A brief comparrission to Sim City 4

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

sys_64738

Sergeant
11 Badges
Sep 21, 2018
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
Hi People,

I just want to draw a line to the old king of city builders in 2018 - or at least the last days of 2018.

I dare to say that Citiies Skylines is out there to challenge the cities builder's masterhoood - and it quite prettty nice does the job.

CitiesSkylines has reached a stage where it can challenge Sim City's 4 dominance and there are only a few things left. To make it short, I'll name these few things where SimCity 4 still excells:

1. Service building funding.
In SC4, every servirce building can be fundeed individually. If possible, it really would be be nice to do this in Skylines, too.
2. Wealth - Stages and jobs are a bit more diversing.
In SC4, you have to provide the fittin' jobs for educated/wealthy people.

Skylines is a new and sattisfying take on the old genre - but the the old challenge should still remain. :)

Otherwise, there are only a few to no complains about this game.

SimCity 4 is still the number #1 out there - but you got the right tools and the right attitude to crack this one... and it's not an easy one at all.

Skylines is about to be the name of the city builder genre. And this is a real big one!

Best regards,
sys

Interesting. I feel like a lot of that comes out of nastalgia, which I understand, but when given the choice I'm not sure anyone would pick SC4 (which was an excellent game) over CS.

Hi People,

I just want to draw a line to the old king of city builders in 2018 - or at least the last days of 2018.

I dare to say that Citiies Skylines is out there to challenge the cities builder's masterhoood - and it quite prettty nice does the job.

CitiesSkylines has reached a stage where it can challenge Sim City's 4 dominance and there are only a few things left. To make it short, I'll name these few things where SimCity 4 still excells:

1. Service building funding.
In SC4, every servirce building can be fundeed individually. If possible, it really would be be nice to do this in Skylines, too.
2. Wealth - Stages and jobs are a bit more diversing.
In SC4, you have to provide the fittin' jobs for educated/wealthy people.

Skylines is a new and sattisfying take on the old genre - but the the old challenge should still remain. :)

Otherwise, there are only a few to no complains about this game.

SimCity 4 is still the number #1 out there - but you got the right tools and the right attitude to crack this one... and it's not an easy one at all.

Skylines is about to be the name of the city builder genre. And this is a real big one!

Best regards,
sys
I disagree with you, in my opinion, and I believe also other people would agree with me, Cities Skylines has already kicked any other city builder from their respective throne.
I wouldn't pick to play SC 4 any time in my near or far future. Specially struggling with the thousands of different buildings and props you could download. After downloading those buildings you could still download the double amount of props and whatever else those buildings needed.
SC 4 is also missing the proper 3D rotation you have in Cities Skylines.
Those two things you are mentioning are not really a big issue to me. Yes it would be nice to individually adjust any buildings budget although this would also be a very micromanaging and rather an annoyances. I do not really wish do click every single building to adjust their funding's.
There is no proper wealth in Cities Skylines and at the moment I'm not sure if that is necessary.

Every game should have their own challenges.

But yeah everyone is having their own liking. ;)

What's a SimCity?

Sorry, I can't hear you over how awesome C:S is. :)

Seriously, I've played city sims since SC1. C:S is so very much beyond the last SC release.

I played SimCity on the C-64. Pretty primitive looking back at it, but I enjoyed it immensely. Last one I played was "SimCity 4 Deluxe". Enjoyed it at the time, but it's been so long I don't remember much about it.

There is no proper wealth in Cities Skylines and at the moment I'm not sure if that is necessary.
If I recall correctly, the game actually does have a wealth system. It's just not used at all, hence why it seems like it doesn't. A working wealth system would be very desirable at this point of development. The citizens just seem so lifeless and dry now.

What I liked about SC4.. was also that you could sell your garbage, excess power water and so on.. neighbor deals.. also that you could make outside connections... I know with mods you have an entire Island or with the editor you can make connections.. but if you play vanilla with 9 tiles I woud be great to make outside connections..
I also miss the large schools option.. and you could make the landfill as large as you wanted. and you could drive around the city and throw money out the window from your mayor limo.
I also miss the beaches.. ;)
and the raised metro :D

But C.S. have come along way.. it's has always been a nice game.. and the level of datails has only gone up. from every DLC.. I wouldn't be fair to make a direct comparison of these to games, other than if you likes SC4 You will most likely enjoy CS aswell..

I myself I'm going to try CS on PC (((mods))) next month and can't wait.. And I do hope it's going to be a smooth transition in the the PC side of this game :)

I believe also other people would agree with me, Cities Skylines has already kicked any other city builder from their respective throne.

Nope, not at all. Cities Skylines is a very good game, but it lacks a lot of actual management features that Simcity 4 had. There are a lot of examples such as:

- It was actually possible to build realistic rural villages in SC4 vanilla. That is simply not possible in Cities Skylines, where your tiny village of 200 people will demand the same things that your city of 200,000 does.

In fact, I had entire maps (large tiles) where I managed to build a realistic "commuter nation" thing where villages dotted the forested outskirts of the map, each with a few hundred people, who commuted to work in the rich industrial town in the middle.

- In SC4, there was an approval rating system, and you had to keep an eye on that. Meanwhile it is actually very hard to make your citizens unhappy in Cities Skylines and your citizens are always happy for some reason. Happiness simply doesn't matter in this game.

- SC4 was more realistic in that if you made your citizens live in squalid conditions they didn't simply pack up and leave at the slightest discomfort. They would try to deal with their problems for a while, allowing you to build realistic cities with poor services if you wanted.

You could actually see their condition within the game - when you cut off garbage collection you could actually notice trash piling up on the streets and homes. Areas with bad police coverage were full of gun shooting, drug deals and broken homes. Lack of access to clinics would give you plagued neighbourhoods. Without piped water, the game would state how people are being forced to buy bottled water from shops. Without services, that part of the city would start looking like a realistic shady area with dirty unmaintained buildings.

...Meanwhile cims in Cities Skylines are precious little snowflakes who flee the city just because policeman didn't drive by 5 minutes earlier or garbage truck didn't come around right from the start of the game.

- Related fact - you could build an actual ghetto or an urban-slum type region in SC4 based on above facts. It would even give you a good source of poor uneducated factory workers and labourers. Cities Skylines doesn't even have any poor building models - every structure is clean and straight from some $$$ area. This game lacks wealth simulation, and "levels represent wealth" is a poor excuse.

- SC4 tied traffic to wealth in a realistic way. So for example in rich areas you would see limos and sports cars, whereas in poor areas you'd see sloppy used cars and such, and a healthy mix in middle class areas. Your own assigned Sims (up to 8 of them) would upgrade their cars with wealth.

- Wealth also affected traffic behavior of citizens - wealthy people would always prefer riding in their cars to taking public transport while the masses made good use of bus and metro systems. Wealthier citizens would commute more towards businesses and unique buildings, while working class made more trips (and in far larger numbers) to their work rather than shopping.

- Cities Skylines has no protests or riots (which come with looting) - a very realistic thing that every Simcity game had.

- Cities didn't always need foreign connections in SC4. There are merits and demerits for that, but it allowed you much better flexibility. You could create independent city states.

- Building levels are very similar to each other in Cities Skylines. Compare that to SC4 where each building had three types of wealth, each divided from 9 to 12 different levels. You cannot build an elite rich suburb full of large manors and celebrity homes.

- You cannot manage budgets of buildings individually in Cities Skylines like you could in SC4. If I wanted to build a school that services only the elites living in single specific area and no more, it is simply not possible. If I wanted to run my wind power plants at full capacity but my coal plants at half capacity, the game simply doesn't have that feature.

- Skylines is limited to 4-slot grids alongside roads. SC4 actually had a lot of variety in building sizes, from manors with gigantic garden lawns to wall-to-wall high rises. And as I said you could actually build rural areas and villages with giant farm estates and fields, whereas they were the most pathetic and annoying joke until the latest expansion in Skylines.

- Education was actually more important, because it was more effective in SC4. There were things like libraries, colleges and museums. It had a lot of impact alongside making supply usage a bit more efficient, significantly cutting crime and such. In Skylines you have only three types of education buildings, which only serve to provide workers and maybe have some negligent effects like reduce trash per home.

I'd say this - even as bad as Simcity 2013 was, it had even better system of education.

- Parks in SC4 weren't restricted to road access. This allowed you to build courtyards and plazas of all kind.

- Buildings in SC4 had condition system - things like power plants would degrade over time and realistically lose their capacity to run unless they were rebuilt decades later. Skylines doesn't have that.

- Bulletin board notifications of SC4 were far better in terms of location accuracy and helpfulness than random 1-sentence tweets this game has. Chirper is cute but sometimes its usefulness is dubious.

- Statistics were cleaner and more detailed in SC4, and could be scaled very flexibly. This area has needed improvements in Skylines for a long time.

- RCI display was more detailed as well in SC4, because it was part of the statistics.

- SC4's zonal-based power transit was maybe simplistic, but it was better than having to constantly demolish and rebuild power lines in the early game.

- Did you know that SC4 had elevated ground metro system - something that has never been present in Skylines at all, except a few very glitched modding attempts?

- Parking lots were actually a game feature in SC4. They allowed people to switch transit easily. Skylines only gets them with mods, which aren't always consistent.

Skylines is an amazing games in all other things. Particularly after patches and expansions. But it is not complex or deep enough to be comparable to the Simcity series yet.

So yes, Skylines is a close second but SC4 so far remains the king of modern city builders, especially when it comes to features. Unless more civic depth features are added in C:S, it will remain so no matter how much the blind fanboys try to claim otherwise. :)

Most of the people who call C:S better than SC4 have never actually played it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Well, that's a ton more features than I remember. But weren't all citizens an abstraction, rather than an actual entity as in C:S?

@Will Steel, you forgot the biggest and most decisive difference between the 2 games, map size. CS has a map of worthy size for a city whereas SC has a small 2kmx2km map. Was always a pet hate I had with SC franchise, going from region map to region map. Always wanted a single huge map to play on. In all honesty the 2 games, although similar are completely different games with totally different mechanics.

Interesting. I feel like a lot of that comes out of nastalgia, which I understand, but when given the choice I'm not sure anyone would pick SC4 (which was an excellent game) over CS.
In my case, nostalgia doesn't play any role. I first played SC4 at the turn of 2012/13, and I was still playing the game extensively when CS was released. This also means I had basically a direct comparison of both games' workings that is not marred by any faulty memories or nostalgia. I also played both Cities in Motion games by CO and liked them well enough (the first one was better), which also means I have a good idea where CS was coming from.

There's no need to repeat Will Steel's points, as they are mostly spot-on. As a city simulation, SC4 is still much better than CS. CS shows its roots, the Cities in Motion games, and the traffic simulation is what I find fun about it and why I play the game. As for the economic simulation, I still think it's mostly fudged. It's definitely rather formulaic and uninteresting. I still like the game and play it extensively, as I love the traffic management aspect of CS.

Regarding SC4, it certainly shows its age. I think I still need to edit some system files after my latest graphics card swap, and that's something I could do without (the game works without doing that, but it looks like garbage if you don't). The single-threaded process breaks already down on the largest maps in SC4 (4x4 km^2), which makes it even more of a head-scratcher why EA didn't switch to a 64bit engine for their last SimCity reboot, but alas, that's water under the bridge now.

The other reason why I quoted your post is that, unlike the first half, I agree with the second half. CS certainly took over most of the city builder community. SC4 communities are slowly going the way of the dodo, with hardly any new people joining. It would still be nice to have a game like SC4 again, just modern. Maybe next generation, if it's not all "games a service" at that point in time.

@Will Steel, you forgot the biggest and most decisive difference between the 2 games, map size. CS has a map of worthy size for a city whereas SC has a small 2kmx2km map. Was always a pet hate I had with SC franchise, going from region map to region map. Always wanted a single huge map to play on. In all honesty the 2 games, although similar are completely different games with totally different mechanics.

I wasn't pointing out differences, I was pointing out what SC4 did better than Cities Skylines.

If I started pointing out benefits Skylines has over SC4, the list wouldn't end because Cities Skylines is an amazing game, regardless of missing certain features.

Hi akeela84,

I disagree with you, in my opinion, and I believe also other people would agree with me, Cities Skylines has already kicked any other city builder from their respective throne.

well, at least it did it for myself also, but as this thread has evolved, other people seem to have different opinions in this matter.

I w
ouldn't pick to play SC 4 any time in my near or far future. Specially struggling with the thousands of different buildings and props you could download. After downloading those buildings you could still download the double amount of props and whatever else those buildings needed.
SC 4 is also missing the proper 3D rotation you have in Cities Skylines.

I wouldn't compare SC4 and C:S too much in the graphics compartment. It's clear that SC4 is lacking here, because the game is 14 years older. Though, this didn't bother me too much as SC4's graphics were very good for its time, though seeing the skyline of my city was an old dream since I played SC3k - and C:S made this dream true.

Still, it's a bit unfair to point fingers at such an old game for not having a full 3D enviroment.

And when it comes to downloadable content... Seriously? This is one thing where I can't see any significant differences between SC4 and C:S. (IMHO, making C:S customizable was one of CO's best decisions ever!)

Those two things you are mentioning are not really a big issue to me.

As your two arguments are a big deal to me, either. ;)

Yes it would be nice to individually adjust any buildings budget although this would also be a very micromanaging and rather an annoyances. I do not really wish do click every single building to adjust their funding's.

Oh, you don't have to and just use the global slider. But you have the opportunity to do it.

There is no proper we
alth in Cities Skylines and at the moment I'm not sure if that is necessary.

It's not necessary, I just think it would be good to have it in the game for providing a higher level of realism.

Every game should have their own challenges.

But yeah everyone is having their own liking. ;)

This is true and I agree.

At least, there is one thing very unique to the city builder genre: Aside from scenarios, there is only person who makes up the challenges - it's you.

Best regards,
sys

Hi Will Steel,

you posted a lot of things - some I even forgot about a long time ago. :)

Nope, not at all. Cities Skylines is a very good game, but it lacks a lot of actual management features that Simcity 4 had. There are a lot of examples such as:

- It was actually possible to build realistic rural villages in SC4 vanilla. That is simply not possible in Cities Skylines, where your tiny village of 200 people will demand the same things that your city of 200,000 does.

In fact, I had entire maps (large tiles) where I managed to build a realistic "commuter nation" thing where villages dotted the forested outskirts of the map, each with a few hundred people, who commuted to work in the rich industrial town in the middle.

Yep. I think the main reason for this are the expanding map and the lack of regional play in C:S. Though I like the idea of expanding your city in the game's progress, it sill has its downsides.

-
In SC4, there was an approval rating system, and you had to keep an eye on that. Meanwhile it is actually very hard to make your citizens unhappy in Cities Skylines and your citizens are always happy for some reason. Happiness simply doesn't matter in this game.

I agree. Actually, happiness only matters in the starting phase before milestone 1 before any public services are available. In this phase the citizens will become unhappy over time. (Yes, I'm a very slow player and I take my time - even with milestone 1. ;)) After placing the first school, the happiness will normalize.

-
SC4 was more realistic in that if you made your citizens live in squalid conditions they didn't simply pack up and leave at the slightest discomfort. They would try to deal with their problems for a while, allowing you to build realistic cities with poor services if you wanted.

Partially - when it comes to unemployment, your Sims leave the city faster than they've moved in, while your Cims just stay where they are.

High crime in C:S also isn't a guarantee for your Cims to move out, as welathier Sims will leave the crime ridden parts of your city aswell.

When it comes to power and water shortages, both Sims and Cims act quite similiar: "Give me what I want, I won't wait too long for it."

Okay, poor Sims are usually quite hard boiled in most cases, but medium wealth Sims aren't that patient and high wealth SIms... Seriously. Most of the time, I don't think high wealth SIms are worth the trouble they always cause.

So, I don't think Cims are that whiny as you portrait them.

You could actually see their condition within the game - when you cut off garbage collection you could actually notice trash piling up on the streets and homes. Areas with bad police coverage were full of gun shooting, drug deals and broken homes. Lack of access to clinics would give you plagued neighbourhoods. Without piped water, the game would state how people are being forced to buy bottled water from shops. Without services, that part of the city would start looking like a realistic shady area with dirty unmaintained buildings.

Some details are visible in C:S aswell, like the trash cans i front of the building, but yes: SC4 had a lot more details here. (And don't forget the sad sight of a degraded building, including a very sad ambience.)

..Meanwhile cims in Cities Skylines are precious little snowflakes who flee the city just because policeman didn't drive by 5 minutes earlier or garbage truck didn't come around right from the start of the game.

As I mentioned before: I don't agree with you on this one. Both Sims and Cims have their stronger and their weaker points.

- Related fact - you could build an actual ghetto or an urban-slum type region in SC4 based on above facts. It would even give you a good source of poor uneducated factory workers and labourers. Cities Skylines doesn't even have any poor building models - every structure is clean and straight from some $$$ area. This game lacks wealth simulation, and "levels represent wealth" is a poor excuse.

- SC4 tied traffic to wealth in a realistic way. So for example in rich areas you would see limos and sports cars, whereas in poor areas you'd see sloppy used cars and such, and a healthy mix in middle class areas. Your own assigned Sims (up to 8 of them) would upgrade their cars with wealth.

- Wealth also affected traffic behavior of citizens - wealthy people would always prefer riding in their cars to taking public transport while the masses made good use of bus and metro systems. Wealthier citizens would commute more towards businesses and unique buildings, while working class made more trips (and in far larger numbers) to their work rather than shopping.

Yes, this hits the nail.

Though, also SC4 isn't perfect in this one - more than once I had to declare every building as historical to prevent mansions from being built there just beacause of high demand - it still did quite a good job here.

Okay, the Level 1-3 high density residentials look quite poor here and there. But yes, they're still too clean.

-
Cities Skylines has no protests or riots (which come with looting) - a very realistic thing that every Simcity game had.

But they're hard to trigger in SC4. Seriously, I had to make a dedicated city just to see the riots - though it was worth it. ;)

- Cities didn't always need foreign connections in SC4. There are merits and demerits for that, but it allowed you much better flexibility. You could create independent city states.

Yep. Though I don't miss this too much.

- Building levels are very similar to each other in Cities Skylines. Compare that to SC4 where each building had three types of wealth, each divided from 9 to 12 different levels. You cannot build an elite rich suburb full of large manors and celebrity homes.

And don't forget the maximum building level avaible. This means, skyscrapers are possible in the city centre but are very unlikely to be built in the outskirts.

- You cannot manage budgets of buildings individually in Cities Skylines like you could in SC4. If I wanted to build a school that services only the elites living in single specific area and no more, it is simply not possible. If I wanted to run my wind power plants at full capacity but my coal plants at half capacity, the game simply doesn't have that feature.

As I mentioned in my starting post.

This level of micromanagement was really great in SC4. Well, at least for me. :)

- Skylines is limited to 4-slot grids alongside roads. SC4 actually had a lot of variety in building sizes, from manors with gigantic garden lawns to wall-to-wall high rises. And as I said you could actually build rural areas and villages with giant farm estates and fields, whereas they were the most pathetic and annoying joke until the latest expansion in Skylines.

Yes. The limitation of the growable buildings' size is quite annoying. I don't think, there will be a proper solution for this in C:S 1, as ploppable buildings are just a workaround. (Not a bad one, though, but still a workaround.)

- Education was actually more important, because it was more effective in SC4. There were things like libraries, colleges and museums. It had a lot of impact alongside making supply usage a bit more efficient, significantly cutting crime and such. In Skylines you have only three types of education buildings, which only serve to provide workers and maybe have some negligent effects like reduce trash per home.

Yes and no. Education was in very important in SC4 for the industrial level and for wealthier inhibitants. As there is no wealth system in C:S, it doesn't have such an impact.

But it's still important for buildings to level up.

I'd say this - even as bad as Simcity 2013 was, it had even better system of education.

I think, you're exaggerating on this one.

- Parks in SC4 weren't restricted to road access. This allowed you to build courtyards and plazas of all kind.

Before Park Life, this was really annoying. Especially, when you picked a park that fits into a specific spot - if you could rotate it.

-
Buildings in SC4 had condition system - things like power plants would degrade over time and realistically lose their capacity to run unless they were rebuilt decades later. Skylines doesn't have that.

And I really don't miss this at all. At least, if it could be handled as in SC2k, where you had the option to rebuild it on the spot.

Instead, checking your power plants every 50 years in the game, demolishing and rebuilding them might be quite a bit of realism, but it was only annoying to me.

- Bulletin board notifications of SC4 were far better in terms of location accuracy and helpfulness than random 1-sentence tweets this game has. Chirper is cute but sometimes its usefulness is dubious.

Not really. It was SC3k, that was really shining here.

But SC4's pager wasn't as annoying as chirper, that's true. ;)

- Statistics were cleaner and more detailed in SC4, and could be scaled very flexibly. This area has needed improvements in Skylines for a long time.

- RCI display was more detailed as well in SC4, because it was part of the statistics.

Yes, yes and again yes.

Putting the info graph into the options menu was a very bad design choice. And without any way to change the time scale, this graph isn't nearly as useful as it should be.

And yes, the RCI demand was quite better explained, though as in C:S and also in any SC game as well, I just loosely follow the RCI demand. But this is purely play style dependent.

- SC4's zonal-based power transit was maybe simplistic, but it was better than having to constantly demolish and rebuild power lines in the early game.

Although I have to admit this is true, ironicially I prefer it in the way C:S handles it. (I like to leave power lines in industrial and poor areas and SC4 removing them for me was always annoying.)

- Did you know that SC4 had elevated ground metro system - something that has never been present in Skylines at all, except a few very glitched modding attempts?

To be fair: SC4 had neither trams nor canal fearies wothout modding.

But I miss the possibility the elevate the metro to ground level in C:S aswell.

- Parking lots were actually a game feature in SC4. They allowed people to switch transit easily. Skylines only gets them with mods, which aren't always consistent.

They were quirky in SC4. How often did I watch citizens going to work by car - and returning home by bus.

The only thing SC4 did better than C:S: A car was only available when the journey was started by car. There were no pocket cars.

Skylines is an amazing games in all other things. Particularly after patches and expansions. But it is not complex or deep enough to be comparable to the Simcity series yet.

Yes and no again.

Yes, as of all these things you mentioned were done more or less better in SC4.

No, because (and this is IMO) when you figured out the game mechanics, both games are quite easy to master. (Well, except traffic flow maybe, but this could become a true nightmare in SC4 aswell. ;))

So yes, Skylines is a close second but SC4 so far remains the king of modern city builders, especially when it comes to features. Unless more civic depth features are added in C:S, it will remain so no matter how much the blind fanboys try to claim otherwise. :)

Now you've got me. Yes, I am a Cities:Skylines fanboy - but also an old SimCity fanboy, too. Hmm, quite the conflict here... ;)

But I agree so far: As good as C:S is nowadays, there is still room for improvement. I like this game very much, aswell as I still like the old SimCity games (SC4 and older).

Most of the people who call C:S better than SC4 have never actually played it.

I didn't do it after release. But after the release of all expansions, I'm not sure about it any more...

Well, in the end, it's all about opinion anyway. So I dodge this question and say instead: I really love both games. ;)

Best regards,
sys

And I really don't miss this at all. At least, if it could be handled as in SC2k, where you had the option to rebuild it on the spot.

Instead, checking your power plants every 50 years in the game, demolishing and rebuilding them might be quite a bit of realism, but it was only annoying to me.

Agree. Realism is good for some things, but in other cases, like this one, it doesn't add to the enjoyment, which is more important (to me) than realism.

But SC4's pager wasn't as annoying as chirper, that's true. ;)

It's been too long for me to remember SC4's pager, but I do not like Chirper.

It's been too long for me to remember SC4's pager, but I do not like Chirper.

It's quite a tragedy that no one seems to like chirper. I like the idea and I even like some of these nonsense chirps - still, this thing annoys the hell out of me. (Yes, I play C:S unmodded.)

I have the feeling that chirper is just a tiny bit beyond the spot where it could be useful. Sadly, I have no idea, how this could be done.

The best example of doing it right was IMO the SC3k newsticker: It was simply there, not too fast, not too slow and it rarely begged for your attention, only when absolutely needed.

Best regards,
sys

Skylines is a close second but SC4 so far remains the king of modern city builders, especially when it comes to features. Unless more civic depth features are added in C:S, it will remain so no matter how much the blind fanboys try to claim otherwise. :)

That's kind of dependent on what it is that the player wants from the game. Obviously there is a pretty wide spectrum of players that want different things, and no game will be able to completely satisfy all of them.

I don't really want politics, or too much depth. I like some micromanagement, but don't want too much. I'm more of a "city painter" player, but I do appreciate some management.

CS does have room for improvement for sure, but it's mostly pretty great for what I want from the game.

It's quite a tragedy that no one seems to like chirper. I like the idea and I even like some of these nonsense chirps - still, this thing annoys the hell out of me. (Yes, I play C:S unmodded.)

I have the feeling that chirper is just a tiny bit beyond the spot where it could be useful. Sadly, I have no idea, how this could be done.

I don't use social media, so even Chriper being sort of related to that sort of thing kind of rubbed me the wrong way from the start (that's just me being me).

The main reason I didn't like Chirper though was that most of the "chirps" seemed to be irrelevant nonsense. The odd important thing seemed to get lost in a flood of crap.

I would like better warnings about FIRE, lack of water or electricity, or the sewer backing up. Preferably an audio cue as well as a visual warning.

This, so much this. Periodically going through the city and checking where you had to replace infrastructure was annoying.
This simply led to concentrating the pumps and power plants in one spot so that the chore could be reduced. Or the city experiencing a blackout because of course you do not always keep spare change for a power plant.
That is something which should've been abstracted into the maintenance costs. Similar to how school budgets in SC4 were dominating over the build costs compared to SC3k/SC2k.