• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oofta, bit of a savior complex, this one! (Speaking of Kiri, of course!)

Hopefully the woman isn't playing on the lonely heartstrings of our courageous hero.
Kiri is going to bite off a little more than he could chew because of this mindset, but we're not there yet.

I can't speak directly to Mina "playing with heartstrings" without spoiling the central mystery. Suffice to say the little mystery is centered on her.

Poor Kiri. He lost his family because the spy agency couldn't be bothered to come up with a good cover story.

Mina and Kiri's relationship looks to be going okay, and Kiri is so sentimental. Still, meeting in Ambush Alley has to be dangerous... even for 2 spies. I guess it does provide a lot of secrecy, though.

How long has the DIA existed? When were they founded? What were they doing during events like the Second Hyperspace War or the Levakian Rebellion (did that get renamed for the 116th Cycle? What do they call it now?)?
The DIA was established in 2005 by Queen Kendra the Great. (Mami Tamihana) Their founding overlaps with the start of the Vaygr War, a brutal conflict in which the Hiigarans and Vaygr fought for control of the 3 Hyperspace Cores.* (This is the same conflict where the Hiigarans seized control of all three Cores) The Commonwealth did not participate in this war, but was very alarmed when the nomadic Bentusi civilization was rendered completely extinct during the conflict just to separate them from their own Hyperspace Core.

The DIA was put to the test shortly after its creation, as their listening posts quickly detected signals from the Beast, which was at the time just ten years away from invading the Galaxy. DIA operatives spent the intervening decade making preparations to defend Commonwealth space from Beast incursions. This included "acquiring" information from the Hiigarans about their brief encounter with a different variation of the Beast Virus in the mid 1930's.

During the Second Hyperspace War, the DIA spent most of its time attempting to predict the Beast, allowing the Commonwealth to put up a strong defense for 20 years.

Their first critical intelligence failure happened in 2036 and led to the Partogan Homeworld being lost forever in 2036.

The DIA suffered a second critical intelligence failure in 2084, allowing the United Nations of Earth to carry out its surprise attack at Shipyard Nynrah that launched the War of the Paradox in 2086.

Additional Notes:

*For new readers, the 3 Hyperspace Cores are a story element from the Homeworld games. Each one allows the user to travel to any point in the Galaxy instantaneously with no transit or cooldown times.

Watch the 1934 Beast Conflict on my Youtube Channel

Watch the 2005 Vaygr War on my Youtube Channel

The 1928 Levakian Uprising is still referred to as such by both Partogans and Levakians alike, but the Battle of Aoraki is considered the far more important event and is usually discussed more frequently than the Uprising itself.

Reactions:
That's rough about Kiri's past, being disowned by family for serving his nation. Though I think his superiors might not have been displeased with that, after all Kiri is now a servant of the Partogan state and any other loyalties he might have could potentially hamper his work.

And that was a momentous meeting! I'm a bit confused tho. Does the ISO still exist during Blake's regime or is this still during Etienne's?

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's rough about Kiri's past, being disowned by family for serving his nation. Though I think his superiors might not have been displeased with that, after all Kiri is now a servant of the Partogan state and any other loyalties he might have could potentially hamper his work.

And that was a momentous meeting! I'm a bit confused tho. Does the ISO still exist during Blake's regime or is this still during Etienne's?
Kiri's DIA paymasters totally exploited him. You'll find in a future chapter that something slightly similar is happening to Mina. (I wanted "relationship to employer" to be a similarity between the two.)

The ISO does exist during Blake Robinson's administration, but it is nowhere near as powerful or influential as it was during the War of the Paradox. The current ISO Director is Alex Edinger, a very old career politician who used to be Secretary-General of the United Nations of Earth. (He held the post very briefly after the sudden retirement of Sec-Gen Laura Harper in 2058)

Reactions:
Part 5
Happy Thursday, everyone!

The writing challenge continues but has hit its first substantial roadblock. The text below is Part 5 of the story. I have re-written Part 9 half-a-dozen times now. And I mean completely throw it out and start over re-write. By my own rules, I have just over a month remaining to complete this challenge, so I think we're on a good track. Also, today's chapter contains 1,199 words, just one short of the self-imposed ceiling. I get the feeling this will happen a lot.

Anyway, we're moving into the second act. This chapter will contain the start of the "Mina Mystery" as I'm calling it. Like I said, it's a simple puzzle. I'll bet that you, dear readers, can solve this before Kiri does. ;)

Kiri and Mina enjoyed only short moments with each other. Longer encounters typically happened about once a month, and were always worth the wait. Since they had to keep their relationship a secret, Mina and Kiri put their espionage skills to use.

Romantic gifts and trinkets found their way to pre-arranged drop points. One morning, Mina dazzled her handler by wearing a set of jeweled earrings to her shift at the Cosmic Garden. A few days later, Kiri checked a mailbox down the street from his apartment and found a receipt for a nearby hotel. According to the slip of paper, there was a room reserved under one of his pseudonyms name just over three weeks from today.

Kiri and Mina have been secretly dating for just over seven months, but this would be the first time they spent the night together.

Mina spent the past two weeks working on her handler. Dasra Naabal-Sa preferred to keep Mina on a short leash, and it took a lot of time and patience to convince him Mina needed some time to rest.

“You don’t want me to get burnout, do you?” Mina told him. “If I work the nightclub every day and every night for months on end without some time off, I might slip up in front of a guest or a contact or maybe even a target, Sajuuk forbid. I need a break just like any other worker.”

Finally, Dasra relented and agreed to give Mina some time off work.

Kiri had a much easier time getting some time off. The Commonwealth DIA permits their agents a great deal of autonomy, provided they respect the chain of command and report when ordered to do so. Kiri simply had to tell his superiors “I need to go off-grid for a few days” and the DIA provided him with a safehouse, money, and a private Hyperwave network so he could communicate in secret. Kiri assumed the safehouse and private network were being monitored, he used them cautiously. Kiri also got in touch with a member of the Hiigaran Syndicate and they laundered his money for him, making it impossible for the DIA to trace.

With his tracks covered, Kiri prepared for his first night alone with Mina. As it turned out, the hotel she got was clear across the other side of Rotorua, deep in the Human Quarter.

Kiri walked from the wreckyard to the Human Quarter, passing through the Plantoid District along the way. He found Mina leaning against the Tree of Life Sapling in the center of the District. They did not embrace here, that would come later. Mina gave a small signal with her hands. She and Kiri rehearsed this before and he knew what it meant: Mina was being followed. The couple started walking in the same direction. Kiri looked out of the corner of his eye and spotted a single Hiigaran marine, dressed up in ordinary clothing. He had a plasma pistol concealed in his jacket and was staying about two hundred feet behind Mina.

Kiri and Mina made a beeline for the Organic Sanctuary, a portion of the city where Servitor Droids from the Micore Empire had free reign. In this place, the Droids were allowed to fully embrace their “Mandatory Pampering Protocol” and act on it. As soon as Mina and Kiri crossed the border, a dozen M1 Droids closed in on both the couple and the pursuing marine. Mina was quick on the draw.

“My co-worker and I are trying to go here.” She said, pointing out a location on a map of the Megacity. “Can you help us?”

The Droids practically fell over one another to offer their assistance, while a few broke off to accost the marine. In a matter of moments, Kiri and Mina were spirited away. They lost track of the marine.

Sometime before the sun went down, Mina and Kiri entered the Human Quarter and started looking for their hotel. They marveled at the utterly massive number of languages Humans could speak and just how similar some of these people were to both Partogans and Hiigarans.

“It’s hard to believe we were ever enemies.” Mina said. “We all look so much alike.”

“The Progenitors must have had a sense of humor.” Kiri replied. “You ever hear about how the Partogans and Humans are genetically identical? It’s gotta be some kind of cosmic joke.”

Mina could see the resemblance. Kiri could pass for a Human if he changed his eye and hair color. She forced herself to remember how the Partogans and Human Maori used to be the same people a thousand years ago. Kiri, meanwhile, embarrassed himself by trying to speak French to a passing group of Humans. They laughed at him and replied in Arabic.

“That’s the hotel.” Mina said, pointing to a structure up ahead.

Kiri could not read the sign above the door. He knew it was an Asian language, and after a moment, guessed that it was probably Chinese.

An android greeted the pair at the entrance.

“Kon'nichiwa!” The android said. “Please present your receipt.”

Kiri handed over the document, and after a brief scan, the android guided the two of them inside. Along the way, it promised to show “complete discretion” and to respect their privacy. Kiri almost asked why, but as soon as he saw the interior of their room, he understood.

“You... uh… you should have said this was a lover’s hotel.” Kiri said, looking around. “I feel underdressed. I heard Humans had this sort of thing on Earth… never thought I’d find one on Hokianga though.”

Mina giggled, then checked the door to make sure it was locked.

“Blew my mind when I heard about it.” Mina confessed. “But as soon as I found out these were a thing, I knew we had to try it. You ready? I'm hitting the lights...”

Two days later, Kiri was back at work. He and a fellow Partogan spy were holed up in an apartment complex, using the scope of a high-powered sniper rifle to spy on another building down the street. Kiri’s face was pressed into the scope, and he could see the face of a Human diplomat as plainly as though he was in the same room.

Kiri was distracted. The long night with Mina replayed in his mind repeatedly. It was a wonderful memory, but something was lurking in the back of his mind. A thought was bothering him over and over again…

“Hey Tuterangi, I’ve got a question.” Kiri said.

“Shoot.” Tuterangi replied. Then he quickly added: “Wait, don’t shoot Ambassador Kinsella! Just tell me what’s up with you.”

Kiri let out a deep sigh before speaking:

“When you spent the night with your wife for the first time… did she refuse to take off her shirt? Did she insist on keeping the lights off for the whole… you know… the whole time?”

Tuterangi spat out his drink and fell to the floor, convulsing with silent laughter. When he recovered, Tuterangi sat up, looked at Kiri and said:

“Oh, Holy Jericho… Are you being serious? Did you hook up with a local girl?”

“You could say that.”

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Seeing how they use their skill set to be with one another is both wholesome and sad. It must be nerve wracking being constantly on the lookout for listening bugs, other spies and wide mouthed citizens while trying to enjoy the few moments you are allowed with your lover.

Oh and beyond that there's the matter of inter-species romance. Is it widely accepted (ignoring the obvious national rivalry) or is it considered somewhat taboo? And, are the Hiigarians and Partogans compatible?

I hope your writing roadblocks can be surpassed, I'm quite liking this story!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh and beyond that there's the matter of inter-species romance. Is it widely accepted (ignoring the obvious national rivalry) or is it considered somewhat taboo? And, are the Hiigarians and Partogans compatible?
Interspecies romances and marriages enjoy general acceptance from one stellar nation to the next, with a few holdouts where the practice is still discouraged. During this time period, these restrictions could be found in the following space nations:
  • Hiigaran Empire (Low population)
  • The Vaygr Reaches (Xenophobe)
  • Micore Empire (Rogue Servitors)
  • Imperialist Taiidani Faction (Xenophobe)
  • Praku Empire (Only known Lithoids in the Galaxy)
  • Morbuzakh (Hive Mind)
  • Tobari Star Empire (Fanatic Xenophobe)
There is a taboo against interspecies relationships among Hiigarans. This is due to the Hiigaran Empire having the smallest population of the three Galactic Superpowers. There is general pressure on all Hiigarans to make more Hiigarans. The dangerously low population of Hiigara was never brought up in the Stormbreaker Universe because it was not relevant to the main plot, but I did generate some numbers while writing The Last Heroes and I'll share them now:

Immediately after the end of The Last Heroes, the Galactic Superpower planets had the following populations:
  1. Aoraki (Approximately 9 Billion, mostly Levakian)
  2. Earth (Approximately 5 Billion, mostly Human)
  3. Hiigara (Roughly 250 Million, mostly Taiidan)

No such taboo exists among Partogans due to the Commonwealth having access to Interspecies reproduction technology. (Acquired from post-2HW Earth)

By this time period, only three species figured out the science behind inter-species reproduction and were using it on a widespread scale: Humans, Partogans, and Assurians. Since Partogans and Hiigarans are both Humanoid, they do have physical compatibility and can mate, but their genetic differences are too great. Kiri and Mina cannot produce children by natural means. To do that, they'll need the assistance of either:
  • The Aoraki Interspecies Hospital (Aoraki)
  • One of the post-ADVENT Gene Therapy Clinics (Earth)
  • The Imperial Gene Bank (Assuria)

Reactions:
Part 6
Part 6 of 14. The story is now solidly in the Second Act. I now have the entire plot outlined all the way to the ending. Now I just need to figure out how to compress all of this story into such a short format. This is where we really start digging into the little mystery of Mina Soban-Re.

Mina felt as though she was going to be cooked alive.

She, plus two of her fellow Hiigarans, were standing in the outskirts of Toka Wahi, a Rotorua district populated entirely by Lithoids. At first glance, Mina thought this place was a quarry, or a field of boulders and cairns. Huge slabs of rock were piled up all around Mina, and the ground underfoot was like a desert. The climate controls in this district were radically different from the rest of the city.

Out here, it was hot… very hot. The heat was so intense that a shimmering mirage rose up from the ground only feet away, and Mira was sweating so badly that her sweater stuck to her frame as though it were glued in place. It really did not help that Mina was wearing a heavy backpack over her sweater. It looked like the sort of thing a hiker would carry, but contained inside of it was a miniature electronic warfare suite made up of recording devices, scanners, and sensors. The sweater and backpack combined made the oppressive heat so much worse for Mina.

Standing next to her were two more Hiigarans, both members of Kiith Soban, a warrior clan. The trio stood together as three aliens approached. One of them was Ayaan Soban; he was the same soldier Mina and Kiri shook off during their hotel date.

The aliens belonged to a species called the Praku. They were Lithoids, sapient formations of rock and stone that stood nearly ten feet tall. Each Praku was so heavy that the ground shook with each footfall.

Three Hiigarans and three Praku came together in the dusty empty ground outside of the Lithoid district and introduced themselves: Mina Soban-Re and her companions, Roodra Soban-Sa and Ayaan Soban. Roodra stepped forward and began to speak.

“Thank you for agreeing to meet us all the way out here in the middle of nowhere.” Roodra began. “It’s a sign that you respect the traditions my people must adhere to.”

The Lithoids nodded and signaled their willingness to proceed.

Mina groaned internally. She knew what this meant and started to prepare for it. She opened her backpack and produced a canteen, drinking almost half of her water supply. Roodra unfurled a slip of paper and started to read aloud:

“Your application to join Kiith Soban has been heard. You are hereby granted the probationary title of Soban-Re. As you know the Soban Kiith-sa does not grant full rank to anyone who asks. You must earn it. First by forsaking your origins and renouncing your family. Second, by achieving victory in battle. To do that you must participate in a combat exercise set in a neutral environment. Those who defeat their foes will be strongly considered for full rank and status as a new member of the Sobanni. May your elders past guide you well.”

Mina put her backpack on the ground. Nearby, Ayaan Soban took off his top and flexed his muscles. He had the emblem of Kiith Soban tattooed over his chest in blood-red ink, making him look quite terrifying.

“You gonna downgrade?” Ayaan said, pointing at Mina’s outfit. She was wearing a sweater and long cargo pants despite the overwhelming heat.

Mina unzipped her pant legs, converting them into shorts. She tossed the pant legs aside but refused to remove her sweater. Ayaan shrugged. Mina put her right arm behind her back and shook her head.

“Who’s going first?” Ayaan said.

About a thousand yards away, Two Partogans and a Levakian were occupying the uppermost story of an open-top building. These structures without rooftops were designed for members of the Vanian species, who were Avians. A tarp was stretched over them, protecting the trio from the harsh sunlight. A high-powered sniper rifle was protruding through a niche in the wall, and it was aimed toward the spot where the Hiigarans and Praku were meeting. Kiri Ranginui was currently staring down the rifle scope while his companions were tapping away at tablet computers. The Partogan was Tuterangi Patariki, a Green Guard soldier who specialized in military reconnaissance. The Levakian was called Sabelo, and he was a drone operator from the Triple Alliance, a military bloc led by the Commonwealth.

“Our drone has reached its new position.” Sabelo reported. “There’s a lot of movement down there. I think someone is fighting. Can you see anything out there, Kiri?”

Kiri peered through the scope of his rifle.

“I see it.” Kiri said. “Looks like you were right, Tuterangi. They’re engaged in ritualistic combat. Those Lithoids are being inducted into Kiith Soban.”

“How does the combat work?” Sabelo asked. “Do they need to kill their enemy to get in?”

“No, they just need to survive.” Kiri said. “And when you’re fighting a Sobanni, that’s a tall order.”

Kiri tried to hide his smile by adjusting his grip on the rifle. Through the scope, he watched with deep satisfaction as Mina raised her fists and started fighting one of the Praku. Her opponent was nearly three times her size, yet the Hiigaran was able to nimbly dodge and evade each strike. After a few moments, the colossal Lithoid ran out of stamina and collapsed, having failed to strike her even once.

Kiri felt a private sense of elation. He knew he would have to find a way to congratulate Mina on her victory during their next secret meeting. His heart swelling with love, Kiri moved his finger away from the trigger, then relaxed his grip on the sniper rifle.

That was when it happened.

The heat of the day got to Mina. She swayed and then collapsed into the dirt.

“She’s down!” Kiri gasped. “She just fell!”

Sabelo and Tuterangi tapped frantically at their tablets, trying to maneuver the drone into a better positon. Kiri pressed his eye into the scope, desperately trying to see Mina. One of the Hiigarans was opening a bottle of water for Mina to drink. The other Hiigaran drew a pocketknife and began cutting at the large sweater Mina was wearing.

Kiri felt a pang of guilt. He was not expecting this to be the first time he ever saw Mina topless, but a moment later, his guilt was replaced by a mixture of curiosity and alarm.

Just like her companions, Mina had the symbol of Kiith Soban tattooed on her chest. The red emblem, shaped like a dagger, was visible on her skin. However, the tattoo was incomplete and only partially colored in, representing the fact that she was not a full-fledged member of Kiith Soban. But more importantly…

There was a second tattoo.

As Mina’s sweater was cut away from her body, both of her arms were laid bare. Kiri, Tuterangi, and Sabelo could plainly see that Mina had another tattoo on her right forearm. Four symbols spelled out a message in an alien language. The tattoo ran along the inside of Mina’s right forearm in a single line, written in blocky lettering.

“What language is that?” Sabelo asked. “I can see the mark her arm, and I guarantee you, that writing is not Hiigaran.”

“I have no idea.” Kiri confessed. “What’s going on?”

• 1Love
Reactions:
Is Mina spying on the Hiigarans?

Kiri and Mina are very much spies. It was difficult to get out of their jobs, but they managed it. That being said, if the DIA gave Kiri safehouses, wouldn't they expect him to use them frequently? Isn't not using them suspicious?

Neither Mina nor Kiri knows that humans are the same species as Partogans (they mention the Progenitors). Why? Does the common Partogan/human not know this? Is any government actively suppressing the relation?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Aha! We have our mystery. Since Mina decided to fight with the sweater I assume the other Hiigarians didn't know of the second tattoo and the incomplete one (neither must her superiors who wouldn't send her to an initiation ritual if she was not completely initiated herself.). Meaning only maybe the highest of the higher ups know, or maybe even they don't. Or maybe this is all an elaborate deception...

Entering a spy agency with a secret so big and literally tattooed on your chest is quite a risk. If her handler and above didn't know, I can't imagine they'll be happy to find a double crosser in their midst. I would say interrogation chambers are the likely outcome.

But maybe the second tattoo isn't one of allegiance, it can be a message to someone, or some kind of implant.... So many questions!

Oh and do all the Hiigarian Kiiths welcome aliens? And if yes do the ceremonies vary from kiith to kiith?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is Mina spying on the Hiigarans?
She is loyal to Hiigara, but as you'll soon see, Mina's handler does have reason to doubt her commitment to the MCS.

If the DIA gave Kiri safehouses, wouldn't they expect him to use them frequently? Isn't not using them suspicious?
Logically, yes. The chance of Mina and Kiri's relationship being discovered is greater than zero.

Neither Mina nor Kiri knows that humans are the same species as Partogans (they mention the Progenitors). Why? Does the common Partogan/human not know this? Is any government actively suppressing the relation?
Kiri and most Partogans well aware of the connection, but have generally lost interest in Reunification with Humans because of the War of the Paradox. Hiigarans are not suppressing the info, but are actively trying to avoid spreading it around. A second alliance between Earth and Aoraki would doom Hiigara, and the politicians at Assam Kiith'sid know this.

Aha! We have our mystery. Since Mina decided to fight with the sweater I assume the other Hiigarians didn't know of the second tattoo and the incomplete one (neither must her superiors who wouldn't send her to an initiation ritual if she was not completely initiated herself.).
Hmm. Now that the mystery is on, I'll point out a hint that was given away earlier. Mina's full name was repeated in this chaper: Mina Soban-Re. She has the probationary suffix at the end, meaning everyone knows she's a Soban Initiate and not a full member of the warrior clan. Mina still has the emblem of Kiith Manaan tattooed above her eye, suggesting she may not have renounced the nomadic clan.

*Note, members of Kiith Manaan (Mannani) are known to be thrillseekers and can be frequently found in the Hiigaran military. Even though none have been seen in this story so far, it should be assumed that Mina has a few Kiith brothers and sisters nearby.

But maybe the second tattoo isn't one of allegiance, it can be a message to someone, or some kind of implant.... So many questions!
Oh, with thinking like this you may solve the puzzle during the next chapter. ;)

Oh and do all the Hiigarian Kiiths welcome aliens? And if yes do the ceremonies vary from kiith to kiith?
No. It's highly dependent on the clan. Some are not even open to accepting other Hiigarans as members, such as the religious clans Gaalsien and Siidim. (To Gaalsien's detriment, they are very nearly extinct these days)

Perhaps the most open and welcoming Kiith is S'jet. Joining the clan is very easy, provided one has an all-consuming love of science and engineering.

Reactions:
Part 7
Halfway there!

Just like in the Stormbreaker Universe, I used real-life history to build the plot. Can you spot the thinly-veiled references to Cold War events? (Berlin Crisis, USS Kitty Hawk incident)

There was an incident.

Due to some mistake by parties unknown, a Hiigaran warship collided with a Partogan military vessel in high orbit above the planet Hokianga. Both vessels were using cloaking fields to hide from one another and lost contact just long enough for the crash to occur. Several Partogans, Levakians, and Hiigarans were injured, but luckily, no one was killed. Accusations were thrown about. Both sides called for reinforcements.

The space above Hokianga was suddenly full of warships. Hiigaran, Partogan, and Human vessels jockeyed for good firing positions in orbit, aiming their weapons threateningly. Starfighters did flybys of mining stations. Thankfully, no shots were fired, but the situation was quickly descending into a standoff.

At Tripoint Park, the ceremonial border between empires was suddenly militarized. Hiigaran Marines took up defensive positions along the border, staring across the line at Partogan Green Guards and Levakian Hunters. Soon after, Human Space Rangers were posted on their own side of the border, keeping watch over the divided city.

In the Mammalian Quarter, Kiri and several DIA spies were holed up in a safehouse, discussing recent developments and issuing new assignments.

“Everyone needs to be mindful of their surroundings.” Tuterangi was saying. "The Hiigarans have started placing automated sentry guns on rooftops, and the Humans are flying drones over the city. A lot more drones than we’re flying. Also, we’re starting to see armed Hiigaran soldiers patrolling their portion of the city. Hey! Kiri! Are you paying attention?”

Kiri’s head snapped up. He was sitting in a corner of the room with five large books open on the floor around him. Six Partogans and Levakians turned to stare at him.

“My apologies.” Kiri said, wiping sweat off his brow. “I was familiarizing myself with Human languages.”

Kiri looked down in shame; he knew he was going to get in trouble for not paying attention. But he was in for a surprise: Tuterangi rescued him.

“That’s a good idea.” Tuterangi said. “Our intel reports say the UN military is taking advantage of the hundreds of languages spoken on Earth. They are using multi-language training to stop us from understanding their communications."

“The official languages of the UN government are English, French, and the ADVENT Conlang.” Kiri said, absentmindedly pushing one of the books toward the group. “Chinese and Arabic are also widespread. All of these languages are used frequently in the UN military.”

Kiri went back to the textbook he was reading, making a note to thank Tuterangi later.

Tuterangi knew that Kiri was trying to solve the mystery of the tattoo they spotted on a Hiigaran spy a few days ago, and was willing to grant Kiri some leeway. However, Tuterangi did not know that Kiri was having relations with the Hiigaran in question. He just assumed Kiri was running a parallel investigation and allowed Kiri to continue. If the situation called for it, Tuterangi would order Kiri to drop his project and help with this new operation, but that moment just had not arrived yet…

Kiri was immersed in the textbook. On his tablet computer, he displayed a photograph of Mina. It was taken by Sabelo’s drone moments after she collapsed from heat exhaustion in the Lithoid District. He zoomed in on Mina’s tattoo and meticulously copied the symbols onto a sheet of paper. Kiri compared the symbols to his textbook, and after coming up with nothing, he tossed the book aside and opened another. Then, he finally made a breakthrough.

“Arabic numerals!” Kiri gasped out loud.

The other six spies once again turned to look at him. This time, however, they looked interested. Sabelo and Tuterangi sounded excited as they asked what Kiri had discovered.

“Four of the symbols on this tattoo are Arabic numerals!” Kiri said. “She has a four-digit number on her arm!”

At once, all six agents converged on Kiri, offering to help him solve this mystery. Everyone took a textbook or a tablet computer and set to work. A few offered theories. One of the agents, a Partogan woman who specialized in social engineering, offered her thoughts:

“Perhaps she’s a double agent. Maybe she secretly works for the Internal Security Office, the Human spy agency.”

“I don’t think the ISO tattoos their agents.” Kiri replied. “What about the UN military? Doesn’t the Muton Corps use ritualistic tattoos?”

“Yeah, they do.” Replied Sabelo, “But this girl is Hiigaran, not a Muton.”

This only added to the confusion. Wild theories were thrown about while everyone tried to make sense of the mark on Mina’s arm. The trouble was this: a simple four-digit number without context was not much to go on.

After a few moments, the Arabic numerals tattooed on Mina’s arm were translated. This was the number inked onto Mina’s body:

For a few moments, everyone was silent and confused.

“What the hell does that mean?” Someone asked.

“Could it be a year?” Sabelo suggested. “Two-fourteen sounds like a calendar date. What’s the current year on the Human calendar?”

“2096.” Kiri replied. “Right now, the Galactic year is 9683. I highly doubt 0214 is supposed to be a year.”

Kiri’s mouth went dry. If a room full of spies could not solve this mystery, then the tattoo on Mina’s arm had some kind of personal significance to her. She had never told him about a tattoo. In fact, Mina had gone out of her way to hide it from him, refusing to wear short-sleeved shirts, refusing to take off her top in an intimate moment. There was only one possible explanation:

Mina was hiding something.

• 1Love
Reactions:
And now Kiri figures out that something's up.

0214, huh? I don't know what that means - yet.

The Hokianga Situation echoes the Berlin Crisis - let's hope that going nuclear isn't considered here...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Arabic numerals? Didn't see that one coming. If we're lucky it might mean she is involved with the current Blake administration.

If we're unlucky it might be the legacy of Akira and Etienne's reign. The first thing that came to mind was a concentration camp tattoo but, thankfully, as far as I remember Akira never had the chance to reach that stage of her plan (only on the psionic children, but Mina's not psionic is she?).

It could also be a message, not necessarily to humankind, Arabic only chosen because it's a niche language on the galactic scale, maybe the numbers are a code, or a cipher.

Like Kiri I'm quite lost! :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Hokianga Situation echoes the Berlin Crisis - let's hope that going nuclear isn't considered here...
I mean, if cloaked starships are supposed to represent nuclear submarines... ;)

Mina's not psionic is she?
So far Mina has not shown signs of having the Gift; and if she has Psionic Sensitivity, she might never know.

There are ways Mina could find out if she has Sensitivity. She could have been tested when joining the MCS. Depending on her age, she may have been targeted for abduction by the Humans ten years ago. Doubly so if they had reason to think she had Psionic Sensitivity.

Reactions:
Part 8
1200 words exactly! I hit the ceiling so hard my head hurts. So many details got cut out or moved to another chapter to make this one come in under the limit.

I think I found my groove. On average, it takes about five hours to write one of these 3-page chapters, plus an extra four or five for editing and continuity checks. I'm not sure if I'll ever use this short-form style again, but I think I've got a handle on it now.

It was a very busy night at the Cosmic Garden.

The threat of war was driving people into the nightclub, desperate to escape from their troubles. Colored lights flashed while patrons took in all manner of intoxicating food and drink. Nightclub staff made extra money by selling drugs in dark corners. A local band of musicians provided entertainment.

A Vanian was passed out in a far corner, their nostrils caked with powdered Zro. Partogans and Assurians danced the night away. Everyone was smoking cigarettes, the little paper rolls stuffed with either Earth-grown tobacco or Aoraki-grown harakeke.

In the midst of it all, a group of Humans entered the nightclub. One of them, a Russian man, was wearing a baseball cap that had the following words stamped on it in gold lettering:

Combat Veteran – UN Space Rangers
Cape Canaveral – December 25, 2086

The war veteran and his friends immersed themselves in the nightclub scene. They danced, drank, did drugs, and partied some more. One of them paid the band to play a song by Enutanga, a Partogan rock star who lived over 150 years ago and was known for her exceptionally loud music.

One of the Humans split from the group and came back with the manager. He had to speak loudly to make himself heard over the music, but he managed to get his point across. A wad of cash exchanged hands. Then the manager put his arm around the war veteran, speaking in a jovial, friendly voice. After a moment, the manager escorted the war veteran up a flight of stairs to the second floor. Up here, it was much quieter, almost as though the rooms on either side of the hall were soundproofed.

“These private rooms are reserved for our most valuable clients.” The manager said.

The manager was a very big Hiigaran man, covered from head to foot in tattoos, each one a variation of the Kiith Naabal emblem.

“Is that real?” The manager said, pointing at the veteran’s hat. “I’ve got a girl here who loves Space Rangers, and your buddy paid enough to buy a few hours with her. Maybe I could send her up to you? Save you the trouble of having to pick.”

Da spasibo.” Said the veteran, speaking in Russian before switching to the Galactic Common. “Thank you, friend.”

The war veteran entered one of the soundproofed rooms and was pleasantly surprised to see it was furnished like a high class hotel room. The manager told the veteran to drink some alcohol while he waited, and then closed the door.

Out in the hallway, Mina and her handler stood together, looking at a holographic copy of the man now waiting inside the room. Mina took one look at the veteran and recoiled in horror. She looked at Dasra with an expression of hatred and disgust.

“Right then.” He said. “You know the policy. Go in there and get it done.”

“No.” Mina protested. “I don’t… I can’t.”

“You’ve done it before. I’ve seen it.” Dasra replied. “I’ll wait out here and help you clean up afterward.”

Ignoring Mina’s vehement protests, Dasra opened the door and pushed Mina inside. She yelped in fright, lost her footing, and fell face-first into the room.

“You sir, are in for an incredible hour with one of my finest girls.” Dasra said. “Do enjoy.”

“No! Please!” Mina pleaded. “I can’t do this again! I can’t do it anymore!”

“You’re wrong.” Dasra said. “And you’re about to prove it.”

The door closed, leaving Mina alone with the veteran. The man grabbed Mina by the arm and lifted her to her feet. That was when he saw the tattoo on her right arm. Even though he was quite drunk, the veteran’s eyes widened in recognition as he saw the mark stamped onto Mina’s arm. He leered at her, and Mina’s face filled with fear.

The veteran leaned in close to Mina.

“Wow!” He breathed. “Is it really you? Subject two-one-four? You were what, eleven back then? You’ve grown into quite a woman!”

“Don’t touch me again.” Mina snapped at him.

The veteran ignored her, greedily pulling at her dress.

Outside, in the hallway, Dasra could not hear any voices because the walls were soundproofed. The only noise he could pick up on was intermittent thumps and thuds. Whenever a patron came walking down the hall, Dasra intercepted them and used a made-up excuse to send them away. Not a soul traversed the corridor while Mina and the veteran were alone in the private suite.

Finally, after almost twenty-five minutes, the door opened and Mina emerged from the suite. The front of her dress was covered in blood. Mina did not acknowledge Dasra; her eyes stared off into empty space, unblinking. As she stepped away from the scene of horror, Mina pressed a piece of paper into Dasra’s open palm. He read the veteran’s deathbed confession, folded the paper, and put it in his pocket, then he allowed Mina to shuffle away.

As she departed, Mina absentmindedly wiped Human blood of the barrel of her pistol…

Much later that night, about an hour or so before sunrise, Kiri found a handwritten note at one of the drop points he arranged with Mina. It said:

“Kiri. I’m going through some really difficult personal stuff right now. I’m not in trouble or anything, but I really cannot focus on you right now. I promise I’ll contact you again when I’m in a better place. For now, just for now… please leave me alone. Mina.

In his safehouse, Kiri read the note dozens of times, thinking it over. He was fighting a powerful instinct. Kiri wanted to storm into the Cosmic Garden with guns ablaze. He wanted to be the same heroic savior Mina fell for a few months back. However a voice in the back of his mind reminded Kiri of two important things:

First: Mina was an MCS agent and was surrounded by more of the same. A loud and bombastic entry would have a short and bloody ending.

Second: Mina was hiding something from Kiri.

He wanted to help his girlfriend and make her feel better, but this nagging feeling hovered in the back of Kiri’s mind. It ate away at his ability to trust Mina’s word. Something was afoot, something Mina wanted to keep Kiri far away from.

Finally, Kiri made a decision. He would help Mina, but he was also going to get answers. Kiri crossed the safehouse and picked up his encrypted radio.

“Tuterangi, it’s Ranginui.” Kiri said. “I need a second body for a high-risk investigation. You available?”

“Ranginui, Tuterangi here.” Replied Kiri’s compatriot. “What have you got in mind?”

“I’m running my own investigation.” Kiri explained. “The situation is sensitive, you cannot tell DIA leadership what I’m up to, understood? I need you to follow me and observe the people I talk to for a few hours.”

“We’re brothers-in-arms, Ranginui. You have my trust and silence.” Tuterangi replied. “Does this have something to do with that Hiigaran girl? Where are you going?”

“Yes it does. She’s in deep.” Kiri replied. “So I’m going right into the enemy’s lair: the Cosmic Garden.”

• 1Love
Reactions:
So... Mina either is or was a prostitute?

I kind of feel sorry for Tuterangi. He has no clue what he's getting into.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So she was an abductee! That sure is traumatic stuff right there. But it means she might have some psionic sensibility... Does her handler know?

Since the veteran appeared quite proud of his role as a space ranger (and unbothered to meet one of the alien children kept in Canaveral) I guess that Blake's Truth and Reconciliation Commission still has some work to do. How widespread is human supremacism and support for the previous regime amongst the humans?

• 1Like
Reactions:
So... Mina either is or was a prostitute?

I kind of feel sorry for Tuterangi. He has no clue what he's getting into.
"Is" and she definitely was not given a choice in the matter. Dasra has alternated between using Mina as bait for the trap and as the trap itself.

So she was an abductee! That sure is traumatic stuff right there. But it means she might have some psionic sensibility... Does her handler know?

Since the veteran appeared quite proud of his role as a space ranger (and unbothered to meet one of the alien children kept in Canaveral) I guess that Blake's Truth and Reconciliation Commission still has some work to do. How widespread is human supremacism and support for the previous regime amongst the humans?
Correct! :D Mina Soban-Re is one of the 214 alien children seen during the big rescue sequence in the final chapters of The Last Heroes! Bit of an Easter Egg here.

At an absolute bare minimum, Mina has displayed some level of sensitivity to Psionics in the past. There's no other reason Akira and her allies kept Mina alive at such a late stage in the war.

The Robinson administration is working their tails off to stamp out Human Supremacism. It's a two-pronged operation:
  1. Akira's followers have to be detained and extradited to Earth. This task is carried out by the Reclamation Agency, a counterterrorist organization under the leadership of former protagonist Inez Espinosa.
  2. The Global Truth and Reconciliation Commission has to put the accused on trial and if a conviction is obtained, dish out the punishment.
This story is set a decade after The Last Heroes, support for the previous administration has basically bottomed out as the Human Supremacists have been actively suppressed for ten years now. That being said, it won't be much longer until Blake Robinson becomes "the previous regime." In my mind he never served more than two terms as UN leader.

Reactions:
Part 9
You know, when you're done watching me torture myself with this writing challenge, you could cast your vote in the 2022 Yearly AARland Year-End AwAARds. All of your favorite writers from all corners of AARland will love you for it. Especially writers from the Victoria III and Crusader Kings III AARlands.

Background trivia: "Freya Kinsella" is an unused element from The Last Heroes. She was supposed to be a minor supporting character during the third act of the story, but I was worried the readers may not react well to her, so Freya was deleted from the story and all of her scenes and dialogue were given to other characters. Saw a chance to reuse the character here and seized it.

“Can you hear me, Ranginui? I need to make sure you can hear each and every repetition of the phrase ‘you are an idiot.’ How copy?”

Kiri nodded his head slowly, then adjusted his hair so the tiny device attached to his head was hidden from view.

“I see the Hiigaran girl you’re investigating.” Tuterangi spoke into Kiri’s ear. “Mina Soban-Re is her name, right? She’s waiting tables on the far side. Wait a few more seconds before you enter. On my mark… go!”

Moving briskly and with confidence, Kiri entered the Cosmic Garden.

“Here for lunch?” Asked a Hiigaran waiter. “We’ve got a table overlooking the Aquatic District.”

“That’s in Mina’s zone. Take it!” Tuterangi instructed.

Kiri allowed the host to take his coat. (the pockets were empty) Then he took the window seat. Within moments, Mina swept over to his table. She looked enchanting in a slim dress with matching elbow length gloves.

When Mina saw Kiri, she froze up for half a second, her face flashed an expression that said: “What the hell are you doing here!?

Kiri ordered a drink. When she stepped away, Mina turned on a television for Kiri to watch. Kiri looked around and saw that all of the patrons were watching the same news story:

Freya Kinsella was attempting to mediate the ongoing tensions between Aoraki and Hiigara. Kiri had seen this name a few times before. Freya was a Human diplomat who recently took a promotion. Just a few short weeks from now, Freya would become Deputy Secretary-General and be one heartbeat away from ruling the United Nations of Earth.

While the red-haired diplomat continued talking on the screens, Kiri gazed around. He aimed his face to a target while Tuterangi talked into his head through the concealed transceiver.

“Okay, I can see you from here and I’ve got a good view inside the building.” Tuterangi said. “MCS agents at your front and right. There are fifteen employees in the restaurant now. Thirteen of them are confirmed hostiles; two are locals, allegiance unknown. Concealed weapons, mostly pistols. There’s a rotary plasma cannon behind the bar and a fully automated sentry gun concealed behind the wall panel just to the left of the musician’s stage. I detect a Hyperwave beacon on the second floor above you. Your girl is talking to someone in the kitchen.”

“Can you tell me anything about him?” Kiri asked.

“Not much.” Tuterangi said. “Behind too many walls, the signal is being scattered. All I can say is that she’s talking to a Humanoid. Most likely another Hiigaran. She’s coming back out now.”

Mina emerged from the kitchen, carrying a platter of food with her. It was Kiri’s lunch order. She was smiling a little, but Kiri could tell the emotion was fake. Mina was upset.

“Act normal. You’re being scanned.” Tuterangi said. “The girl is wired for audio. Keep conversation light. Two hostiles are watching you.”

“I’ve never seen a Human with red hair.” Kiri remarked as Mina set his food down. “Red anything on a Humanoid body seems real strange, doesn’t it?”

“Oh, you’ve never met a Sobanni then.” Mina replied. “If you ever visit the Bridge of Sighs or the Shining Hinterlands, look out for the people with big red tattoos. Of course, you might get to see a Sobanni warrior when my people go to Aoraki to get our stolen Hyperspace Core.”

Mina finished her sentence with the vague threat. Her show of animosity toward a Partogan caught the attention of several other Hiigarans. Kiri heard a few sniggers around the room from the rest of the staff. Mina gave him a very mischievous look as she walked away. Kiri settled in to eat his lunch and watch the news. About six minutes later, Tuterangi spoke up again.

“Oh, this’ll be interesting.” Tuterangi said. “The big guy just called your girl into the back room. Get the sticky bug out now and put it on your plate. Let the girl take it.”

Kiri reached into his pocket and produced what appeared to be a block of chewing gum. He stuffed it in his mouth and mashed it with his teeth, carefully making sure not to crush the tiny cluster of nanomachines inside. Then he placed the gum on his plate, wedged between two bits of food. On her way back to the kitchen, Mina collected Kiri’s plates and took them with her. From his hiding spot across the street, Tuterangi used his computer to activate the nanobots. Now he and Kiri could eavesdrop on Mina’s conversation with her handler. Kiri pretended to be transfixed by the news broadcast, listening to the feed from the eavesdropper bots:

“Hold up.” Said the handler. “I need you to look at these photographs.”

Mina closed the kitchen door.

“That’s a Human.” Mina replied.

“Look closer.” The Handler grunted. “Intel says this man was at Cape Canaveral on the day everything happened.”

“Sure… but I don’t recognize him.” Mina replied.

“Don’t do this again.” The Handler replied. “I really, truly don’t get what’s wrong with you. Don’t you remember what these men did? You were there; you saw everything! Don’t deny it!”

“I know.” Mina said weakly. “I do remember, but…”

“Then you know what we need to do.” The Handler replied. “Now tell me, did you see this man at Canaveral!?”

“So what if I did!?” Mina snapped. “That doesn’t instantly mean he was in on it! He’s not guilty of anything just because he was there!”

And then there was a loud smacking sound. It was so sudden that Kiri jumped from surprise and had to pass it off as a very bad hiccup, drinking copious amounts of water. Mina let out a soft cry, as though she was in pain.

“Are you really that stupid!?” The handler demanded. “Why the hell would you try to protect these people after everything we did to save you from them!? Now tell me, was this scumbag at Canaveral, either on the day of or any day before it?”

“Yes!” Mina sobbed. “I saw him, okay! He was at Canaveral, yeah. I saw him working on a machine. He was probably an engineer.”

“Good.” Said the handler. “That’s all I needed to know.”

“Wait!” Mina cried out. “Don’t kill him! He had nothing to do with it! He probably didn’t even know what was happening until afterward!”

“He’s just as guilty as the rest.” The Handler said. “Now clean yourself up and get back out there.”

Mina continued begging, but Kiri did not hear the rest. Tuterangi broke into the feed:

“Hey, Kiri. Sorry to make you dine and dash, but we’ve got a problem. Get out of there and head for a safehouse as quick as you can.”

Kiri stood up and flagged down another waiter, attempting to pay his tab. On the TV screen, Kiri could see why Tuterangi was alarmed. The news report was displaying a red banner at the bottom of the screen with the words:

HUMAN AMBASSADOR DETAINED BY COMMONWEALTH AUTHORITIES.

The image on the screen now displayed a Human woman with red hair being thrown to the ground by a Partogan soldier.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Mina's handler seems to have a very "shoot first, then shoot again" approach to his job. Not very surprising, since he's military intelligence tasked with fighting the 'enemies' of his nation. However I can't imagine his methods evoke much personal loyalty or appreciation amongst his agents.

Mina's insistence in a more lawful trial for those working at Canaveral is both inspiring and surprising.

And now Kiri is caught up in another crisis, but national instead of personal in scope. I can't imagine what Freya must've done to make the Partogans act in such a rash and un-diplomatic manner.

• 1Like
Reactions: