A collection of suggestions for Hiveminds in 3.0.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tech Noir Synth

Lt. General
24 Badges
Dec 15, 2018
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
Hello there!

Since I am a huge Hivemind-fan, I am going to post some suggestions that will make playing Hiveminds easier and a bit more enjoyable.

First of all, change this edict. No Hivemind player wants MORE Maintenance Drones. Instead, a big part of Hivemind economy is disabling Maintenance Drone jobs. This edict is harmful to your economy. Its useless and it takes up an edict slot. I suggest something like this: Synapse Drones increase complex Drone output by 1% each and upkeep is increased by +1 Energy.

this edict is a joke.PNG

Next: Please REDUCE the amount of Maintenance Drones added by Hive world Housing districts. There are simply too many jobs and they are not needed at all. See my screenshots below.

Maintenance Drones on Hive worlds.jpg

Maintenance Drones on Hive worlds (2).jpg

As you can see, there are way too many Maintenance Drone jobs and every time you have to manually disable a lot of them. Its never worth it to have spare Amenities as a Hivemind because Maintenance drone job are extremely inefficient, providing only 4 base Amenities whereas non-Gestalt Amenity jobs provide 10 amenities.

Next: Please Add Gestalt Ruler Traits back. Having an Immortal Gestalt ruler is no bonus at all. Its so easy to never have any leaders die by researching Ruler Age bonuses and policies like Selected Lineages which also increase Ruler Age. Not having Ruler traits and Agendas is severely hurting Gestalts and its another sad example out of many, where Gestalt players simply get less tools. I have suggested this many times already: Just give players options to select from a pool of leader traits on level up, for example on level 3, 6 and 9. This gives Gestalt players more RP potential and more agency.

Also, please fix the visuals of Hive worlds in the empire screen.

Hivemind Ruler bonus.jpg

Another suggestion: Please buff the Crime Reduction of Hunter-Seeker Drones to -25 crime like Enforcers. Or add +1 Hunter Seeker Drone job to Hive capital. Hiveminds are the only empire which have to build Enforcer buildings in the game because their crime reduction is the worst in the entire game.

And please remove the Crime Lord deal +10 stability effect from non-Gestalts. This exploit has been in the game since 2.2 and has been giving non-Gestalts an unfair advantage of +10 stability on every planet for only 25 influence.

Hunter Seeker Drone.jpg

Thanks a lot for reading. I'm hoping to get some more suggestions collected here. Hivemind civics also need an overhaul. For example adding +1 Edict Capacity to Subsumed Will. And buffs to strength of Legions, Natural Neural Network, aswell as the civic for +10% admin cap. Sadly most Hivemind civics are bland, boring and a lot weaker than non-Gestalt civics. They need some adjustments.

• 1Like
Reactions:
First of all, change this edict. No Hivemind player wants MORE Maintenance Drones. Instead, a big part of Hivemind economy is disabling Maintenance Drone jobs. This edict is harmful to your economy. Its useless and it takes up an edict slot. I suggest something like this: Synapse Drones increase complex Drone output by 1% each and upkeep is increased by +1 Energy.
I think the same. I first noticed this with Clerks:

But from that I made a suggestion to fix the Maintenance drones a similar way:

A bit of automatic management of Job Slots would go a long way - and we already have something like that with Necrophages.

Next: Please Add Gestalt Ruler Traits back. Having an Immortal Gestalt ruler is no bonus at all. Its so easy to never have any leaders die by researching Ruler Age bonuses and policies like Selected Lineages which also increase Ruler Age. Not having Ruler traits and Agendas is severely hurting Gestalts and its another sad example out of many, where Gestalt players simply get less tools.
The quetion is: What would be the downside? The Tradeoff?
No bonus can be entirely free, becuase otherwise there would be no tradeoff.
Even the Gestalt Consciousness Ethic comes at a price - not being able to pick others and all the downsides. Plus possibly all the mechanics you do not have.

In democracies you have to spend a lot of Influence if you want the candidate of a minority Party to win
In Oligarchies you have to spend a large lump sum, otherwise the canddiate is entirely random
Dictatorships are like Oligarchies, just that you are stuck with the leader forever
In Imperial Rule, you got no tools to control who is leader. The closest I got was declaring war on a FE, as their Humiliation kills my current Ruler and I can switch to the Heir.

My best idea is Synaptic Disruption: Basically you take the effect that normal Empires get from having their Leader assasinated by a FE, and apply it to a Gestalt every time they change the ruler. But I would prefer just about any other idea.

Another suggestion: Please buff the Crime Reduction of Hunter-Seeker Drones to -25 crime like Enforcers. Or add +1 Hunter Seeker Drone job to Hive capital. Hiveminds are the only empire which have to build Enforcer buildings in the game because their crime reduction is the worst in the entire game.
The Hunter Seeker drones for me are -20 right now.

I think the main issue is crime production:
All Pops produce 2 Crime, multiplied by the Inverse of Happiness (so a 100% happy pop does 0 Crime).
Gestalt Pops are counted as having a 50% Happiness for any mechanic that uses happiness - so they always produce 1 Crime.
I agree it should be fixed, but that might be the wrong end to start :)

Honestly, the biggest complaint I have with Hiveminds is that they feel so shallow from a perspective of gameplay compared to the other Gestalt (Machines). HMs basically get three option: play as a Devouring Swarm, use the Tree of Life Origin, or don't, and just generally pick w/e civics. This compared to Machines, who can do a generalist setup pretty well, AND on top of which, get three civic-bound playstyles.

I'd absolutely love to have those options just, well... expanded upon. There are some wonderful mods out there that offer a lot of creative options, I'd like to see the devs take some cues from that material and put it into the base content with their own spin on things.

• 1Like
Reactions: