• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Introduction

Paintato34343

If you want a job doing, get the army involved
44 Badges
Jan 27, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
1693499761783.jpeg

A Blessed Island Home - A History of Sardinia AAR

INTRODUCTION

Greetings and bene benidu to all you AAR-goers!

My name is Paintato and I'm here to present my first attempt at a CK3 AAR, and hopefully the first attempt at an AAR that lasts more than half a minute. We'll see!

I have only around 100hr in CK2 and 60hr in CK3 so don't expect anything other than just scraping above incompetence. This AAR will be written in the form of a history book, but will feature extensive quotations from the diaries of the main characters. Don't expect countless dribblings and witterings between courtiers about various taxes or whatnot, and I'm not trying to rewrite Game of Thrones either.

We are starting as the Judike of Cagliari in 867, who at game start owns the southernmost three counties of the island of Sardinia. Now, why Sardinia? The primary reason is that someone on this forum said it was an interesting start. However, a more interesting answer is that it is (in my opinion) in one of the prime locations in the game, slap bang in the middle of the Western Mediterranean. It's one of the least divergent languages from Latin, and (in 867) is the westernmost bastion of Orthodox Christianity.
1693501855625.png

My goals for this AAR are as follows:
  1. No cheesing, primarily because I'm too bad at the game to know how
  2. Either stay Orthodox, or create an Orthodox offshoot faith
  3. Reclaim southern Italy and North Africa for the faith
  4. Tell compelling stories and go with the flow of the game

I hope you will join me as we see what this island realm has in store for us all.

Prologue - The Rise of the Florisians

Archon Joseph I Floris (867-889)
1693517127026.png

Chapter One - Joseph I as Judike and Sardinian Unification (867-871)
Chapter Two - The Reign of Archon Joseph I (871-889)

Queen Sophia I Floris (889-924)

1693521229332.png

Chapter Three - The Early Sororiarchy (889-911)
Chapter Four - Archonesa No More (911-918)
Chapter Five - Twilight Years (918-924)

Queen Angioletta I Floris (924-)

1693919788771.png

Out of character text will be in red at the bottom of each relevant chapter!

Last edited:
PROLOGUE - The Rise of the Florisians
Prologue - The Rise of the Florisians

There is great historical debate about the rise of the house of Floris, but the mark they made on Sardinian politics was so swift and sudden that many have concluded earlier records must not have survived. The earliest known member of the Florisian dynasty was Joseph I, and while we know his birthdate (842 AD) we know precious little about his life before his seizure of the Judicadu of Cagliari in 867 AD. His usurpation of southern Sardinia was remarkable given his obscure origins, and some have speculated he was a spurned bastard son of the previous rulers, or perhaps, given his astute knowledge of commerce, he was some form of ascendant but lowborn merchant.

1693504184905.png

Aside from his stunning rise to power out of obscurity and later exploits, for historians the most stunning thing about Joseph was that his diaries, in which he wrote extensively, have miraculously survived until modern times. These provide an unparalleled view into the man's life which gives us a great window into the power politics and personal struggles of small fief-holders in the early medieval period. Frustratingly, like all other documents, little of his diary before 867 remains, which may have been an active decision by Joseph to remove any record of his obscure origins.

The only section that remains from this time appears to have been used as a bookmark by some scribe who didn't know its value, and was found in a copy of a medical treatise in an archive in Cagliari in 2005.

Extract 1 - A bookmark, believed to be from Joseph I's diary (~early 860's AD)
"My dearest beloved Angioletta, how glad I am to be married to her! As hoped for, the signs in the stars were fruitful on the night of our wedding, and I am certain we are to be as one. Went to the market, and haggled a great price on a fine new sword, with which I have been practicing all day, I hope not that I will need to use it, but treachery lies around-"
The rest of the text is missing

1693504367601.png

---
Unsure why the Judesa's stats are zero at the start of the game, but there we go! Maybe that's what I get for getting a wife assigned to me by the character designer...

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
CHAPTER ONE - Joseph I as Judike and Sardinian Unification
Chapter One - Joseph I as Judike and Sardinian Unification

The historical record only reaches as far back as 867 AD, and while our understanding of life in Cagliari at that time is shaky at best there are a few notable features from Joseph I's early reign that stand out.
Firstly, and from the outset, Joseph was always a man keen to rule and rule well. He loved Sardinia greatly and much of his motivation can be ascribed to a perfect synergy between prosperity for his land and people and wealth for himself.

1693508891663.png

However, the Judike's early letters from this time show that simple stewardship and management of the coffers of state was insufficient to produce a prosperous realm.

Extract 2 - From a letter to Marshal Antoninu (Spring 867 AD)
"...As I am sure you are aware the situation of the organisation and command structure of our local militiae is deeply distressing to me. While one cannot complain of the poor marshal tendencies of the common footsoldier I would have expected a damn sight better from the knights of the realm! See to it that we have some competents in charge..."
1693509380569.png

Yet while his less than stellar commentaries about his military staff make him seem somewhat ungrateful for the work many of them must have put in to put him on the throne of Cagliari, the Judike was not above putting in work and notably securing funds for the development of local smithies in the county, to better arm and armour the local forces to protect against bandits and other threats from the hilly interior of the island.

1693509550837.png

Unfortunately, this depleted the coffers to the extent that, when local skilled men-at-arms offered their services with sword and lance to the Judike, he had to turn them down at first as he was unable to pay them
1693509688151.png

Though the stability of the realm was paramount, Joseph still found time to engage in his most passionate pastime: commerce. Albeit, with sometimes not the greatest of results...

Extract 3 - Diary of Judike Joseph I (868 AD)
"I had been visiting the market today, which I do often of late, when I came across a rather poor merchant offering me a good price for a humorous trinket. Enjoying a good joke and feeling up to the haggle I bargained with the man until we settled on a favourable price for the item. How my wife was incensed when she saw what I had bought!"
1693510115189.png

His military woes, however, weren't to last too much longer, as his marshal rapidly promoted promising recruits to positions of command. While their lack of noble blood made these men not exactly the most prestigious bunch, they could fight with a sword as well as the best gentleman could. Which was just as well, as some of them could hardly do much else...

1693510264351.png

Around this time, and despite his usually more forthright nature, we have evidence of forgery in the records archive of the Bishop Austinu at court at the time. What is yet more intriguing is that these forged documents were used by the Judike to establish a claim on the neighbouring Judicadu of Logudoro. It is clear that Joseph I intended to unite the island by both force and subterfuge if necessary.

1693510414557.png

However, none of these dealings are mentioned even slightly in the Judike's diaries, as other matters were more emotionally urgent for him at the time.

Extract 4 - A letter from Judesa Angioletta of Cagliari to her husband, Judike Joseph (Winter 868)
"My most dutiful husband, I bear news which I am sure will delight your ears most graciously. My chambermaids assure me that all the signs are right and that I am most definitely with child..."
Surely enough, in early 869 AD...
1693510829893.png

With the succession (albeit weakly) secured, and with himself in good health. The Judike embarked on what would be his first war of conquest, which sealed him as the dominant ruler of Sardinia. Whilst he already controlled the majority of the island, Joseph likely felt that his newly founded dynasty would be treated with hostility and contempt by the Lacon family ruling from Olbia. He likely felt a need to establish dominance. It didn't hurt that the elite men-at-arms of Judike Arzoccu were pikemen and easily outmatched by the heavy footsoldiers of Joseph's vanguard.

1693511152277.png

1693511156558.png

1693511418312.png

However, all these tactical calculations ended up being moot

Extract 5 - A letter from Judike Joseph I to his wife (Autumn 870 AD)
"...you would not believe the cowardice of these Gallurese my dear lady wife! In their fear of our inspired soldiery the army of Arzoccu has fled over to Corsica!"
1693511470081.png
It was, however, too good of a moment of triumph to last. Just as his soldiers had settled into their seige of the fort at Olbia, news reached their commanding Judike that the Gallurese army had landed at Oristano and laid seige to it. It would be a race against time to capture the town before one of his own holdings fell to the enemy.
1693511649721.png

1693511674962.png

Time was, however, on Joseph's side in the end.

1693511709080.png

1693511724506.png

In the aftermath of the war, Joseph had clearly assumed that the administration of his realm would be much as before, with little extra work required on the part of either him or his councilors. However, the march of his army through Logudoro had been brutal. Stripping the land bare of resources just at harvest time had proved terrible to the local population's health over winter, and now this was a region of poverty and banditry. Unused to receiving demands for tax and orders from Cagliari, many local notables opted to secure their own possessions and petty fiefs rather than establish the Judike's justice over the area. Marshal Antoninu would have to be dispatched to the area to bring the land back into line.

1693512015647.png

Things generally quietened down soon after however, with Joseph being able to celebrate the birth of his daughter Stefania with a tour of the province.

1693512071985.png

Though an expansion of his retinue was deemed prudent, just in case, as well as provisions set aside for the creation of new militia training grounds along the outskirts of Cagliari

1693512178639.png

1693512275482.png

Now in her early thirties, Judesa Angioletta was steadily approaching the end of her childbearing years. While not a problem just yet, Joseph hoped to bear a son soon to properly secure the succession should he pass away too soon.

Extract 6 - A love poem from Judike Joseph to his wife Angioletta
"My sweet dove, your backside is firm yet ample, and of great appeal to me. You smell sweetly of flowers and other most heavenly things, my sugar plum pie"
1693513750012.png

However, there were more serious matters being discussed at court. Was it right for the Judike to use the title of Judike of Cagliari any more? After all, the majority of his realm lay far from the fledgling city on the southern coast of Sardinia, and many started wondering if Joseph shouldn't take the now defunct mantle of Archon.

It didn't take long for Joseph to be persuaded, and with a little donation from the Ecumenical Patriarch in Constantinople to fund the ceremonies, Joseph I was declared Archon of Sardinia, uniting the whole island officially under his rule.
1693513996593.png

1693514010742.png

1693514024238.png

Ever the compassionate man, Archon Joseph I Floris extended a welcoming hand of protection to his defeated foe, the Judike of Gallura, and just like that...

1693514092589.png

Sardinia was united

1693514115829.png

First post complete! I hope this isn't too slow a pace, I'm still getting used to how long to write these so let me know if you're looking for something faster than 5 years per post! The next post should take us all the way through the rest of Joseph's reign, though no spoilers of how long that will be!

1693514310548.png
One little assassination is all you need to throw West Francia into absolute chaos. It's a shame none of that hit Italy though, I'd love to take Corsica and form the Kingdom title :'(

Attachments

• 1693509326676.png
    1693509326676.png
    485,1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
CHAPTER TWO - The Reign of Archon Joseph I
Chapter Two - The Reign of Archon Joseph I
Despite the new title and suzerainty over all of Sardinia life for Joseph I was much the same as it had been before, only he now had a few more subjects to take care of, and in due time children as well.

1693517404585.png
As much as any father loves their children, the lack of a son was weighing heavily on Joseph I's mind throughout the early 870's.

Extract 7 - Joseph I's Diary (Winter 872-3)
"Little Beneita is the joy of my life, and yet I can't help but feel a sense of anxiety at not yet having fathered an heir of my own. Not only for the sake of the realm's stability but also that of my poor daughter Sophia, who will surely be cast down by traitorous jackals should she be thrust by misfortune onto this throne"
Fears over his family's safety and well-being were further exacerbated when King Louis II of Italy calmly suggested in a letter to the archon that a hostage would go a long way to assuaging any fears of ill-intentions between the two men. Joseph was wise to heed these words, as the Italian King held suzerainty over Corsica and posed by far the largest threat to the still fairly minor Sardinian realm. Still, Joseph agonised over having to send his daughter Stefania to the court in Turin.

1693519772744.png

Other issues were also clearly playing on the Archon's mind. There are reports of this time of a great beast that preyed on the villages and farmers of Logudoro, and while local folk legends of man-eating direwolves are exceedingly unlikely, the archon's diary mentions going wolf hunting at this time, making such stories likely more fact than fiction.
1693517684145.png

1693517850742.png

What's more, Joseph's most capable knight, a man known only as 'Luca', was appointed as Master of the Hunt in these same months and proved exceptionally worthy of the title, showing the archon's dedication to ridding the blight of these wolves from his peasants' countryside, or at least dedication to sport.

1693517995424.png

And while folk legends say of a noble troop of knights slaying the foul beast, the archon's diary lists a different ending...

Extract 8 - Lugodorese Folk Tale (Late 9th Century)
"...and out came riding the valiant heroes of old, in crisp shining armour with glinting swords they rode, and felled the beast right in its deepest lair, and ne'er a sheep was murdered ever there..."

Extract 9 - Joseph I's Diary (Summer 873)
"Whilst the journeying was fun, and the sport of it all helped heal the body and soul, I must say I was disappointed we never quite caught the damned wolf..."

1693518343788.png

Despite the archon's anxieties about leaving his realm with no male heir, and having his eldest daughter inherit as an Archonesa, Sofia was growing up to be a formidable political actor in her own right, in what ways a child can.

Extract 10 - Sophia Floris' Diary
"...went with friends to her Angiolina give a practice sermon today. She is ever the most exciting speaker, her voice is like honey! Some rude people who clearly hated god weren't happy, and started shouting at her, but I showed them how Angiolina was my friend and that was that. Father was very pleased with me after that!"

1693518863967.png

It was just as well she was growing up, for her mother was almost out of child bearing age, and was pregnant for the last time.

1693519098152.png

1693519111011.png

With the birth of Maria Floris, the archon lost perhaps his last chance at a son and heir of his own. The weight of the realm would soon now fall on Sofia's shoulders. Paranoia about the succession, and fears for his daughter's safety in Italy, deeply troubled Joseph, who asked his bishop to tend to him as his personal physician in an attempt to stave off the inevitable.

1693519213290.png

These fears were well founded, as scholars are generally in agreement that around this time Joseph likely had the first of a series of migranes, possibly brought on by that very same stress over the succession.

1693519385337.png

1693519443062.png

Things took a slight turn for the better, however, shortly after Sophia's 16th birthday. The girl had wanted an intelligent, quick witted husband and was seemingly thought of as a very choosy woman at court in Cagliari. Her father, meanwhile, was desperate for a matrilineal marriage for his daughter to assure the continuation of the house of Floris. Such a man was hard to find, but find one Joseph did in the Welshman Math Rhosyr.

1693519460259.png

Rhosyr was so talented and sharp of mind, in fact, that when Joseph's spymaster died he appointed the foreigner as the replacement.

1693519694545.png

With inner realm security established by his new son in law, and with a deep need for a distraction from his worries, in 887 the archon turned his sights on Southern Italy

1693520151433.png

While he was attacking a Christian (although Catholic) realm, Joseph's ultimate intentions seem to have been grand ambitions of eliminating Islam from the Italian mainland as at this time the southernmost Italian holdings that were not held by the Byzantines were still in the hands of minor sheiks. Numerical and quality superiority of the Sardinian forces over those of Salerno also likely helped in the choice of this first target, and it may simply be that the archon held a minor grudge or dislike for Prince Guaifer 'the Bald'

The choice of target proved fortuitous, however, as the rotund prince was captured in battle on Christmas Eve 887, soon after the Sardinian force landed, ending the war almost as soon as it had begun.

1693520368996.png

1693520505752.png

His sudden victory in Southern Italy was a complete shock to the local powerbrokers, and the largest of which (the Duke of Benevento) was so concerned as to offer his daughter as hostage in Cagliari.
1693520676140.png

After such a great success, it is almost anticlimactic the way things turned around so fast. At the height of his power, Archon Joseph I Floris had a stroke, his stress over the succession finally coming back to haunt him.

1693520743591.png

Archon Joseph I Floris, uniter of Sardinia and founder of his house, died at only 47 years of age, in the year 889. He left his realm in the hands of his 20 year old eldest daughter Sophia, having never had the son he always wanted.

The time of the sororiarchy had arrived.

1693520834680.png

Was quite annoyed I didn't get any further with this guy, as I quite liked him in the end. If she plays her cards right Sophia has a long life ahead of her (assuming she doesn't pop her clogs quite as early as her father). Lets see how her and her sisters (now her vassals) end up ruling, shall we?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi Paintato! I don't think I've seen (m)any Sardinia AARs before, in any game they're playable. Good luck. You seem to be off to a good start. I hope Sophia does well.

Welcome to AAR writing, and good luck forming a Sardinia-based kingdom.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you! I'm hoping it'll be interesting. The biggest challenge I see at the minute is grabbing Corsica off of Italy, if Joseph had had a son I'd have betrothed him to the daughter of the Archon of Corsica and tried to inherit it, but alas. Hoping that Italy descends into anarchy at some point, or that I grow big enough in North Africa to challenge them directly.

This is a good AAR so far. I'll follow.

Did you make a custom character, or do we just not know much about the Judge of Cagliari in these early years?

Why didn't you just attack the army of Gallura? Were you worried about having too few soldiers for a siege?

Sophia will certainly have a hard time. Let's see how she does.

5 years at a time is fine. Some AARs have less than that per update, and you can always just skip time if nothing really interesting happened.

This is a good AAR so far. I'll follow.

Did you make a custom character, or do we just not know much about the Judge of Cagliari in these early years?

Why didn't you just attack the army of Gallura? Were you worried about having too few soldiers for a siege?

Sophia will certainly have a hard time. Let's see how she does.

5 years at a time is fine. Some AARs have less than that per update, and you can always just skip time if nothing really interesting happened.
Thanks for the kind words! It was a custom character, just tried to come up with some in universe reason for the house of Floris just appearing out of nowhere.

I reasoned that because this was the very early game and neither of us had any seige equipment that by the time they landed I could just win the siege race. I knew by besieging their capital I would win 100% warscore when it fell, so I wasn't that concerned. I'm generally not a fan of winning whack-a-mole battles that just drag out the war for longer.

Reactions:
CHAPTER THREE - The Early Sororiarchy
Chapter Three - The Early Sororiarchy
The relatively premature death of Archon Joseph in 889 left the island of Sardinia reeling. Not only had the upstart dynastic founder not left a male heir, but his realm was shattered between his four daughters. This period of Sardinian history would come to be known as the Sororiarchy (rule of the sisters), and while all four daughters were skilled and capable rulers the societal prejudice of western society against female rulers weighed heavily on them.

The title of Archonesa would pass to the Eldest, Sophia I.

1693655842200.png

What had been a united domain under her father was fractured in the succession, and while she carried the title of Archonesa she only inherited the Judicadu of Cagliari, the capital holding of Sardinia, and the County of Salerno, the Italian colony her father had conquered from it's catholic ruler only shortly before the succession. This arrangement was hardly the most stable arrangement, but it is likely that the alternative would have been worse...

Extract 11 - A letter from Stefania Floris to her sister, the Archonesa Sophia, before her investiture (889 AD)
"...it will surely suffice to say that I will not tolerate being banished to that foreign colony our dear father felt the need to conquer. And I will not have you send Beneita or poor little Maria there either! In taking up the mantle as Archonesa it is your responsibilty to look after your sisters well, and indeed manage the realm father left behind for us..."

1693656486384.png
All three of her sisters were given true Sardinian Judicada to govern, which meant that the Archonesa only exerted direct control over one fifth of the island. Her father's late vision of righteous religious expansion would have to be put on hold, as the finances of the Archonate were precarious at best with fewer direct taxes to be had. Indeed, if Sophia were going to survive and stabilise her realm, she would need friends in high places. As evidenced in her diary, she placed her childhood second-father-figure and adulthood confidante Jagu in the position of spymaster, as someone she knew she could trust.

Extract 12 - Diary of Sophia I (889 AD)
"...it would not do to simply have anyone watching my back for cutthroats and kidnappers. I need a reliable man. Someone I could call a friend... Jagu! Jagu will surely agree"

1693656733010.png

And whatever happened, she knew she had to keep a close watch on her vassals, to make sure they kept true to their familial bonds
1693657108290.png

An opportunity to do just that occurred on the 29th of January 890 AD, her late father's Marshal, Antoninu, disrespected a local baron in Cagliari. Seeing an opportunity, Sophia took the chance to fire Antoninu and replace him with her own sister Stefania, who had only recently reached her majority. While the chop and change of ministers is not something that would typically survive into the historical record from the 9th century, we know of this appointment due to the massive stir caused by picking a 16 year old girl to lead the armies of Sardinia.

But Sophia would not be cowed by anyone.

1693657359247.png

1693657366915.png

But problems shortly began to compound for Sophia. Just after she had clamped down on discontent following her sister's promotion she began to become wary of idle talk concerning her childhood friend Angiolina. Her curiosity shortly got the better of her however...

1693657874664.png

And what's more, soon after this she fell pregnant for the first time. Perhaps a stable succession could be guaranteed by the provision of a male heir?

1693657997330.png

Naming her eldest daughter after her mother proved bittersweet for Sophia

1693658125626.png

And what's more, things weren't any more reassuring in the realm of foreign policy, with the unification of the kingdoms of Italy and Lotharingia resulting in the largest Karling realm bearing down on Sardinia from the North

1693658209959.png

In one matter, however, things were looking up for the young Archonesa. Whilst never an especially zealous woman she appreciated the strong role her faith had in her personal life and governance of the realm, and grew to have a great rapport with her suffragan bishop Austinu. The man was a paragon of Orthodox teachings, and served as a pillar of holy virtue and stability in the realm and on her council.

1693661573063.png

While out on a hunt visiting her sister Stefania the Archonesa gave birth to another daughter, whom she called Sarah. A son eluded her still...

1693661708062.png

The Karling threat from the north, meanwhile, started to deal with itself, as infighting in that dynasty lead to a division of Italy between Bavaria and Lotharingia, isolating the southern Lotharingian holdings. The archones was deeply grateful that neither kingdom would likely levy its forces against the island any time soon.

1693661835939.png

With realm stability both inside and outside restored, and with funds from her rather limited tax base increasing healthily, Sophia decided to restart her late father's infrastructure projects that had been paused for the war effort in Salerno and not resumed before Joseph had died. Sardinia's population was likely increasing at this time, making such decisions prudent.

Extract 13 - Statute for efficiency of landholding in Cagliari (21st of June, 897)
"...and so provided to the minor landholders is the permission and request to improve the stock of this region by clearance of forest and of marsh, and sowing of greater numbers of crop fields..."

1693662136030.png

When her chancellor Felictu of Gallura burned to death in a mysterious accident, Sophia saw yet another opportunity to keep a watchful eye on her sister-vassals. In July of 897 she appointed her younger sister Beneita, now 17 and in her majority, to the position of chancellor.

1693662287023.png

With enough friendly faces around the council table to stave off any immediate trouble, Sophia saw fit to allow the Bishop to travel to the port of Salerno, and proselytise amongst the heretics.
1693662375910.png

The birth of yet another daughter further strengthened the association between Sardinia and Matriarchy in the eyes of foreign dignitaries and vassals alike. After the birth of Christina Sophia now counted three sisters and three daughters.

1693662389055.png

In 890, three became four

1693662569311.png

She had to find a way of tying the realm together. If she did not have a son then Angioletta would only be left with a single Judicadu in Cagliari, from which to govern a rowdy matriarchy. Her eldest needed something more. In May of 901, such an opportunity arose.
1693662725162.png

1693662735487.png

1693662745409.png

1693662772866.png

Whilst the hit and run tactics of the remnants of the defeated army proved harrying for the Sardinian forces, it was not long until Cosenza was added to their mainland holdings. Sophia prayed it would be stable enough for Christina to govern one day...

1693662883421.png

1693662910948.png

1693662922721.png

At long last, and after a brutal 18 month siege of the capital of Cosenza, the heathens finally fell to the Sardinian sword. The reclamation of southern Italy for the faith was working, if only one county at a time. But just when Sophia was preparing to set sail and tour her newest holding, she received grave news from a feast in Arborea.
1693663025840.png
Her darling, if quarrelsome, sister had died, leaving possession of the the Judicadu of Arborea in the tiny hands of Sophia's three year old niece, Judesa Anghela.
1693663104181.png

Sophia was inconsolable. Finding joy only in isolation, and in the saddle. She perhaps sought the thrill of the hunt as a way of escaping her grief. So much so in fact, that she grew to be quite adept at it.

Extract 14 - Diary of Sophia I (903 AD)
"Killed a boar today. I wish Stefania were here to see the prize"
This is the full entry

1693663376165.png

In spite of her grief, however, she still plotted to claim more of Italy for Sardinia. Whilst ostensibly focused on expelling one of the last two muslim holdouts on the Italian peninsular Sophia's diary shows other, more secular motivations. They also show that she was growing increasingly realistic about the possibility of never having a son to name as a single legitimate heir.

Extract 15 - Diary of Sophia I (907)
"...I believe the issue is primarily one of stature. While a mother will always love her children equally one of my children is Sardinia herself and she must be cared for like no other. If I secure enough land and title for my eldest, she will surely be able to withstand further external threat? Dearest Angioletta, if only you knew how much I prepare for your wellbeing..."

1693663391145.png

1693668002068.png

1693668031658.png

Angioletta would soon reach her majority, as her mother prepared a slightly different investiture ceremony for her eldest, and inviting a healthy, young, Orthodox Croat to be her daughter's husband.
1693668142679.png

The archonesa was willing to bend all convention to ensure the survival, and prosperity, of her most important daughter.
The realm of Sardinia.

1693668195487.png

1693668219872.png

Calabria would be an elective realm, but as direct holder of two thirds of the realm, it would effectively be entirely up to Sophia to decide who would inherit it. She would make sure that Sardinia remained stable after her death.

Stable and undivided.

1693668366586.png

Into the 900s now. What a sweep of luck to get 4 daughters in both the first and second generations! I hope that I've rigged it enough to ensure that Angioletta will succeed in both senses of the word, but we'll just have to see!

Attachments

• 1693668253717.png
    1693668253717.png
    465 KB · Views: 0
A sororiarchy and matriarchy indeed! That's quite an improbable streak of daughters in successive generations. But hey, they seem to be doing okay despite all the difficulties such an abnormal (for the time) situation raises.

I assume that the matriarchy wasn't planned? It does make for a more fascinating tale, though - I wonder if this is justification to make the succession cognatic later.

Will Calabrian counties go to Sophia's other daughters? If so, doesn't that risk them deciding to elect a different successor than Sardinia's heir?

Are you aiming to create the Kingdom of Sicily or a Sardinian kingdom?

I thought Lotharingia might be a threat, but it looks like the Karlings are being Karlings, which is good news for you.

I assume that the matriarchy wasn't planned? It does make for a more fascinating tale, though - I wonder if this is justification to make the succession cognatic later.

Will Calabrian counties go to Sophia's other daughters? If so, doesn't that risk them deciding to elect a different successor than Sardinia's heir?

Are you aiming to create the Kingdom of Sicily or a Sardinian kingdom?

I thought Lotharingia might be a threat, but it looks like the Karlings are being Karlings, which is good news for you.

Not planned at all, I simply had 4 daughters in each generation purely by chance! It's definitely an interesting turn and helps to make the story more interesting.

The Calabrian counties also seemed to go with the duchy to Sophia's eldest as far as I can tell, I think that's something to do with them being de jure underneath the title of Calabria.

And shhhhhhhh, no spoilers ;);)

CHAPTER FOUR - Archonesa No More
Chapter Four - Archonesa No More

Extract 16 - Diary of Sophia I (911 AD)
"...I only pray that these arrangements shall be enough. I have secured my father's legacy and I pray given Angioletta an easier time of the succession than I had. The pivot to a dual archonate has angered some petty men who would rather the Italian colonies had never been conquered and our island's affairs left just to ourselves. But I now govern in Calabria much the same as I do in the homeland, and the governance structure must reflect that lest we should see revolts in that country..."
The Archonesa's diary from around the time of the creation of the dual-archonate shows the deep conflicts that she was facing, despite the surface level of stability. She had to simultaneously govern a proud, isolationist island people and one which had been multicultural, multiethnic and multireligious for hundreds of years, deeply torn by warfare by powers big and small. Simply transplanting the laws and codes of the relatively peaceful Sardinia onto the mainland would never have worked, but there were still those who viewed her new title of Archonesa of Calabria with suspicion.

18:18

A further boon to the stability of the realm was granted in the summer of 912, as Sophia's eldest granddaughter, Amira, was born.

1693844603579.png

And, soon after, Sophia decided to reinforce her commitment to her Calabrian subjects with one last assault to rid the Italian peninsula from the last bastion of islamic rule, the small and impoverished Sheikdom of Rossano.

1693844725689.png
1693844740609.png

With this war came an unexpected side effect. Sophia's commanders had been innovating with new methods of organising her soldiers, and put to her a suggestion to make such organisation official: to set aside men, land, and funds for the training and grouping of soldiers during wartime.

1693844850289.png

1693844857281.png

Soon after the gates of Rossano fell to the Sardinian forces, the Archonesa's second-youngest daughter reached her majority. 'Sardinia's daughters' were already a force to be reckoned with, and the Archonesa's reputation as the only one who could manage them all grew equally impressive.

1693845138784.png

1693845157498.png

The reputation of the girls was becoming so significant that major players throughout the orthodox world began to take notice, and with the succession skewed in favour of Angioletta, what would be the harm in marrying Christina, now 4th in line, off to a foreign ruler?

Extract 17 - A letter from King Iakov 'the Wolf' of Bulgaria to Archonesa Sophia of Sardinia (914 AD)
"My dearest lady Sophia, The stellar reputation of your daughters as fiery and passionate young women precedes them, I would most surely accept an offer of marriage to your daughter Christina!"
1693845530987.png
The good times for Sophia would, however, soon come to an end in the most horrible and dispiriting of ways.
1693845628114.png

1693845643554.png

Sophia was crushed by the news, and was deeply troubled by the prospect of her poor daughter being deposed for her leprosy. In her grief she resolved that what her people needed, what her family needed, what she needed was a show of strength and unity.

In defiance of those hoping to reinforce Sardinian cultural supremacy, she took to reinforcing her family's position on the world stage.

And the first step in doing so, would be a coronation.

1693846087650.png

1693846115832.png

Attachments

• 1693844497085.png
    1693844497085.png
    2,7 MB · Views: 0
I like how you edited the arms and name of the kingdom of Sardinia. And by unifying your realm, you will not have to worry about the realm of Calabria being held by another.

I like how you edited the arms and name of the kingdom of Sardinia. And by unifying your realm, you will not have to worry about the realm of Calabria being held by another.
One of the things I love about CKIII is just how customisable everything is. The original kingdom gets localised to Sardegna e Corse but that makes very little in-universe sense considering Corsica is likely out of the grasp of the Floris family for a while. Changing it to Sardegno-Calabria made much more narrative sense to me.

I also just think the stock COA for Sardinia is pretty ugly ;), plus a near-modern-flag COA would be much more recognisable.

One of the things I love about CKIII is just how customisable everything is. The original kingdom gets localised to Sardegna e Corse but that makes very little in-universe sense considering Corsica is likely out of the grasp of the Floris family for a while. Changing it to Sardegno-Calabria made much more narrative sense to me.

I also just think the stock COA for Sardinia is pretty ugly ;), plus a near-modern-flag COA would be much more recognisable.
agreed, the COA is ugly and unrecognisable to most people.
edit: benevento looks like a good target. I expect that you will change the kingdom title when you conquer corsica, right?

Sardinia is now a kingdom!

Also, is that an alliance with Bulgaria? I wonder if they will bring Sardinia into any wars...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sardinia is now a kingdom!

Also, is that an alliance with Bulgaria? I wonder if they will bring Sardinia into any wars...
As a player, I hope not, but as a writer, it may add a little spice to the story!

CHAPTER FIVE - Twilight Years
Chapter Five - Twilight Years

Sophia I Floris now ruled as the first Queen of Sardinia-Calabria, and with the new status came greater expectations from her courtiers and countryfolk alike. There was a risk of Sardinia being seen by outsiders as an upstart Kingdom, with little in the way of historic legacy as a centre of power to fall back on. Sophia thought it prudent to bolster the military, using funds from the recently pacific territories in Calabria.

1693918523056.png

She also had a balance to strike at court. Being a naturally humble woman, Sophia was disinclined to make a grand show of her coronation, and instead took the opportunity to integrate more subtle, local design into her vestments. While not exactly fashionable among the Karling courts to the north, Sardinian dress for Sardinian peoples was seen as a good way to keep people in support of their new queen.

1693918552731.png

However, while she was now at the peak of her power as sovereign, it was clear that her physical health was starting to fail her.

1693918763979.png

Largely bedridden, Sophia's diary becomes largely incomprehensible to us at this point in her reign. Other sources suggest that she devoted on the bare minimums to running the state, instead choosing to focus on smaller passion projects. Passion project may, however, be an understatement, as she personally directed (not to mention funded) the clearance of upland areas for livestock raising in the autumn of 920.
1693918908023.png

And in July 921 she hired a new court physician, clearly worried about the state of her health, as well as that of her leprosy-suffering daughter and heir, Angioletta

1693918972986.png

1693918989515.png

1693918997590.png

Sources also begin to comment that the ageing queen had no wish to remarry, and had largely lost touch with her two surviving sisters. She would be regularly seen at state events, clearly eager to keep up appearances, but there was little doubt. The queen was older than her years.

1693919015910.png

1693919129341.png

She needn't have worried, unlike her father, about the stability or prosperity of her family however. By 922 the house of Floris had grown to 23 living members.

1693919221092.png

Yet despite all the signs that the end would be soon, the old queen still had some fire in her just yet. With the help of her son-in-law, King Iakov 'the Wolf' of Bulgaria, she hoped to take advantage of the brewing Lotharingian civil war to seize the remaining county in the the Duchy of Salerno, which she hoped to pass on to one of her other daughters.

1693919419006.png

1693919430954.png

1693919453560.png

Sophia's forces' use of terrain compelled the Lotharingians to avoid engaging them directly, instead laying siege to Salerno. And while the news was initially troubling that their siege was faster than Sophia's own siege at Camarda, there was hope to be found to the east...

1693919554151.png

1693919605556.png

1693919639583.png

However, just as the walls of Camarda were about to fall, word reached the commanders in field of terrible news from back home. The campaign would have to be ended and the troops ferried home at once...

1693919705816.png

Attachments

• 1693919582207.png
    1693919582207.png
    2,2 MB · Views: 0