• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

noddysseus

Field Marshal
29 Badges
May 20, 2002
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Diplomacy
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
Introduction

I have decided to start a new game of EU2, and my choice of country has been Portugal. I am playing the Grand Campaign scenario with the latest official patch, 1.08 and nothing more. Simply vanilla.

I have not written a single player AAR before, so please bear with me. Criticise where necessary and praise scarcely.

My objectives as Portugal is to follow their early history and discover a route to India via going east and by sea. I will be interested in colonial pursuit and will as much as possible stay out of any political problems Europe faces.
As time goes on, I will be interested in consilidating what I have, with continuing growth, but no more or no less aggression. That is my plan, so you can hold me to it.

So I hope you all enjoy this AAR as much as I will hope to. I will devote as much time as I can, and make the time scopes as short as I can when I am not updating the actual game. At the moment I have already started the game, so expect the first chapter to begin tonight.

Until then

Chapter 1: Reign of King João I: 1419 - 1433

Part 1: Preparation for exploration

Current Portuguese Cartography

known_world.jpg

Portugal and it's colonies

orig_possessions.jpg

War with Fez

tangiers_war.jpg

The reign of King João I began with a war with Fez. This was to be the first of the country's ambitions. João had prepared to invade Fez a year before, and together with the 22 ship strong Portuguese fleet, 20,000 men invaded Tangiers made up of 15,000 foot soldiers and 5,000 knights. The flat terrain was perfect for the offensive. Fez attacked firstly in Tangiers in February with 12,000 men, but were beaten back.

The army of 'Reconquistadores' quickly went on the offensive after this small victory. This was certainly reconquering. Revenge for the occupation of our ancestor's lands years before. Driving forward, hot on the heels of the retreating Fez army, another battle was won outside the walls of the capital of Fez in early April. The siege began.

Meanwhile the Portuguese fleet arrived in the Gibraltar staits with the rest of the Portuguese army. A small Algiers fleet, Fez' neighbouring country who was allied, attacked but was quickly sunk to the bottom of the shallow strait. The Army of Almeida was destined to land in Tangiers. Led by the charismatic leader Pereira, a man chosen months before by the King himself to lead the conquest, took charge of the siege of Tangiers at the same time.

A counterattack was organised against the Reconquistadores army sieging Fez, by an allied force of Algiers and Fez, but was beaten back. Heavy losses were taken, and it was feared the siege would fall if another attack was made. Pereira decided to switch fields of battle, and so ordered the Army of Reconquistadores to Tangiers. By the end of May both armies had switched provinces and both sieges resumed.

Several other counter-attacks were repelled by Pereira, who detached all his knights to guard the siege. Each attack was mown down by the well trained knights of Porto, and each army was destroyed.
Early in Januray 1420, the capital Fez fell to Pereira. He drove east to Orania where Algiers were pushed further back. Finally at the end of May Tangiers fell, and a peace deal was sent to Fez.
On 1 June, Fez ceded Tangiers and accepted to become our vassals. Celebrations took place back in Lisbon.
Fez were to dissapear soon after, loosing a war to Morocco and as a result being annexed.

At home in Portugal many other events were taking place. The colony of the Azores, which was only a recent acquistion found by one of Prince Henry the Navigator's commissioned explorers, began to receive an influx of colonists. By mid 1421, the colony had reached non-colonial status and baliffs were called upon to tax the new population.

The biggest event to happen was the passing of new Social reforms by the King. These reforms made way for more explorations to be undertaken as well as strengthening the importance of trade for the country. Aristocrats felt dismayed and abandoned by the 'People's King'!

After the war ended in North Africa, the Portuguese Crown army was disbanded by half. The total army by 1422 numbered 17,000 men. 5,000 cavalry were kept along with 12,000 men. Their orders were to watch the devious Arabs in Tangiers and oppress any revolts. Pereira was to govern the city until all was calm.
In September 1420 we suggested an alliance with Castile. This was a wise diplomatic move, which the King had been suggesting to his courtiers in the past few months. It would only go to help relations between the borders.

The alliance came to the test in March 1423 when Castile declared war upon Granada. We quickly followed their declaration, but took no part in the land battle. However the Portuguese fleet was sent on patrol along the North African coast, to keep Granada's allies at bay: Algiers (again). Small battles took place, but no ships were lost. Those that were damaged returned to Tangiers for repair. However our fleet was successful in stopping Algiers mount any invasions.
The war ended for us prematurely in June 1425. Due to a Tangiers uprising and growing weariness at home, the King was forced to sue for white peace.
However it didn't intefer with Castile as they took Gibraltar in the pursuing peace agreement with Granada in November the next year.

January 1425 saw the completion of the ships destined for the exploration of the West African coast. The explorer: Diego de Senill. His explorations and the end of King João I's reign shall continue in Part 2 of Chapter 1.....

Last edited:
Rubruk said:
Great, Portugal!

Please describe the explorations, that is some of the most interesting part of EU2.

Legionary16 said:
you have interesting goals, and an interesting country to play with.
I'll be waiting for the first update

Deflare said:
Hmm, interesting. So I assume you'll be using the Spanish powers as shields, then? Well, good luck.

Thank you all. Please spare the praise. I just want you all to enjoy this as much as I will take pleasure from it.

To answer both questions;

Yes I will describe the explorations as best I can. They are the most important part of my AAR, and I will be putting most emphasis on exploring and colonising.

I am currently allied to Castile. However this will only please me as long as it needs to. No doubt events will change things for the best/worst and I will end up finding different allies along the way. Spain will of course become my rivals towards the start of the 16th century. ;)

Next update soon. I promise!

Chapter 1: Reign of King João I: 1419 - 1433

Part 2: The first explorations

Diego de Senill received his patronage from King João on New Year's Day 1425. (a custom that was to be followed througout Portuguese history on the first day of a new year. However his first voyage was delayed due to the ongoing war with Algiers, which was drawing the navy's resources to the Northern coast of Algiers.

de Senill was one of the first explorers to receive a commission from the monarchy. He graduated from the school at Sagres, setup by Prince Henry the Navigator. Sagres was the brainchild of Henry and was to become an important factor in the countries quest to explore.

In support of his exploration, a diplomatic move was made in the court of Castile. Castile agreed to share their maps in return for Portuguese maps. It was learnt that Castile knew little more than Portugal did about the coast of Africa, even though Castile had founded a colony in the Canaries. However it was reported back that some Spanish sailors had spotted other islands further south of the Canaries. As a result King João ordered de Senill to find these islands.

The new maps given by Castile added further knowledge of the seas west and south of the Canaries. It was now up to de Senill to continue discoveries for Portugal, and for the European world!

Altogether de Senill went on 8 expeditions during João's reign as King. Here is a map of the routes he took and where he discovered:

desenill_discoveries.jpg

His most notable discovery was of course the Cape Verdes Islands. These were the islands that the Spanish had mentioned spotting. In September 1428, on his fourth voyage, de Senill sailed towards where the islands were supposed to be situated. On the 11th of October land was discovered by the flagship. On landing on the island, which happened to be the main island, it was discovered it was uninhabited. 23 of the crew stayed behind and founded a settlement. The rest of he rest of the islands were circumnaviagated, and de Senill eventually arrived back in Tangiers early the next year, bringing news of his discovery.

Once news arrived at João's court, he instantly prepared a subsidy for any person willing to found a trading company on the island. 4 attempts were made. All failed. Unfazed by this João offered new subsidies to anybody willing to found a colony on the island. The first attempt failed, but the second colonisation attempt succeeded. The island's harbour was the first construction. This was to be an strategic island for further explorations.

During the period 1425 - 1433, the country was involved in one war. Navarra declared war on Castile in February 1428. Her allies; England and Aragon joined the war, whilst we joined the war on Castile's side. This caused a stir in the court of Aragon, especially since the recent marriage between King Alfonso V's nephew and João's daughter.
It was decided that this war would not be pursued on aggressive grounds. We would defend our homeland from invasion but no agressive campaigns would be made.

However one slight problem was overlooked. The Azores were left ungarrisoned and as a result England sent an invasion force. When news reached João, he ordered the deportation of the governer of the island. Portugal would have to face the consequences for this mishap. João decided to allow the English occupy the island until the war was over.

The war ended up a costly one for Castile. She was forced to cede Leon and Cantabria to Navarra. Castilian diplomats seemed a bit annoyed by our lack of effort to war, but this was not to damage the alliance overall.

Two final events took place during the latter period of João's reign. By 1431 he had become quite reclusive and it was his courtiers doing most of the administrative work with the governing with the country. However, João ordered diplomats to be sent to various Eastern Mediterranean countries, after advice from his brother Prince Henry the Navigator. It was felt, if we ever wanted to find a way towards India, that it would be a good idea to have a fair idea of what sort of water and lands we would be encountering once we reached there.

The Knights were asked first. They refused. Georgia were asked next. They also refused. We even asked the country that patented Marco Polo's expedition to India. They refused us. Our last bet was Cyprus. Thankfully they accepted. The new maps were gratefully accepted:

cyprus_maps.jpg

Finally, on January 1 1433, Gil Eanes graduated from Sagres and received patronage from João to discover more of Africa. He was also instructed to find new lands suitable for a new trading post and or colony.
This was the last patronage given by King João I. On August 7th he died. A grand funeral took place on the 13th and by the 15th Duarte had become the new King.
João I had left a legacy, if not in his reforms, at least in the map of Portuguese lands:

joao_world.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the gap from part 1 to part 2. I am a bit busy at the moment with exams so unfortunately I am not able to update this as much as I would like.
It also means I may not update this for another week, week and a half at most.

Anyway if anyone has any suggestions or whatever please say so, especially with the image with de Senill's explorations... it kinda looks a bit messy to me...

Anyway enjoy! Chapter 2 as soon as I can.

On a side note - Sagre's school is a myth ;)

Nice going otherwise! keep it up and bring us to glory! :)

Mettermrck said:
Oh good, a Portuguese exploration AAR. I can pick up some pointers. I'm always the victim of attrition when I try it.

Yes I had the same problems with de Senill's expeditions. By about the 3rd or 4th one he had only 1 ship left after starting with 3.
The problem is the such low naval tech level that one starts off with in the GC.
One just has to be careful and conservative when exploring.

th3freakie said:
On a side note - Sagre's school is a myth ;)

Nice going otherwise! keep it up and bring us to glory! :)

Yes, didn't it fall into the sea, supposedly in the 16th century or something?

By the way, I should have a new update up by Saturday night and then I should get things flowing along nicely after that. ;)

It sounds great but I doubt the Pope would sanction a wedding between two women. (niece from Aragon,and daughter from Portugal)

Last edited:
Alamgir said:
It sounds great but iI doubt the Pope would sanction a wedding between two women. (niece from Aragon,and daughter from Portugal)

Ha! Sorry about that. Edited and I will write a letter of forgiveness to the Pope! :eek:o

Fine, you have already discovered some part of the world.

Military access and map sharing can help a lot.

Concerning Pearse in your signature: when did he say this, in 1916?
Where did he die?

Dear, Duarte

You, your kingdom, and your people are forgiven. The same for Aragon. Your letter swayed me greatly as I was most offended by this action. But now the Catholic world recognises this as nothing more than a joke. I've heard something of your countries explorations and I hope you would try to Catholicize the heathens you come across. And I wish you safety as surely there must be demons in these uncharted lands.

Sincerely,
Pope Eugenius IV

(Great job by the way, I always get my explorers killed because I send them on suicide missions.)

Dear Eugenius IV.

Your holiness, I promise to colonise any lands discovered by Portugal and claim them for the Christian world. I shall personally oversee the pursuit of religious establishments, and I hope that God shall be pleased with us, Portugal.

Please pray for our brave explorers as they go where no men have gone before, fighting demons and odd creatures no doubt.

Thank you for your pardon also. I shall never make such a silly mistake again as to leave you hanging, thinking that such evil goes on in the court of Portugal.

PS. In just over half a century there will be a 'thing' called the Treaty of Tordesillas. If you could put a good word in for us for this 'thing' and just make sure your successors know that would be great. ;)

Yours faithfully,

Duarte

(PS. Next update cancelled till Wednesday. Sorry :( )

Dear Duarte,
I know not of what you speak, either you are filled with the divinity, or you have witches in your court. I will see that there is an inquisition of sorts in all of Iberia in the future, as I fear the Muslim invaders have left witches to draw men of grandeur from the lord. But if this "treaty" comes to pass you will get the riches of the East as they are of more importance I believe. All thats in the West is a vast emptiness of ocean. And, if this happens, why should there be a treaty, you are the only nation so brave as to explore the unknown.

Sincerely,
Eugenius IV

Chapter 2: Reign of King Duarte: 1433 - 1438

The prevailing change

Duarte, eldest son of João became king on August 15th 1433. He swore to continue the work that his father had begun and as a result allowed Prince Henry, his brother as much freedom as before.

The political situation in Europe was extremely complexed at the time. Central Europe was seeing constant change due to raging wars erupting from unbalanced alliances. The greatest looser was Austria who in the 5 years lost half of their provinces; Bern to Strassburg, Steiermark & Mantua to Venice and Ostmarch to Bohemia.

Europe at the beginning of Duarte's reign

duarte_europe.jpg

Duarte like his father decided to keep the isolation and peace at home. The alliance with Castile was kept, but relations cooled. Castile who had dowed Granada in a final attempt to rid the Moors from the Iberian Peninsula prior to Duarte's rise to the throne, were given no aid by our armies in the war. As a result it wasn't until late 1437 that Castile finally annexed Granada.

Duarte's first step was to allow missionaries to send a mission to Tangiers. Duarte, a devout Catholic who had a great friendship with Pope Eugenius IV had openly offered his desire to convert 'heathen religions to the one true faith'. Through military threat and efficiency, the mission was a success, and the majority of Tangiers were converted.

Army maintenance was cut, in a further effort to cut costs in order to allow more resources for exploration. Scientists were encouraged to use the new Arabian discoveries in instruments, which gave Portugal a cutting edge in Naval technology in the Mediterranean, along with the Italian states.

Colonisation was however not on Duarte's cards. Only one further attempt to enlarge the colony of Cape Verde Islands was made (which was succesful) along with a successful founding of a colony in Fernando Po (strategic).

It was the exploring of the recent discoveries along the African coast which Duarte was most interested in. Henry emphasised the importance in continuing to explore a route to India via sea, which Duarte shared. Gil Eanes' was the mariner trusted upon to continue the discovering.

de Senill however continued exploring the seas around the Cape Verde Islands. On his first exploration between 1433-34 he discovered further seas to the north and west of the islands. On his second and final expedition under Duarte's reign, he sailed south of the islands, unfortunately however his ship was wrecked in a storm in 1435 and he was never heard from again.

de Senill's final expeditions

desenill_finale.jpg

Eanes' first expedition lasted almost a full year, when in 1434 he sailed as far as the Coast of Cameroon, discovering Fernando Po, along with also discovering the nations of Ashanti and Benin in Western Africa.
The discovery of Fernando Po was extremely important due to the need for a new supply point to allow for further expeditions along the coast of Africa.

Gil Eanes' three expeditions

eanes_discoveries.jpg

However the foundation of a colony on the island took a year and a half due to failed attempts, which undoubtably delayed a new expedition by Eanes.
He finally was able to set sail from the new colony in May 1436. This his second expedition took several months, where he discovered Rio Muni to the south and the Gulf of Guinea to the west. Eanes final expedition during the time of Duarte began in March 1437 when he sailed further south. On this expedition Eanes charted the waters of the Gulf of Congo, the Coast of Angola and even as far as Wavin Bay. He also landed ashore along the coast and his chief cartographer was able to return back with greatly detailed maps of these new lands, vastly covered by Jungle seperated by the great Congo river.

All these new discoveries were greatly welcomed by Duarte. So pleased as he was, he began to plan for new colonies to be founded along the Coast of the Congo river. But alas tragedy struck. Duarte was stricken by a terrible fever in the extreme heat of July 1438, and on August 30th he was pronounced dead after he failed to awake from a long sleep. His successor was his six year old son, who became Alfonso V.

Duarte's reign was important for the continuing attempt to make Portugal the number one seafaring power and first European overseas empire. He did not interrupt the great work begun by his father, and also stayed away from tempting bankrupting wars in Europe. However his short reign never allowed his potential and promise to be realised and so Duarte was soon forgotten as Portugal grew and grew...

Last edited:
Poor Duarte, he died before his greatness was achieved. A tragedy for Portugaul and the Catholic world. His greatest achievement was the conversion of Tangiers.