physical thing, but an idea. It basically represents good and evil and kaayoo connects people with Waaq. Candidates for Abba Gadaa must have good kaayoo (i.e. perfect physical condition and must be from a select number of lineages).
Bonus: Land Attrition: -10%

Ogaadeen:
"The harsh Ogaden desert is home to numerous tribes. These tribes utilized horses to conduct raiding of their neighbors, as well as to do combat. Additionally, the desert connected the trade routes of Ethiopia with Somalia. These ideas represent the clans that are unique based on their geography both politically and geographically."

Movement Speed: +15%
Trade Steering: +20%
Wadaa Routes: Domestic Trade Power: +15%
Saaho Cost: -10%
The Ogaden were host to many trade routes. There was Wadaa Arnot, Wadaa Gulif, and Wadaa Hamid is northeastern Ogaden. There were also trade routes connecting the southwestern part of Ogaden to Bale.
The Harsh Desert: Attrition for Enemies: +1.00
Dhulbahante Horses: Cavalry Combat Ability: +10%​
The Dhulbahante were a group between Somaliland and northeastern Ogaden. They were feared for their horses and their looting.
Boojji: Goods Produced Modifier: +10%​
Boojji was the method of salt extraction. It was done by filling holes with saltwater. Once the water evaporated, the salt would be extracted and made into bars. These bars would be traded throughout Southern Ethiopia. There was also another process, named Afdera, which spreading the saltwater over a larger area in the sun, providing a thin layer of salt.
Elder Councils: Stability Cost: -10%
Gubo Poetry: Idea Cost: -10%​
While Gubo is a term for a specific set of poetry that recorded the impact of the Dervish wars on the Ogaadeen, this idea makes Gubo a general term and also represents how the Somalis used poetry to connect history and other events. Since the Ogaadeen has a specific example, the idea went to them.
Support the Migrations: Spy Network Construction: +20%​
When the Ogaadeen migrated to Eastern Kenya, they became involved in the conflict between the Oromo and the other groups that migrated there. The Ogaadeen and two other groups joined together to form an alliance that finally overrun the Oromo, finally establishing a Somali presence there in the 1890’s.
Bonus: Cavalry Cost: -15%

Orma:
"The most militaristic of all the Oromo groups, the Orma were a significant power in Southern Kenya and established its hegemony on parts of the Swahili Coast, Southern Somalia, and even into Maasailand. This set of ideas was made to represent Orma’s hegemony, as well as make it a military powerhouse, primarily through strong infantry. However, the Orma face the same problem as the Borana in that they have too many potential Ideas, so I tried to pick the more important ones/ones that fit the theme."
Land Leader Maneuver: +1.00
Yearly Prestige: +1.00
Jiila: Spy Network Construction: +20%​
Jiila was a secret society among the Munyo Oromo. People who joined faced harsh training. The society was revolved around the Jiila object. Any non-members who discussed about the object would be killed (it would be claimed that the society ‘ate’ them). It was shrouded in utter secrecy. The idea with this one is that the Orma would use this secret society to do its dirty work.
Worra Guubbe: Infantry Cost: -20%​
The Waata were known as the “People of the Bow”. While the Waata were one of the groups absorbed by the Orma, the Orma were also a fearsome military force. This idea tries makes a connection between the two. Thus, like the Borg, the Orma would absorb the knowledge from the Waata.
Guutu: Leader(s) Without Upeep: +1.00​
Guutu were tufts grown on the back of men’s heads. Every time a man killed an enemy and brought back a trophy, he would be allowed to grow one. Guutu would also be a symbol of manhood, where the children would go on a hunt and bring back a big animal. Men of high position would usually have multiple guutu.
The Saafar Enemy: Shock Damage Received: -10%​
“Saafar” is the Oromo word for the Somali. The Orma and Borana would come into constant conflict with the migrating clans, and it would last well into the 1890’s, where the Somalis won.
Toib: +1 Administrative Possible Policy​
Toib was a council of seven chiefs, that worked with the Orma leader to do various tasks, working in unison. The toib were sent to visit European Missionaries in 1843, because the Hayu Gada (Orma’s leader) was curious. The Toib heard cases and administered justice. This idea represents Orma using the Toib to decide on what to do administratively. With the extra men, Orma can pursue more things.
Jiifu: Domestic Trade Power: +15%​
Jiifu were mandatory tithes/gifts whenever a person or a group visited the leader (including outside foreigners). One European visitor paid gifts to the leaders/representatives and the leader of their escort. One time soldiers refused to pay the tithes after a successful campaign, and were cursed. The idea represents the Orma blocking all access, including merchants/other trade, until gifts were brought.
Tiriisoo: Income from Vassals: +20%​
While a Goolii established an alliance (See Boranan Ideas), a Tiriisoo is a tributary alliance/clientship. Used mostly by the Orma, the client would ask for protection. This relationship established social & economic ties between the two. It also left the client autonomous. Later on, the Orma would hegemonize the Swahili coast, creating a more forced tributary relationship. This idea represents these subjects both paying tributes (for the case of the Swahili coast) and establishing economic ties.
Bonus: Unjustified Demands: -10%

Well there we go! I hope you enjoyed, and I remember that I understand some people won't like something, but I welcome any debate :D. Understand that ideas are one of the hardest things for me to do, so there will probably be some tweaking needed, but that's fine!

Next up will be Missions for some of these nations, and Events will probably a separate post.

Have a good day!
-Ajsieg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi! Thanks for this, hopefully we get the chance to revamp the Horn of Africa and certain other parts of the continent that are close to my heart at some point :) (But I make no promises)

One thing though - a large part of the work in making new idea sets is coming up with convincing flavour texts. I appreciate the explanations you have given for the ideas you suggest (it is really remarkable how many people suggest ideas and think that a title and a bonus is all that is needed), but you really can't go overboard when proposing flavour texts. (Well, ok, you probably can, but it is always easier to cut stuff than to add things where there isn't enough). Here's a thread that did it particularly well.

Not every country needs at least one of Discipline / BROT / CCR / Damage Increase or Reduction

‘Yahu, Yahu!’: Discipline: +5%According to the Futuh-al-Habesh, Yahu was the cry the soldiers shouted during a battle, which frightened the Ethiopians and caused them to flee.

That's not Discipline. "Discipline" refers to the abilities of highly drilled regiments, on the one side to release highly efficient musket salvoes and for the unit to keep itself in fighting condition even while itself being under fire.

A war cry does not lead to such things. +Morale or even +Morale Damage seems more appropiate.

Bonus: Diplomatic Reputation: +2.00

That seems a bit too much. Currently only 5 tags have +2 Dip Rep:

Austria, which was a diplomatic juggernaut during the game's timeframe
Mysore, aka Viyajanagar snack table
Rome, which is one of the more elaborate formable nations
Jerusalem, which is one of the more challenging formable nations
Aachen, which was the coronation city of the Roman-German kings

One major power, 2 formables, one hard to play nation and one of the most important cities in Medieval European history. Adal just doesn't quite match up to those.

Also applies to Ennarea and Shewa.

Xoog: Yearly Absolutism: +1.00Xoog means ‘force’, which is used to represent Ajuuraan’s rule (Due to the ruler's absolute power and cruelty, among other things).

No. Absolutism should never be touched without wearing thick gloves for it remains one of the most abusable mechanics in the game. Plus this idea would be literally blank before the Age of Absolutism hits.

Afari Integration: Max Promoted Cultures: +1In 1815, a man by the name Kedafo Aydahis took over Aussa. The one difference between the previous rulers and him was that he was Afar. Thus Aussa was ruled by the local Afar. This idea represents that transition and that the previous rulers ruled a people other than them.

1815 is in my opinion to late to influence any idea sets.

Incorporate the Minor States: Morale of Armies: +10%Northern Danakil were still a collection of minor states. Aussa would eventually conquer them, and transform the people there to their customs/rule.

The effect doesn't reflect the flavour. This might be better represented by reduced diplomatic annexation cost.

Hi! Thanks for this, hopefully we get the chance to revamp the Horn of Africa and certain other parts of the continent that are close to my heart at some point :) (But I make no promises)

One thing though - a large part of the work in making new idea sets is coming up with convincing flavour texts. I appreciate the explanations you have given for the ideas you suggest (it is really remarkable how many people suggest ideas and think that a title and a bonus is all that is needed), but you really can't go overboard when proposing flavour texts. (Well, ok, you probably can, but it is always easier to cut stuff than to add things where there isn't enough). Here's a thread that did it particularly well.

Thanks for this! :) I will work on flavour texts, though it will take a while. Will probably reincorporate the descriptions.

Not every country needs at least one of Discipline / BROT / CCR / Damage Increase or Reduction
First off, thanks for your feedback:D.

Secondly, I totally understand that, and I myself have been trying to reduce/provide a variety to those things. However when I look at military bonuses, there's just not a lot of variety when I looked through the wiki. There's the standard army quality boosters, and there's the misc. like maintenance and attrition. The Boosters are few in number, so it's hard to represent military powers without a lot of overlap. Still working on it, but I do understand it (For example, CCR is only on three tags: Ethiopia, Ajuuraan, and Shewa and one is from vanilla).

I'm gonna add this to my post, but I'm compiling the entire list of bonuses used in the ideas. I see this:
Number = How many Ideas I made have it
Morale of Armies: 4
Discipline: 3
CCR: 3
Fire Damage Received: 1
Shock Damage Received: 1
Fire Damage: 2
Shock Damage: 3
I don't know what the "correct" amount should be, but Morale of Armies is likely too high. I would say 3 should be the highest number.
That's not Discipline. "Discipline" refers to the abilities of highly drilled regiments, on the one side to release highly efficient musket salvoes and for the unit to keep itself in fighting condition even while itself being under fire.
A war cry does not lead to such things. +Morale or even +Morale Damage seems more appropriate.
That's totally true, though that gets into the "too much of one thing" argument but that's a digression.:p Will fix.

That seems a bit too much. Currently only 5 tags have +2 Dip Rep:

Austria, which was a diplomatic juggernaut during the game's timeframe
Mysore, aka Viyajanagar snack table
Rome, which is one of the more elaborate formable nations
Jerusalem, which is one of the more challenging formable nations
Aachen, which was the coronation city of the Roman-German kings

One major power, 2 formables, one hard to play nation and one of the most important cities in Medieval European history. Adal just doesn't quite match up to those.

Also applies to Ennarea and Shewa.
Totally my bad, will fix :oops:.

No. Absolutism should never be touched without wearing thick gloves for it remains one of the most abusable mechanics in the game. Plus this idea would be literally blank before the Age of Absolutism hits.
My original was +0.50 and then 2.5% discipline, however I've been told (and I agree) that it's not better. Now that I look at it it's way too large of a bonus. I will put something with it. However, I still would like a small bonus (0.10 to keep with existing ideas).

1815 is in my opinion to late to influence any idea sets.
Aussa is a hard tag to do. While I do mention 1815, I also represent the fact that the Somali elite were ruling over the Afar. While that does seem weak, I feel like it's more of a description/flavour text change than an actual idea change to fix.:)

The effect doesn't reflect the flavour. This might be better represented by reduced diplomatic annexation cost.
Well Aussa never really had vassals. My initial thought was CCR, but obviously I want less of that. Morale of Armies was used because Aussa looked down on these minor states, and transformed them once they conquered them. I will look for a newer bonus though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this! :) I will work on flavour texts, though it will take a while. Will probably reincorporate the descriptions.

No rush :) Re the numbers btw, I find that it is more important for the idea behind something to be solid than that the numbers and bonuses are exactly right (unless it id a very specific thing you want). Reason being that numbers and bonuses are easily changed and there are plenty people it needs to get through before unbalanced ones can get into the game :p

No rush :) Re the numbers btw, I find that it is more important for the idea behind something to be solid than that the numbers and bonuses are exactly right (unless it id a very specific thing you want). Reason being that numbers and bonuses are easily changed and there are plenty people it needs to get through before unbalanced ones can get into the game :p
Appreciate the advice :D. Ideas are always rough for me, because everyone (including me) has different opinions on Ideas and what is considered 'balanced'. That's why I want to follow vanilla ideas for bonus values and what constitutes really powerful vs. weak (Though clearly there's a few hiccups :p).

Of course, there's always lively debates about idea bonuses :D

Damot Ideas + Minor Tweaking
Time for an update! Apologies for being off of the grid. I'm working on various things and so this took a backseat. However, I have a whole lot of fixes/balancing and ideas to do so I better start cracking!

New Ideas:
  • Damot
Balancing/Tweaks:
  • Added Idea Descriptions for Damot and Ajuuraan
  • Borana's Bonus is now Cavalry Flanking Ability
  • Redid 'Ajuuraan's Xoog' and 'Hydraulic Empire' Ideas
  • Redid Adal's 'Yahu, Yahu!'
  • Lowered all Diplomatic Reputation to +1.00
  • Updated Ethiopia's 'Appease the Qurban Soldiers' to 'Appease the Q(w)erban Soldiers'