• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hartmann

Kaiser v.G.G. (abdicated)
1 Badges
Oct 20, 2000
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis IV
For those interested, our old site is still up:

http://www.ludd.luth.se/~doomdark/EU/IGC.html

Doomie was the one who singlehandely programmed the famous IGC config which made playing minors so comfortable and allowed for various starting conditions in one scenario. He also programmed various other tools which made modding work easier for me (but which the user as such did not see).

My job was doing research, writing the scenario files and organizing the efforts of all the great people who helped us so immensely with their contributions.

Incidentally, the label "Improved Grand Campaign" and the acronym is due to me. The very first IGC threads were these two:

http://www.europa-universalis.com/f...readid=3671&highlight=improved+grand+campaign

http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3640&highlight=my+homegrown

Though even before that Doomie already had begun a project of gathering leaders for minor nations, which then was integrated into the IGC, too.

Actually, Doomie and me quite independently of each other began toying around with the game files (in wordpad), but we soon found that combining our efforts would make for a much better mod. From then on, the IGC really began to take off.

Even if the mod never reached perfection, and even if it eventually became heavily outdated with EU2, I'd say it was worth it.
If you read those old threads you will find how many historical errors we made in the beginning ... actually the time period was not my area of competence to begin with ... and I really learned a lot during our project.

We sure had a great time back then, and I wouldn't want to exchange the experience for anything (well, *mostly* anything ... ;)).:)

Hartmann

Last edited:
Very nice story. I think this thread should be stickied actually. :)

By the way, do we have your permission to use the name IGC2? I actually just sent you a PM before you posted this. Also, you are much more than welcome to help in this project. :)

Captain Krunch: sure you have the permission ... I just used "grand campaign' and put the word "improved" in front - I find the very idea funny that this could be copyrighted. :D

I confess that I do not yet really fully grasp how your project will differ from the EEP which also has scenario modifications other than just events. I guess you may want to think about this for a while longer to find out how best to sharpen your own profile (and avoid inventing the wheel twice).
Maybe write some sort of "frontend" like the IGC had? Or maybe you want to choose another starting point than 1419 - like the IFU people did. Apart from this I say "let many flowers bloom" ... I remember that even while the IGC was in its heydays there were a lot of other great scenarios around, e.g. those of General Suvurov.

Anyway, good luck and have fun with the project. :)

Hartmann

Edit: Oh, and thanks for the kind offer to let me participate, but my time as a scenario maker has definitely come to an end ... because of my job, I simply can't afford it anymore. You will soon find out yourself how much sparetime such a project demands, even if many kind people are helping ... I hope this doesn't sound too daunting ... :D Again, all the best! :)